• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 PS1 to FF7 Remake. Closer look at new trailer for fun.

Flyinmunky

Was bit bored so here is a small breakdown of new trailer and some comparisons of enemies etc.

Trailer starts with Aerith.

VfU88zH.png

XS00ggE.png

Here we have Cloud after just jumping off the train. Notice the guards are no longer in Red Uniforms (PS1) and have new design.

lkE4gYm.png

IgrnRqZ.png

Gm8hBbm.png

Not sure on Robot enemy in backround. Either new or a redesign.
nyEzZS3.png

Maybe replacing....
Q2usHwY.png

Want a flower? I always gave it to Tifa :p
3L7Vivg.png

7iixbGf.png

Sewer Boss Aps
yaAuzOL.png

Wub1qTl.jpg

Fighting Sahagin in sewers
epQHrCW.png

77xt7yp.png

This enemy looks like a Sweeper with Blades. Don't think it had Saw Blades version in PS1. Crisis core maybe?
MnIVIMg.png

vKqUmos.png

Not sure on this enemy, going to guess its like a upgraded Grashtrike as they use Silk ability and you can see webs over the walls etc.
wnLKOuk.png

BdU1tIc.png

Of course Scorpion Robot Boss
d8XQa95.png

Cd1UrnR.png

Boom
GlSu5kB.png

mPatTTX.png

Also i don't think Sephiroth is actually there. Looks like the moment before he plants bomb and they have added in a PTSD kinda moment. Guessing Barret will snap him out of it and then fight Scorp boss.

bitbydeath

ps4 is the only announced platform, so take it how u will for now. pretty sure this will be on ps5 too though as a launch title.. so ill be getting this on ps5 😎

If this is still coming in parts then they’d be best skipping PS4 altogether... IMO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I Think it will be a 1 year exclusive.
Unless it's cross gen what would be the point?
Unless they release at the same time I don't see SE bothering when both Next gen consoles are either launching or already out a year after this releases.
Just my opinion.

Saber

Gold Member
The work looks solid. Probably the best part of State of Play(well it would be best even if it wasn't there, really).

Pagusas

Elden Member
The real test will be whether this boy is there:

latest

latest

Also, I prefer the more greener tins in Midgard and mako and lifestream, in the PS1 version. It really fits Midgard.

Honestly based off what we just saw, I can see this working now.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Has Square Enix ever done a cross gen title? My guess is the first episode is PS4, then two and three are PS5. With maybe a remaster of the first one down the line somewhere.

Daymos

I'm not jumping on the 'I hate new stuff!' band wagon, but those rough old polygon images up there make me happy and nostalgic, and the new graphics don't interest me at all.

I guess my biggest worry is about the battle system. I can handle something like a xenoblade chronicles 2 system with partial party control, or dragon age style where you can pause and input commands, but if the system is full on button spamming like Kingdom Hearts.. or even like final fantasy xv (yucK), I may not be playing it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Unless it's cross gen what would be the point?
Unless they release at the same time I don't see SE bothering when both Next gen consoles are either launching or already out a year after this releases.
Just my opinion.

"Unless they release at the same time I don't see SE bothering when both Next gen consoles are either launching or already out a year after this releases." ??? ummmm ooook Did you just forget they JUST ported FFXII, FFX, World Of Final Fantasy etc to Switch and XBONE? So what you are saying....is the publisher known for porting, won't waste time porting? What would be the point? Let me guess um MONEY! That sounds like a great reason to port something.

The publisher has no issue porting as they literally just ported a bunch of games. WHEN they are launching has no relevance to Square, their job has NOTHING to do with the hardware release of the PS5 or Next Box, they do how ever know an install base of gamers would want to see it on PS5 and Nextbox with enhancements and know some might buy it on PS5 if they never owned a PS4.

So same reason they ported FFX to PS3, is the same reason they ported many FFs to PSP, same reason they ported so many to PS3, PS4, PSVita, XBONE, Switch, PC..... So you might not get "the point" but I think you can also just look at their history and get that sorta is something they are known to do often (regardless if you understand it or not, that is irrelevant to factual information regarding how this publisher behaves)

You might question "what would be the point" of FFXIV releasing on PS3 Aug 2013 only to also release on PS4 April 2014. You didn't know the point then and it still happened, FFXI went from PS2 / PC to 360, you didn't get the "point" then so I'm not sure why YOU must get the point for it to happen..... As far as I can tell, they've ported games for generations regardless if TGO understood why

Pallas

Man I’m curious how they will manage the emerald weapon fight...

Assuming they don’t cut the Ruby/Emerald weapon bosses.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
"Unless they release at the same time I don't see SE bothering when both Next gen consoles are either launching or already out a year after this releases." ??? ummmm ooook Did you just forget they JUST ported FFXII, FFX, World Of Final Fantasy etc to Switch and XBONE? So what you are saying....is the publisher known for porting, won't waste time porting? What would be the point? Let me guess um MONEY! That sounds like a great reason to port something.

The publisher has no issue porting as they literally just ported a bunch of games. WHEN they are launching has no relevance to Square, their job has NOTHING to do with the hardware release of the PS5 or Next Box, they do how ever know an install base of gamers would want to see it on PS5 and Nextbox with enhancements and know some might buy it on PS5 if they never owned a PS4.

So same reason they ported FFX to PS3, is the same reason they ported many FFs to PSP, same reason they ported so many to PS3, PS4, PSVita, XBONE, Switch, PC..... So you might not get "the point" but I think you can also just look at their history and get that sorta is something they are known to do often (regardless if you understand it or not, that is irrelevant to factual information regarding how this publisher behaves)

You might question "what would be the point" of FFXIV releasing on PS3 Aug 2013 only to also release on PS4 April 2014. You didn't know the point then and it still happened, FFXI went from PS2 / PC to 360, you didn't get the "point" then so I'm not sure why YOU must get the point for it to happen..... As far as I can tell, they've ported games for generations regardless if TGO understood why
Ya right, this is the SE who has lost the souce code for FFVIII.
And have yet to release their last gen mainline FF.

stickkidsam

Man I’m curious how they will manage the emerald weapon fight...

Assuming they don’t cut the Ruby/Emerald weapon bosses.
Not a chance in hell that they'd do that.

I'm more worried that they'll make them mandatory fights. Part of the fun of old games was discovering secrets because the devs were allowed to put in that extra effort. Admittedly, development was very different back then in scale.

stickkidsam

I liked the discoloration and slim look of the original Cloud design. It really spoke to what terrible shape he was in prior to the start of the game.

I think what would've been cool is if as the game progressed, he looked more and more like the new version we see. You don't get to see that kind of stuff in games very often.

Esppiral

Something tells me that most of what we've seen is prerrendered, that Aeris ear has more polys than all this generation of games toghether.

VfU88zH.png

NahaNago

That beginning location felt more nostalgic in the original trailer. I really wish we had got to see what Tifa was suppose to look like. I can't really decide which version I like best. It looked far more realistic in the original version especially the material for the armor and clothing. That one street battle looked really nice in the original. It feels like they have gone for a far less realistic version this time around.

Pallas

Not a chance in hell that they'd do that.

I'm more worried that they'll make them mandatory fights. Part of the fun of old games was discovering secrets because the devs were allowed to put in that extra effort. Admittedly, development was very different back then in scale.

Which case they would nerf them if it’s a mandatory battle :(

stickkidsam

Which case they would nerf them if it’s a mandatory battle :(
I'm feeling dis pear just thinking about it... it feels squishy...

I really want to see a boss battle that tests all of the skills that we've been developing. Fighting a weapon should be up there with fighting Sepiroth (i.e. blasting my ass).

Top Bottom