• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Kosma

Banned
I dont know if its safe to let Kagari make it though...he's one of those types that could go on a prolonged GAF vacation ;)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Kyzer said:
Okay, poor diction. Let me re-phrase myself.

I never even tried FFXI.

Oh. Well, nothing bad about trying this for a month when it comes out. I don't see why not. :D

Khrno

Kagari said:
I can do it. I'll just need to gather all the information and what not.

After next week when all the interviews from the GC are out, could be a good time to make it, and whenever you have time of course.

Kintaro

Teknoman said:
lol i've just seen her get crappy titles, but never banned...that I know of anyway.

The jig is up! Female on the interwebs!

I kid.

WTF I need Monk action videos! They have not have recycled all of the stances/animations. =( I kind of wish they would rethink hand to hand weapons as well. As in...don't bother with them.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
The jig is up! Female on the interwebs!

I kid.

WTF I need Monk action videos! They have not have recycled all of the stances/animations. =( I kind of wish they would rethink hand to hand weapons as well. As in...don't bother with them.

So what will hand to hand pros use?

EDIT: Man coming from FFXI...having a run speed that fast is going to be great.

Khrno

If they indeed have a similar WS to Red Lotus Blade called Red Lotos as in that Gladiator image, then you can be sure you will have some h2h WS called Ashuran. :lol

Teknoman said:
So what will hand to hand pros use?

Real men use their bare hands.

Teknoman

Khrno said:
Real men use their bare hands.

Actually that would be kinda cool. Then you'd just have to worry about normal armor. That and you wouldnt be out of the melee fight if your blade went down to max weakness.

EDIT: anyone notice the characters still targeting dead monsters?

Estival

Sin said:
FFXIV2.jpg
Oh... I thought the glowing spots on the Malboro were eyes and thought it looked pretty rad. Now I feel stupid. The cactuar is cute though, I like it better than XI's.

Teknoman

Malboro looks alot scarier than most models. Nice.

Oh yeah and on Gladiator, traits from past FF games with that job:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gladiator

a special kind of job class in the Final Fantasy series. The Gladiator job is all about dealing heavy damage, usually with elements added to their attack. The trade-off is that the Gladiator has very low accuracy or defense compared to other melee jobs.

Has appeared in all Ivalice Alliance games (except original FFT) and FFV advance.

Kintaro

Teknoman said:
Actually that would be kinda cool. Then you'd just have to worry about normal armor. That and you wouldnt be out of the melee fight if your blade went down to max weakness.

EDIT: anyone notice the characters still targeting dead monsters?

I believe in one of the older FF games, Monk was actually stronger without a fist weapon. But I can't recall. Anyways, it was always stupid to me to strap on claws or something goofy to your fists to punch something. You would only fuck yourself up. :lol

Estival said:
Oh... I thought the glowing spots on the Malboro were eyes and thought it looked pretty rad. Now I feel stupid. The cactuar is cute though, I like it better than XI's.
I agree that the Cactuar looks better than the XI model but I would rather fight the giant Cactuar from X-2 :D.

Kyzer

Banned
So what's the general consensus on the release date for this behemoth? (lulz)

We know (or are at least fairly certain) that FFXIII will be coming out in the general Q1/Q2 area. So would this be a Q3/Q4 release? Or do they follow a business model that does not see the two titles as potentially debilitating for the other's sales?

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
I believe in one of the older FF games, Monk was actually stronger without a fist weapon. But I can't recall. Anyways, it was always stupid to me to strap on claws or something goofy to your fists to punch something. You would only fuck yourself up. :lol

Yeah, they probably should change the attack animation when equiped with a claw or those brass knuckles style weapons. Maybe give monks different belts/ necklaces to boost hand to hand power instead? Like some magatama necklace or rosary bead = new hand to hand skill?

Kyzer said:

We know (or are at least fairly certain) that FFXIII will be coming out in the general Q1/Q2 area. So would this be a Q3/Q4 release? Or do they follow a business model that does not see the two titles as potentially debilitating for the other's sales?

Actually I wouldnt count out a close release schedule. An MMO shouldnt cut into a single player RPG of the same series. And most fans would end up buying both anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
Kyzer said:

Well they said they want a long beta, and for shareholders it's probably not going to be in the same fiscal year as the Japanese XIII release, but it's an instant money maker and doesn't need a massive launch. So I would say any time from May till before the xmas push. If it's not ready by then, before March '11.

Teknoman

stuburns said:
Well they said they want a long beta, and for shareholders it's probably not going to be in the same fiscal year as the Japanese XIII release, but it's an instant money maker and doesn't need a massive launch. So I would say any time from May till before the xmas push. If it's not ready by then, before March '11.

As long as we get beta soon :lol

Khrno

stuburns said:

I actually believe that they will meet the 2010 date, by calendar year and not FY. Why do I think this? Because they can do what they have been doing in the past with FFXI, and just meet the launch date with a 'content-lacking' product.

Of course this could be seen as a bad thing, but I'm not quite talking on the levels of WotG. They should have enough content already by now. I know there won't be numbered numbered levels, but there will be some sort of 'soft cap' as in how many skills you will be able to get before we get a higher set of skills from the next update and so on.

So unless there are some serious QA problems during the beta testing phase, I don't see any problem for a possible September/November 2010 worldwide release.

StuBurns

Banned
Khrno said:
So unless there are some serious QA problems during the beta testing phase, I don't see any problem for a possible September/November 2010 worldwide release.
I totally agree. I was being a little conservative, but I think it'll make next year without any major issue.

Teknoman

http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1015766p1.html

The look and style of the game feels very much like Final Fantasy XI, with rolling landscapes and detailed, colorful character graphics. The game is currently in its alpha stages, and it shows. There's no real point in bothering to criticize the graphics of an unfinished product, except to say there's still work to be done, which should be obvious. To my delight I found that my character, a female Elvaan hunter equipped with a giant bow, could actually move down and up small ridges on the landscape.

If you didn't play FF XI and don't know why that matters, then don't worry about it. The game still blocks you from dropping longer distances, but as for roaming around on plains or slightly hilly terrain, it seems like smooth sailing. Or walking, rather.

There is now an overhead map as well as the compass.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Oh god... the run speed. I don't even know how to describe the pain I felt running in FFXI. The slow... monotonous drifting in the Sarutabaru (or whatever) plains, the 12 minutes it took me to walk into Tahongri (or whatever) canyon... ugh.... Getting my Airship pass literally almost made me cry.

It makes me so happy that the run speed has gone up, now if they scale the world so that it still takes forever to get from A to B, I am going to punch someone. Probably Kintaro because he stole my name(ish).

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
stuburns said:
I can understand people not being stunned by the game for sure. It's an evolution on FFXI, not a complete reinvention of MMOs. And FFXIII is essentially FFX-2-2.

People, myself included, do tend to expect too much from the first next-gen entry to a series.

A fool is afoot.

snakeiox

Neo Member
Captain N said:
You go from calling her a 'him' to callimg her 'baby'?
:lol
kagari is a woman, wow i didnt know that, mind blown, by the way, i owe her my life for the highly amazing avatar that she gives me =D <3!!

on topic, i havent been reading a lot of ffXIV but anyone know the monthly fee for this game or that hasnt been announced?

Zaptruder

Banned
The more I look at this the more I know this isn't the flavour of MMO that I want to play...

I'm sorry, but little things like jumping, and rate of swing is a huge deal IMO... it just lowers the energy soooo much when your character stands around for a good few seconds before swining.

While I wasn't expecting anything quite as extreme, I was hoping something more in the vein of Blade and Soul rather than FFXI as far as animations went (maybe like FFXIII, where Lightning goes in for multiple strikes each time). Doesn't look like that's happening though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
snakeiox said:
kagari is a woman, wow i didnt know that, mind blown, by the way, i owe her my life for the highly amazing avatar that she gives me =D <3!!

on topic, i havent been reading a lot of ffXIV but anyone know the monthly fee for this game or that hasnt been announced?

Not only is Kagari a woman, she is also a woman that is 'adequately' attractive by even GAF's sharp knees standard. She doesn't think so though, so she really likes it when people PM her telling her how pretty she is. Oh, particularly Juniors.

Anything and everything said before this spoiler will get me in shit, do not actually do any of these things. Damn people finding out Kagari is a girl every other damn page!

I can almost guarantee there will be a monthly fee, I don't remember if it was properly announced, but the amount of generated monies from subscribtion fees is too much to pass up for a game that will be as big as FFXIV.

hgplayer1

well Ive seen some impressions in this thread that just make me scratch my head and wonder how its so hard to understand that this is a demo build for a convention and you cant take away too much from it.

One of the things Im skeptical about is the speed of the game. While it doesnt look super fast its certainly looks higher paced than FFXI. But is that just for the demo since they know people are only gonna have 15 mins to play it? Its like everything has haste and quickened on.

I wouldnt be surprised if by the time the game releases (not beta) there is some "adjustment" made to the speed of the game. Remember that once we buy the game they want us to play it for a long time and the longer it takes us to walk from here to there for every little thing the more hours we play.

Invisible walls? Of course! Did you think the whole world would be open for this demo?

I wish we had a vid of one of the devs playing the game. I got the feeling that the people we see playing dont have a grasp of the controls or the camera.

I need to rewatch a lot of the stuff again but Im officially hyped and I CAN wait another year or so for this game to come out as long as we keep getting new info and media.

Kyzer

Banned
Teknoman said:
GALKA FIGHT!

29ymef4.jpg

MEGATON: Galka confirmed for MvC3

Also, in regards to the combat system pace, you have to take into account that they weren't using many advanced skills, which would surely change things a lot. Seemed like they were just on auto-attack.

I'm more interested in knowing if they were using pre-leveled characters or if the mobs were just that weak.

Khrno

Of course it will have monthly fees. I wonder why would people even thing that a MMO from such a company and of such magnitude would be free to play.

Anyway, they haven't said how much will they be, or how much they game will cost, all the pricing will be prbably announced in the coming months or early next year.

StuBurns

Banned
Kinitari said:
Not only is Kagari a woman, she is also a woman that is 'adequately' attractive by even GAF's sharp knees standard. She doesn't think so though, so she really likes it when people PM her telling her how pretty she is. Oh particularly Juniors.
The topic is now officially that there is a girl on GAF. Does fistful know?

Sorry Kagari, just playing.

To anyone who played FFXI a lot, (I barely touched it years ago), how did it control on gamepad versus a mouse? Someone mentioned they think the targeting system on today's build was the gamepad system (which was an astute observation I think). Was the game very playable on console?

My PC could probably run it, but I'm much more into the comfort of console gaming, especially games I'm going to put a lot of time into.

Jinko

So what with there being no character levels system, do you think the armor will have massive stat boosts such as 1000+ HP (will probably be vit tho), but have a requirement to wear the armor.

Or do you think that stats will be linked to the weapons and how far you have skill them up.

Supposedly the characters were buffed in this build but they only had 300 LP (life points) It is more likely the mobs attacks were nerfed though.

Also noticed that the Warrior class had 3000 TP and that it slowly built up over time after he used it. (although it could be a combination of him attacking and being attacked, was hard to tell)

Teknoman

Hey it does say LP. Just noticed that.
Also in one of the videos (magic and melee from GT), the mage has a spell called Dunkelheit (Darkness)? New name for blind?

Staves seem to burn with magic energy.

Top Bottom