• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 25-31 | Marvel vs. Comcast

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of May 25th to the 31st, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is a place for all things fighting games. News, game discussion, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibg8VoGHXS8BOI.jpg

ibcFc4B35Sbsvs.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

FFM-Rumble [ Schedule ] [ Friday ] [ 6PM Frankfurt | 12PM EDT | 9AM PDT ]
  • A multi-game tournament out of Frankfurt, Germany, with many big international players attending.
  • Capcom Pro Tour Ranking Event
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
KiT Presents Midwest Championships 2015 [ Friday ] [ 6PM Tennessee | 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Kumite in Tennessee's annual Midwest Championships return, featuring tournaments for 12+ different games.
  • This event continues through Saturday.
Get On My Level 2015 [ Saturday ]
Collegiate StarLeague $1000 Ultra SFIV Open [ Saturday ]
  • The CSL's first USFIV Open Tournament will be taking place alongside other eSports games at the Folsom Street Foundry in San Francisco.
Last Man Standing [ Sunday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ibpmh0Dq6qcF0C.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at Shamrock7r!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
The only fighting game I play at this time is Super Smash Bros. Wii U. The Smash series as a whole is my favorite group of fighting games.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
I can really only speak to Smash4, as that’s the only current fighting game I am really familiar with. Ultimately I like the physics of the game. The way you set up combos is dependent on how your attacks throw the other character around. It’s a much different feeling than a traditional fighting game. I think the addition of platforms and stage variety adds to the strategy of the game. The fact that the way you lose is by falling or being thrown far enough from the stage, allows for progression of your strategy as the match goes along. The way you play at the beginning of a match is vastly different from the way you play towards the end when your percentage is higher.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Prior to Brawl, I only played fighting games casually. Back when I was a kid, my friends and I were completely focused on the Mortal Kombat series. I got semi-competitive locally with Soul Calibur 2. It wasn’t until Smash Bros. Brawl that I actually broke the ceiling on what I would distinguish as going from casually competitive to being a little more serious. It being online helped in that regard.

As far as other genre’s, I’m usually drawn to platformers, adventure games like Zelda, and a good old school turn based RPG. I used to play Real Time Strategy games like Starcraft and Command and Conquer religiously.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
If I was a character that was STRICTLY from a fighting game series, I would go with Scorpion. He always looks great with each iteration, has interesting moves, and a great backstory.

But as far as who I play, anyone who has played me online knows it is Ness. The Earhbound/Mother series is one of the greatest videogame series ever, and Earthbound/Mother2 is my favorite single videogame of all time, so naturally I want to play as the main character. I have never chosen a character based on tiers. I go with who I like and try to my best with them.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Cautiously Aggressive. Willing to get hit to set you up for something big. Low attention span so hopefully the match goes quick, haha.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Strengths: I think one of my best qualities is my ability to read the opponent, figure out if they have a set pattern, and set them up for something accordingly. I try to know my characters backwards and forwards, so I am very comfortable doing slightly out there things with the knowledge I can recover.

Weaknesses: I can get a little over aggressive if I am frustratingly unable to hit the opponent. This couls lead to easy hits on me.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
I don’t know if I have one particularly best moment. I’ve won a few local tourneys, some online ones. I won the first ever Smash Bros. 4 tournament here on NeoGaf. I did beat Dabuz (one of the top ranked Smash4 players) in a set online when Smash4 first came out, so there is that! Haha.

Too many bad moments to list, but they usually equate to having a huge stock advantage and losing the match because I played stupid.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Keep working on improving the online infrastructure. Keep adding variety to the genre. Do DLC right, and it could be great in keeping interest with a game for a longer period of time and help the community flourish.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Nabster92
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
The new Legend of Zelda
possibly Splatoon
Even though it’s a fan game, and free, I am really looking forward to the fan made Mother 4. It looks very authentic.

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Fraud City [ 7:30PM EDT | 4:30PM PDT ]
  • Bifuteki streams tournaments for 4 games (UMvC3, USFIV, MKX and KI) in pairs on a rotating week-to-week schedule.
HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

Dahbomb

Posting my updated UMVC3 tier list after an entire year as stated before. Also with the first Marvel related thread title in a while I thought now would be the best time before EVO!

umvc3.jpg

UMVC3 Tier List 2015

Not going to over every single character just going to over what I changed from the previous tier list and what was the same.

Left to Right is their support value within that grid and Up to Down is their Tier placement based on total value on a team optimized to their strengths. So even though Dante and Wolverine are in the horizontal bar, it does not mean that their point value is comparable.. it just means that when you combine their point and support value they end up roughly in the same tier.

Support value is not really comparable vertically. That is to say Hsien Ko's support value is not the "same" as Dante's even though they are on the same vertical grid.. it just means that relative to their tier strength that's where they belong support wise. So Hsien Ko's support is strong for low tier value while Dante's support is strong even in a higher tier (which means his support value is in fact very, very strong).

An easy way to visualize this is that characters are ranked top to bottom in terms of their relative team strength (so a character who is above has more value on a team than the one below). Characters are ranked in support value left to right within that bar so Sentinel has better support value than Haggar for example (but not necessarily better than Rocket Raccoon's support value)

Top 5 God tier (S tier)
[Zero, Morrigan, Vergil, Magneto, Doom]

These characters remain at top 5 with Dr Doom being outside the grid on purpose (as in his support value is too good) and Zero edging out as the best character in the game. No changes here, I don't think any character here needs any explanation.

Top 15ish High/Near Top tier (A tier)
[Phoenix, Firebrand, Wolverine, C Viper, Dormammu, Nova, Spencer, Strider, Dante)

Two changes here. Moved Firebrand from B tier to A because when I last made it the unblockable tech was still not fine-tuned but now it is and it has finally reached its near final form. Moved Viper up half a tier, and she now lives in her own "Viper A+ tier". Over the course of this year I have seen enough footage and evidence of her being that good where she edges out those characters below here. Again none of the characters here really need any explanation. Of course there's ranking of characters here like I would rate Nova higher than Firebrand but it's not a huge gap comparing their best teams where I would put him a whole tier above.

Top 25ish Upper Mid tier (B tier)

[Viewtiful Joe, Frank West, MODOK, Trish, Dr Strange, Amaterasu, Rocket Raccoon, Akuma, Storm, Hawkeye, Taskmaster, Wesker, Deadpool, Skrull]

A few changes here. Moved Storm up one tier. Since last year it has been shown that mobility is still a huge factor and having plink dashes both in the air and on the ground. She can be where she needs to be and just takes wins. Moved Rocket Raccoon up, his support and anchor value is too strong to be ignored plus people are actually figuring out how to play as the character now.

Most important in this category is Spider Man. He's in that zone between top 15 and top 25 where he's better than the B tiers but not as good as the A tiers. The character has good pressure, godly mobility and good damage. He only loses in match ups to the S tiers (Zero, Magneto, Morrigan and Nova from A tier) but does very well against a whole lot of the other characters. He’s a very high demanding point character though. There have been enough flashes of brilliance of this character in the past year for me to consider moving him up half a tier. Just one of those characters that needs the right team and the right player.
Deadpool is in the same boat as Spider Man. Some very good tools and good gun angles that are useful against the current crop of characters you face off against. Just needs the right team and player to make him shine. Gun shot into teleport combo confirm from screen is too strong of a tool to ignore.

Middle to Lower Tier (C)

[X23, Jill, Felicia, Captain America, Hulk, Haggar, Chris, Sentinel, Shuma, Arthur]

Moved X23 down half a tier and Jill/Felicia down a full tier. A year ago I thought these characters still had the high pressure offense to be strong enough BUT the game has moved away from rushdown only playstyle and the only two A tier or higher characters that only rushdown are Wolverine and Spencer (and Spencer is on the low end of the A tier). Wolverine is just much better than Jill/Felicia all around.

X23 I only moved down half a tier because the whole "you don't get to play" strat of X23 is still obscenely strong and occasionally creeps up just outside top 8 play in tournaments.

This tier is also where the big bodies lie. Hulk/Hagger/Sentinel everyone has seen enough of but I am fine with where they belong (on the high end of this tier though). Thor is the most unique of the big bodies in that he has better match ups and options against the S tiers... he is still not fully explored in the various match ups or in an optimized teams. Again flashes of his potential were shown but not enough to move him out of "limited big body tier".

I know KBR always gets top 8 with big body but that's more the player than the team. Haggar and Sentinel are legitimate in other top teams because of their assists though and Hulk is just on the cusp of viability because of his start of round options, huge armor options and his ability to punish mistakes heavily.

Captain America is the lowest of this tier that is playable as a point. While he has tools to by pass zoning and such, his unsafe moves make him too much of an inconsistent character. He is still just slightly better than bottom 10 tier so I think it's fine he's in here.

Bottom 10 Lowest tier (D)

[Iron Man, Ryu, She Hulk, Nemesis, Chun Li, Iron Fist, Hsien Ko, Ghost Rider, Phoenix Wright]

4 main changes here. Moved up Shuma and Arthur, moved down Iron Man and Arthur... the rest is exactly the same.

Shuma and Arthur moved up because they have very strong assists while still being playable anchors to make them playable in teams that are strong and viable. These characters are essentially "assist tier" characters like say Psylocke from MVC2 although assist tier characters in Marvel 3 are rated much, much weaker because there are characters in the game with both top tier assists and good point tools (like Doom, Strider and Dante).

Iron Man and Ryu moved down half a tier. Technically they have tools as point/support that are just above the shit tier characters... the problem with Ryu/Iron Man is that there are characters just like them that do what they do only better (Akuma/Dr Doom). There's no real reason to use these characters on your team unless some rare situation where you absolutely need both a Beam and Missiles on your team (like Zero with Beam and Missiles). These two characters suffer most from “archetype” syndrome and this game at the bare minimum you need to offer something unique to the team that can catch people off guard. Ryu/Iron Man don’t offer that and thus are squarely in bottom 10.

The bottom 8 characters are characters that I would be shocked if they ever win a major again (even Iron Man could end up winning a major as a support character). I said again because Iron Fist has won thanks to Justin Wong because Justin Wong is too fucking godlike. I don’t I need to explain why some of these characters are so bad. It’s only worth noting that within the past year it has been shown that She Hulk is a deadly enough anchor to be respected but that’s just simply is not good enough just like with Wesker (who is all around a much better point character than She Hulk).

Crocodile

Not going to lie, there were some characters on that tier grid I completely forgot were even in the game LOL. I also still have no idea how Frank West made it into the game over so many other Capcom favorites but whatever I guess.

I like how Doom is off the grid in that chart.

It's accurate but so hilarious

Dahbomb

It's honestly nuts to me that characters like Hulk/Haggar place way higher and get like top 3 at majors and legitimately good characters like Deadpool, Spider Man and Raccoon don't. Well Raccoon has been placing top 8 thanks to Paradigm's play so I guess that counts.

Deadpool pretty much auto wins against any character that is below him on the list and he does well against a bunch of characters above him as well. Same for Spider Man. Yet you have Hulk/Haggar demolishing fools despite them having so many losing match ups. I guess those wide hit box moves are still too good in Marvel for your average player (Pipes, Hulk j.S/st.H, Frying Pan).

Combo Breaker was the first top 8 for a Deadpool in a long while and it was a legit Deadpool too with a team that actually plays to his strengths (Dante Jam Session and Hawkeye Arrows).

ShinMaruku

It's honestly nuts to me that characters like Hulk/Haggar place way higher and get like top 3 at majors and legitimately good characters like Deadpool, Spider Man and Raccoon don't. Well Raccoon has been getting placing top 8 thanks to Paradigm's play so I guess that counts.

Deadpool pretty much auto wins against any character that is below him on the list and he does well against a bunch of characters above him as well. Same for Spider Man. Yet you have Hulk/Haggar demolishing fools despite them having so many losing match ups. I guess those wide hit box moves are still too good in Marvel for your average player (Pipes, Hulk j.S/st.H, Frying Pan).

Combo Breaker was the first top 8 for a Deadpool in a long while and it was a legit Deadpool too with a team that actually plays to his strengths (Dante Jam Session and Hawkeye Arrows).
I don't find it that nuts, when a game has that big a roster some characters will never get explored because the usual suspects don't gravitate to them. I'm sure SF has quite a few characters underused and as a result we really don't know where they stand. I guess games just don't have enough outsiders playing them.

Hulk and Haggar speak to people are arev VERY good and will exploit their strengths. I kinda put them as the Rufus of Marvel. A handful of dominant players utilizing them.

NEO0MJ

Not going to lie, there were some characters on that tier grid I completely forgot were even in the game LOL. I also still have no idea how Frank West made it into the game over so many other Capcom favorites but whatever I guess.

Yeah, some characters just show up too little.

It's honestly nuts to me that characters like Hulk/Haggar place way higher and get like top 3 at majors and legitimately good characters like Deadpool, Spider Man and Raccoon don't. Well Raccoon has been placing top 8 thanks to Paradigm's play so I guess that counts.

Probably helps that they play very different from most top characters and confuse those without much experience against them.

Dahbomb

I don't find it that nuts, when a game has that big a roster some characters will never get explored because the usual suspects don't gravitate to them. I'm sure SF has quite a few characters underused and as a result we really don't know where they stand. I guess games just don't have enough outsiders playing them.

Hulk and Haggar speak to people are arev VERY good and will exploit their strengths. I kinda put them as the Rufus of Marvel. A handful of dominant players utilizing them.
Spider Man and Deadpool have three immediately similarities that pop up to me as to why they are underused:

*Low damage from standard combos. Deadpool and Spider Man are both capable of TOD especially Spider Man but you need execution. Deadpool has those Bolo loops and Spider Man has the Web Loops. Besides there's always good old Dr Doom to boost your damage.

*No big easy mode 360 degree hit box. Deadpool and Spider Man generally have below average normals and not only that their normals have lower than normal hit stun. So in scramble situations they trade worse than other better characters (like Spider Man gets wrecked by Nova's j.H).

*Very difficult to fit in a team. Both of these characters are only playable on point because they lack any good assist and they lack any real safe DHCs. They also lack any good supportive team value.

Outside of that they both have strong tools and strong match ups.

*Deadpool is like the only character in the game who can shoot guns in multiple angles both on the ground and in the air. This pretty much makes him destroy certain characters in match ups and gives even characters like Magneto a hard time (auto win against Doom, Sentinel, big bodies etc). He also has the best teleport in the game and can teleport off of his gun to confirm a combo from full screen. People always bring up the teleport malfunction but if you catch two characters in a match with that trick you basically won the game and it's super easy to catch someone with it. Standing jabs and crouching jabs are good pokes. Basically a very annoying hit and run type character. Very strong mobility on the ground, can be on you in an instant. Can get a combo off of air throw and even a ground throw. His overhead is both a high/low option and crosses up plus it's safe.

*Spider Man has insane mobility both on the ground and in the air. He can run away from many characters in the game and can maintain a health lead very easily. However he is not a runaway character despite having the toolset for it... he basically just calls assist, makes you block a Web Shot and then he's in. And when he's in it's pressure city. He will hit you with triple overhead and then keep zip lining in. With an assist he will just be on you forever. Terrible match up for Dormammu, Strange, MODOK etc. Spider Sting is really strong and it's his go to move in scramble situations... also good as a mix up tool for a cross under. Has huge damage if you have the execution. Can combo off of all throws. IMO he is a basically only weak against 4 maybe 5 characters.. Zero, Magneto, Morrigan, Wolverine and Nova. That's not a good look for him since that's what everyone plays but come on man.. Hulk/Haggar get played and they do way worse than Spider Man against those characters!

ShinMaruku

Spider Man and Deadpool have three immediately similarities that pop up to me as to why they are underused:

*Low damage from standard combos. Deadpool and Spider Man are both capable of TOD especially Spider Man but you need execution. Deadpool has those Bolo loops and Spider Man has the Web Loops. Besides there's always good old Dr Doom to boost your damage.

*No big easy mode 360 degree hit box. Deadpool and Spider Man generally have below average normals and not only that their normals have lower than normal hit stun. So in scramble situations they trade worse than other better characters (like Spider Man gets wrecked by Nova's j.H).

*Very difficult to fit in a team. Both of these characters are only playable on point because they lack any good assist and they lack any real safe DHCs. They also lack any good supportive team value.

Outside of that they both have strong tools and strong match ups.

*Deadpool is like the only character in the game who can shoot guns in multiple angles both on the ground and in the air. This pretty much makes him destroy certain characters in match ups and gives even characters like Magneto a hard time (auto win against Doom, Sentinel, big bodies etc). He also has the best teleport in the game and can teleport off of his gun to confirm a combo from full screen. People always bring up the teleport malfunction but if you catch two characters in a match with that trick you basically won the game and it's super easy to catch someone with it. Standing jabs and crouching jabs are good pokes. Basically a very annoying hit and run type character. Very strong mobility on the ground, can be on you in an instant. Can get a combo off of air throw and even a ground throw. His overhead is both a high/low option and crosses up plus it's safe.

*Spider Man has insane mobility both on the ground and in the air. He can run away from many characters in the game and can maintain a health lead very easily. However he is not a runaway character despite having the toolset for it... he basically just calls assist, makes you block a Web Shot and then he's in. And when he's in it's pressure city. He will hit you with triple overhead and then keep zip lining in. With an assist he will just be on you forever. Terrible match up for Dormammu, Strange, MODOK etc. Spider Sting is really strong and it's his go to move in scramble situations... also good as a mix up tool for a cross under. Has huge damage if you have the execution. Can combo off of all throws. IMO he is a basically only weak against 4 maybe 5 characters.. Zero, Magneto, Morrigan, Wolverine and Nova. That's not a good look for him since that's what everyone plays but come on man.. Hulk/Haggar get played and they do way worse than Spider Man against those characters!

All great points. I think another issue is sometimes you need somebody to show what these characters can do in a place with enough visibility and then maybe you see them more at a tourney. Sadly people who play em are not up to snuff.

Marvel is really well desgined game with some craziness behind it. Shame I never go more into it, I blame having a shit time in sf that killed that game for me. XD

Blackage

If only I could channel my inner-Strider, break into Marvel and plant some documents to make them sell Capcom the Marvel license for $1, then break into Capcom and assassinate all the annoying suits that make awful decisions to get us Marvel 4(Or Marvel 3 Remaster + Patch),

Zissou

Spiderman with certain teammates is basically Firebrand/theory X-23 level win-the-match-off-one-hit status. I've played against Mamespider a fair amount, and when he gets the first hit and a successful TAC to Magneto, your next two chars just die to innescapable hypergrav > magnetic tempest > dhc to guaranteed web throw.

Dahbomb

Spiderman with certain teammates is basically Firebrand/theory X-23 level win-the-match-off-one-hit status. I've played against Mamespider a fair amount, and when he gets the first hit and a successful TAC to Magneto, your next two chars just die to innescapable hypergrav > magnetic tempest > dhc to guaranteed web throw.
Oh yeah forgot about that kinda of stuff.

But really Spider Man is just great even without stuff like that.

Just check out these two sets with Garrett vs FChamp and RayRay... two of the best Magnetos in the world. You can see that Spider Man is able to maneuver against the most mobile character in the game with ease.

FChamp is even playing the counter pick Rocks against Spider Man and not even playing his Dormammu team because that would've been really free for Garrett.

Thing is that as exceptional Garrett is with the execution and offense of the team... he lacks in the defense to really push himself and the team forward (he gets opened up by the simplest of stuff and he is not too good at keeping the life lead despite having characters all capable of doing so). If he irons that out then he would give pretty much anyone trouble (except Justin Marvelous Wong because he's the GOAT and he will download that shit real quick).

I forget, can Spidey even convert off of air to airs all that well?
Regular jump height is not an issue for him... super jump height he has a conversion using a Web Zip but it's difficult to perform.

South East Asia Majors so far:

Xian Momochi infiltration poongko matsuri Misse Tokido Kazunoko Daigo Mago Bonchan Fuudo Kim1234 Kichijoujiken Shiro Gackt Leslie Humanbomb Chuan Gamerbee Kaiser Gamble boxer KOK Reiketsu Dashio Nemo misse xiaohai dakou tonpy Carnage gachikun

according to Cameraman

Also, I'm pretty sure Justin is going as he was advertised and he also said he was going on his stream.

Zissou

Tiering individual chars for a marvel tier list is and has always been a sketchy way to go about it. Team tiering the way to go, but barring team, tiering points, assists, etc separately is better than some kind of nebulous 'combined' value.

Just came back from Stunfest. Went there with food poisoning and media pass, finished staff on Sunday to help friends on USF4. Slept for 12 hours. In 10 years of tournaments I never saw so much people in Europe both in tournament and in the crowd. And Combo Breaker seemed incredible from what I heard, I have to catch up on MKX, KI and SG.

Tiering individual chars for a marvel tier list is and has always been a sketchy way to go about it. Team tiering the way to go, but barring team, tiering points, assists, etc separately is better than some kind of nebulous 'combined' value.

a team tier list in that game would feature a lot of point doom vergil at the top

Top Bottom