• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
J6aXycU.gif

Week of June 22nd to the 28th, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is a place for all things fighting games. News, game discussion, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

zc7cvSk.jpg

4gjwelI.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

Xep7GPe.jpg

Community Effort Orlando 2015 [ Thread ] [ Schedule ] [ Friday ] [ 12PM EDT | 9AM PDT ]
  • The biggest non-EVO tournament of the year is here, featuring both Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V setups at the venue.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Premier Event
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Godsgarden #10 [ Saturday ] [ 5PM Japan | 4AM EDT | 1AM PDT ]
  • Akihabara Cafe hosts GG and BB tournaments in the latest Godsgarden event.
  • Arc Revolution Cup 2015 Qualifier
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here (JP).

GRRINei.jpg

2PsR4NK.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our saltiest member, Captain Rage Quit 69!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
At the moment, I’m focusing my eggs on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. :) That’s the one I’m trying to get competitive with, but I’m also trying to learn traditional fighting games on the side to improve my understanding of the mental neutral game. Right now, I’m learning Killer Instinct (the recent one of course), Skullgirls, The King of Fighters, and Arcana Heart 3 for fun. They’re all well-made games, and while I don’t put nearly as much time into them as I do Smash, I’d like to think I learn a lot from getting stomped by people and learning how to play patiently.

All time favorite would be Super Smash Bros. Melee, because I’ve probably put more hours into that than any other and even now I still play it.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
From the current selection? I guess I really dig custom assists from Skullgirls. Makes for a lot of personalization, and it’s good to not be limited to shit options because the character itself is good. Also, Baroque from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom because even though it’s an old game I just love the idea of doing something with your red health. Half the time I’m getting beat too much to regen it back, might as well let me use it for something! In fact everything in TvC was fun bring it back Capcom pls

I really don’t like the rage mechanic in Smash for Wii U and similar comeback mechanics in general, I dislike how suddenly attacking the other player makes them stronger and more likely to KO me even though I’m outplaying them. Special mention to Lucario’s aura, it’s just awful. His attacks have awful startup, but I shouldn’t get killed at 30% because I got grabbed once.

Also #BanCustoms.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
I had MvC 1 and 2 for Dreamcast and played them all the time when I wasn’t playing Smash 64, so that’s that I guess. I never took them too seriously until a few years ago when a high school security guard taught me how to play Street Fighter, and I started learning competitive Smash from a math teacher so I started playing seriously about a year ago.

I also like RPGs, action games, platformers, arcade racers, and turn-based games like Fire Emblem.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Tough question, really tough. If you mean “appeared in a fighting game” then Yukari Yakumo from Touhou Hisoutensoku. If you mean “created for a fighting game” then Ibuki from Street Fighter, because she’s cute and I like ninjas.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
My style in Smash at least would be something of opportunistic play. I’m no stranger to blocking until they stop, and the moment they stop is when I start. However, I’ll also create opportunities by throwing things out to try and force reactions out of people. Most players have certain “typical” reactions that I can easily punish because everyone does it. Once they break out of that habit, I just gotta give them new habits and minimize my own habits. Any other fighting game I’m spamming special moves hoping for that jab-jab 2-hit combo orz

Oh, and I stick to online because I can’t drive out to my local events right now and I can’t keep paying entry fees every time, I’m saving for more video games I’ll never play.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I guess a strength is knowing what players expect and doing the right unorthodox action that catches them off-guard and lets me get in. It’s typically my bread and butter, as general as it sounds.

A weakness would definitely be my overall inexperience. I’ve only started playing recently, I have nobody locally to play with on a regular basis, and as such I get all my experience by playing in ranked matches against players I play once and move on with. At least I have SmashGAF to play with, but they don’t play everyone at high levels.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best would be making it to top 16 in winners at Combo Breaker for Smash for Wii U, my first major tournament!

Worst would be getting knocked out immediately after because my tournament nerves broke out in full force, and I was very unfamiliar with both of the matchups I lost to. I’m not used to playing on stage, so my mind self-destructed as time went on. :( Maybe next time!
What do you want from future fighting games?
Port them all to PC, give them good netcode and please support them after the honeymoon period. Also better tutorials for new players.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I nominate FSLink since he volunteered, thank goodness. Everyone on SmashGAF is so humble. >.>
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
The new Star Wars Battlefront, Fire Emblem Fates, and probably Super Mario Maker later on.

DoOLzrD.jpg

Code:
06/30  BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend (NA)
07/07  Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
SUMMER Skullgirls 2nd Encore
MARCH  Street Fighter V
2015   Rivals of Aether
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Pokken Tournament
TBD    Rise of Incarnates
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

Xh9JZur.jpg

7sedsM9.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

0PL0LKy.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ZkB0lTh.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

NRLZHfC.jpg

Fraud City [ 7:30PM EDT | 4:30PM PDT ]
  • Bifuteki streams tournaments for 4 games (UMvC3, USFIV, MKX and KI) in pairs on a rotating week-to-week schedule.
HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
Churning The Butter [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A relatively new USFIV tournament out of San Francisco, hosted by ShowDown Entertainmnet.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

TV7kycg.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

lWqwD5P.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

zmCvT4x.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

X6W2n28.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

rudhdjL.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Great title Enzo. Repost from last thread, I'm gonna squeeze out all the info I can get.

When people crouch tech with a different button, it's to counter certain moves. For example, let's say you're using Ryu and do a basic crouch tech. In this scenario, your cr.lk will come out. When you go up against an Evil Ryu player, they might recognize that and go for a hop kick. This will go over your cr.lk and he'll be able to punish you. If you decide to crouch tech with mp instead, it will stuff his hop kick. Consequently, by using a slower move to crouch tech, it leaves you more susceptible to frame traps.

This makes a lot of sense. Now my question is, after reading the comment below this one is, how would I do a crouch tech with cr. mp?

cr lp + cr lk + cr mp?

Also, since we're on the subject of all of this, what in gods name is plinking? I can plink dash in marvel, albeit not consistently lol, but I have no idea what the actual concept is behind it or how to even do it on pad...

Cr lp + Cr Lk

You really didn't know about cr tech before?

Nope. I had to teach myself how to play fighting games from the beginning and strictly went on instinct lol. After talking it out with juicebox, I'm eliminating the instinct part and transitioning to smarter play with knowing what buttons to press and when to press them.

vulva

Great title Enzo. Repost from last thread, I'm gonna squeeze out all the info I can get.

This makes a lot of sense. Now my question is, after reading the comment below this one is, how would I do a crouch tech with cr. mp?

cr lp + cr lk + cr mp?

Also, since we're on the subject of all of this, what in gods name is plinking? I can plink dash in marvel, albeit not consistently lol, but I have no idea what the actual concept is behind it or how to even do it on pad...

Nope. I had to teach myself how to play fighting games from the beginning and strictly went on instinct lol. After talking it out with juicebox, I'm eliminating the instinct part and transitioning to smarter play with knowing what buttons to press and when to press them.
If you wanna learn how to play fighting games well and intelligently, I've got a kickstarter that could be your miracle answer https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1971911333/upping-your-fighting-game

Zissou

Ogawa on the Xrd OS:

@ogawazato: @ginginaka 確実にバランス壊すバグですね

translation: but really, this is a bug that will destroy the balance of the game.

Good thread title, Enzo. I can't believe it's Sunday. Moving is so exhausting.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

I can't believe there's over a hundred single-spaced pages dreaming of a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 patch that's never going to happen. Like damn son.

Good luck to Karst anyway.
I don't regret any of it. I had a lot of fun discussing everything, and I learned a ton about the game in the process.

fader

Ogawa on the Xrd OS:

translation: but really, this is a bug that will destroy the balance of the game.

what is the bug? I only know its proximity guard or something

Zissou

what is the bug? I only know its proximity guard or something

Can read the details here. Long story short- you're right that the range at which the OS can be used seems to dependent on the range proximity guard is triggered, but the bug allows you do one set of inputs which gives you a special move if the opponent presses a button but gives you faultless defense if they don't press a button. People have made this work with stuff like Sol's grand viper and Leo's DP already. I.e., press a button, you get DP'd, do5 press a button, Leo does FD for a fraction of a second.

CMZinac

Neo Member
Ogawa on the Xrd OS:

Ogawa tends to be pretty dramatic. We don't know the extent of this OS until we start seeing it effect tournament play. Honestly, I'd wait and see how effective it ends up being. Though, everyone I've talked to on the US and Japan side seems to want it fixed.

Ogawa tends to be pretty dramatic. We don't know the extent of this OS until we start seeing it effect tournament play. Honestly, I'd wait and see how effective it ends up being. Though, everyone I've talked to on the US and Japan side seems to want it fixed.

Anne probably doesn't :p

People are joking about reverting to AC+R here already :p

Anne

Anne probably doesn't :p

People are joking about reverting to AC+R here already :p

This is a bad OS. It adds a new layer of stuff that can be considered, but it also makes a lot of things less interactive and fun. OSes like this are horrible for the life of a game if they end up being a big thing.

You can go back to AC+R where you can infinitely input a negtive edged input with a macro I guess.

Edit: apparently they removed that.

This is a bad OS. It adds a new layer of stuff that can be considered, but it also makes a lot of things less interactive and fun. OSes like this are horrible for the life of a game if they end up being a big thing.

You can go back to AC+R where you can infinitely input a negtive edged input with a macro I guess.

Edit: apparently they removed that.

Can't even joke ;_;

Yeah, they removed it from the Steam version at least.

Anne

People are treating OSes like witchcraft on twitter right now lol. As much as I /love/ exploring engines and pushing to their limit, I do have points where I know we went too far lmao.

Piccoro

Its that time again...
mFknDRm.jpg

Any music from The World Warrior (1991!).

A like how every music speeds up when one of the fighters is low on health. Nothing gets me more motivated to make a comeback/finish the opponent.
They implemented this in Ryu's Smash stage, FYI.

Its that time again...

Don't get me started...I love so many fighting game tunes, and pretty much all of them get me pumped.

For now, I'll say Thunder's theme from the new KI. Once that crescendo kicks in, it's time to get busy.

And because it's an easy answer to the wording of the question, I'll say Vergil's theme from Marvel 3.

I rewatched the Infiltration vs Momochi match and Kokujin yells "This is PS3!" after Infiltration failed to hit confirm ch medium punch into ultra. :lol

Its that time again...
mFknDRm.jpg

I don't think any, really. Mostly a good song just gets me in a good mood and to really enjoy playing the game.

For that:
UNIEL Rushing Heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4poG9l7-ZZg
UNIEL: Monochrome Memory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgp7gu1ZnIU
KOF13: Esaka Continues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACW36lBGvsY (the whole soundtrack works, really - they didn't call it The King of Soundtracks for nothing)

KOF '96: Soul Road probably takes the cake, though. I've listened to it for whole days on accident because the stream station played it and been super hyped the whole time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-hCzwaKW0

Top Bottom