• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Oct 28 - Nov 3 | Red Focus, Blue Blazes

I wouldnt matter too much about tier lists tbh. Every character has their own bullshit, and all the characters can deal with it. Just play who you want.

If anything I think the "bullshit" tiers are more important below the top level, especially online.

CPS2

Just saw something I don't think I've seen before in AE. During Guile's u2, I did a super (Dudley's) while the camera was still at an angle, seemed way earlier than you'd usually be allowed to do a move...

Pompadour

Just saw something I don't think I've seen before in AE. During Guile's u2, I did a super (Dudley's) while the camera was still at an angle, seemed way earlier than you'd usually be allowed to do a move...

I've done that in Super during Guile's U2 as well but with Gen. It was awesome because the camera panned over to Gen who suddenly had a shit-eating grin as he went into super and won the match.

I got tired of Schoals ruining it for JeFailey

This is really one of the main problems with Divekick IMO. The game is just way too match-up dependent at times. I know everyone was really easy to play and stuff but any time where you are pretty much forced to counter pick kind of sucks. I feel like you could argue it's just straight up bad design honestly. (I'll concede that might be a bit extreme although Jefailey is actually somewhat poorly designed imo)

Edgeward

It doesn't help that there isn't blindpicks and people know what character I like using most. Ends up being a game of chicken at the select screen. With my thumbs ready to quickly switch to Redacted at anytime they try and scumbag me.

unpopular opinion, but i never saw Divekick as anything else than a joke.

I really enjoyed it and wanted to play more of it.

Unfortunately from launch it was pretty much dead in my region on steam. I'd get one or two matches in an hour or so of trying.

I haven't tried recently, but I doubt it got better.

Why are command grabs unbreakable? I honestly think this is one of the dumbest things in fighting games. There is no reason for command grabs to be unbreakable at all yet they are.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why are command grabs unbreakable? I honestly think this is one of the dumbest things in fighting games. There is no reason for command grabs to be unbreakable at all yet they are.
Because other parts of grappler's toolsets are compromised in order to facilitate a playstyle that emphasizes getting in close and being rewarded for it.

Take that away and.. well they might as well be grabs. Which they already have, by the way.

Because other parts of grappler's toolsets are compromised in order to facilitate a playstyle that emphasizes getting in close and being rewarded for it.

Take that away and.. well they might as well be grabs. Which they already have, by the way.

I don't get your logic. Command grabs were invented in SF2 with Geif. Except all grabs in SF2 were unbreakable including SPD. Command grab was just intended to be another throw which was unblockable and unbreakable They didn't become breakable till later on. There is no reason why command grab should be unbreakable. They already do more damage, have faster start up, and better range than normal throws. Also the fact they have remain unbreakable has forced handicaps on grapplers removing tools they should have but don't because command grab for no reason HAVE to be unbreakable. It's silly and it's been a detriment to the evolution of fighting games. It's a "rule" that serves no purpose other than "that's just the way it is".

OceanBlue

Why should command grabs be breakable? I don't get it. How will having breakable command grabs (which some games have anyway) facilitate the evolution of fighting games or whatever?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get your logic. Command grabs were invented in SF2 with Geif. Except all grabs in SF2 were unbreakable including SPD. Command grab was just intended to be another throw which was unblockable and unbreakable They didn't become breakable till later on. There is no reason why command grab should be unblockable. They already do more damage, have faster start up, and better range than normal throws. Also the fact they have remain unbreakable has forced handicaps on grapplers removing tools they should have but don't because command grab for no reason HAVE to be unbreakable. It's silly and it's been a detriment to the evolution of fighting games. It's a "rule" that serves no purpose other than "that's just the way it is".
So what is your plan for balance today? Making whiffed normal grabs worse and/or devaluing the use of all normal grabs?

How do you compensate in present AE, one of the most refined fighting games ever, for this change, and how do you justify the change even if it ain't broke?

Don't understand how it's a detriment to the evolution of fighting games either; it's a stylistic choice more than anything.

Dahbomb

If you want to break non normal throws play Tekken.

The system of command throw versus normal throws is perfectly fine. Normal throws are easier to execute but do less damage and can be broken. Command throws do more damage and can't be broken but are more difficult to execute.

I guess to balance breakable command throws you would have to make the tech input equivalent in execution to a command throw. So to break a Zangief throw you also have to input a 360 motion.

also it comes down to whether you count lp,mp, and hp different inputs since they do different dmg and leave the grappler at different positions. If you make them the same then I'm not really sure how that would affect grapplers, I'm assuming adversely. If you make the inputs different then it doesnt really seem to be any different than unbreakable grapples since the guessing favors the grappler

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If you want to break non normal throws play Tekken.

The system of command throw versus normal throws is perfectly fine. Normal throws are easier to execute but do less damage and can be broken. Command throws do more damage and can't be broken but are more difficult to execute.

I guess to balance breakable command throws you would have to make the tech input equivalent in execution to a command throw. So to break a Zangief throw you also have to input a 360 motion.
And by doing that, you suddenly make all of those normal throws riskier, devaluing the use of throws in general relative to other mechanics. Which then you have to compensate for by either scaling damage/meter or giving the user other advantages. Then, you have to scale command throws to be even more rewarding relative to normal throws.

Escalating domino effect that causes more problems than the one it's trying to solve. Well, if there is really a problem in the first place.

smurfx

get some go again
wow rayray destroyed flux both times. maybe rayray has finally taken the lead and isn't looking back.

I just look at command throws as a type of special move basically. It's part of their move set that needs to be balanced around and part of their move set design, like you would with any special movie for a character. I don't think of it as a buffed up throw.

I think it's a staple of 2d game design and I think its fine and adds variety in terms of gameplay styles and basic move set foundations.

I don't know how it is holding back the evolution of 2d fighting games. There has been different takes on it in different 2d games. If people want to break command throws, there is 3d games, where there were different throw breaks and you can duck them.

the real answer is that throws shouldn't have been continually nerfed for decades since SF2. If I get you to block something while I'm close to you I should be able to follow up with an instant startup move that'll take >15% of your health unless you clutch out a reversal, because that's how men play.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Someone needs to make a "back to basics" Divekick-like fighter that's not drowned in a million different dumb jokes. Fund Senor Footies pls Iron Galaxy.

I hope Divekick did well tho. Wonder what kind of numbers it pulled.

Dahbomb

And by doing that, you suddenly make all of those normal throws riskier, devaluing the use of throws in general relative to other mechanics. Which then you have to compensate for by either scaling damage/meter or giving the user other advantages. Then, you have to scale command throws to be even more rewarding relative to normal throws.

Escalating domino effect that causes more problems than the one it's trying to solve. Well, if there is really a problem in the first place.
My system doesn't devalue normal throws it actually makes them more of a viable option upclose for a grappler.

For instance say I just closed in the distance with Fei Long. I can now go for a low, an overhead, a regular throw, an anti air to beat the up back to avoid the command throw or a command throw. In this situation he still he has some guesses to make and so do I. I can go for overhead, he can block high... I go for command throw he can up back, I go for regular throw he can tech.

Now in the situation where the command throw is breakable he would still have to make a guess between regular throw and command throw only know instead of up backing he would have the option of breaking the command throw. Only if he guesses wrong that could be a big punish. In this situation both a regular throw or a command throw are legit options. You can OS a neutral tech but I really doubt you will be able to OS a half circle motion while blocking in the case where command throws are breakable by matching inputs.

Zissou

no way. that dude was banned twice.

some shit just keeps coming back

alflro97.jpg

Beckx

I keep hearing the sounds of scrubbing in here. Something must be really dirty.

LOL, this comment is worthy of being shopped into banderas.gif

----

So, developers can block sharing of game video via PS4, marking off sections or the entire game. Awesome.

casperOne

Does it prevent HDMI capture?

They couldn't, because then they'd be blocking the output to the TV.

If anything, you have to deal with HDMI capture in a separate way, through a stripper, as the box may (PS3 did, I believe) or may not (Xbox 360 didn't, I believe) encrypt the signal being sent to the output device.

Beckx

Does it prevent HDMI capture?

HDMI output on PS4 is HDCP encrypted, so no capture devices will work (unless you have an HDCP stripper). Sony has promised that this will be removed for games in a future patch.

Wasn't something like this also said about PS3 and its region locking feature? Did any devs bother to place restrictions? Other than Atlus and P4A I mean.

FTFY

(But yeah, I have a Vita and screenshot is not universal. I know a few PS1 classics don't work with the feature, and I have a recollection that there's a Vita game that didn't work, but I may be mis-remembering. But it's odd to me to justify the presence of a kill-switch on the basis that no one has used it, especially on a console that only has HDMI out, and that output is protected by HDCP until some unspecified update.)

They couldn't, because then they'd be blocking the output to the TV.

If anything, you have to deal with HDMI capture in a separate way, through a stripper, as the box may (PS3 did, I believe) or may not (Xbox 360 didn't, I believe) encrypt the signal being sent to the output device.

On PS3, HDMI is encrypted with HDCP but you have two HD quality analog outputs for video capture (the Sony AV cable & the component cable). PS4 only has encrypted HDMI.

--------------------

Also, re yesterday's arcade stick discussion:

apparently the latest is that support for legacy USB devices is a feature that game developers can opt to build into their PS4 games, but is not native. I don't know if that came from the FAQ or not, will try to tie it down. Saw it on Gaffer Cheesemeister's twitter feed this morning.

Top Bottom