• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Norcal Regionals CEO Dreamland Hypespotting 04/14-04/16

Ninjimbo

Even tho I don't like Punk's childish shit, it is fucking nice to see Karin body Guile like that. Cheap ass character.

What a great tournament. My boy Bonchan proving that Nash is still good. Mago making Top 8 and taking out the despicable PRBalrog. Fuudo crushing people while they still discuss how bad Mika is...good stuff.

I hope Infiltration makes a good comeback soon. And Xian was missed here. Momochi is building a nice Ibuki but it doesn't compare to Xian's.

Kashiwaba

Even tho I don't like Punk's childish shit, it is fucking nice to see Karin body Guile like that. Cheap ass character.

What a great tournament. My boy Bonchan proving that Nash is still good. Mago making Top 8 and taking out the despicable PRBalrog. Fuudo crushing people while they still discuss how bad Mika is...good stuff.

I hope Infiltration makes a good comeback soon. And Xian was missed here. Momochi is building a nice Ibuki but it doesn't compare to Xian's.
Momochi should stick to Ken, if bonchan can make Nash work momochi can make Ken work for sure and ya Xian was missed here one of the few guys who can go against punk and Du head to head.

Ninjimbo

Momochi should stick to Ken, if bonchan can make Nash work momochi can make Ken work for sure and ya Xian was missed here one of the few guys who can go against punk and Du head to head.
I think Momochi makes Ken work just fine. He's easily the best Ken in the world and he'll coast by 99% of his opponents, but like he said before, sometimes the matchups don't line up so its smart to go with another character.

That said, he should have fought Chris G with Ken twice instead of once. He would have won. He has the Guile/Ken matchup down.

I like how Punk is blowing everyone up with the "footsies character" of the cast. Everyone whining about robbery characters like Balrog and Urien...but Punk is the one winning with impenetrable ground game, fundamentals, and execution. All sorts of narratives getting bodied.

So did anyone check the peak number of viewers? I think it was 48~50K ish I guess not bad considering the time it's already 2am in the East coast here and way too late/early in the rest of the world.

I saw a little under 52k total. For 1 AM grand finals, can't complain about that. I mean, Smash CEODreamland peaked at 44k, and that was at a reasonable hour.

Blueblur1

So I refreshed the SFV page several times at the end to catch highest numbers I could. Peak viewer count that I caught was 49.9K.

A little rough since its a 55% decrease and lower than 2015's 62K count.

Image of 2017:
JCSxqIK.png

Ninjimbo

What if bonchan is just that good
Nah. I look at Nash's moveset and the upcoming buffs and I think I have a fair amount of tools at my disposal to kick ass. Bonchan of course is really damn great. He's going to take the character farther than I ever will, but with smart decisions and solid technique, I think I can get around with Nash.

But that's going to have to wait. I'm working on a Juri right now lol

She's the most "honest" top tier.

But no one values honesty.
Been saying this since season 1. Maximized Karin is amazing and even more of an example regarding what other characters should look like. I think it was Gamerbee who recently mentioned in an interview that characters need more damage (or other) rewards combo dexterity and creativity. I think Karin does that pretty well without 1 frame links or other overly complicated stuff. Her combos incorporating left-right resets and multiple EX specials are a treat to watch, but they're still not necessary to be a half decent Karin, so there is a nice floor for regular players can reach. We need more characters to have their movesets opened up like hers come season 3.

So I refreshed the SFV page several times at the end to catch highest numbers I could. Peak viewer count that I caught was 49.9K.

A little rough since its a 55% decrease and lower than 2015's 62K count.

2015 top 8 ended at 10:30 EST. This years STARTED at 11 EST and ended at 2 AM. 2 hours late.

Minor detail, I'm sure lol.

EDIT: My screen cap from 1:06 EST:
5XKwbK5.png

vulva

Been saying this since season 1. Maximized Karin is amazing and even more of an example regarding what other characters should look like. I think it was Gamerbee who recently mentioned in an interview that characters need more damage (or other) rewards combo dexterity and creativity. I think Karin does that pretty well without 1 frame links or other overly complicated stuff. Her combos incorporating left-right resets and multiple EX specials are a treat to watch, but they're still not necessary to be a half decent Karin, so there is a nice floor for regular players can reach.
1f links virtually don't exist in sfv outside of walk forward combos, which no one uses

mbpm1

Ryu is getting buffed so you never know Daigo might body everyone :p.

pfft, Daigo doesn't even know how to play the game yet. His meta knowledge is outdated, like, middle of season 1 level while everyone is getting ready for season 2.5

and punk knows the metagame better than anybody.

Kashiwaba

pfft, Daigo doesn't even know how to play the game yet. His meta knowledge is outdated.

I disagree. Daigo just coasting on his legacy looks to me like he just plays for fun now. Hell not like he needs the money. :p

Considering how much he travels i don't think he ever gets the chance to practice, he is just here for publicity, but he still makes it to top 32 so i guess he still got some skills.

Drahcir

I may still be rookie garbage-tier at this game that I will never get any better at, but I love that a fellow Karin main is winning with her so well. :)

He improved very quickly

He was on ultrachentv recently with lud, who's alright but not great.

Lud said he could beat him at locals last year without much effort. Now he can't touch him, period.

Punk's around to stay.

That's the most mind blowing thing about all this. Take Du for example. We first heard of him as a young player from Florida along with CJ Truth. Then he started being a regular in top 32. Then a regular in top 8, then one of the best American SF4 players. Five years of slow improvements finally culminated in him being the first American to win a CPT Premier event and Capcom Cup and thus being thought of as the best player in the world.

Punk hasn't won EVO or Capcom Cup yet, but I feel like he basically achieved this in months compared to 5+ for Du. I would say Infiltration is the closest comparison. But he went from a top 8/16 regular to unstoppable for a few years. Punk went from probably being a typical Platinum player from last summer to being probably the best in the world right now. It almost doesn't seem fair that someone can improve that quickly lol.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Considering how much he travels i don't think he ever gets the chance to practice, he is just here for publicity.

If he was serious about winning he'd take time off to practice like Infil is doing. No shame in that. But, I don't know if he mentally wants to put in that work. Lets be honest Daigo has put in mad work over the years so if he is just enjoying stuff right now I'm fine with that.

It almost doesn't seem fair that someone can improve that quickly lol.

I bet he has been putting in a ton of hard work. He has that "IT" factor some of the clutch plays he pulls off are so fucking impressive.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People getting mad over Punk bagging. Don't play FPSs then. Punk is tame compared to people like Champ and Fanatiq.

NastyBook

People getting mad over Punk bagging. Don't play FPSs then. Punk is tame compared to people like Champ and Fanatiq.
This, basically. Especially FChamp. Punk isn't even close to being the first person to do it, he's just currently doing it to their favorites players, making them salty in the process.

Sayad

Yea, there's no malice in whatever Punk does, except maybe for that one time against the Birdie player. Dude just come off as goofy.

Worst in the FGC(relevant players at least) will always be FChamp.

Went to bed before GF so it's cool to see that Punk brought it back and won.

It reminds me of that video of him and Flash going at each other at ESL. Punk saying he wins majors after winning Winter Brawl and Flash saying that doesn't count since it's not a CPT premier event.

Well, I guess Flash can't use that point anymore.

MrCarter

Considering it was 6/7/8 AM in Europe, it wasn't bad at all.

Yeah I'm in EU and I went to bed at around 3am which was around the time Tekken started, couldn't wait for SFV any longer. They really need to sort out the scheduling for these events in the future.

creatchee

I think you're forgetting NuckleDu

Du forgot about Punk last night. Then he got reminded.

EDIT: I should have specified EVO World Champion, but I don't think Capcom Cup counts as World Champion anyway since it's not an open tournament.

SECOND EDIT: I guess CC *is* in fact a World Championship. American EVO World Champion it is.

Also, Punk might not even be a villain after all:

x0Imryr.jpg

Zackat

it lost me for sure, I can't stay up that late on the east coast on a weekday night. sounds like I missed some good matches.

Neoxon

I guess Lipton should start sponsoring the CPT, or at least Punk.

Also, just to be clear, was it Smash 4 that delayed SFV Top 8?

Malice215

I don't know how Punk likes pineapple on a burger but not pineapple on a pizza. That makes no sense, and that Twitter screencap cuts out that part.

I don't care about Punk teabagging. I think it's a bad look when teabagging dominates so much of the conversation around SFV.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Great tournament. The way I see it any character can win a tournament like this, of course players are important but there's no disparity like in sfiv.

DKL

Bronson was shit talking his opponent in grand finals for Tekken 7 over the mic while his match was actually going on.

I didn't even bother to watch SFV after that since I'm not sure how you improve upon perfection :v

DKL

Tekken doesn't have the depth of SF, Tekken is the game you play at a party with your drunk friends to have fun (especially TTT2) but i find SF more fun to play in the long term.

Please tell me people made the appropriate response to this.

TTT2 was like rocket science tier with the amount of options you had to consider at any given moment.

Game was too hard for me lol

EDIT:

Tag 2 was too deep for even Tekken players

Yes.

Top Bottom