• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
Not weird at all, I love the original too maybe they could combine them in a way where it's simplistic but not too grand at the same time.

More than likely they are going to remaster the entire soundtrack to what degree is anyone's guess.
That would be great if they could match both to make it fresh but the emotions of the original.
I'm really upset that they seemed to modify Aeris' personality into a stereotypical one when the whole point was that her looks was supposed to be completely different from her actual personality.

I don't know if it's just me that seems to think this way.

Nope I feel the same. Aeris is a character who is confident and forward, a lot different from how her design is percieved. It's a contrast to Tifa who is shy and quiet about her emotions.

The Aeris in CC felt so boring and just someone to be Zacks forced romance. I mean ignoring the obnoxious scenes of Zack doing things Cloud did, the giving her the ribbon and her clothing now suddenly representing Zack was just blegh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Aerith in CC is what, 17? She is 22 in FFVII. Plenty of time to grow and change as a character.

Five years is a lot of time, especially when you're going from child -> adult.

ANY CHANGE TO THE STORY OR MINIGAMES IS A BAD THING

ANY

I can deal with a different battle system and extra content but any changes to the story, characters personalities, or minigames is pure garbage

You can't really think that the minigames couldn't be improved on. They can all be expanded upon and tweaked for the better.

The fact that they knew to address the original game's weirdness right off the bat gives me faith that they won't disappoint in those regards.

Well that depends.

I really don't want to put too much faith in this even though I know they understand how important this is, frankly I don't envy them. Tackling a beloved game like this years later and trying to do it justice....that's a challenge.

It has to be all new, but the same. It has to be modern, but classic. Too many people want and expect different things.

I just want certain moments to be left in tact. Barret vs Dyne better still be there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nomura wouldn't want to be a slave to a game he didn't even direct 20 years ago. Be realistic. This is going to be his game so there will be changes.

Slair

I welcome this. I like turn based RPG but i prefer action-rpg, pls let it be action-rpg (that's right, come at me)

hold-me-back-bro-o.gif

Bearpowers

Neo Member
You can't really think that the minigames couldn't be improved on. They can all be expanded upon and tweaked for the better.

I'm fine with that, but I'll be so salty if they so much as remove 1 of them.

The minigames were an AMAZING part of FF7, I greatly enjoyed all of them.

Wazzy

Banned
The Aerith in CC is what, 17? She is 22 in FFVII. Plenty of time to grow and change as a character.

Five years is a lot of time, especially when you're going from child -> adult.

Sure but that doesn't excuse her personality being boring in CC, especially when there's a romantic interest far more interesting in the game.

I'm fine with that, but I'll be so salty if they so much as remove 1 of them.

The minigames were an AMAZING part of FF7, I greatly enjoyed all of them.

I completely agree that they should include them all. Great variety in Gold Saucer alone. Wonder if the Fort Condor stuff will be anything like the original though.

Yeah that was obvious, but they also use the same language in Advent Children and in turn FF7 games in general. Things like Reunion multiple times reminded me more of AC story points than anything else. Or does anyone think they are just going to flat out ignore all the stuff they added on to the FF7 universe post ps1? I think we all know that ain't happening.

The Reunion is an important plot point in the original game, too.

yami4ct

I disagree, especially when the change is by modern SE.

A 1/1 copy of the game with a new coat of paint and maybe some extras is ideal.

If that's your complete attitude, this game probably isn't for you. In order to succeed, the game will certainly have to appeal beyond the FF7 nostalgia. The hardcore fanbase will be major boon, but it won't be enough.

ANY

I can deal with a different battle system and extra content but any changes to the story, characters personalities, or minigames is pure garbage
i want mog's house to be a really intense first person shooter

in all seriousness, though, I'm curious to see how they handle the snowboarding thing. Snowboarding was kind of at its peak of being a thing that was thought of as Cool in the late '90s and now it's just, like, a thing people do. motorcycles are still definitely for cool people though, so that minigame will be fine.

Hopefully the overworld is to scale like in FFXV

I almost can't imagine how they could do it. XV looks to be a continent, but 7 is a whole planet (w/ the ocean and sky open to travel, too).

I wouldn't mind a big, semi-stylized world-map.

Also, thinking of the world map, I was about to go listen to the theme on Youtube when I realized I don't need to. I can conjure it, in perfect detail, at will, in my mind's ear. Beautiful.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sure but that doesn't excuse her personality being boring in CC, especially when there's a romantic interest far more interesting in the game.
I definitely agree. But at the same time, I think it's an interesting way to portray the way she is in FFVII. She spent all that time waiting for Zack, being pestered by The Turks, experiencing the slums... so she became a stronger, more straightforward person because of it.

Reveirg

ANY

Enjoy the port then.

There's really no point in fully remaking it and keeping everything the same.

Is this a timed exclusive or permanent exclusive? Only own a Xbone currently and can't afford a PS4 since I'm saving for school.

These posts should answer your question

Sony is helping funding this.

Sony is throwing a lot of money around Japan. Look at Nier 2, Star Ocean 5, Street Fighter 5, Shenmue 3, World of FF, etc etc. They want Japan to stay relevant on consoles.

Yes, it's going to keep happening too so people should get used to it because otherwise these games would not be happening.

SE's other Japanese announcements at E3 this year should have been clear where their direction is heading.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can't wait for realtime action RPG FF7. Ain't like the original is going anywhere so why should the remake have to be constrained by the old battle system?

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Can't wait for realtime action RPG FF7. Ain't like the original is going anywhere so why should the remake have to be constrained by the old battle system?

I'd prefer turn based but anything else won't kill me.

Making the game super serious and less offensive to todays crowd would kill me.

Pinky

Banned
I'd like to see them flesh out the endgame and ending. If I remember correctly, Square had to rush the game, towards the end of development, in order to release on time and, as a result, there were some elements left out. I think I read about this in an issue of Game Fan.

I almost can't imagine how they could do it. XV looks to be a continent, but 7 is a whole planet (w/ the ocean and sky open to travel, too).

Also, thinking of the world map, I was about to go listen to the theme on Youtube when I realized I don't need to. I can conjure it, in perfect detail, at will, in my mind's ear. Beautiful.

The FFXV map is looking pretty dang big too though. It might not be be a whole planet in the sense that you can walk around it, but as for the ground you cover i'm feeling like it wouldn't be that far off.

Gaffi

Yeah it'll be really interesting to see how FFXV actually holds up in terms of scale especially with an airship and such. It would be cool to actually feel the scale of the Midgar Zolum underneath you though in the Marsh. Legit terrifying if they can get the scale right. Same with the weapons.

RPGCrazied

I really don't care what they change. I hope its turn based, but if not I'll get over it. The one thing I don't want to see changed is
Aeris's death. It would drastically change the tone of the game for me. That part was super sad and at the time first time playing, made me even cry. If she ends up living would just feel weird.

I'm sure I'm one of the few though that feels this way.

It says "First" on PS4. My bet is it comes to PS4 and we get a PC port like maybe 6 months to a year later. If I had to guess, we won't get a Xbox One version.
I've seen a lot of people guessing it's not coming to Xbox One, I just don't know why. FFXV is coming to Xbox One, isn't it?
I wouldn't wait for the Xbox One version of the game anyways because it's going to come months later and I also expect it to be technically inferior, but I don't know why people think it's not coming to Xbox.

Two Words

What is the name of the dog that they play in the reveal trailer? Not the one that is the opening theme song to Midgar, I mean the first music with the Jaws violin and piano.

A little help here, guys. I swear I've heard this music in FFVII, but I cannot find the song.

The FFXV map is looking pretty dang big too though. It might not be be a whole planet in the sense that you can walk around it, but as for the ground you cover i'm feeling like it wouldn't be that far off.

I've been following XV pretty closely, and yeah, it does look huge. But if you remove the abstraction of the scaled world map, 7 should still be way bigger.

I guess my hangup is that the biggest open world games to date still don't come close to actually feeling like a whole planet in the way that old jrpg world maps allowed.

A little help here, guys. I swear I've heard this music in FFVII, but I cannot find the song.

Submarine mission music? Idk

I've been following XV pretty closely, and yeah, it does look huge. But if you remove the abstraction of the scaled world map, 7 should still be way bigger.

I guess my hangup is that the biggest open world games to date still don't come close to actually feeling like a whole planet in the way that old jrpg world maps allowed.

Well I'd be good with a stylistically scaled version if necessary.

I'll admit it, I would like it to be an action-RPG. turn based don't get me involved enough and its already tough as is playing RPG's on consoles now-a-days.

I think something between X-2 (Which I've just only recently started playing, holy shit this battle system) and XIII would be a great middle ground. It'd be a lot quicker and snappier than the original without completely abandoning it's ATB roots.

I'm not opposed to action RPGs (I'm actually really glad to see XV experimenting with it), but I'd kinda feel like making this a full on ARPG just for the sake of newness would be kinda off putting.

Its hard to put into words so instead ill just link this website I made for it back when the game came out. I haven't touched it since I was a kid and have no idea how its lasted this long but yea, this game kind of meant a lot at the time. My friends still punch it up once in a while to see if it still exists and to laugh at me but its all in good fun.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/FinalF7/

Holy shit dude, this is amazing. It really takes me back to all those terrible colors schemes and broken links because you don't really know what the fuck you're doing.

Ah man, makes me think of all the time I used to spend on alt.games.final-fantasy back when VII came out.

Its hard to put into words so instead ill just link this website I made for it back when the game came out. I haven't touched it since I was a kid and have no idea how its lasted this long but yea, this game kind of meant a lot at the time. My friends still punch it up once in a while to see if it still exists and to laugh at me but its all in good fun.

Mid 90's internet was the best.

NeoXChaos

The excitement over a remake is surreal. No way near the same level for XV. What gives? Why is VII so popular? What has it done that all the others before and after havent done? Why is Cloud and Aerith(aeris) better than Lightning and Hope or Squall and Rinoa or Titus and Yuna?

Yeah it'll be really interesting to see how FFXV actually holds up in terms of scale especially with an airship and such. It would be cool to actually feel the scale of the Midgar Zolum underneath you though in the Marsh. Legit terrifying if they can get the scale right. Same with the weapons.

Omg, yes. And after seeing Ramuh in XV Duscae, I believe they can do it.

I think something between X-2 (Which I've just only recently started playing, holy shit this battle system) and XIII would be a great middle ground. It'd be a lot quicker and snappier than the original without completely abandoning it's ATB roots.

Yes and yes. X-2's battle system is the bees knees, and I think more folks would know that if they hadn't been (understandably) turned away by the opening musical number.

yami4ct

Something that has the living, frenetic feel of the XIII system with a bit more control over individual characters would be perfect. That game always felt so active. I liked the sort of play-calling system for that game, but would like something a bit more control oriented here.

The excitement over a remake is surreal. No way near the same level for XV. What gives? Why is VII so popular? What has it done that all the others before and after havent done? Why is Cloud and Aerith(aeris) better than Lightning and Hope or Squall and Rinoa or Titus and Yuna?

It hit many people at the right time they were most impressionable for games. It was a graphical powerhouse and showcase back in its day in a way FF games since haven't been (mostly because of the switch to 3D). I personally don't love it, but I can see why people caught up in the era would.

Gaffi

I really don't care what they change. I hope its turn based, but if not I'll get over it. The one thing I don't want to see changed is
Aeris's death. It would drastically change the tone of the game for me. That part was super sad and at the time first time playing, made me even cry. If she ends up living would just feel weird.

I'm sure I'm one of the few though that feels this way.

Nah I'm right there with you, I'm actually suprised that anyone would even want that part of the plot changed. Yes it's sad and you want what you can't have but that's life. I have always felt like that moment was the core and turning point of the entire game/story. If they change anything about that part then they're going too far in my opinion.

You had to be there.

Breakage

Lol. I remember downloading that wallpaper of Cloud standing over Tifa just after getting an internet connection at home for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom