• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

joe2187

Banned
Everything about this post has me so confused. I think I'm jealous of you? I mean, I don't think anything I like ever had a chance of being on BET but you get to play SFV.

They took SFV to a BET event?

According to the schedule on the Arcade cabinets, SFV is gonna be making the rounds at nearly all the Six Flags parks across the country. But would be playable at the California six flags from Jul 7th till Dec 30.

Combo, Justin wong, floe, gootecks and a bunch of others were there, got a chance to get my ass handed to by some of them. HipHopGamer was there carrying around a big ass wrestling belt. Then we were forced off a cabinet so Gootecks can play against some BET reporter and have us act like a fake background hype crowd.

Village

Akuma is sf scorpion
He isnt the main protagonist, but everyone loves him because he's edgy.And he is loved internally too. Which isnt bad, liking edgy stuff is quite fine.

Akuma is sf scorpion
He isnt the main protagonist, but everyone loves him because he's edgy.And he is loved internally too. Which isnt bad, liking edgy stuff is quite fine.
Yes, we all know you like edgy stuff since you're always defending Shadow the Hedgehog (character AND game).

Yes, we all know you like edgy stuff since you're always defending Shadow the Hedgehog (character AND game).

it all makes sense

The Venn Diagram for fans of Shadow/Akuma/Scorpion/the Red Hood must just a bunch of circles overlapping each other

all Scorpion needs is a red and black look to fit in with his edgy "badass" crew

joe2187

Banned
I like akuma, he's the only shoto I like really. He has great mobility compared to the rest, which is what I look for in terms of characters.

Village

it all makes sense

The Venn Diagram for fans of Shadow/Akuma/Scorpion/the Red Hood must just a bunch of circles overlapping each other

all Scorpion needs is a red and black look to fit in with his edgy "badass" crew

Yo you arent even wrong

Add wesker, virgil, dr doom, damien wayne, dio brando, the dino bots, Raphael from the ninja turtles, brolly,zero, rosalina, c viper and juri, and the evil color pallet in fighting games to them list of circles

Shouta

Udc6cxO.jpg

Being able to do this with the new laptop is pretty awesome, lol. I just need to tweak the settings to get more time out of the battery.

That the design work as intended doesn't make it a good design. By that logic, every scantily clad, dressed to impress female character in a videogame is a good design.

You guys keep throwing out the term lazy and cheap design without really any sort of reasoning to substantiate it. It just is, apparently. Rufus' design isn't subtle but few street fighter characters are.

Like...this isn't me about me praising Rufus' design as the greatest thing ever. It's more about seemingly everyone here putting the other designs on a pedestal.

Is it wrong that I'm currently more interested in KI than SFV? Not hatin on SFV...it looks good so far, but I'm on the fence still after what I saw as to whether It'd fit me. KI just looks like more fun to me so far.

Wish there was a new tag fighter with assists though. Thats my real love interest. Just haven't felt the same towards fighters in ages without one.

1. Find friend.
2. Kidnap friend.
3. Boot Chaos Breaker.
4. ???
5. Profit.

KI just doesn't do it for me, personally. I don't like the combo breaker system, it feels very tacked on and artificial and the design is just... eugh. I guess I'll still try it someday when it comes to PC, if only for the soundtrack.

Hideous, really. Plus arguably top tier over multiple versions.

I wouldn't call Rufus top tier. He's good, but not that good.

That's a problem that exists to some extent in nearly every fighting game ever made, so I can't see how SFV would completely fix that. Stuff like getting random specials in neutral because you grazed down-forward at the wrong time while waking back and forth could probably be fixed, though.

Guilty Gear does a surprisingly great job at avoiding overlapping inputs on the same button.

If you look at Sol, for example, there's very little actual overlap yet he has a pretty long special move list. The only major overlap is Wild Throw overlapping with Bandit Revolver/Bringer.

Ky sadly has fireball/dp overlap that could easily be solved by turning fireball into qcb for example.

Not a fan of close normals either. Why can't my champagne bottle just be a button Elphelt? Why?

This is why we have 2S.

Can anyone recommend me any feint characters outside of Street Fighter and Tekken?

I currently main Viper, Baek, and Hwoarang.

Faust's drill cancel mixups in GG have room for a bunch of hideously dirty feints.

kirblar

In a series full of stereotypes, some comedic and some not, people are complaining about a fat AMERICAN fighter.

OK then. I think Rufus' design is great, even if I don't like fighting him. At least the last few posts were better than "he's so fat why is he alive" like dahbomb proposed.
The problem is that the caricature..isn't caricaturing anything. It's a fat guy wearing Bruce Lee colors. Hakan, Fuerte, Abel, Juri, even Viper to a degree- you can get the gist of it when you first see them.

wait juri isn't a lesbian, she's just into muscles/fit people.

and chun-li is cute enough that everyones loves her. just comes with territory.

Tripon

In a series full of stereotypes, some comedic and some not, people are complaining about a fat AMERICAN fighter.

OK then. I think Rufus' design is great, even if I don't like fighting him. At least the last few posts were better than "he's so fat why is he alive" like dahbomb proposed.
Bob in Tekken is the way better fat American. He would best Rufus in a fight.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I should have figured that asking that would get nowhere so

"Its remarkable to me that he can have so many traits of the lazy, overweight American and somehow none of the charm, comedy or likability of similar portrayals in other media found its way into Rufus. "

I rather hear an example of that.
Start with the casts of Family Guy and The Simpsons to start? Maybe not as lazy but Fat Albert? They all have their own degrees of foolishness/stupidity as a trait, and these TV characters have way more material to define their characters however all but Rufus have much more charisma and visual appeal.

The problem is that the caricature..isn't caricaturing anything. It's a fat guy wearing Bruce Lee colors. Hakan, Fuerte, Abel, Juri, even Viper to a degree- you can get the gist of it when you first see them.
Yep, that's exactly the goal with characters too, to evoke a very specific archetype. Rufus fails because he's so visually everywhere.

Before super when Juri's character description was put up one of her likes was "big breasts" before they took it down.

This is why the SRK juri thread is "Purple Spider Lesbian" or something along those lines.

Bob in Tekken is the way better fat American. He would best Rufus in a fight.

Comparing Rufus to Bob is a good way of showcasing the differences between Tekken character design philosophy and Street Fighter.

And well, Street Fighter is the game that's holding its head above water with 'iconic' designs.

ShinMaruku

Whispers say she's into Ryu.

I think either in the game or a earlier draft she begs Evil Ryu to stop or some shit like that. He's that much of an edge lord that Juri got weak in the knees

She is a dark Chun after all.

Start with the casts of Family Guy and The Simpsons to start? Maybe not as lazy but Fat Albert? They all have their own degrees of foolishness/stupidity as a trait, and these TV characters have way more material to define their characters however all but Rufus have much more charisma and visual appeal.

Yep, that's exactly the goal with characters too, to evoke a very specific archetype. Rufus fails because he's so visually everywhere.

Rufus does fit an archetype. What you don't understand it's that based on Japanese sensibilities, not American ones, even though it's an American character.

And the visual appeal of a dress shirt and blue pants? For a Street Fighter game? Am I supposed to think more of Homer Simpson's chicken doodle fragments of hair?

Village

Akuma is not Scorpion. He is Reptile back when he was cool and not a freakin' humanoid lizard.

Akuma is certainly scorpion

Also I like reptile as a lizardman, infact I saw the concept art where he had animal legs and was super elongated and think that like that art, he should even be even more lizard. I want MKXI reptile to be just a lizardmen. Just alltypes of lizardmen

Skab

So a little over a week ago, Qloc added some files to MKX, and more recently some HVS files were deleted.

More signs pointing to Qloc having taken over the PC port. This is very good news.

Raiden is a dumb fuck though...he is literally the stupidest person in the MK universe.

Raiden is actually the main villain, I found it hilarious when they bullied him in that circle in the story mode.

If the next MK story has Dark Raiden invading other worlds or something like in his and Scorpion's arcade ending, I want to see Reptile aka the Chiaotzu of MK actually win 1 fight. Baraka is the Yamcha because his ass actually got murked.

Skab

Raiden is actually the main villain, I found it hilarious when they bullied him in that circle in the story mode.

If the next MK story has Dark Raiden invading other worlds or something like in his and Scorpion's arcade ending, I want to see Reptile aka the Chiaotzu of MK actually win 1 fight. Baraka is the Yamcha because his ass actually got murked.

Then who's Tien?

Then who's Tien?

I was gonna say Kotal because he won some fights early in the story mode like Tien in OG Dragonball, but later in the story gets his ass whooped like it's everyone else's job like Tien in Dragonball Z. It also helps that Kotal is basically Reptile's superior too.

And of course, Scorpion is obviously Piccolo. Bad guy turned good, relatively decent power level, and even raises some other deadbeat dad's kid.

Top Bottom