• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 4-10 | WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

Kumubou

friendly reminder that art is known for his bandwagoning of new games.
I don't blame him, gotta get the CPM while it's good.

I think it also at least partially comes from that older, arcade mentality where you really did play everything at least at a cursory level because you had to do something while waiting for your main game. It's not like he's brand new to the series -- he was going in on MK9 when that came out. Hell, the one time he qualified for SBO was for Arcana Heart, of all games. :x

Aren't these schedule placings based on entrants instead of stream numbers? I'm definitely in favor of whichever game that had the largest bracket getting to be the main event

Onemic

Is there anything about it that makes it a bad fighter to you?

I dont think it's a 'bad' fighter in the gameplay sense. It's just not my type of fighting game.

The things that make it bad to me are outside of the gameplay. DLC, netcode, PC port, etc. all make me not view the game in as positive of a light as I generally would.

In terms of the gameplay, I typically don't like games that rely heavily on 50/50's into very high damage, and MKX seems like it's nearly 100% based on mixups and mixups only.

stn

MKX is the SF4 of Netherealm fighters, its very mix-up-heavy. Has some footsies, has some zoning, but is predominately based on setups. Its a solid fighter, I like it more than MK9.

Kumubou

Don't forget Iyo, he quit the game. And even when they announced 500k, Wao and Kindevu were willing to come back but not Iyo. He said hell naw until SFV drops.
What will he do if it turns out Dhalsim isn't even in SF5? I actually think there's a decent chance he's not in the game at launch, especially since he's the type of character new players hate fighting.

Man, the SF4 -> SF5 transition is not going to be fun for a lot of people who have their mains axed (at least at launch).

Dhalsim will probably not be in SFV. No one is attached to the character, just the gameplay style. He is E. Honda tier in fan love.

I dont think it's a 'bad' fighter in the gameplay sense. It's just not my type of fighting game.

The things that make it bad to me are outside of the gameplay. DLC, netcode, PC port, etc. all make me not view the game in as positive of a light as I generally would.

In terms of the gameplay, I typically don't like games that rely heavily on 50/50's into very high damage, and MKX seems like it's nearly 100% based on mixups and mixups only.
But you mained Ram...

I get the rest, but Ram...

zlatko

Banned
What will he do if it turns out Dhalsim isn't even in SF5? I actually think there's a decent chance he's not in the game at launch, especially since he's the type of character new players hate fighting.

Man, the SF4 -> SF5 transition is not going to be fun for a lot of people who have their mains axed (at least at launch).

I hope we get Urien back. Second favorite choice would be Alex. Third is...Nash who's in there.

Right now I'm sitting good on SF5 cast however it turns out. I hope Ono trolls people too and just throws random shit characters NO ONE asks for like Oro lmao.

fader

chansub-global-emoticon-c8a77ec0c49976d3-22x30.png

iyo's ibuki in super ... oh my gawwd

and lol at hsien chang. no fucks given :l

Onemic

Hsien done goofed

Dhalsim will probably not be in SFV. No one is attached to the character, just the gameplay style. He is E. Honda tier in fan love.

But you mained Ram...

I get the rest, but Ram...

I didnt say im not ok with mixup characters lol. I said I dont like a game where the only way to play is mixup based.

zlatko

Banned
damn... i tried to think of a defense for MKX but even in neutral you play a 50/50 battle.

It's very much a 50/50 non stop game.

If you play against heavy zoner character without a teleport then it becomes a total shit fest too.

The game is at its best when two people are just going at each other, thinking about spacing, finding good ways to pressure, mix up, etc. Right now that's a LOT of the cast.

Hsien done goofed

I didnt say im not ok with mixup characters lol. I said I dont like a game where the only way to play is mixup based.
That is more a description of Xrd than MKX, though. MKX has several characters that win through keep away play, or zoning options. Xrd is the game that is 99% mix up rush options into heavy damage. Ram definitely fits under that.

What people are calling 50/50s in MKX really arent.

If a character has both a cancellable string with a low starter and a cancellable string with an overhead starter, they don't really hit at the same time. You can block low first, then high, or vice versa, to block them with high consistency. The aggressor has to play psychology and actually delay the quicker option to catch their guard switch (which means the defender can wakeup with down+1 to stuff), or just go for a throw knowing they will block.

People are really very bad at blocking the basic mixup. The game opens up on wakeup a bit after that. Oh yeah, and there's wakeup backdash which (until an OS is created) needs a good reaction or a read to capitalize on.

Rainy

Banned
Last time I watched SF, Ricky used Rufus. How long ago was that?

ever since the end of last year she's experimented with a few different characters like poison and rolento.

she's stuck with rolento for a while now but she still pulls out rufus often.

zlatko

Banned
What people are calling 50/50s in MKX really arent.

If a character has both a cancellable string with a low starter and a cancellable string with an overhead starter, they don't really hit at the same time. You can block low first, then high, or vice versa, to block them with high consistency. The aggressor has to play psychology and actually delay the quicker option to catch their guard switch, or just go for a throw knowing they will block.

People are really very bad at blocking the basic mixup. The game opens up on wakeup a bit after that. Oh yeah, and there's wakeup backdash which (until an OS is created) needs a good reaction or a read to capitalize on.

I'm confused.

So what would you call a 50/50 in MKX and what wouldn't you call a 50/50?

I feel like if Covert Ops Sonya Blade does her stance and can then go into overhead, low, her throw, or nothing.... that's more than a 50/50 situation, but you have to guess. All of those come out so fast you can't react to it in this game.

I'm confused.

I feel like if Covert Ops Sonya Blade does her stance and can then go into overhead, low, her throw, or nothing.... that's more than a 50/50 situation, but you have to guess. All of those come out so fast you can't react to it in this game.

I call something a 50/50 if the defender is forced to guess a high/low block at the same timing. With knowledge of the aggressor's strings and the startup of those attacks, the timing for -actually- blocking the options is almost always different, thus, not a 50/50 after practice.

Regarding Sonya, you can react to the stance with backdash or an armor move with anticipation.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm confused.

It's like blocking Guy's run to slide or run to overhead thing. Slide always, always comes out quicker than the overhead, so you react to the run by blocking low, then you switch to a high block to block the high that will always come out later.

Haven't played MKX but sounds like the same exact thing. The timing for the high and the low have to be almost identical for it to be an actual 50/50.

Top Bottom