• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films releasing in 2013 - what are you looking forward to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haikira

Love Joon-ho Bong, So i'm very much looking forward to Snowpiercer. Seems to have a great cast including Chris Evans, Jamie Bell, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Ed Harris and Alison Pill. Also very happy Kang-ho Song is in it.

My most anticipated, in alphabetical order.

• Elysium
  • Gravity
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
  • Man of Steel
  • Oblivion
  • Only God Forgives
  • The Place Beyond the Pines
  • Snowpiercer
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Stoker
  • The World's End

injurai

Banned
Well it won't topple the historic year of cinema that was 2012.

Though I'm looking forward to seeing most of those.

Yeah 2013 looks like a terrible year for movies compared with what we got this year. Of that list, only The Hobbit, Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 seem interesting.

haikira

I'm surprised how alone i am, in thinking 2012 wasn't that great. To be fair, I've missed out on a few very well received films and i did very much enjoy a couple of films i recently got a chance to see. Including Argo and Seven Psychopaths.

I also don't think next year looks all that bad. There's plenty of sequels and remakes sure, just like this year. But there's some legitimately good looking and original films on the way too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
1) Byzantium, How I Live Now*, Justin and the Knights of Valour, The Host, Violet & Daisy
(i.e. Everything Saoirse Ronan is in.)
2) Gravity
3) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
4) Elysium
5) Everything else

* Will possibly release only within the film festival circuit, but here's hoping it's picked up sooner rather than later.

I saw a scene from EVIL DEAD and it looks surprisingly awesome. May be "better" than the original.

Also saw a scene from GI JOE 2 and it looks to be more of the same quality silliness as the first.

haikira

Actually. Another film i forgot about, is The Place Beyond the Pines. I know it's technically a 2012 film. But for a lot of people, including myself, it may as well be a 2013 film.

You're not Expendable.

1. Gravity.
2. The World's End

Then everything else.

Ender's Game movie is going to be such fucking garbage it hurts.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Elysium
Frozen
Gravity
The Last Stand
Man of Steel
Monsters University
Oblivion
Pacific Rim
Riddick
Side Effects
Snowpiercer
Stoker
Upstream Color
To the Wonder
The World's End

Star Trek 2
Despicable Me 2
Iron Man 3
Kick-Ass 2
Star Trek 2
Evil Dead
Superman
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Jack the Giant Slayer
Oz: The Great and Powerful
Monsters University

No Grandmasters? What the fuck is this? Fix it right away! Lol. :(

wkw-grandmasters.jpg

The movie's finally done.

I had no idea this existed. Will it be better than Ip Man?

Bruce Willis must really need money these days. He showed up on 5 movies this year and he has at least 3 movies coming out next year.

StuBurns

Banned
Django Unchained and Cloud Atlas (both delayed in the UK).
The Great Gatsby, I don't like his films, and get burnt every time, but Carey Mulligan, and practically no one still cares about 3D, so anything that bothers gets my attention.
Star Trek 2, first one was kind of fun, the trailer for the new one is terrible though.
Man of Steel, I loved the teaser, hated the trailer, and Snyder has never made anything I find even decent, but I'll give it a try.
Elysium, not sure why really, but I'll try it.
Gravity, I expect incredible things.
12 Years a Slave, Steve McQueen is a genius.
Before Midnight, will be amazing.
Her, should be great.
The Bling Ring, Coppola hasn't been consistent, and I think Emma Watson is very irritating, but we'll see.
Upstream Color, should be incredible.
To The Wonder, I don't like Malick's first three films, the last two are in my all time top ten though, so we'll see.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's a Wong Kar Wai movie, so it'll probably be nothing like Ip Man. It should be pretty awesome though!

Wong Kar Wai doing an martial arts movie sounds awesome.

Trailers are pretty action heavy but I expect a lot of cool stuff inbetween.

harSon

Banned
1. Stoker - I think Chan Wook Park is extremely overrated, but I consider him to be a competent director and horrific writer, and fortunately the screenplay by Wentworth Miller is fantastic.

2. Oblivion - I'm hit or miss on this one. Kosinski has an eye for visuals, but Tron: Legacy was let down by a sub par script, especially its second half. No clue how Konsinski is as a writer, but both Michael Arndt and William Monahan are quite good, which leads me to believe that the narrative won't be complete shit.

3. Star Trek into Darkness - I'm not sure about this one either, but I'm a fan of Star Trek and love science fiction. I actually enjoyed the origins aspect of the original Abrams' film, and found the 2nd and 3rd acts to be a jumbled mess, but we'll see how this one goes. I'm hoping for the best.

4. Fast and Furious 6 - The last film is definitely a different beast than its predecessors, and it's more of an action film with cars than a car film now, but the last one was so damn fun that I don't really care.

5. After Earth - I've enjoyed the two scripts I've read from Gary Whitta (thank you for sharing that unreleased one a while back!), and am a fan of Will and Jaden Smith. I absolutely hate Shymalan at this point, and his last 3-5 movies have been utter shit, but I consider his directing to be sound and his writing to be his downfall. Maybe with a competent writer, he can finally get back on track.

6. Man of Steel - I'm not completely happy with the direction of this. David S. Goyer is hit and miss as a writer (more miss IMO), and Christopher Nolan's writing is long winded and suspect at times, so I have a feeling this film's narrative won't be the greatest thing in the world. I actually don't mind Zack Snyder, but I don't think his style, which is extremely distinct, is that great of a fit for Superman. The previews simply look too dark and gritty for Superman, which I've always considered to be a colorful world.

7. Pacific Rim - Not a fan of Del Toro's American output, but Travis Beacham wrote one of the best screenplays I've ever had the pleasure of reading (Killing on Carnival Row) and the subject matter (Mechs and Godzilla like creatures) is obviously a rarity at this level of budget. Plus Idris is my boy. I'll give it a chance, but I still think Del Toro is mediocre at directing action.

8. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - I still have my doubts that this is releasing next year, and films with such issues in the development process are typically crap upon release, but I'm such a fan of the graphic novels and original film that I'm inclined to watch it regardless.

9. Gravity - Alfonso Cuaron is a boss, and the screenplay was fantastic. I dislike Sandra Bullock as an actress, but hopefully the film as a whole can overshadow her shortcomings.

10. Oldboy - Unlike most people, I don't mind remakes assuming they bring something different to the table. Apparently this film will incorperate aspects of the graphic novel that weren't present within the original adaptation. I'm not a blind hater of Spike Lee either, and consider him to be more than competent, and the cast thus far looks quite amazing, so I'm hopeful. The original film wasn't that great, so it's by no means forbidden fruit.

11. 12 Years a Slave. Excellent slave narrative, and Steve McQueen is the man. Amazing cast as well. Hopefully it gets the recognition it deserves.

12. The Grandmaster - I'm a fan of the director, especially now knowing what to expect from his film, so with my expectations for action suppressed, I'm interested in seeing his take on the man.

I'm sick of writing, so I'm also interested in Snow Piercer, The Last Stand (Previews look sub par, but Jae-Woon Kim is great), Ridick (Absolutely LOVE this series), Ender's Game (As a fan of the book, I'm forced to watch the adaptation, but I'm not hopeful that a sound experience is going to come with this adaptation).

I'm kind of sick of super hero films at this point, and I wasn't a fan of Thor or the Iron Man series, so I'll definitely wait for those to hit video before giving them a watch. The script for Elysium was a mess, and while I'm a huge fan of science fiction, I pretty much guarantee the film being mediocre if that script was anywhere near final one.

Movies I'm interested in on that list:

-The Last Stand: For you, Arnold

-Parker: For you, Statham

-A Good Day to Die Hard: For you, Bruce. Damn my love for these actors having to be in mediocre action movies

-G.I. Joe: Retaliation: For you, Rock/Bruce. Fuuuuuck

-Jurassic Park 3D: I'll take the shitty 3D for a chance to see JP in theaters again

-Iron Man 3: Shane Black + RDJ = cinema gold

-Star Trek into Darkness: Will JJ Abrams and his stunning cast of actors be able to overcome a screenplay written by the unholy Hollywood hack trimutive of Orci/Kurtzman/Lindelof!?

-Fast and Furious 6: Fast Five was WAY better than it had any right to be.

-Man of Steel: Make me believe, Snyder

-Monsters University: *sigh*...ok fine, Pixar. Do whatever you want.

-Pacific Rim: Yes.

-Elysium: Sounds cool. Hopefully better than D9

-The Little Mermaid 3D: Maybe? I adore this movie, but I think I might just wait for the 2d Blu-Ray

-Sin City: A Dame to Kill For: FINALLY

-Oldboy: Is this really happening? Show me something, Spike

-Stoker: Speaking of Old Boy...

-The World's End: LOVE Shaun of the Dead, bored by Hot Fuzz. Hoping they end this trilogy strong

-The Hobbit 2: Hope it aint 3 hours; the Hobbit 1 didn't earn NEARLY the runtime it got

-Gravity: Whenever you're ready, Cuaron. I'll be there, money in hand.

-Oblivion: Wall-E starring Tom Cruise? I can dig it

Wubby

-Iron Man
-Star Trek
-Fast and Furious
-Die Hard
-Sin City
-new Ghibli movies

The rest of them are something I may watch eventually or never.

duckroll

The Grandmasters - New Wong Kar Wai movie, motherfuckers!
Kaze Tachinu - New Hayao Miyazaki movie, motherfuckers!
Elysium - New Neill Blomkamp movie, motherfuckers!
Django Unchained - New Quentin Tarantino movie, motherfuckers!

Cloud Atlus - Liked the book, but more interested to see how it adapts into a film. Heard good things.

Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 - Yeah, I love the Rebuild movies, sue me!

Pain and Gain - Interested in seeing Bay handle a smaller film after Bayformers year after year. Should be fun.

Pacific Rim - Monsters and robots! OMG! Sign me up!

Iron Man 3 - It's a Marvel movie.

Thor 2: The Dark World: It's also a Marvel movie.

There are probably a bunch of other movies I'll definitely watch, but these are the ones I'm most looking forward to right now off the top of my head.

duckroll

Oh I'm also looking forward to Stoker, which I honestly only found out about the other day. I haven't been keeping tabs on what Park Chan Wook has been doing for a while, but I love the guy. And this movie has Nicole Kidman! <3

I´m down for most of these movies. Super hero movies, sci-fi movies, comedy, action.

• I'm completely surprised at there being a Carrie film.
  • Hansel and Gretel, Jack the Giant Slayer, Oz. G.I. Joe, After Earth, The Lone Ranger and World War Z look shit.
  • The Host and Mortal Instruments are probably going to be more shitty YA movies.
  • I'm tired of Die Hard and The Hangover
  • I'm cautious about Monsters University and Ender's Game.
  • Oblivion, Iron Man 3, Star trek, Man of Steel and Pacific Rim look okay.
  • The Great Gasby and Elysium looks/sounds good.

After earth looks amazing.

Ok, let's see...

Hansel and Gretel (Maybe)
A Good Day to Die Hard (Definitely)
Carrie (maybe)
Evil Dead (probably)
Oblivion (probably)
Iron Man 3 (definitely)
Star Trek Into Darkness (Definitely)
Fast and Furious 6 (Definitely)
The Hangover Part 3 (Definitely)
Man of Steel (Definitely)
Kick-Ass 2 (Definitely)
Pacific Rim (Definitely)
The Wolverine (Maybe)
RED 2 (Maybe)
Elysium (Definitely)
Sin City 2 (I don't believe this actually exists)
Oldboy (maybe)
The World's End (definitely)
Thor: The Dark World (Definitely)
Riddick (Definitely)

Doesn't Captain America 2 come out as well?

Ok, let's see...

Hansel and Gretel (Maybe)
A Good Day to Die Hard (Definitely)
Carrie (maybe)
Evil Dead (probably)
Oblivion (probably)
Iron Man 3 (definitely)
Star Trek Into Darkness (Definitely)
Fast and Furious 6 (Definitely)
The Hangover Part 3 (Definitely)
Man of Steel (Definitely)
Kick-Ass 2 (Definitely)
Pacific Rim (Definitely)
The Wolverine (Maybe)
RED 2 (Maybe)
Elysium (Definitely)
Sin City 2 (I don't believe this actually exists)
Oldboy (maybe)
The World's End (definitely)
Thor: The Dark World (Definitely)
Riddick (Definitely)

Doesn't Captain America 2 come out as well?

Victarion

Oblivion
Man of Steel
Monsters University
World War Z
Pacific Rim (maybe)
The Wolverine
300: Rise of an Empire
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

for me.

Guillermo del Toro's Mamá

L2tte.jpg

I saw this last week; it's quite good. The child actresses are great.

Also, I think it was spawned accidentally by a pun.

This contains no plot spoilers, but to be safe:
When the entity appears, it is heralded by moths. What is a way to describe one who creates moths? A moth-er.

European date for Django Unchained is in 2013 so there goes that.

Other than that... no idea. Worlds End perhaps. I didn't know Sin City and 300 sequels were coming, I might watch them whenever they are shown in TV (if I still have TV when it happens).
Man, I really don't care for movies anymore, but I might keep checking out some classics every few weeks or months.
Also, Oldboy remake is real now? ugh...

Phoenix

I'll pretty much watching anything that isn't a reboot at this point. I'm tired of seeing the same movie over and over again.

Impressive list, but I don't see what The Hunger games is doing there. What a horrible movie that was, I never understood and will never understand why people liked this. It's definitely in the same 'league' as Twilight, except that some people on GAF actually enjoy it.

Superman on number 1 though!

Stoker (March), Kick Ass 2 (June), Gravity (?), Elysium (August), and The World's End (October).

Pacific Rim (July)
ibeXPRPxSoCtiA.gif

The Place Beyond the Pines (March)
Place-Beyond-the-Pines_510x316.jpg

Only God Forgives (?)
ryan-gosling-poster-only-god-forgives.jpg

Upstream Color (January)
ECm2F.jpg

If Simon Killer (?) ever comes out.
simon_killer_1.jpeg

John Dies at the End (March in UK)
john-dies-at-the-end-movie-image-01.jpg

Nymphomaniac (?) - new Lars von Trier, so gotta see it. Quite a bit of buzz around it because of LaBeouf's antics.

Not a bad selection, time to mark my calendar!

In what fucking world is Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters a notable release?

Edit: Like Someone in Love will be the best movie released next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom