• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

From the E3 thread:

Wednesday June 3rd, 2009
Square Enix: 11:00 AM PT / 2:00 PM ET / 7:00 PM PT
No live streams. At the very least 1up is liveblogging it and the blog sites should obviously be liveblogging too.

Sucks no streams, hope we get some videos.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Absolutely stupid decision if it's actually PS3 only.

Wow.

Also, it's kind of lessening the impact of the main FF series to use the numbering.

Aeana

omg rite said:

Wow.

Also, it's kind of lessening the impact of the main FF series to use the numbering.
It's not. But I guess my posts are being ignored, now.

I'm pretty sure Jack just got away with saying "exclusive" when he actually meant "timed exclusive"

Aeana I haven't been ignoring you! In fact I've been stalking you for posts vaguely related to Rapture for some time. <.<

ashism

This thread needs less bitching.

FFXI is awesome.

FFXI 2 aka XIV will be awesome.

God I am so excited it hurts, I hope it's as hardcore as the first while revamping the UI and some gameplay.

u_neek

I was totally blown away and utterly shocked by this announcement... until I saw the word "online" in the logo. Total letdown :(

Call it FF: Online II or something, SE!

i'm a huge huge FFXI fan. but calling this XIV was probably a mistake

either way, it's just a name. hope it's fun. i won't know, because i'm a recovering FFXI addict and hope to stay clean.

-Kh-

Banned
omg rite said:

Wow.

I don't agree with you, if you are blaming a decrease of strenght in the FF brand is in no way related to XI and now XIV, but if you really want to blame these 2 games, then don't forget to blame as well X-2, VII Crisis Core (and all the other related crap), Versus XIII and XIII Agito.

So don't come here talking shit about how a MMO lessens the impact of the main FF series.

cruets

this was allllllll i wanted for e3! thank you square and sony! i neeeedz video so i can t watch it over and over!!

batbeg

PC Gaijin said:
Ahahaha, FFXI haters owned! Especially those stupid shits that were all "even Square doesn't think XI is a real FF yesterday!" :lol

...it was a joke, smartass :-/

The setting for this looked so absolutely awesome. I was never really able to play FFXI due to a variety of reasons, so I'm really looking forward to being able to play this one :D

So can the whiners please stop whining so we can get to speculating?

Looking at some blurry stills from the video it's obvious we've got the familiar races from FFXI, and the world is named differently. Is this a Vana'diel of the distant future? That's sort of what I've been dreaming about for a couple of years so if it's true I'll be blown away.

I'm way too excited about this.

sciplore

Wow the thread title made me think of something really different :lol :lol :lol.

I wish they used the DQ world then just FF. That would have been a mmo I would get day one.

kman3000

At first I was like ":O FFXIV exclusive and coming next year!, way to go sony"

But then I saw "Online"

And I was like "Oh just a new MMO :/"

So it will be announced for the PC anytime now more then likely....

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe people didn't know that it was an MMO from the second he said it was XIV and it was launching in 2010. Especially when there had been all the rumors about Square's MMO follow up to XI being shown at the Sony show.

I mean, how much more of a giveaway could there be?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm glad it's an MMO because it'll keep the shitheads from GAF away from it.

Was looking forward to Square's new one, didn't show anything really which is no surprise but it'll be very interesting to see how they go about it this time.

My draw dropped when heard 14 and was amazed throughout the whole trailer.

It sucks that it's another online game and not a SP game but I'm definitely going to be trying this one out. The setting just looks too awesome to pass up.

And I guess this goes to show that GAF isn't the majority. It's going to sell like hot cakes. And if for some reason it didn't have a monthly fee or something small like $5, it's going to sell even better.

-Kh-

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
So can the whiners please stop whining so we can get to speculating?

Looking at some blurry stills from the video it's obvious we've got the familiar races from FFXI, and the world is named differently. Is this a Vana'diel of the distant future? That's sort of what I've been dreaming about for a couple of years so if it's true I'll be blown away.

I'm way too excited about this.

I think they would actually called it FFXI-2 if it was Vana'diel. So I would think instead that they will just be reusing races and maybe adding a new one, and probably Manthras.

But I really hope it is a new world. I want a new world with a great history to uncover.

Alex

I wish they used the DQ world then just FF.

No, fuck that. I love Dragon Quest but Vana'diel had one of the best game worlds and storylines in a JRPG ever. Chains of Promathia was total <3.

XI was a masterpiece buried behind a slow start and ten tons too much hardcore, hopefully they've learned a thing or two about accessibility this time.

Great day to be able to wash the total fruitcake art direction of XIII and Versus XIII out of a classic Final Fantasy fans mouth a little. This is what Final Fantasy is supposed to fucking look like.

Chrange

Banned
I can't believe an online game forsaking the 360 unless there was some SERIOUS money thrown around by Sony, and since they don't do that I'd bet this gets the same 'oh hey, also on 360' announcement that FF XIII got...though at some point down the road.

Top Bottom