• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

I think the only way this hits the rumoured 2017 release date is if it's a very different game. FF7 is HUGE, and they want to remake it in a 2-3 year development cycle? Hmmm...

I'll happily wait 5 years for this game if they want to take the time to perfect it.

Also having to take into account that it's a remake, the character designs, world, story etc. already exist.

Not only that but 'next gen' versions of said things already exist via Advent Children etc. as well. So they don't have to waste time on re-imagining either.

So really, they mostly have to focus on actually just making the game.

It's not really that big. Compare it to Skyrim or Velen/Novigrad and it looks tiny. The fact that they don't have to design it or come up with a plot, or battle mechanics, or script is a huge advantage. Sure they will have to refine things, which will take the bulk of the time but this doesn't have to be in development longer than 2 years. It depends on how serious they are about it.

Presumably, SE should have a Design Doc of FF7 already completed and stowed away.

It would be so foolish of them not to.

Teletraan1

Banned
That's not a significant change.

They won't change the battle system to be Action RPG, because the Materia system was built upon the player having full control of the abilities of the characters.

Except it's not some other game...

Relax nerds. The game is not going to be an Action RPG.

If they change the fundamental gameplay. Yes it is another game with a FFVII skin.

Take a hike with the nerd shit too. Unnecessary.

RPGCrazied

Probably won't be able to last until this comes out. I'm going to replay the original game now and watch some Advent Children. :p The hype levels is killing me. lol

Caja 117

This has been the greatest news form E3 so far and I doubt that anything else is going to top that for me, the memeories.

I really dont mind any change on the encounters, story or gameplay, But I only beg that they leave intact the option of controlling every character in your party, as the past couple of Final Fantasies I played you only have control of the party leader while every action of the other party members is mostly the AI.

Blobbers

Final Fantasy is one of the best games I've ever played, even though I didn't play it until more than 10 years after release.

I didn't see anyone really mention this itt, but I can't wait to see how they redesign the menu screen. FFX HD was so clean and slick compared to the PS2 version. I wanna hear a satisfying sound when I put a materia in its socket, I want new character pictures, hoping for every weapon to have a cute little icon in the equipment screen and a big flat icon with the materia sockets.

God, this game could end up being my best gaming experience ever. I hope Nomura knocks it out of the park. Can't wait for early 2217.

AgeEighty

I can't believe there are people who think it's not only likely but actually desirable for this to play exactly like the original in battle sequences.

It doesn't need to play exactly like the original. It can be streamlined, sped up, better balanced.

But action RPG combat? Get right the fuck out of here with that shit. People bitch about how Final Fantasy has gone downhill since the PSOne days, but then they want remakes of those games to use the shitty combat from the new games? No.

No.

Keep it away from FFVII. Keep turns.

i will never leave that place

51519.jpg

Shin

Banned
Guys 2017 is the 20th anniversary

It makes sense

They sort of have all the assets to save time as well, I mean the story is done (unless it's changed up, maybe minor translation correction here and there).
I could see a 2017/2018 happening to be honest, not like they have do redo everything from scratch (development wise, they have a lot they can use from the get go).

Seanspeed

Banned
Wow. People really like FF7.
The game was mind blowing when it came out and the gameplay still holds up very well. Its early 3D graphics are super primitive by today's standards and a bit ugly though, so yea, remaking it is a bit of a dream come true as a simple remaster wouldn't be nearly enough.

This game got me into jRPGS, been playing them ever since. So many fond memories.

I got this game and Baldurs Gate for my 12th birthday. Together they basically made me a gamer.

Nostalgia will be through the roof
I'm still going to get the ps4 port of the original to play as well. I will get platinum for both!

Damn. Waking up to see this is happening is quite something.

I just hope they don't keep postponing the release date. Sure, now we know it's real but don't make us suffer any longer and give it to us by 2018.

Mendax

It's a little bit weird to see so many duplicate NPCs in a short trailer like this. The guy I circled in red shows up 3 times in 30 seconds.

hahaha what kind of eyes do you have? x-men

Damn. Waking up to see this is happening is quite something.

I just hope they don't keep postponing the release date. Sure, now we know it's real but don't make us suffer any longer and give it to us by 2018.

well they got the engine, the story, the characters, the locations already settled so they should be able to just make the game this time. (as opposed to vs13/15)

Forkball

I AM HYPED

Hopefully they can duplicate the atmosphere of FFVII. A lot of people make fun of the boxy characters, but I felt like they had a lot of charm and the prerendered areas were amazing to look at. And let's keep some of the uh, expanded universe elements out of it.

XNarte

Obviously we have nostalgia for the original and that is fueling most of our excitement, but I just really love the sort of "in between" nature of the setting, having elements of pure fantasy settings of the older Final Fantasy titles but also having the modern touches like guns, cities, highways, etc. and they don't go too far into sci-fi versions of those things like later titles. (For instance, the motorcycle from FFVII feels like a motorcycle, not a hyper designed Shiva cycle like in FFXIII.)

It really is just such a unique sweet spot for the series. I can't wait to see what they do with it in the remake.

Very nice. But one wonders if there will be a way to
revive
her in the Remake (if there's not, people will probably still be trying, 10 years down the line).

This would ruin the game.

That's a major story change I'm not going to be happy about if they change it.

Teletraan1

Banned
It doesn't need to play exactly like the original. It can be streamlined, sped up, better balanced.

But action RPG combat? Get right the fuck out of here with that shit. People bitch about how Final Fantasy has gone downhill since the PSOne days, but then they want remakes of those games to use the shitty combat from the new games? No.

No.

Nope it should use Type-0 combat because it was so great. /s
Or maybe only let me control 1-2 characters inputs so I can lament how boring ATB is. If anything they should make a hard mode version of the game for advanced players. I think the problem with ATB stems from the overall difficulty of the games. They are piss easy. You can mash X or O and win. It only shines when the game gets hard.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Guys, I don't know what to do with this information. I don't...I can't...I feel like a kid again. I'm excited, I'm scared. I want more info!

rambis

Banned
Wow. People really like FF7.
Its one of the first games I played that felt "alive". Along with MSG. They tricked me into thinking the games were much larger and complex than they actually were.

I would love a remake but I doubt they can beat that same impact it had on a much younger me.

Wait, are people really expecting this to be on X1? There's no way. Here's what I'm very sure happened.

-PSX: Square gives people what they think they want. "FF7 PC version coming to PS4!"
-People riot.
-Sony gets nervous, knows they fucked up.
-Sony goes to Square and says, "We'll help fund this project."
-E3 Remake announcement.

I'm sure this is what happened, so PS4 and PC only.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wasn't there a rumour that the original plan was to include a way to save you know who, but time constraints prevented it?

If true, think they might include it?

Bishop89

someone call japan to see if they are alright.

have we heard anything about the news in japan, they going crazy over it or they too busy playing puzzle & dragons?

No.

Every battle system SE has done since dumping the old ATB has been better. Basically, as long as they use anything *BUT* the same system, it'd be an improvement, IMO.

li bur

Hmm yeah, Battle system could be very tricky. Will they opt for new battle system and make it accessible to the younger gen (at the risk of angering the existing fanbase) or stick with atb and alienating the younger gen. Let's face it, atb is a bit slow and might not bode well with younger people.

Ferr986

Wait, are people really expecting this to be on X1? There's no way. Here's what I'm very sure happened.

-PSX: Square gives people what they think they want. "FF7 PC version coming to PS4!"
-People riot.
-Sony gets nervous, knows they fucked up.
-Sony goes to Square and says, "We'll help fund this project."
-E3 Remake announcement.

I'm sure this is what happened, so PS4 and PC only.

Didn't Verendus has been teasing this for years?
I don't think the idea of the remake happened in mere months. It's true that the PC port announcement was weird though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom