• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
grandjedi6 said:
  • Its an MMO, just like FFXI
  • Its PS3 exclusive
  • Its coming out 2010, the same year as FFXIII

...Is Square stupid or something?

Probably Late 2010, if 2010 at all. Not really competing with each other.

Mileena

Banned
FFXI is a great game, fuck the haters. Hopefully it uses POL and gives us rewards for having leetskeet characters. Would be nice if my 75s transfered over... !

Aeana

Jtyettis said:
Online ftl.

Question for those in the know is this Rapture? If so that leaked too Tretton.
Aeana said:
This is Rapture. And I hope people can see now what I meant when I said FF11 players would find some stuff familiar.

As for PS3 exclusivity... I still don't know about that. I heard just recently "PC first, PS3 and 360 later." I guess we'll see.

From the last page.

vazel

Banned
Bpatrol said:
yeah theres never been a successful online final fantasy ever
Square has said they're pleased with FFXI's subscriptions. 500k in 2008 and the most popular MMO in Japan.

NekoFever

I'd love a comparison of the cheers when Final Fantasy XIV was announced and after the trailer when they saw that it was an MMO.

Best news of E3 yet. Just logged onto to FFXI to tell my ls mates. I'll be joining this game day one. Whether I have to get a PS3 for it or not.

YES YES YES

I doubt it's exclusive but frankly I've been waiting years for this and it's FFXIV AND looks to have some connection to Vana'diel as I'd dreamed of

so

YES

MMO-haters be damned, this is the biggest thing of E3 for me.

Yazus

Fuck you square, why the fuck you cant call your damn online game Final Fantasy: Online?

I mean jesus christ you really have to waste a number of your saga?

Anyways, trivial matters aside, I fear PS3 exclusivity will kill this game. I know FF11 is the best jap online game ATM but Square could aim for a little more...

This could also be a free to play on PS3 with the only cost being the game disc. Lets see how this turns out but I'm going to try this when comes out (I have to buy a PS3 for Versus anyways >_>)

Burai

shitonmychest57
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIV for PS3, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXIV for 360 and PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Burai said:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIV for PS3, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXIV for 360 and PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

3/10

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yazus said:
This could also be a free to play on PS3 with the only cost being the game disc.

yeah and maybe your dealer will only force you to buy your pipe and he'll give you all your crack for free

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Yazus said:
Fuck you square, why the fuck you cant call your damn online game Final Fantasy: Online?

Watch out, they may run out of numbers soon.

This is what people are bitching about? :lol

Muffdraul

Yazus said:

God, that's such a narrow minded fanboy-ish thing to say.

And yet, I agree 100%. :D

Mau ®

Day 1 for sure. I loved FFXI. Im sure SE will make this one less time consuming and more solo friendly, they eventually made FFXI that way (kinda late but still).

I hope it comes out on PC and 360 honestly. I only own a PS3 but I would love the game to have a massive community.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
This is so funny. I JUST created my first FFXI character this morning. :lol Can't wait for this.

soco

gdt5016 said:
There is absolutely no way this stays exclusive to just PS3.

No way in hell.

if you look at the wording, it's already clear it won't.

"will be the only console you can play it on when it launches in 2010"

that's from the eurogamer liveblog, so assuming that's accurate...

chase

Looks like I'm in the minority who's more excited by it being a MMO. I'm just burned out on JRPGs and this could be the switch up that gets me back into a final fantasy.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
gdt5016 said:
There is absolutely no way this stays exclusive to just PS3.

No way in hell.

It sounded very much like a timed exclusive, and I'd bet he means exclusive in the console-sense. I'd bet money the PC version is out at or even before the PS3 version.

Also, FFXI is a steaming pile of shit. But, I loved the atmosphere of the game and if Square could fix some of the archaic gameplay elements and the WORST FUCKING UI IN MMO HISTORY then I'd be pretty excited for this.

PC Gaijin

I'm thrilled with the announcement; this is the best news out of E3 for me. I just love the fact that it's another online FF and that it uses a number after hearing all the stupid whining for years about "XI is not a real FF" and "why'd they use a mainline number for it". It's also funny because you know there were a ton of PS3 fanboys out there that were like "yes! FFIX PS3 exclusive bitches!" only to get a massive kick in the nuts a minute later when it was revealed to be an MMO. :lol

I'm guessing this might be a timed exclusive to the PS3. Can't see it not appearing on the PC at least; in fact if anything I thought it would debut on the PC first. Doesn't matter since I have all platforms and will be on this day one.

Burai said:

neogafavatar.jpg

corkscrewblow said:
FFXI is a great game, fuck the haters. Hopefully it uses POL and gives us rewards for having leetskeet characters. Would be nice if my 75s transfered over... !

I agree. can't wait for this. If anything I don't give a shit about FFXIII.

-Kh-

Banned
The art direction is amazing. The characters look great. Crystal Tools are awesome.

For me already FFXIV > FFXIII.

madara

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome annoucement! Keep easy mode away from the game and we are all set to rock at end of 2010!

My god this kicks ass. Those who are bitter about online-ness, I'm sorry, but this is NOT SE shooting themselves in the foot. This is going to be incredible. FFXI STILL brings in tons of cash for SE, and this game will do them TONS of good with the FFXIV title. I can't wait.

Getting Crystal Bearers, FF13, and now this, possibly all within 12 months of each other, is going to blow my fucking mind.

Cedille

I think one may have two or three years they can spent in the nonsense like MMO in their lives, but I still think we should avoid it.

Teknoman

Spire said:
It sounded very much like a timed exclusive, and I'd bet he means exclusive in the console-sense. I'd bet money the PC version is out at or even before the PS3 version.

Also, FFXI is a steaming pile of shit. But, I loved the atmosphere of the game and if Square could fix some of the archaic gameplay elements and the WORST FUCKING UI IN MMO HISTORY then I'd be pretty excited for this.

That was a little much...

The game is probably going to take place in a future vana, since we already went to the past on FFXI.
Wonder how many new jobs we will get day one.

-Kh-

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Getting Crystal Bearers, FF13, and now this, possibly all within 12 months of each other, is going to blow my fucking mind.

I'm very looking forward to SE conference now!

The only thing that could make it better now, is if they announce a new FF for DS (FFV remake of course!), that would just make this E3 perfect!

Top Bottom