• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

I already said Smash far exceeded SF4. Point is that they were separated instead of integrated. Same will probably go for next year. And it burns me a little to know that the the 1000+ Smash fans in attendance and the tens of thousands watching at home won't be able to bitch about watching this boring ass FGC game while waiting for their game to start.

If we all have to go through it why should they be exempt lol

They already do. Melee crowd booing Smash 4 finals at Apex earlier this year.

CurlyW

Smash 4 just offically capped at 512 for CEO. Also, not on the main stage this year.

For the record, Jebailey held a poll on whether players wanted Smash 4 Top 8 on the main stage with 2/3 sets or in the Smash Bros. room with 3/5 sets. They voted for the latter.

ShinMaruku

It's not a community, it's a set of people with intersecting interests that sometimes causes them to be in the same area.

This is precisely why I suggest any set of people who want to get into a major or regional to build up their own base and never try to appeal to people in other fighting games, it's not worth it.

Horseress

That is very true but I said my statement with playing less matches in mind. I'm gonna have to see who's in my pool. My only demon is Prodigy, rocks makes it so hard on me. If that happens, I'll have to play another team braindead.

So Jwong, Fchamp and Chris G are free huh?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Don't worry Yams you'll definitely make top 90 at least

ibygkDZgw8XXaO.png

So Jwong, Fchamp and Chris G are free huh?

I don't consider them demons, but nightmares. They're so strong they aren't even on my scouter. If I face them, I know I'll lose lol

.la1n

The one even I've been to (Toryuken) didnt smell at all. Which majors/events generally have a problem with smell?

EVO is usually a stink fest no matter what venue they've used. The worst is playing against someone in pools that smells so bad you just want to take the loss to get away.

CPS2

I'm realizing I really don't like going to events anymore, even locals. They're just too cramped and crowded, and that makes me feel kinda uncomfortable. You occasionally get smells, they're expensive, and there's a ton of waiting- and the waiting in particular impacts my play- it causes me to get impatient as hell when it's finally my turn to play after a 30 min- 1 hr wait. It's just not fun to me. I'm also more comfortable playing in my own house on my own setup instead of some random setup which has different delay.

I understand it can be fun to others, but I think I actually prefer just playing online. I'd rather put up with a little bit of lag than all that other stuff that irritates me more.
It can be the most boring thing if the event is setup so that all you do is wait. Then when you get a match, you're on a weird monitor, sitting at a distance and angle that you're not used to, and the next match is another different weird monitor with another distance and angle. And if this is what everyone is experiencing you're basically in a crowded room doing nothing for most of the time, with people getting more irritated as time goes on. Doesn't have to be like that, but when its run poorly thats exactly how it is.

Anne

The one even I've been to (Toryuken) didnt smell at all. Which majors/events generally have a problem with smell?

Every time I go to Final Round, it's stank. The Smash room at KiT in 2014 smelled awful, one of my friends walked in, and just said "No" and walked out from it. The main ballrooms at NEC have had stank like crazy, luckily the anime room was fine last year.

East Coast events (outside of CEO) and Smash events in particular have been horrible. I have lots of stories of EC stank from personal experience and friends traveling around.

Mr. X

I think the fgc is a single thing despite being made up of different scenes. As an example we speak the same basic language. Smash players call recovery lag I believe?

No we don't, look at button notation.
US SF sticks to acronyms and the SF2 cab button names like jab short forward fierce roundhouse and nicknames like DP
US anime uses numpad and the in game move names
US Tekken and MK share notations

And then there's scenes that embraced japanese lingo like okizeme and those that didn't
3D and 2D have different meanings for fuzzyguard

Besides those, afaik, might be based on region, grew parallel to other fighting games, not within or with other fighters.

I really wish this "1 Scene" thing would fucking stop already and trying to get forced to happen. It's literally a matter of convenience that tourneys host a bunch of games from different scenes as in "hey there's many popular scenes in this region, let's host an event for them at the same time and split the cost". It's annoying when articles come up about the "FGC" and it's like "no that's a thing from X game scene or Y region, not a widespread fighting game culture issue".

The way people try to group things as FGC reminds me of the way people try to group something as a black thing like there's no individuality.

CPS2

US SF sticks to acronyms and the SF2 cab button names like jab short forward fierce roundhouse and nicknames like DP

And then there's scenes that embraced japanese lingo like okizeme and those that didn't

Besides those, afaik, might be based on region, grew parallel to other fighting games, not within or with other fighters.

I really wish this "1 Scene" thing would fucking stop already and trying to get forced to happen. It's literally a matter of convenience that tourneys host a bunch of games from different scenes as in "hey there's many popular scenes in this region, let's host an event for them at the same time and split the cost". It's annoying when articles come up about the "FGC" and it's like "no that's a thing from X game scene or Y region, not a widespread fighting game culture issue".

The way people try to group things as FGC reminds me of the way people try to group something as a black thing like there's no individuality.

Why are you so salty tho? Did some one body you and call you free? Cos that's how the FGC talks.

Mr. X

Why are you so salty tho? Did some one body you and call you free? Cos that's how the FGC talks.

Homogenizing and trying to erase the differences of each scene/regions culture benefits no one. Like why try to force SF jargon onto the Smash scene? It's "westernization" where SF is the dominant game atm.

Onemic

Naturals law

Top Bottom