• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 3 (snes) or Final Fantasy 6 (steam)?

chemicals

I played this game years ago on the snes... like when it first came out. Since then I have heard that the snes translation wasn't accurate. So I see it's available on steam for 15 bucks. I own the SNES original and still have a working SNES. Is the translation really different in the Steam version? Is it better? I mean, the snes cart has very quick battles and is very playable today in 2017. I just want to play the best version. Help.

The Steam version. Aside from new art desing, it is superior in every way to the SNES release.

Though I'd suggest you play the GBA version if you can get it. It has the classic 16-bit art and has almost every issue of original SNES version fixed.

Zog

Banned
I am playing the SNES version right now (SNES Mini). The Mobile/Steam version has the auto battle and extras from the GBA version but I prefer to play it with a real SNES controller.

I have no complaints about the mobile/Steam version and technically it's the superior version but I just prefer to play it this way.

Pejo

Palabragrís;253095772 said:
The Steam version. Aside from new art desing, it is superior in every way to the SNES release.

Though I'd suggest you play the GBA version if you can get it. It has the classic 16-bit art and has almost every issue of original SNES version fixed.

Has the steam version been modded to use the original sprites yet? I just can't go into the game with those new ones, it's disgusting.

Zog

Banned
Never played FF 3 but I strongly recommend FF 6. Great story and characters

Final Fantasy 3 US (SNES) is Final Fantasy 6 in Japan. It's just that Final Fantasy 2, 3 & 5 in Japan were never released in the US. So in the US the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 4 is 2 and the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 6 is 3, both released on the SNES. Make sense?

With the release of 7, they corrected the numbering inconsistency.

Barakov

I'd recommended the steam vesion but those sprites are awful and very much prefer SNES/GBA ones. IF you can, I'd track down the GBA version.

Which version does the SNES Classic use? I'm assuming the original snes one

Also... Which FF3 is the US DS release? 3 or 6?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Def get the steam version most 16 bit snes games aged like crap.

Steam has updated gfx everything looks way way sharper.

And you get all the extra from the gba.
Most people that prefer gba and snes suffer from severe nostalgiaritus.

You can also play it on mobile. (Not sure if you can use a bluetooth controller otherwise skip it)

Velikost

You can also play it on mobile. (Not sure if you can use a bluetooth controller otherwise skip it)

Solid meme

Zog

Banned

You can use a Bluetooth controller. I haven't tried it but I have seen the option in the menu. Anyway, some people prefer to play games with original hardware.

Spukc

You can use a Bluetooth controller. I haven't tried it but I have seen the option in the menu. Anyway, some people prefer to play games with original hardware.
Sure if you use one on an old crt.
But why not try an updated version with more content?
On a higher res screen ? 🤔

Zog

Banned
Sure if you use one on an old crt.
But why not try an updated version with more content?
On a higher res screen ? 🤔

I have played every version. Anyway, the SNES Classic looks fine on a HDTV, it has a CRT mode that looks fantastic. I can't state just how much of a difference it makes to me to play it with the controller it was designed for.

LordRaptor

ss_b3a5dd32e3a8882ff71d0c50ff084a9724d696dc.jpg

G6yfWza.gif

Velius

Banned

This.

I don't understand how anyone would like the Mobile game design of these cheap reskins.

Honestly the best way to play it is on the SNES, or the Wii Virtual Console. Truly. Until a proper remake is crafted, it's the best thing we got.

Unless you want to delve into less orthodox methodology.

I'm playing through FFVI on Steam right now -- I chose this simply because of the achievements. I want to 100% complete FFVI, and the achievements are a way to track that and involve my friends / gaming community in that journey!

I also like the modding and the big computer screen - as opposed to the GBA.

LordRaptor

The only thing nice are the potraits, rest is trash.

Yeah, they just ran the original sprites through a photoshop filter which blurs out all of the detail and makes it look like shit.

The best way to play it is through an emulator with some CRT filters to emulate how CRT scanlines + non square pixels + colour bleed looked on ana ctual TV, and those graphics still look really nice today.

From this thread:
emulator no filter (square pixels, incorrect aspect ratio, no scanlines, no colour bleed)

emulated CRT filter (non square pixels, correct aspect ration, colour bleed, darkened to match CRTs being naturally darker than TFTs)

Look at all the implicit details a really good pixel artist can convey thats just washed out completely in the shittyass mobile edition

Paulxo87

Snes mini is best way to play the snes version right now for convenience sake.. if you managed to get your hands on one

GlitchF5

Neo Member
Palabragrís;253095772 said:

Or the PlayStation version, which you can download on PSN if you have a PS3 or buy the physical Final Fantasy Anthology copy (which will also play on PlayStation 3).

Or the PlayStation version, which you can download on PSN if you have a PS3 or buy the physical Final Fantasy Anthology copy (which will also play on PlayStation 3).

Yeah, I've forgotten that version. Also superior to the SNES one and with the 16-bit graphics. Though the GBA version has a better localization and sound.

But, between SNES or Steam ports, I stand by the Steam port.

LordRaptor

Palabragrís;253097167 said:
Yeah, I've forgotten that version. Also superior to the SNES one

wat

Maybe if you hate your life and want to burn huge chunks of it away waiting for things to load.

GlitchF5

Neo Member
wat

Maybe if you hate your life and want to burn huge chunks of it away waiting for things to load.

Personally, this was kind of blown out of proportion in my opinion. I honestly didn't mind that version at all. It can get annoying at times, but if you use the digital download version on the Vita or the PSN store, it's not really an issue anymore.

Ailike

Just do the steam version. Aside from the art, its perfectly fine. Its a lot more conveneient to play, and youre playing for the story/experience, not the sprites anyway. Besides, with the SNES version there are bugs. They arent game changing, but if you can skip useless stats or the game crashing from sketching the wrong thing, you might as well.

LordRaptor

Personally, this was kind of blown out of proportion in my opinion. I honestly didn't mind that version at all. It can get annoying at times, but if you use the digital download version on the Vita or the PSN store, it's not really an issue anymore.

I mean, ymmv on how much you are prepared to tolerate a ~5 second load time before every. single. battle. compared to the ~1 second on every other platform, but its insane to claim that its in any way "superior" to the SNES original.

Agreed. Steam version is still great - story and narrative still holds up. Art style is a matter of preference, not superiority.

Spukc

Yeah, they just ran the original sprites through a photoshop filter which blurs out all of the detail and makes it look like shit.

The best way to play it is through an emulator with some CRT filters to emulate how CRT scanlines + non square pixels + colour bleed looked on ana ctual TV, and those graphics still look really nice today.

From this thread:
emulator no filter (square pixels, incorrect aspect ratio, no scanlines, no colour bleed)

emulated CRT filter (non square pixels, correct aspect ration, colour bleed, darkened to match CRTs being naturally darker than TFTs)

Look at all the implicit details a really good pixel artist can convey thats just washed out completely in the shittyass mobile edition

NostalgiaGoggles.png

FFVI_MOBILE_01.jpg

vs

hqdefault.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’m going to have to go with snes. The new art, animations , lack of certain effects are just too horrible to bare.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

Don't buy the physical version of Final Fantasy Anthology I did when came out it has a glitch that wont allow you to save your game, plus that version has horrible load times.

A decent remake of FF5 and 6 is way overdue

GlitchF5

Neo Member
Don't buy the physical version of Final Fantasy Anthology I did when came out it has a glitch that wont allow you to save your game, plus that version has horrible load times.

A decent remake of FF5 and 6 is way overdue

Can you elaborate on this glitch? I never experienced it and I beat the game on that version. (Physical). It was a long time ago, around original release.

LordRaptor

I prefer a coherent aesthetic over something that looks like someone c+ped some clipart onto a photo.

I'm by far not alone in this.

caffeware

Banned

Take for instance the backdrop cliffs. Look how close they look in the mobile version, simply because the lighting is all wrong.

Now, look at the snow. In mobile is completely white, while in the snes in more blueish. It gives a completely different vibe. Which of the two give a feeling of coldness?

Now, look at the thick outline the characters have in mobile. This doesnt allow the characters to blend propertly with the enviroment.

This may sound like nickpicking, but those details are what makes a game at the end of it.

I don't know, I'm a purist. I think one should experience ff 1-3 on the nes. Specially, the sound is very important in a nes game. You should not tamper with that.

Valcrist0

Neo Member
While I prefer the 16-bit sprites, it is just a preference. I've played through the majority of the game on steam as well. It looks....fine.

If you can play the patched version of the original, that's the best version IMO. The steam version is much easier to get setup though, no issues with picking that version.

Top Bottom