• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight'N Rage - A welcome addition to the beat 'em up genre! [Steam]

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Released yesterday to be precise but man is this game already one of my faves. Tight controls, nicely animated sprites, classic arcade level structure, good combo system, and a rockin' soundtrack. If you love beat 'em ups you do not wanna pass this up. Starting price is $20 but trust me fam it's worth the entry fee!

Description
Fight’N Rage is a brand new old-school side-scroller beat’em up. Inspired by the classics from the “golden age”, and with an art style that mimics the aesthetic from the 90's arcade gems, this game pays homage to all classic gameplay features that makes this genre one of the best from its time!

Steam Page
Game's Twitter Page - Show the dev some love too!

DKI2qfrW0AAk_Lz.jpg

DKI2q8FWkAAsOY9.jpg

DKI2rn5XUAUFScY.jpg

It looks good! Couple questions though:

Can you turn off the warped CRT thing but keep the scanlines? Additionally, how prominent is the titty garbage? The icon for the game and two of the three screenshots posted seem to feature titty garbage.

I get tired of the Wayforward-esque pandering. More power to you if you dig it, but it just makes me cringe nowadays.

Huggy

This one looks well done. I did see some animation tweening of which I'm not a fan, but the controls seem to be real tight.
Which is a hard thing to get right.

I'd say it looks more like a cartoony console beat em up than arcade type, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Looks fun. Can you adjust the crt edges to not be as extreme, or is it just on/off?

Thores

This game presses so many of my buttons and looks like it does almost everything right, but the female character design and her sprite's uh... animation are so embarassing. I might actually have to pass.

WarRock

The girl character is literally called "Gal"? Huh, ok.

Wishlisted for now, but I need impressions about the combat before pulling the trigger.

gelf

I have to say the video footage does look impressive and I'm keen to see how it feels to play. I'm a fan of the genre but I've tended find most modern attempts at the beat em up severely lacking even including popular titles like Dragon's Crown and Castle Crashers. At a first shallow glance this looks more promising though. Wishlisted for future reference.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Will wishlist it as I'm swearing off buying until I clear some backlog, but I'm a bit disappointed by the reports of all the boob stuff. Especially as the main crowd for this is probably us that played these games in the 90s, so we're too old to want that shit. I'm speaking for everyone, of course.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This game looks awesome! Love me some old school beat em ups.
Will check out, thanks for the heads up.

BiggNife

OP you had me until this

Devs, come on. It's 2017. Local-only shouldn't be happening anymore.

Online play is something that is extremely difficult and time consuming to implement, especially for a game like this that appears to have been made mostly by one dude. There's a reason why indie games have been embracing local play these days.

But yeah, this game looks cool, I get an AvP vibe from the combat which is a good thing. Will probably get on sale down the line.

This is the real deal good stuff folks---something that UNDERSTANDS The Old Ways so well that it is on par with the likes of Locomalito thrashing around in other coin-op staples. This is like a Streets of Rage Remake-level accomplishment, but with nowhere near the numbers of people working on it.

Projects like this...they only come around once every great while, and with more than a fair bit of luck at that, considering how INCREDIBLY hard and involved it is to make a proper beat'em up.

Online play would be stupidly hard---the slightest bit of lag in the netcode would bring ruin and woe....folks have to learn that not everything translates in that realm with the current level of tech we've got at least.

luulubuu

Bought it and I'm not really feeling it, the combat is tight but I was getting my life drained for no reason? I mean theres obviously a reason but I couldn't see or notice anything, not a propmpt not an attack, nothing that catched my eye

There are also weird elements in the levels, for example the fire is reallistic while the rest of the stuff is not.

Probably going back in another time, but yeah wishlist it

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Bought it and I'm not really feeling it, the combat is tight but I was getting my life drained for no reason? I mean theres obviously a reason but I couldn't see or notice anything, not a propmpt not an attack, nothing that catched my eye

There are also weird elements in the levels, for example the fire is reallistic while the rest of the stuff is not.

Probably going back in another time, but yeah wishlist it
You're using your Super move when you don't have the super meter charged(top left S). Once fully blue charged(blue), I don't think it'll drain life away. I'm personally loving this throwback so far. Really digging the tightness of it and hooray for alternate paths! I highly recommend taking them and getting bodied for a few rounds haha.

Shoutouts to the
Turtles
! <3 that part and the immediate section that follows.

This is the real deal good stuff folks---something that UNDERSTANDS The Old Ways so well that it is on par with the likes of Locomalito thrashing around in other coin-op staples. This is like a Streets of Rage Remake-level accomplishment, but with nowhere near the numbers of people working on it.

Projects like this...they only come around once every great while, and with more than a fair bit of luck at that, considering how INCREDIBLY hard and involved it is to make a proper beat'em up.

Online play would be stupidly hard---the slightest bit of lag in the netcode would bring ruin and woe....folks have to learn that not everything translates in that realm with the current level of tech we've got at least.
I feel you on this especially after playing for a few. This is the real deal for me as well; stays true to The Old Ways.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
"with an art style that mimics the aesthetic from the 90's arcade gems"

I don't remember a single chibi beat 'em up in the arcades. Maybe Top Hunter, but that's a damn stretch.

Combatribes perhaps?

Looks more like Mighty Final Fight. Or Gem Fighter which wasn't a beat 'em up.

Meh. Not a huge deal I suppose, but I really don't remember anything that really meshes with that particular claim.

Fularu

Banned
You do realize that it is an obvious reference to Final Fight, don't you?
"Guy" is one of the main characters.

Guy is also a french name that's rather common

Anyway Fight'n Rage is an obvious mix of Final Fight and Streets of Rage so my point is moot :p

If you're wondering about this gem and have any questions, let me know. I've been playing this non-stop for a review. So far, this game is perfect for beat em' fans - and it's hard to believe this is from an Indie dev.

JCG

I've played through the normal difficulty with Ricardo and died a whole bunch of times in the process, but I still had fun and eventually managed to push through. I am now wondering about whether to unlock the training mode or some of the other bonuses first.

Top Bottom