• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Costanza

Banned
2dwcg8l.png

Official Site

720p Trailer

Square Enix Unveils Newest Addition to the FINAL FANTASY Series, FINAL FANTASY XIV!

MMORPG Scheduled for Simultaneous Global Release on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Windows

LOS ANGELES, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), announced that FINAL FANTASY XIV, an all new massively-multiplayer role-playing game (MMORPG), is planned for simultaneous global release with language support in Japanese, English, French and German.

Adventure begins anew in the vast realm of Eorzea!

More information on FINAL FANTASY XIV can be found at http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/.

About FINAL FANTASY XIV

Platforms: PLAYSTATION(R) 3 & Windows(R)
*Details on required PC specifications to be announced
at a later date
Languages: Japanese, English, German, French (simultaneous release)
Genre: MMORPG
Release: 2010
MSRP: TBD
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Copyright: (C) SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Development Staff
Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)
Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)
Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story(R), FINAL FANTASY XII)
Music: Nobuo Uematsu of SMILE PLEASE (FINAL FANTASY series)

More info summarized thanks to -Kh-:

-Kh- said:
The following is the only confirmed information available as of June 3, 2009

*Confirmed for PS3 and PC. They are currently considering other platforms like "Microsoft Hardware" but nothing has been decided.

*There will be no character transfers from FFXI to FFXIV, but you will be able to transfer your Friends List.

*PlayOnline will not be used.

*Races will be "similar" to the ones in FFXI.

*There will be a "job system" but this is undefined and will be different from FFXI.

*FFXI (Vana'diel) and FFXIV (Eorzea) are completely different game worlds, there is no relation.

*FFXI will not be canceled with the release of FFXIV. There is another year of content for FFXI planned currently.

*FFXIV will be more casual friendly.

*FFXIV will have solo content. Battles will range from many vs. many to many vs. one.

*There will be a simultaneous worldwide release, with English, Japanese, German and French language versions at launch. No plans for Spanish in the short-term.

*The trailer had both CGI and in-game rendering. No confirmation of any in-game combat or actual in-game content.

*Job system will be "fairly different" from FFXI. "The player can grow & develop in a more natural way without putting too much weight on the player."

*Content will range from solo to what very large groups, and range from casual to hardcore.

*There is absolutely no concrete information about the Beta.

*No pricing structure has been decided.

256a93p.jpg

eupizq.jpg

23lzii9.jpg

2r26fs6.jpg

prateeko

500 - INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

On more than one level

Nevermind, it's not a normal Final Fantasy, it's an online version (only I think).

Tntnnbltn

Impending forum implosion.

I was expecting Jack to say "Final Fantasy XIII Versus", but then he comes out with 14. Wow.

Edit: "Final Fantasy 14 Online"?

HBroward

Shortest dev time for a FF title ever? I want to believe so much.

Edit: If this is just the online game they have been developing, hype refocused back to single player 13. Not an MMO guy myself.

Aeana

This is Rapture. And I hope people can see now what I meant when I said FF11 players would find some stuff familiar.

As for PS3 exclusivity... I still don't know about that. I heard just recently "PC first, PS3 and 360 later." I guess we'll see.

chase

Online? Hopefully not just co-op. Hoping for MMO-ness. FF has lost all it's power with me, but hype + 100 at that one word.

edit: yes, it is a MMO! sweet.

CiSTM

Banned
meh. The setting looked real awesome and I would take this any time over FFXIII but I don't care for online rpg games so I don't give a shit... But dam the setting was hot ! Why can't this be Xiii ?

Doodlebug

Biggest announcement of E3 so far for me. I can't believe it's coming so soon.

As I said in the other thread, if it's truly PS3 exclusive, that's it, I'm finally purchasing a PS3.

Eteric Rice

I don't know how it's never occured to them to make a game called "Final Fantasy: Online" rather than making numbered titles into MMOs.

This is stupid.

Edit: Fuck, even 4chan is laughing at this.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Aren't they working on an MMO that isn't Final Fantasy? I thought they were developing 2 MMOs, the FF MMO and a new IP MMO.

PC Gaijin

Ahahaha, FFXI haters owned! Especially those stupid shits that were all "even Square doesn't think XI is a real FF yesterday!" :lol

Hobbun

They should have never included their MMO’s as part as the mainline FF games. Keep Rapture named Rapture and make FF XIV a ‘true’ single player FF experience.

Rpgmonkey

Well that's what I get for not watching the conference. :/

Might be a nice sign that the XIII-XV era can still be this gen.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
  • Its an MMO, just like FFXI
  • Its PS3 exclusive
  • Its coming out 2010, the same year as FFXIII

...Is Square stupid or something?

Top Bottom