• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final 3DO (actually Matsushita) M2 control pad

Duxxy3

7xC1U.jpg

Here's part of an article called "Swimming With Dolphins" on the MX from VortexOnline

"This time Matsushita had a very viable solution for Nintendo, the MX console. What was the MX? Well, details are sketchy, but it was supposed to be the successor of the M2. Sporting two Power PC CPUs that each alone had several times the power of the M2, and pushing a lot more polygons, this system was designed for speed. Nintendo actually entered into negotiations with Matsushita about using the technology. However, Nintendo was still a fan of MIPS CPUs and wanted to use them. The architectures where not compatible, and the MX went down just like its younger brother. Or did it? Perhaps, part of it lives in the Dolphin. Rumors persist that some of the foundations of the Dolphin are based of early MX designs. Only Nintendo knows for sure."

If anyone can find the full article, I'd really appreciate it.

Again, thanks to bitrate for these pics.

Here is the M2 gaming console shown off by Panasonic at various gaming shows of the mid 1990's.

DSC03499_20.jpg

DSC03501_20.jpg

DSC03507_20.jpg

DSC03516_20.jpg

DSC03526_20.jpg

Here is some software running on the console. This software came with the unit and control pad. I got extremely lucky on this lot.

Some of these demos were photographed and shown in various gaming magazines of the time.

I'll try to get some images of the other demo's as time permits.

Here is the BIOS screen.

DSC03703_20.jpg

DSC03726_20.jpg

DSC03702_20.jpg

Here is an intro to one of several iterations of the Dolphin demo.

DSC03715_20.jpg

DSC03717_20.jpg

DSC03718_20.jpg

DSC03719_20.jpg

DSC03721_20.jpg

DSC03722_20.jpg

Here is another system demo.

DSC03760_20.jpg

Here is the "M2 Racer" demo.

DSC03750_20.jpg

DSC03756_20.jpg

DSC03758_20.jpg

DSC03754_20.jpg

Here is a system performance demo.

DSC03712_20.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Because you actually held one of these and tested it with some software.

I'm not saying this is better but it has several more things going for it than the standard N64 pad.
By several you mean just the steering wheel thingy right?

Damn, thats running on the m2? That could have been a contender during the psx/n64/saturn era

M2 would've been the most powerful consumer 3D machine of its generation. We're talking at LEAST twice the power of the Nintendo 64 (maybe 3x)
and somewhat more powerful than the top two PC 3D accelerators of the time, 3DFX Voodoo and Videologic PowerVR1. Of course, M2 couldn't touch the Dreamcast
in performance but Dreamcast was 1997/1998 hardware whereas M2 was 1994/1995/1996 hardware,

Atolm

It would be cool to grab the D2 alpha/beta. The game was in development for the M2 for quite a long time.

Really like the idea of an analog steering wheel as standard for a controller.

You know what, even though I've seen that controller back in the 1990s in magazines, I never knew it had an analog steering wheel. I just found that out when I saw it over on the 3DO Zero forums.

That looks significantly better than any N64 game that came out! I remember seeing those M2 shots in the mags so many years ago. It looked amazing at the time.

I know, and it ran at 60fps whereas Ocarina of Time ran at about 20fps. Whoever says M2 was only as, or slightly more powerful, than N64, is out of their mind.

Here are some cleaner shots:

pcrystalc.jpg

powercrustalm2954.jpg

Celine

I know, and it ran at 60fps whereas Ocarina of Time ran at about 20fps. Whoever says M2 was only as, or slightly more powerful, than N64, is out of their mind.

Here are some cleaner shots:

pcrystalc.jpg

powercrustalm2954.jpg
It sure was but Crystal Power actual screenshots (of a unfinished build) looks like this:
powercrystalproto843.jpg

D2 on the other hand was a real looker for the system.

It sure was but Crystal Power actual screenshots (of a unfinished build) looks like this:
powercrystalproto843.jpg

D2 on the other hand was a real looker for the system.

I've seen those, and I was hoping they'd never show up in this thread :p

The better shots are still real-time, I believe.

scitek

Maaaaaaan, I miss the days of finding out gaming info from magazines. :( I was so looking forward to the M2, then it just stopped being written about.

Maaaaaaan, I miss the days of finding out gaming info from magazines. :( I was so looking forward to the M2, then it just stopped being written about.

At least M2 lived on in the form of a handful of arcade games, consumer/industrial units, kiosks and (I think) vending machines.

Madao

this is pretty interesting. learning about unreleased stuff is one of my favorite things about gaming history.

also, it seems like nintendo got a really bad deal with the n64 hardware.

Top Bottom