• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 14 Online announced. PS3/PC Exclusive. 2010! Art Director Yoshida!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
Showing unfinished games as playable at a show is such a risky thing to do that Im surprised it happens so often, because people will jump to conclusions as soon as something doesnt look polished.

Hey man, when you show a game, you're telling people its ready to be shown. No one cares about what build it is in, no one gives a shit and they shouldn't. You are telling the press "this game is ready for us to show and for you to play." That means they were confident in their build. Period. The writers always bail them out in the end ("we'll play a better build in the future..."), but that's the way I see it. You take your lumps or praise along with it.

They should have been more controlled in showing this. Demoed it on stage themselves with their own employees to show the game in a better light.

Teknoman

Kintaro said:
Hey man, when you show a game, you're telling people its ready to be shown. No one cares about what build it is in, no one gives a shit and they shouldn't. You are telling the press "this game is ready for us to show and for you to play." That means they were confident in their build. Period. The writers always bail them out in the end ("we'll play a better build in the future..."), but that's the way I see it. You take your lumps or praise along with it.

They should have been more controlled in showing this. Demoed it on stage themselves with their own employees to show the game in a better light.

This really would've been the best way. Its never good to throw people into game without some sort of minor tutorial...especially at a convention. They probably should've had a demonstration the first day, then let people play the next.

hteng

Banned
hmm from all those vids, seems like auto locking is not available? in FFXI you can autolock and circle around the monster, but it seem thats not the case for FFXIV

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
hteng said:
hmm from all those vids, seems like auto locking is not available? in FFXI you can autolock and circle around the monster, but it seem thats not the case for FFXIV

Might just be people don't know what the hell they were doing - I got a very strong "What the hell am I doing" vibe watching those people aimlessly move around/attempt attacks.

Varna

hteng said:

I'm sure there will be an option. Would be stupid not to have it. Really made the battles look better.

Teknoman

Kinitari said:
Might just be people don't know what the hell they were doing - I got a very strong "What the hell am I doing" vibe watching those people aimlessly move around/attempt attacks.

Thats about the size of it.

I'll admit. That video has me a little freaked-out. And not in a good way.

I do hope it's just a matter of ppl on a show floor goofing off w/ no clue what they're doing.

NeoForte

You what was the one thing that annoyed me? in FFXI we never got Final Fantasy until recently with the ending theme to ACP (which was the highlight of that craptastic expansion....next to the augmented gear of course).

B.K.

NeoForte said:
You what was the one thing that annoyed me? in FFXI we never got Final Fantasy until recently with the ending theme to ACP (which was the highlight of that craptastic expansion....next to the augmented gear of course).

I'm listening to it now on Youtube. This is one of the best versions of Final Fantasy that I've heard. :eek:

Micromegas said:
I do hope it's just a matter of ppl on a show floor goofing off w/ no clue what they're doing.

No it's actually just a game where you run around and look at monsters without doing anything.

..what the hell do you think it was?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:

Im 50/50 on this. I think its important to educate the public as to ow an unfinished game is like. Its important that the consumer understand what he can and cannot expect when a game is shown.

That being said, I was still really impressed by the videos, so I would call Gamescon a success for them.

hteng said:

Auto lock was X, and when this was on, you always had focus on that target, even when it was a corpse.

Kinitari said:

Well, I play WoW currently and I played FF XI for 4 years. If there was any "don't know what to do vibe", its because the damn thing was in German and the translator/speaker decided to stop translating crap into English for us once he got into the stuff that mattered. All I know is I finished my quest and then the guy told me to go kill random mobs.

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah like those gametrailers impressions.

"The controls were pretty similar to FFXI, players of the game will be familiar with how to control the character.

OH WTF WHY DO I HAVE TO HIT TAB TO SELECT ENEMIES THIS IS STUPID."

You really didn't get my complaint dude. Fricking hitting JUST TAB to target an enemy would have been a godsend - that's WoW, genius. FF XI is Mouse Click/Fkey, and then TAB to lock on (or you can re-arrange your keys with mods). FF XIV is Tab, then enter, then X. THREE STEPS BEFORE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING. That's fricking stupid and is NOT FF XI. Unless the guy who explained the controls was wrong, this is how you did it. I really think Tab, then X to lock on camera is how it should be. The Enter key needs to be cut out.

HappyBivouac said:
The videos were mostly characters standing/running around not actually hitting things while a guy talked in German. You're a moron if you judge the gameplay based on them.

(...nevermind that stuff I said earlier that was judging the gameplay...)

GT's videos were from the main monitor, which was switching between all 12 players. None of that footage had my character in it. They didn't let you film the individual monitors, or I would have shown just my gameplay, which was not standing around being retarded and actually killing crap. The guy even switched me from Melee to Mage since I finished so quickly, then the demo broke (no action commands would work anymore). That was disappointing.

Jinko

Sounds like you were expecting too much, there is still a crap load of time for things to change.

There is a reason MMO's have such a long beta peroid.

FF XI is Mouse Click/Fkey, and then TAB to lock on

Since when?, it was tab to scroll through targets and - (or was it *) key to lock on.

But you never had to lock on in FF11 as Tab, Enter, Enter was enough, or Tab >> Macro for a caster, the only time you had to lock on during battle was if you switched target or changed equipment.

There will no doubt be the ability to remap actions to different keys, if thats the case putting the lock button next to the engage button would seem like a wise choice.

The only reason this seem counter intuitive is because the X and enter key are so far across the keyboard that it may seem like more hassle than it should be.

Feep

Banned
Site update! Lots of new stuff! Apparently.

Reading through now.

Bestiary - Lots of FFXI creatures are making their return, though little information is given. Ahriman, Antelope, Cactuar, Aldgoat, Mammet, Morbol, Ogre, Opo-Opo, Puk, and Raptor are listed, with no additional information beyond pictures of each. Ogres look badass.

Disciplines - Four major types listed, as we already knew.

Disciples of Combat - Five disciplines are listed, with no descriptions. Archer (FFXI Ranger), Lancer (FFXI Dragoon), Gladiator (FFXI Warrior/Paladin), Marauder (FFXI Warrior? Unsure), and Pugilist (FFXI Monk).

Disciples of Magic - Thaumaturge is the only currently listed profession, with no extra information given.

Disciples of the Land - Botanist is the only currently listed profession, with no extra information given.

Disciples of the Hand - Five disciplines are listed, with descriptions for each. Alchemist, Blacksmith, Culinarian, Tanner, and Weaver.

Lifestyle - Just a little story of a culinarian cooking up some stuff for an adventurer. Nothing major.

There was more, but site is getting HAMMERED. Stay tuned.

Top Bottom