• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Mar 23-29 | Forever Yung at heArt

Jin hoodie style looked cool in 4-5.

I think how he is rocking it now looks dumb. Imo of course.

And that Josie winning pose is in fact, dumb. Haha.

That Josie design is pretty bad, but a step above lucky chloe (which is some kind of accomplishment). Way too fan servicey for my tastes, which was confirmed by that winning pose..ugh.

I'd like to see fighting games branch out their newer female designs beyond schoolgirl who kicks ass (MK seems to be doing better in this department)..

OH her creator was the same lady who made Bayonetta!

NO WONDER!

also, i have to make a statement:

HOODIES ARE THE WORST COSTUME/CLOTHING TO PUT IN 3D GAMES!

if you want to make your character as generic and throwaway as possible, make them wear a hoodie as default.

I think it looks fine on boxer characters. And Jin in T4.

Jin's hood falling off his head when he got knocked down blew my mind the first time I saw it

Way more amazing than any new tech from any new console generation since. It's like tressfx that didn't make the game look worse

fuck this outfit:
npsVZIe.jpg

Jin always has the wackest hoodie designs. His Tekken 5 costume was the best, simplicity at it's finest:
bestcgijimka.jpg

His Tekken 4 alt was cool too, since it was just the above with a jacket.

Damn...now I can't stop thinking of how fun a homing dash in an airdash fighter or Smash title is. Imagine the shit I could do with Peach if I had a homing dash...or Zero Suit Samus...or ANYONE. God could you imagine the homing airdash combat between Marvel dudes? Shit would get insane...it'd be DBZ. Oooooooh...DBZ done marvel style with homing airdash on a meter...

Fuck. Its one of those days. Stop it imagination. My heart can't take all these dreams.
Didn't the bee girl in Vampire Savior have a homing dash?

Jeez LA. I am less than a mile from a ramen place and I can't even walk to it from my hotel. NorCal>SoCal

I hate how its so difficult to catchup with fighting game streams if I don't get it live.

Anne

TSB last night was the same TSB stream that's been happening for like the last year. I only ever watch to see my friends play, and a lot of the times it's muted. I don't dislike the EC guys, but the streams can be a bit too much for me sometimes.

Amused people are saying this now when this was milder than previous ones. The fact the theme of this TSB though was "everybody dies from alcohol poisoning" probably didn't help.

Tik-Tok

TSB last night was the same TSB stream that's been happening for like the last year. I only ever watch to see my friends play, and a lot of the times it's muted. I don't dislike the EC guys, but the streams can be a bit too much for me sometimes.

Amused people are saying this now when this was milder than previous ones. The fact the theme of this TSB though was "everybody dies from alcohol poisoning" probably didn't help.

Sounds Fun!

El Sloth

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157975414]Didn't the bee girl in Vampire Savior have a homing dash?[/QUOTE]
She does. You just dash in the air and she homes in wherever the opponent is. Her IADs are very strong. Q. Bee deserved to be in Marvel 3 more than Felicia and Lei-Lei (sorry, 645 and SolarPowered).

NEO0MJ

She does. You just dash in the air and she homes in wherever the opponent is. Her IADs are very strong. Q. Bee deserved to be in Marvel 3 more than Felicia and Lei-Lei (sorry, 645 and SolarPowered).

I think Solarpowered would agree with you. She just couldn't work with the game.

Azure J

Say here's a bit of an interesting question (though I may be cribbing off of shaowebb's style here), is there an archetype in fighting games you usually find yourself shying away from or not considering when you go through rosters picking characters? I'm having an interesting moment here where I look through my own design documents and I've noticed that in the roster I'm aiming to create for something down the road, I have no big guys/gals of any type. What's even weirder is that I just can't seem to come up with a creative or even "solid" concept involving a larger framed character.

Big character: the Zangiefs/Hugos, Bowsers/Donkey Kongs/Dededes, etc.

It's definitely not that I can't come up with a cool idea for move sets, there's already a lot of ideas in place with some of these things being for moves typically granted to these type of characters, but I just can't seem to create a big character placeholder in my head to graft themes and concepts onto. I'm wondering if this is because of the weird but mostly unintentional aversion I have to playing the big guys in most fighting games.

I'd take Q-Bee over Felicia, but Lei-Lei got fucking neutered and would have been the single best inclusion that wasn't a headliner character free if she had half the shit that made her VSav self tick.

Jon Talbain would have been neat too.

Say here's a bit of an interesting question (though I may be cribbing off of shaowebb's style here), is there an archetype in fighting games you usually find yourself shying away from or not considering when you go through rosters picking characters? I'm having an interesting moment here where I look through my own design documents and I've noticed that in the roster I'm aiming to create for something down the road, I have no big guys/gals of any type. What's even weirder is that I just can't seem to come up with a creative or even "solid" concept involving a larger framed character.

Big character: the Zangiefs/Hugos, Bowsers/Donkey Kongs/Dededes, etc.

It's definitely not that I can't come up with a cool idea for move sets, there's already a lot of ideas in place with some of these things being for moves typically granted to these type of characters, but I just can't seem to create a big character placeholder in my head to graft themes and concepts onto. I'm wondering if this is because of the weird but mostly unintentional aversion I have to playing the big guys in most fighting games.

Characters with rekka-moves. Never liked them.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";157975414]Didn't the bee girl in Vampire Savior have a homing dash?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that wasn't a game with jumps that went as far or moves that launched as far as Smash Bros or Marvel moves did though. It was cool , but just think of some of the stuff that would be possible in either a Smash or Marvel game if you could just tap one button to homing dash in and followup. Q-Bee combos don't exactly look like Marvel stuff. Cool, but not the sorta stuff I'm talking about where you keep marching them all over the sky.

Who would be the first character youd try to make broken in the lab with with a homing dash in Marvel Beard?

NEO0MJ

I guess the super orthodox fighter. The Ryus, Ragnas, Kys, that sort of thing. Though I don't mind the Mishimas (or at least Heihachi.)

I guess it's because the moveset feels so plain and lacking in creativity. I like using more gimmicky characters or interesting tools.

Azure J

I'm actually a bit wary of the idea of homing dashes/cancels in a Smash/platform fighter environment because at some point, the freedom of movement granted by it would probably negate the entire concept of both the "keep them out of the ring" aspects of the design as well as minimize the importance of the stage/ground itself.

(I'm just thinking about how people reacted to Project M 3.02's various levels of recovery and can't imagine how they'd take to a mechanic that could probably be used in both offensive and defensive/recovery situations to that degree.)

Something designed from the ground up to minimize the need for the ground holistically (thematic example: witches and wizards flying around fucking each other up like it's a Quidditch match gone horribly wrong) while possessing Smash's ring out, directional influence and increasing knock back mechanics might work out but then that'd probably go to the furthest fringes of the fighting game genre.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Jeez LA. I am less than a mile from a ramen place and I can't even walk to it from my hotel. NorCal>SoCal

I hate how its so difficult to catchup with fighting game streams if I don't get it live.

I feel the same even though they do upload it later.

need to hit the gym and get them Yang shoulders

The end goal for most of us lifting even though its an eternal struggle lol

Ever seen an Asian Volleyball team? ;p
so20120624v1a.jpg

Her spike attack kinda implied it too.

All volleybal teams are composed of tall people, you're argument is invalid!

Edit: Josie is designed by Mari Shamazaki (Bayonetta). That may explain the weird proportions feeling.

Top Bottom