• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 21-27 | Wet Sausage Awareness Week

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You tried playing against a live opponent? When you get to not play the game then come back here.
Here's what a real "random" game really looks like.

The glitches were the best, too. Perform an obscure combination of actions while perma-hail is up? Have fun taking 25% residual damage every turn while I get to be untouchable and stall my way to victory.

And my habit of building gimmick teams carried itself across entire genres of video games.

Azure J

Here's what a real "random" game really looks like.

The glitches were the best, too. Perform an obscure combination of actions while perma-hail is up? Have fun taking 25% residual damage every turn while I get to be untouchable and stall my way to victory.

And my habit of building gimmick teams carried itself across entire genres of video games.

Jesus that second video is beautiful, but I know I'd rage out fighting against that. :lol

Horseress

H@h@

Re: SFXT qualifier note, i really wish capcom would have let ppl know that the BP from the xbox qual would carry over to the PS3 qual for sfxt qualifiers. would have entered on ps3 today. :(

You can enter both 360 and PS3 tourneys next week Art, do it!

Also, I love this thread title

TAHNANAH TAHNANAH
STOOPID

Enordash

Spending 6k on Jaeger shots or whatever might not be the wisest of expenditures.

edit: Also, you probably should never trust anyone asking you to buy them shots of that cough syrup anyway.

pumpkin flavored anything sounds terrible

All of my favorite alcohols are getting assaulted in this thread, lol. Don't knock pumpkin beer until you try it (I recommend Pumking by Southern Tier if you are in the US)

Preordered my X1 TE stick. I know a lot of people don't approve but I'm going all in on KI at launch. Has their been word whether we'll receive sticks on the 22nd or if they will be shipped that day? Markman?

casperOne

Canada Cup might be over.

http://t.co/Zu5JN0Mw3s

From the article (emphasis mine).

"It's really not about the money sometimes," added Duong. "It's more about how much time I have to invest," he said noting that when he's putting so much effort into running a fighting game tournament, he's not able to put that into his business.

This statement struck me as odd. Particularly the emphasized part. If you're quantifying your statement with that, it says to me that you're not doing it for the reasons stated. If you're running tournaments with an excessive concern on money (not necessarily making it, but the cash in general) then I dare say you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Note to players: do NOT complain about TOs making money. They need to make money, or there isn't a next year.

This isn't completely true. It depends on the disposition of the TOs running the event. In the end, they have to want to do it the next year. The reasons and impetus for them doing are many. There are those that are willing to take a loss, but also have a better understanding of how to make it an acceptable loss.

Jamessmk has done the math

dr-evil-right.gif

Spending 6k on Jaeger shots or whatever might not be the wisest of expenditures.

While I don't think that this is the issue (and I believe the receipt we saw was 2,000 CAD along with people stating there were other bills that were paid that night), but supportive of my point before about doing it for the wrong reasons.

The main point being that I think that Lap was doing this for the wrong reasons, or that the expectations of what the return would be for the expenditure of resources went way beyond his threshold, even from the beginning.

With posting the receipt, stating hard loss numbers in the EH article, etc. what is the message he's really trying to send? I'm generally an empathetic person, but I find it difficult to do so when someone brags about their losses in this manner.

Respectfully, the overall message from Lap strikes me as looking for empathy/sympathy when there's no real reason for it. There's nothing in the article that reads that he actually cares that he took a financial loss, that it's more about the time invested.

And if you want to talk about TO costs, time is always the biggest one for any major. It's not shortly after ECT and TFC ends (we're talking a timespan of one-two months) that I know the talks about the next year ramp up and action items start coming up. While money is definitely a factor, it's a grind that let's up very little during the year for an event of any reasonable size.

.la1n

All of my favorite alcohols are getting assaulted in this thread, lol. Don't knock pumpkin beer until you try it (I recommend Pumking by Southern Tier if you are in the US)

Preordered my X1 TE stick. I know a lot of people don't approve but I'm going all in on KI at launch. Has their been word whether we'll receive sticks on the 22nd or if they will be shipped that day? Markman?

Smuttynose has a pretty great pumpkin beer too.

Hey guys! I want to thank all who tuned in live this past weekend for the first episode of FGC talk. Thanks to Dahbomb and a few others who i saw in the viewers list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsux3gyE0Q4

This first episode the panel discusses the recent Capcom Qualifier in Korea, the difference between US and International tournaments, how to handle tournament nerves, and finally, if you are a new player, joining the community how to get involved. (Also....Sorry for any hiccups or nervousness in the show....first time and we are working on cleaning it up)

Panel includes me, XsK Samurai, Cynistar and 2 others. Thanks guys!

and for those interested, next episode XsK Samurai will be discussing "How to practice properly".

Thanks for all your support. The FGC is something i'm really passionate about and even if this show helps 1 person then I will be happy.

jbug617

Banned
This is from Dieminion so I don't know if it is true.

@Di3mini0n: Hmmm so apparently USF4 is getting a new mechanic called 'Red Focus'. Absorbs multi-hits but uses 2 EX meters. Lvl 2 is unblockable

casperOne

This is from Dieminion so I don't know if it is true.

Agreed. But let's play "what if"
as in what if he's right this time

The mechanic is so ridiculously overpowered if you have two meter. If you have Ultra stocked, it basically allows you to land Ultra any time you want.

The only way this mechanic could even be close to reasonable is to have it only absorb two hits. Anything more and it's a get out of jail free/insta-punish card against most of the cast.

Unless you can focus out of blockstun I'm not sure how inputs this mechanic could even work.

It's just mentioned as red focus. I can't see it being able to be used during blockstun. Just a buffed up version of a focus attack.

I heard from my uncle(who works at Capcom by the way)that in USF4 you can use 3 bars of meter to activate an unblockable 2 frame overhead that combos into unscaled X factor activation to continue the combo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At this point I'd trust Capcom to fuck up whatever IP revival they decide to do. Try to keep this in mind before getting hype.
Capcom has a pretty good track record this gen for revivals. It's just maintaining them afterwards (along with IPs that never really went away) which appears to produce the worst brand management in the industry.

Horseress

Fuck, the "how do u red focus" question is not showing =/

Well, both ultra's but without full damage can work...somehow....and I still don't understand this red focus thing, sounds too weird

But it's nice to see Capcom trying to make things different and not just adding new characters

Fixandplay is a store that's only in Arizona so one of them is a player from there. The other is a player that plays a character that has a second ultra that counters a fireball. Characters like ken, sagat, adon, cody,yun, etc. Pretty much like half the cast lol. But that could very well be a bullshit conversation so whatever.

Horseress

Fixandplay is a store that's only in Arizona so one of them is a player from there. The other is a player that plays a character that has a second ultra that counters a fireball. Characters like ken, sagat, adon, cody,yun, etc. Pretty much like half the cast lol. But that could very well be a bullshit conversation so whatever.

Or a new character, since who said it is the one providing the leaks

Am I the only one that thinks you don't need 30+ characters in a fighting game for it to be good? (unless its a Licensed game like Injustice, where more characters are better)

I would totally be into another Rival Schools. I don't have any interest in a new DarkStalkers or their characters.

I am really enjoying learning to play Morrigan in Marvel

What if Honda's headbutt are more invisible, and he has jump-ins like Sakura?

casperOne

not sure who are involved in this conversation, though.

Have to say, the Orchid "leak" from Buktooth last week was more of a leak than this is. Until shown otherwise, this is a random conversation between two peeps who don't have any insider information (but one is obviously posing themselves as such).

Of course, as I don't know what is coming down the road I can't contest it with absolute authority, but really? We're buying into this now?

Have to say, the Orchid "leak" from Buktooth last week was more of a leak than this is. Until shown otherwise, this is a random conversation between two peeps who don't have any insider information (but one is obviously posing themselves as such).

Of course, as I don't know what is coming down the road I can't contest it with absolute authority, but really? We're buying into this now?

This is just par for the course as far as fighting game rumors go. It will get repeated ad nauseum on Twitter and other sites and regarded as fact in a pretty short amount of time. You know this!

Top Bottom