• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im so damn excited to see what the world map looks like! I wonder if they'll go the FFXV route and make it very open world?

fertygo

nope. It needs to be the same exact game just graphically upgraded. If they change stuff they risk alienating the nostalgic hardest-hardcore fans, all for what? Some slim HOPE they will bring in some new fans? That's way too big of a gamble on an already guaranteed cash cow, imo.

fans won't be angry with improved form of similar system I think, the issue start if the departure is too much.

Cyborg

I PEE'D MYSELF

S C R E A M I N G

I'm done.

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Aww shit.

holy fuck

MY NIPPLES ARE TINGLING!!!!!!

pack it up folks

I am crying right now.

WWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT

TLG and FF7 Remake in the same fucking conference. I can't even

thepowercompelss9ocg.gif

I love first reactions when the maximum hype levels are released.

Edit: does anyone have the link to the GIF? Where is it from?

xaosslug

What a mature, very well reasoned response.

The game needs to be tweaked. It has too many old conventions that do not hold up in today's world, including no ability to skip cutscenes.

skipping cut scenes is whatever. Whether they add that option or not no one will cry. I'm talking about major things, like changing the battle system... they cannot change the battle system to be like some other particular FF and risk opening the door to fans being all like 'but I like the battle system for THIS FF, why not use that one if you're gonna change it?' the game will already be heavily scrutinized, why add more?! Maybe, they will make it still turn-based but more like FFX's? That seems like a plausible update.

Jarnet87

Legit question, who else thought for at least a split second that they were going to announce a movie? lol

I thought it was another movie, masterful troll move by SE. Square Enix are starting to deliver instead of troll. This is truly a time a to be alive.

I don't think the combat system will change, I do think it might be sped up a bit and presented more cinematically, lots of different camera angles, etc.

Yeah! if we had 17 months in a year maybe they would have enough time to make it!

Exactly!!

But in seriousness I doubt this comes out by 2017, if that is their mark. But there has to be more today at SEs conference

I think they tried for 07/07/07 with Crisis core but missed it by a few months (it was released on September 13 2007)

EDIT: 17/17/17? So the 17th of May 2018?

That actually would be a somewhat reasonable release date for this

Bluenoser

I don't think it will be a small percentage of XB1 owners myself. FFVII is a landmark title.

Especially if they go an Action RPG route, I see it selling pretty big on that platform.

People are acting as FFVII is some niche game like the Atelier series or something.

The numbers show Xbox owners do not buy RPG's. Why should SE continue trying?

FFXIII - 4.95 million on PS3 1.95 Million Xbox 360 6.9 million worldwide
FFXIII-2 - 2.23million PS3, 0.64million Xbox360 2.86 million worldwide
FFXIII - LR - 1.01 Million PS3, 0.23 million Xbox360
FF Type-0 HD - 0.5 PS3, 0.08 XB1 - LOL 80k units on XB1

Just for fun, here's some exclusive content Xbox got, while Sony was given the shaft. BIG mistakes were made last gen, which I'm sure will not be repeated.

Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360 - 890k
Last Remnant - Xbox 360 - 670k
Infinite Undiscovery - Xbox 360 - 670k

Not terrible sales here, but certainly don't justify the development expense, and the exclusive status.

Pretty mindblowing that sony didnt think this announcement deserved a end of show spot or something.

I don't think so in this instance. U4 absolutely deserved the last spot. The gameplay demo was flat out incredible. They new the impact of this would be massive wherever they put it anyway. Putting in the middle would keep those people hyped through stuff like CoD anyway.

xaosslug

after the sales of FFX HD remaster, I can see a remake in the future for that one!

fans won't be angry with improved form of similar system I think, the issue start if the departure is too much.

but for a lot of the DIEhards out there anything is 'too much' LOL

I would be really, really surprised if this game hits the market before 2017. Honestly i don't even believe 2018 will make it. It will haunt us for many years to come.

I can't believe there are people who think it's not only likely but actually desirable for this to play exactly like the original in battle sequences.

RPGCrazied

I would be really, really surprised if this game hits the market before 2017. Honestly i don't even believe 2018 will make it. It will haunt us for many years to come.

Well, if rumors are true. CyberConnect2 is developing, obviously with key members from the first game. If that is true, then it could come out a lot sooner than you think.

Well, if rumors are true. CyberConnect2 is developing, obviously with key members from the first game. If that is true, then it could come out a lot sooner than you think.

I think the only way this hits the rumoured 2017 release date is if it's a very different game. FF7 is HUGE, and they want to remake it in a 2-3 year development cycle? Hmmm...

I'll happily wait 5 years for this game if they want to take the time to perfect it.

Teletraan1

Banned
Play the PC version then.

I'm not waiting 2 years for the same exact game, but prettier.

I want to see story tweaks, plot holes closed, a much better translation, and gameplay/battle tweaks.

I need to skip summon animations. I need to be able to skip cutscenes. I need to have the ability to break the game with Materia.

Do you really think that the PC version even with mods will look as good as this remake might? I seriously doubt it. Sure they should fix some of the niggling things with the game but in no way should they completely alter it. Then it is no longer FFVII it is some other game.

Random ATB battles is not some 1997 thing either. I really wish people would stop saying that. If they alter the battle system in this game in favor of some Kingdom Hearts knockoff then I am out. If I want to play KH there are plenty of games in that series available.

skipping cut scenes is whatever. Whether they add that option or not no one will cry. I'm talking about major things, like changing the battle system... they cannot change the battle system to be like some other particular FF and risk opening the door to fans being all like 'but I like the battle system for THIS FF, why not use that one if you're gonna change it?' the game will already be heavily scrutinized, why add more?! Maybe, they will make it still turn-based but more like FFX's? That seems like a plausible update.

That's not a significant change.

They won't change the battle system to be Action RPG, because the Materia system was built upon the player having full control of the abilities of the characters.

Do you really think that the PC version even with mods will look as good as this remake might? I seriously doubt it. Sure they should fix some of the niggling things with the game but in no way should they completely alter it. Then it is no longer FFVII it is some other game.

Random ATB battles is not some 1997 thing either. I really wish people would stop saying that. If they alter the battle system in this game in favor of some Kingdom Hearts knockoff then I am out. If I want to play KH there are plenty of games in that series available.

Except it's not some other game...

Relax nerds. The game is not going to be an Action RPG.

Eidan

I can't believe there are people who think it's not only likely but actually desirable for this to play exactly like the original in battle sequences.

I wouldn't consider it "desirable" per se, I just wouldn't be disappointed if it did. Really, I'm up for anything. Have your way with me, S-E.

Holy crap. If anyone is developing this it should definitely be them. Their work on .hack GU (and the original I guess) is phenomenal

kharak

Neo Member
People need to assumed that FF7r is the first game announced for PS5 and it will become at same point after 2020.

Bluenoser

I think the only way this hits the rumoured 2017 release date is if it's a very different game. FF7 is HUGE, and they want to remake it in a 2-3 year development cycle? Hmmm...

I'll happily wait 5 years for this game if they want to take the time to perfect it.

It's not really that big. Compare it to Skyrim or Velen/Novigrad and it looks tiny. The fact that they don't have to design it or come up with a plot, or battle mechanics, or script is a huge advantage. Sure they will have to refine things, which will take the bulk of the time but this doesn't have to be in development longer than 2 years. It depends on how serious they are about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom