• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 18-24 | Forget it Jake, it's Capcom Town

Compare fighters to MOBAs. MOBAs have no combos. At most, you have stun moves, and EVERYONE hates being stunned. I actually wonder if people might like fighting games more if you took out combos, because then you would focus on the neutral, which is enjoyable for everyone. Combos are only fun for the person performing them. Wouldn't it be better if fighting games were more like MOBA battles where both players are completely free to act all the time?

I have no clue how that is even possible, but it is an idea, haha.
just go play exvs man

mbpm1

Compare fighters to MOBAs. MOBAs have no combos. At most, you have stun moves, and EVERYONE hates being stunned. I actually wonder if people might like fighting games more if you took out combos, because then you would focus on the neutral, which is enjoyable for everyone. Combos are only fun for the person performing them. Wouldn't it be better if fighting games were more like MOBA battles where both players are completely free to act all the time?

You could do it if you got rid of hitstun completely.

Then people could attack as they wished, but they would be open to attacks as well.

Dahbomb

MOBAs have items that prevent you from being stunned like Linken's and BKB. There are even skills that prevent you from being stunned.

So this is not a valid comparison IMO.

If you start talking about what's fun and what isn't then you are veering into the territory of "people hate getting sniped... wouldn't it be SO MUCH FUN if there were no Sniper Rifles?"

If you start talking about what's fun and what isn't then you are veering into the territory of "people hate getting sniped... wouldn't it be SO MUCH FUN if there were no Sniper Rifles?"

Yeah you really gotta be wary into getting into this direction.

I just think the fighting games are based on execution and that's never going away no matter how combo heavy the game is and that there's enough games out there to really find your personal niche. These games are gonna have inherent problems that can't really be fixed imo just like other games have issues that can't be fized because they're pretty much hard coded into what the genre really is.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165084429]I see how it is yams, taunting a guy that cant even execute a dp properly because his stick broke :([/QUOTE]

its how i show my love GB, you a cool guy so i picked dan

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165084429]I see how it is yams, taunting a guy that cant even execute a dp properly because his stick broke :([/QUOTE]

mash until your stick fixes itself, tis the Ken way

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165085116]I threw the stick away two weeks ago. My shitty logitech wireless keyboard isn't picking up the slack :-(

#vexcuses[/QUOTE]

i have a friend who plays on keyboard and stick, it aint easy. get a cheap 60 dollar one GB until you can buy a better one.

You could do it if you got rid of hitstun completely.

Then people could attack as they wished, but they would be open to attacks as well.
That would just mean first hit wins in most situations.

I actually want to make a fighting game without blocking one day.

just go play exvs man
Is that even out in the US?

MOBAs have items that prevent you from being stunned like Linken's and BKB. There are even skills that prevent you from being stunned.

So this is not a valid comparison IMO.

BKB and Linken are both mid to late level items. For most of the game, you still get screwed by stun. The point is that stun sucks a lot. When ES chain stuns you while Zeus lays down the bolts, it is a pretty unhappy experience. That is every five seconds in fighting games, though.

The main point is this: people play games to play. You need to be able to JUSTIFY taking control away from the player somehow, because the player will not be happy about it. Maybe part of why fighting games aren't as big as MOBAs is the extensive time every non-Smash 4 fighter takes control away from the player.

Snipers are annoying, but killing the sniper is a lot of fun and very rewarding. I would argue that pulling a combo off on someone who hit you first is not as safisfying. We are in the minority that can stand to watch a 15 second combo and get back to playing. We accept it. Do others?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";165085401]Nah, there's too much other stuff I wanna buy right now before I get another stick. I gotta get a projector and a 6' bean bag chair first.[/QUOTE]

#priorities

Gotcha, idk, I think an mkx title is appropriate considering this was it's first major breakout event plus the expected king was dethroned

is sonicfox washed up guys?
Ah, I don't have a strong opinion. I just know lots of folks loved it earlier. I didn't watch anything this weekend, haha. I see your point on MKX. Who won, and with what character?

Dahbomb

BKB and Linken are both mid to late level items. For most of the game, you still get screwed by stun. The point is that stun sucks a lot. When ES chain stuns you while Zeus lays down the bolts, it is a pretty unhappy experience. That is every five seconds in fighting games, though.
Ok now you have shifted the argument from "getting stunned" to "getting ganked by 2 or more players". There's really not much difference between ES stunning you and killing you vs QoP blinking in Scream + Ulti to kill you in an instant. It's a combo that instantly kill you and you have no way to avoid it especially in the early game.

Again we are back to the point of "fun". No one likes getting ganked, it's not fun getting ganked. But should ganks not be in MOBAs because it's not fun for the person ganked? Hell no.

Ganks are the reward for by passing lane experience/gold, taking advantage of map control and team work. It's an essential part of the game.

In any case, combos/set play isn't really what's keeping the casuals back. People play Hearthstone casually and that game is filled with unavoidable combos and set play. Hell some casuals at least like watching fancy combos and crazy offensive pressure.

mbpm1

Any title is good as long as DaiGOAT is not in it.

Dai_GOAT_time.png

Top Bottom