• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of March 23rd to the 29th, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibg8VoGHXS8BOI.jpg

ibcFc4B35Sbsvs.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Red Bull Kumite [ Saturday ]
Aftershock [ Additional stream: Clash Tournaments ] [ Saturday ] [ 10AM Texas | 11AM EDT | 8AM PDT ]
Extra Life Charity Tournament [ Saturday ] [ 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iOANY4Klspmlh.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at ShinMaruku!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
I currently play Dead Or Alive 5: Last Round and Ultra Street Fighter 4.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
My favorite mechanic from the current slot of games would probably be Snap backs in Doa5:LR tag mode. Too few people play tag but if you use a snap back you can remove a lot of recoverable health as well as set your self up back to neutral. My least favorite is probably false roman canceling as it removes some of the complexity from the game that people enjoy. I don't like things that Take away bar myself.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Probably DOA2 got me inot fighting games. I saw a ninja who had great honkers and I thought to myself "I'll give this a shot for my first dreamcast game and from then I was hooked. I tend to go to action rpgs and action games more than anything. I love a game with a deep combat system that I can really exploit. So the DMC games ,Oneechanbara and Ninja Gaiden are my Jam.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
My favorite fighting game character is probably Ayane from Dead Or Alive. Her back story is probably one of the darkest in fighting games, she's the illegitimate Ninja Princess of her clan, her mother is one of the leaders along with her father's brother, and her father comes in and rapes his brother's wife and she's born.

That adds to the fact that 1 she's a rape baby and the fact that her father was supposed to be heir to the clan adds much more social stigma to her. That gives her a bitter exterior, but under neather there is one of the sweeter DOA characters.

I also love her play style that she's a fast character who has crushes on her moves that serve her as a counter hit character who has launches and high damaging combos.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
My style of play is rush down. Or Fishing for counter hits or holds in DOA, when I pick Momiji for example I press buttons that make people mash counter, then they get thrown for 40% of their life and she look pretty doing it. My rush down style makes people try to mash that and get thrown.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
My biggest strength is my unconventional play, people think I'm not going to do it, and I DO do it. My Weakness is I need to work on my defense. Sometimes I play patient then I just sometimes just auto pilot.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best Moment is when I had a epic 14 min match in Tag on DOA5U where a guy has been beating me for the past hour I lock down and beat him. Worst Moment is when I did a long set in SF4 and got just beat down for 2 hours and just got to the point that I did not play sf4 for 2 months.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Future fighting games should have a well structured story and good way of teaching new players. Using resources made by fans to teach new players is not accessible.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
I vote for Marz he played a few sets with my on sf4 even though Im terribe :p
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
I plan to buy Senran Kagura Estival Versus and Onnechanbara Z2 Chaos, those games have no shame and I respect their hustle.

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
SUMMER BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Skullgirls Encore
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Rise of Incarnates
TBD    Street Fighter V
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

I wanna make sure clockwork sees this b/c he probably wasnt looking at last week's thread/final round thread, but he looks way better going with the shaved head look. 10/10

My...title got..picked....?

biblethump-bf4-emblem_1.jpeg

EDIT: Seriously, though.

That fake leaked roster got me thinking. Since SFV is rumored to be after 3rd Strike, do you guys think they're gonna go with a 3rd Strike-heavy roster?

Sweet love these threads. Also enzo you were from the G4 Xplay forums weren't you lol Remember me lol I used to do the PSP community threads over there.

So I went to Final Round and participated in USF4

Good news: I went 2-2, nice to break even.

Bad news: I didn't actually beat any human beings in the game. My two wins were because of no shows lol

This was my first tournament in a year and a half and I wasn't pleased with the way I played. I tried to be solid and respectful. When you're not actually that good maybe it would be good to go a little crazy and disprespectful, who knows. But it was a good experience and I'll try to learn from it the next time I attend a tournament.

Besides that FR was fun. I just wish they would have a bigger venue so you could actually watch pool matches. The walk way beside the pools are always completely flooded with the players and random people trying to watch matches, especially when top players are playing.

I completely forgot that Gamerbee is also going to NCR.

NCR: Gamerbee, Momochi, Bonchan, Poongko, Pugera
Hypespotting: Tokido, Mago, Xian, Kazunoko (r/kappa has the funds and they're discussing it right now)

Not sure which event Daigo will attend yet.

Besides that FR was fun. I just wish they would have a bigger venue so you could actually watch pool matches. The walk way beside the pools are always completely flooded with the players and random people trying to watch matches, especially when top players are playing.

Yeah i figured something like this would happen, i hope they add wifi if they don't already to the venues so i can just watch the stream link even while im physically at the event lol.

Capcom cup should have been 16 not 32. 32 is too much, 16 is more elite. There's going to be some weak qualifiers by the end.

Yeah i figured something like this would happen, i hope they add wifi if they don't already to the venues so i can just watch the stream link even while im physically at the event lol.

I considered watching the stream on my phone while I was there. I do like watching with commentary, but that's not why I said that. I said that because if you don't get a seat it's hard to watch the main stream even though it's being blown up on a projector. I spent an hour sitting at the end of a row watching the main stream while waiting for my pool to start. Half the time their were people who decided to stand right beside the end of rows ahead of me and blocked my view :|

I did see some great matches live though. I think my favorite might have been Gilty vs Julio. The crowd really got into that match and it erupted when Gilty won. Then she blew a kiss at the end to seal her victory.

I think the only free ranking event was Abuget cup. A lot of players got points that they're usually not good enough to get. Cannes and 9 States had a lot of competition.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The return of Oro?

Nah, its more likely to be Urien based on how the story for 3rd strike goes. Charlie has a gem on his forehead reminiscent of Urien's gem. Urien and Gill are related and are involved in the illuminati or some secret organization that genetically modified them. Looks like Charlie can control wind or something crazy like that or maybe time due to his teleports.

So I went to Final Round and participated in USF4

Good news: I went 2-2, nice to break even.

Bad news: I didn't actually beat any human beings in the game. My two wins were because of no shows lol

This was my first tournament in a year and a half and I wasn't pleased with the way I played. I tried to be solid and respectful. When you're not actually that good maybe it would be good to go a little crazy and disprespectful, who knows. But it was a good experience and I'll try to learn from it the next time I attend a tournament.

who did you lose too

who did you lose too

I lost to a Vega player in my first game and a Cammy player in the 2nd. I think both players were just flat out better than me, especially the Vega player. But I think I could have beaten the Cammy player if I had noticed certain things earlier, took more risk, and not dropped a couple of crucial combos. But those things happened and I can't spend too much time feeling regretful about it. I'll just try to learn from it. Another thing though, running into a Cammy is so rare nowadays that I somehow forgot to look for dive kicks on wake up. Kept blocking like a cross up was coming. That's probably what I feel most disappointed about in my play this weekend.

didn't realize its 32 players for capcom cup. Holy shit thats a lot. I tried naming a few and there are definitely power gaps in long sets.

Lets name some of the top of the top players

1) daigo
2) sako
3) momochi
4) bonchan
5) itabashi
6) snakeeyes
7) kaz
8) ryan hart
9) pr rog
10) dieminion
11) ricky ortiz
12) justin wong
13) fuudo
14) xian
15) gackt
16) uryo
17) tokido
18) nemo
19) infiltration
20) xiaohai
21) dakou
22) gamerbee
23) luffy
24) pugera
25) nuckledu
26) eita
27) poongko
28) smug
29) Arturo
30) humanbomb (does he play?)
31) pepeday
32) problem X
33) chris G
34) f-word
35) valmaster
36) latif
37) fourwude
38) hsien chang
39) julio
40) sanford
41) kojikog
I think top 16 and make it first to 5 would of been better because there is a definite power gap between players. There will be a lot of "free" players. I didn't even name people like kbrad! jk

edit
Like, it is an actual stretch to name 32 players that are near the same level.

Rhapsody

Banned
Been dying to play people all weekend since I've finished finals. Everyone's dodging. lol

The moment I get back to school, everyone's going to ask me to play again.

ShinMaruku

Final round was so good with XIan retaking his spot and the DOA5:LRE top 8 rounding out being quite nice.
Also if you guys want to see some DOA matches and pick the brain of some of the players you can check out the DOA thread. :)

There's a lot more players that are at that level and better than a lot of those names.

Shiro
Nishikin
Inco
Michael Tan
Hagejin
Cantona
Kindo
Santarouman
Ninomae

They just don't travel as much. Those guys have done well in stacked tournaments in Japan which is more than what some of the other players are capable of. Then you have players like Haitani and Kindevu where if they decided to really compete would be up there as well. Kindevu is going to EVO, but I'm not sure how much he's planning on playing compared to how he was throughout Vanilla - AE.

naw

all I want is for Haitani to switch back to Makoto and place at least top 8 at Evo/go to Capcom Cup

zoutlaw

Banned
I hope SF5 is Third Strike heavy.

Q, Alex, Urien, and Oro... even Sean. Make Sean useful and take the "Dan" in this game. Keep Blanka out of it no matter what.

Codeblue

I completely forgot that Gamerbee is also going to NCR.

NCR: Gamerbee, Momochi, Bonchan, Poongko, Pugera
Hypespotting: Tokido, Mago, Xian, Kazunoko (r/kappa has the funds and they're discussing it right now)

Not sure which event Daigo will attend yet.

I like Kazunoko's odds if he winds up at Hypespotting. He'll get his wish of playing at a Momochi-less tournament.

didn't realize its 32 players for capcom cup. Holy shit thats a lot. I tried naming a few and there are definitely power gaps in long sets.

Lets name some of the top of the top players

I think top 16 and make it first to 5 would of been better because there is a definite power gap between players. There will be a lot of "free" players. I didn't even name people like kbrad! jk

edit
Like, it is an actual stretch to name 32 players that are near the same level.

Does Haitani still play? I haven't seen him on stream since last Evo.

I look forward to the return of Daigo's Urien

igaA93QPDaiNg.gif

I like Kazunoko's odds if he winds up at Hypespotting. He'll get his wish of playing at a Momochi-less tournament.

Does Haitani still play? I haven't seen him on stream since last Evo.

Haitani was at the Topanga exhibition in January and he took part in Mix up Night a month ago. Not sure if that's just for fun or if he intends to compete for Capcom Cup.

Um, hello everyone.

I'm no regular here or anything, but does anyone here play more obscure fighting games, like the Touhou spinoffs or French Bread stuff or Arcana Heart? I admit I've been curious to give these games a try even if their community may have since moved on, just because I'm always looking for unique fun experiences. What can you guys tell me about these types of fighters, or if there are similar games with active scenes?

There's a lot more players that are at that level and better than a lot of those names.

Shiro
Nishikin
Inco
Michael Tan
Hagejin
Cantona
Kindo
Santarouman
Ninomae

They just don't travel as much. Those guys have done well in stacked tournaments in Japan which is more than what some of the other players are capable of. Then you have players like Haitani and Kindevu where if they decided to really compete would be up there as well. Kindevu is going to EVO, but I'm not sure how much he's planning on playing compared to how he was throughout Vanilla - AE.

of course there are a few more but at this rate its mostly japanese players that are at that level. I named a bunch of players from different regions and you can tell there is a power gap between some of the players (and not a coincidence its mostly a regional thing)

I know of nishikin and michael tan, though michael tan did go 0-5 in topanga a league lol.

Its just that 32 players is way to much for the capcom cup (imo), a tournament that is supposed to have the best of the best. I'd rather take a 16 player FT5 then 32 players 3/5.

petghost

Banned
Um, hello everyone.

I'm no regular here or anything, but does anyone here play more obscure fighting games, like the Touhou spinoffs or French Bread stuff or Arcana Heart? I admit I've been curious to give these games a try even if their community may have since moved on, just because I'm always looking for unique fun experiences. What can you guys tell me about these types of fighters, or if there are similar games with active scenes?

Yeah those games have scenes. Uniel is quite active atm. You prolly wanna talk to kumoubu, rhapsody or Anne they got anime/poverty knowledge.

a great source for learning about povertyish games like arcana or melty or uniel is the mizuumi wiki.

Went to another tournament on Saturday. Ended up doing better than I expected, was actually able to beat two players that both beat me in the last two tournaments I went to (Riceta & LES) Made it up to winners finals then got BOPPD by Broshadian's Abel. Had to play Riceata in the Losers Finals and he switched to Honda

f honda b. This character is slowly turning into my kryptonite. I don't think he even necessarily beats Elena, but I feel like I have to go to a fireball character to counter pick right when I go up against him. Shiiiiiiiiiet.

I went into training mode for an hour and just went through Honda's specials/jump ins and pokes to learn the matchup as Elena. I feel like it's winnable, just not fun.

Nice to meet Vulva again
still waitin on that link fam

Anyway, after so many L's for using Deejay, i've won about $100 in the last month from SF. All these years of pot monstering finally paying off.

again, I hope nobody learns that Elena matchup
kttcolilolbron

Top Bottom