• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Here are kids playing swords and look at that! Buster Swords must be a common design.

They're obviously playing "SOLDIER".

Shades of Cloud's childhood.

I wonder if kids of the modern era still idolize Sephiroth? Maybe Shinra has played down his cult since the incident....

In a way, much of the interiors of VII were just hallways. Think of most of the pathways through Midgar or, say, the path from Costa del Sol to Corel.

You know, that's absolutely true. Perhaps it's just the perception of how they executed it between them, like moving around a prerendered background felt less claustrophobic than running forward through a shifting corridor.

JCreasy

Real question: Just how difficult can development turnaround be for the FF7 remake? Real talk. Not being glib at all.

They'll have a mature new gen engine following the release of FFXV. They won't be building the engine as they make the game, as has happened in the past.

The entire scope of the game is already mapped out in terms of characters, story, world map, etc.

A lot of the main assets were designed when Nomura did Advent Children. They can res those down and go from there. Bahamut, the airship, main cast, etc. There's no need to reinvent much. I'm sure the concept art already exist for everything else. There's plenty they'll be able to repurpose from XV, as they both share that modern world aesthetic.

I feel like a substantial amount of the game is pretty much done for them, or more or less conceived. It's a a remake. No need to do a lot of research. All they really need to do is execute and hit their milestone in a timely manner.

Not withstanding the completion of XV and Kingdom Hearts III, at this point, why should this game take longer than a year and a half to finish?

BocoDragon

Here's clearly CLEARLY the biggest design change so far -- (I'm assuming Shinra soldiers):

My guess is that this is the scene where the Shinra team tries to bring down the plate and blame it on Avalanche.

I think it will be interesting to see more clearly how the media in VII frames Avalanche as the enemy of the people.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I wonder if kids of the modern era still idolize Sephiroth? Maybe Shinra has played down his cult since the incident....

Oh yeah, good point.

My guess is that this is the scene where the Shinra team tries to bring down the plate and blame it on Avalanche.

I think it will be interesting to see more clearly how the media in VII frames Avalanche as the enemy of the people.

Definitely. I was trying to see if I might catch a patch or something on their uni that might identify them. Worth noting that a split second after, a helicopter with a big spot light hovers overhead. So you're probably right.

I think the entire AVALANCHE framing, both in VII's world and the meta conversation around putting users in place of terrorists, will be really interesting in a post 9/11 world.

wmlk

Crisis Core made Sephiroth feel like a celebrity. I just hope they add that but also keep the mystery and intrigue from vanilla FFVII.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Or what FOX News makes of this popular new terrorism simulator where you blow up power plants because of your radical leftist hippie agenda

That's another way of putting it.

I mean, watch this trailer again. Look at that playground. They're really, really trying to show you the cost of pollution. I think it's fair to say it has an agenda (with which all sane people agree, obv).

BocoDragon

Or what FOX News makes of this popular new terrorism simulator where you blow up power plants because of your radical leftist hippie agenda

Not worried. :) The media was maybe more hostile to video games in the late 90s than they are today. Doom = murder simulation and Pokemon teaches evolution lol.

Terrorism is obviously a bigger agenda post-9/11.... but in VII Barrett comes to regret his violent methods anyway.

Crisis Core made Sephiroth feel like a celebrity. I just hope they add that but also keep the mystery and intrigue from vanilla FFVII.

I'd say he was a celebrity in the original too. Childhood Cloud idolized him.

But I wonder how he was portrayed after the JENOVA incident. I can't remember the details from the original game. He just faded from view? Something like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So will we mark spoilers when the OT comes?

Fuck, just the thought of even typing in the OT is making my stomach cramp...

Ishida

Banned
Ok let's break it down.

Subways will probably be important:

If this were an actual Hollywood movie, the guy behind the glass here on the left is the one to watch:

Daytime Midgar is splendid and busy and beeeeautiful:

Note street sign: Center Gate 6 | Kalm 51 | Junon 133

You can see those mileages again here, along with a big ad for Valentina (maybe a nod to Valentine?):

Note the same old-timey cars from the original

Here's a playground in a polluted Midgar hell:

Again note the subway/train.

Here are kids playing swords and look at that! Buster Swords must be a common design.

Raining in Midgar slums:

Here's clearly CLEARLY the biggest design change so far -- (I'm assuming Shinra soldiers):

A dumb thing to note, but beards were way out of style back in 1997.

Maaaaaan, I've watched this a dozen times and can't decide if that's a reflection of a statue or of Aeris standing there:

It's probably a statue. But those are definitely her flowers.

This is the Midgar reactor making the rounds today in those comparison shots:

but here's a big version if you want a new wallpaper. sorry about the crops.

Square has always (always) understood the way to establish scale with beauty is with birds.

This very quick pan downward reminded me so much of the Secret of Mana cover art.

Here's our first shot of Barrett's arm cannon, notably slimmer than the old version:

And finally, our hero:

And look, the bolts on the shoulder are back.

I wouldn't look too much into the trailer.

In fact, it seems to be showing several stages in the existence of Midgar, but BACKWARDS.

It begins with the city of Edge, which was built from Midgar's ashes and is the city from Advent Children. The next scene goes back in time to Meterorfall and the release of the Lifestream (The scene with the kids playing). Then it goes back in time again to when Midgar was still standing and thriving. And finally into the slums with Barret and Cloud.

Analyse it that way. The scenes keep going backwards in time to the point of the events of the original.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So will we mark spoilers when the OT comes?

Fuck, just the thought of even typing in the OT is making my stomach cramp...
I definitely, absolutely, positively lay claim to at least collaborating with whoever makes that OT. I will post thread resumes if I must.

To answer your question - because parts of the story will be changed, spoilers will probably still have to be marked.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cloud, Barret, Yuffie

How one could not be completely mind blown over how awesome Yuffie is beyond me

Yuffie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aeris >>>>>>>>>>>> Tifa

She's cute, she has a (sick) sense of humor, she's got charisma

She's got it all, unlike the trash that is Tifa.

edit: can't believe I'm having a discussion like it's 1997 :D SO AWESOME!
She's bratty and annoying, and she steals your stuff.

But you know what... I agree, somewhat. I still like her better than Tifa or Aeris, because at least she's got a personality. Tifa and Aeris are really goddamn bland. :D

Gxgear

If this were an actual Hollywood movie, the guy behind the glass here on the left is the one to watch:

FF7R-2-SUBWAY-PLATFORM.jpg

Biggs and Jessie.

I hope they do the music right I. This game. I hope t still maintains some of its MIDI feel to it and isn't totally modern versions of the originals.

More than anything else, the music is what I want to remain somewhat the same.

Dat Cosmo Canyon

Dat Red XIII finding out his father was a hero who sacrificed himself instead of the coward that he had thought he was his entire life. *mantears*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T3srk8Dkuo

BocoDragon

In fact, it seems to be showing several stages in the existence of Midgar, but BACKWARDS.

It begins with the city of Edge, which was built from Midgar's ashes and is the city from Advent Children. The next scene goes back in time to Meterorfall and the release of the Lifestream. Then it goes back in time again to when Midgar was still standing and thriving. And finally into tho slums with Barret and Cloud.

Analyse it that way. The scenes keep going backwards in time to the point of the events of the original.

How do you know that's Edge at the beginning? Midgar doesn't have cranes?

I didn't click to the fact that the kids are looking at Meteor or maybe the lifestream though... cool.

I hope they bump the party member in battle to 4 player like old FF or FF9. 3 player seems so limiting, I hate when I had to pick only 2 member in my team, because 1 is usually reseved for Cloud.

daniels

I hope they wont ad ANYTHING from the insulting crap games/movies like crisis, advent children or dirge :X
Stick with the original and only the original, its the original that changed everything not the crap that came later... that actually just damaged everything...

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

It begins with the city of Edge, which was built from Midgar's ashes and is the city from Advent Children. The next scene goes back in time to Meterorfall and the release of the Lifestream (The scene with the kids playing). Then it goes back in time again to when Midgar was still standing and thriving. And finally into the slums with Barret and Cloud.

It's weird to see you say not to look too much into the trailer and then immediately jump into an completely bizarre reading of a pretty straightforward trailer that starts with a view outside the city and generally works its way down, down, down into the slummiest of slums, where we meet our heroes.

Consider that it starts with clouds (ahem) which are actually columns of pollution (metaphors, people!), then we wind our way through the city from the business district down into the slums, then we flash to Shinra (probably) invading those slums, then we pan further down, down, down into what is clearly a shantytown where Barrett takes Cloud into a bar, presumably where AVALANCHE is headquartered. Pretty simple, I think.

Ishida

Banned
How do you know that's Edge at the beginning? Midgar doesn't have cranes?

I didn't click to the fact that the kids are looking at Meteor or maybe the lifestream though... cool.

I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together. "South Edge" might be as well referring to the south limits of Edge.

Besides, the order of the scenes in the trailer would seem pretty random if they were not going backwards in time.

And yeah, the kids are definitely watching Meteorfall, from the red sky to the green stream reflecting on the girl's eyes.

Besides the backwards progression of the scenes would fit perfectly with the tone of the trailer: going back. Going back to the original game, to the original set of events.

Otherwise inserting the scene of Meteorfall at that particular point in the trailer would seem out of place.

Giever

She's bratty and annoying, and she steals your stuff.

But you know what... I agree, somewhat. I still like her better than Tifa or Aeris, because at least she's got a personality. Tifa and Aeris are really goddamn bland. :D

The fact that she escapes if you let her out of your sight (by entering the menu) means it's difficult for me not to like her.

Nomura wouldn't want to be a slave to a game he didn't even direct 20 years ago. Be realistic. This is going to be his game so there will be changes.

Thank you for this. What if you were given the opportunity to have a second chance at a game you made nearly 20 years ago? Would you be making a point of how to keep it exactly the same? No, it's the opportunity to do things differently that makes it an exciting project for those involved.

What I love about the OST is that so much of the town and environment music is incredibly sweetly, nostalgically sad. This is not a boisterous adventure... it's incredibly melancholy.

I guess it's that Evangelion influence... the spectacle of mid-90s Japanese entertainment wasn't just going for "cool"... it was going for bittersweet introspective emotion amongst the ashes of the spectacle. And I think that's part of the secret sauce of what makes VII so great. If it were just going for a so-cool adventure, it wouldn't have this strange pull over our hearts...

real talk :'(

.JayZii

Banned
I hope they bump the party member in battle to 4 player like old FF or FF9. 3 player seems so limiting, I hate when I had to pick only 2 member in my team, because 1 is usually reseved for Cloud.
Maybe they'll be nice and work in a FFX-style system where you can swap out party members on the fly mid-battle. It could be a good incentive to keeping all the characters specialized, so they could all be useful depending on the situation.

I hate having to level up party members I don't really use and I also don't like having huge level gaps between party members if I choose not to, so maybe I'm just being selfish.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together. "South Edge" might be as well referring to the south limits of Edge.

Besides, the order of the scenes in the trailer would seem pretty random if they were not going backwards in time.

And yeah, the kids are definitely watching Meteorfall, from the red sky to the green stream reflecting on the girl's eyes.

Besides the backwards progression of the scenes would fit perfectly with the tone of the trailer: going back. Going back to the original game, to the original set of events.

Otherwise inserting the scene of Meteorfall at that particular point in the trailer would seem out of place.

OOOHHHH

that actually does make sense.

BocoDragon

I suppose it could have that chronology.

It could just be a collection of Midgar moments from throughout VII. That was probably the Visual Works design challenge that led to this trailer, I would guess.

-Establishing shot of Midgar life - maybe showing before or after a bombing run (Midgar needs lots of these to set the tone of the world)
-Midgar kids watching Meteorfall
-Cloud following Barrett home to the No. 7 slums and Tifa's bar.

wmlk

I wouldn't look too deep into it.

When Nomura makes these initial concept trailers, it really is to look cool and sell everyone on the concept. The KH games' mantra has basically been this with its secret movies.

Oh yeah, Versus XIII is Case A to Z for this.

Honestly guys a fleshed out Junon in HD is kind of making me melt. HD WEAPONs...

They NEED to get the melancholy music right for stuff like Nibelheim/Kalm flashback etc. I assume there'll be lots of remixes of the original Uematsu stuff?? plssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom