• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they using the dreadlocks Barret in this? Really like that version.

Ffviiac-barret.jpg

Also hoping they don't take playable characters out of the roster for this game since its a remake.

His design in FFVII G-Bike is really good.

VlFP61d.png

I hope he looks like this.

Paltheos

Yep.

You people are lunatics if you want FFVII to be anything other than turn-based. If anything they'll probably get rid of battle transition screens, and have the fights occur in real time (think Chrono Trigger) but that's about it.

The difference in design is pretty significant though. I haven't heard anyone talk about this, but for the old turn-based system with battle transitions SE can just reuse the level design of the original game when making the game world. Without battle transitions this isn't possible - Many of the places you travel in the game are too narrow for an entire party, let alone enemies wandering about (should Square go that route). Allot of the levels would need to be reimagined to fit everything, and I'm afraid of how much the game might lose by surrendering all that tight space.

Part of the attraction of the game world I think is how real allot of the locales feel. Artificially widening them could end... really badly, if competent artists and level designers aren't in the lead. I can see it now: Unnecessarily wide walkways and scaffolding everywhere.

Kieli

I'm debating getting this game for PS4 or PC.

PS4 because I want to play it ASAP. PC for best experience and eternal library (I'm assuming STEAM won't collapse for at least a decade).

gwarm01

I would hope that the remake remains true to the original game. The other Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest remakes kept the basic gameplay style in tact while improving the graphics, and I'd like to see that here.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wonder if they're going to keep Cait Sith in the remake. It would look a little silly with that realistic style they're going for.

graffix13

I mean, the game was originally turn-based, there is zero reason to change that in the remake.

Agree.

If they change the combat, they have pretty much changed the game. May as well call it "Final Fantasy VII Revisioned" or something along those lines.

Paltheos

Are we really having a debate about whether to keep the turn-based combat or not? Some people are out of their goddamn minds.

In case I wasn't clear, I have no preference one way or the other (I haven't decided) - Just waxing over the ramifications of changing the style.

Whoa... I need to replay this game. I'm worried that because the PC port is coming to the ps4 that this remake will be totally different in terms of how it plays etc.

Huggers

PS4 first.

However some suggest that its a similar situation to SFV where it'll be Sony console exclusive because they basically pay for it.

Just feel like they would have used the term 'console exclusive' if they could have done.

Anyway, action or turn based? I really don't mind. Just want to see what they come up with

I want Barret to look like this...

barrett1-jpg.jpg

...as much as the more realistic looking art style and proportions will possibly grant. I always loved that design, not the shitty Advent Children look that may as well have been somebody completely different.

AgeEighty

Joke post? He looks perfect there and just stylized enough.

No, not a joke post. A different-opinion-than-yours post. The difference is not subtle.

He doesn't look stylized at all, especially not compared with his classic look, which I prefer. Keep in mind, this is still a game in which cactuars and tonberries exist, in which one of the party members is a cat riding a giant moogle. It has to keep at least some level of the traditional Final Fantasy quirky and cartoonish look.

barrett1-jpg.jpg

...as much as the more realistic looking art style and proportions will grant. I always loved that design, not the shitty Advent Children look that may as well have been somebody completely different.

Yes. This.

Dr. Buni

I wonder if they're going to keep Cait Sith in the remake. It would look a little silly with that realistic style they're going for.
Why remove Cait Sith? Which brings the point... I still don't get the hate he always got from the fandom.

Eh. I prefer his more stylized look. He should still be a huge, burly man. He just looks too thin there.

I think he should be 'country.' He's a coal miner from a poor mountain town. Giving him a more humble, working-class style fits his character better. Maybe even a South-Appalachian accent, but we know that won't happen. People won't understand and somehow get pissed off he's not 'cool' or maybe misunderstand what that characterization represents.

Wazzy

Banned

barrett1-jpg.jpg

...as much as the more realistic looking art style and proportions will possibly grant. I always loved that design, not the shitty Advent Children look that may as well have been somebody completely different.
Yup.

Characters like Vincent, Sephiroth, and Cloud did not translate well to the realism style. It's what's making me apprehensive about the remake using that style. Hopefully they can fix up the designs to make them look more accurate to the originals.

At the S-E show Hashimoto only mentioned PS4, as well.
It's was also the only logo in the 'more info this winter' screen.

TGS is considered Fall/Autumn, yes? So maybe a Jump Festa, PSX, or random Famitsu info drop?
Gah! o_O

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I want a more cartoony classic-FF style too, I can't stand modern pseudo-realistic Nomura styles. But I think that other Barret design is just fine. Cartoony but not that over-the-top with fists and boots bigger than his head. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom