• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orcastar

What is it gonna be then, pray tell? Half Life 3?

An attempt to adapt the same story and basic premise to modern sensibilities, which, judging by SE's output over the last decade or so, is doomed to fail miserably.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course, but I'm not going to set myself up for what is most likely going to be a massive disappointment.

ZangBa

I want the gameplay to be classic ATB style just like the original. Rebalancing, animation skips or speeding up, item placement changes and minor tweaks are all completely fine with me as long as the core gameplay remains in tact. I want FFVII to be FFVII damnit.

They better keep all the silly scenes intact, too. Who cares how stupid they might be now, HD bathtub fun with Arnold and the boys ALL DAY. Vincent and Yuffie should join the party as part of the story now, though.

As far as the lore from Crisis Core, ugh, man, I don't know. I want it to be consistent, so I guess there wouldn't be too much harm in Genesis appearing in the mako reactor and never seeing him again? I don't remember much else that would really need to be referenced from CC. The flashback scene at the mansion near the end of the game could take care of all the cool Zack moments.

And please bring Nobuo Uematsu back to redo all the music.

fedexpeon

Banned
Nope. I want an exact remake. Combat is still fine.

You don't see anyone complaining about Wasteland 2 or Stick of Truth or Xcom.

XCOM/WL2 aren't the same because it is a tactical/SRPG genre, you can't really change the speed of battle when you are thinking about where to position and when to attack or cover.

SoT, I never play it firsthand but man it is fast due to the limited skill resources and HP pool.

For FF7, I tried to play the PC version and wow, I forgot how slow it was.
A modern remake would need to be faster if they want to sell the game to the mainstream non-JRPG fans. And FF13 combat system is the closest and fastest ATB SE can use without breaking what made FF7 overall combat system so good, abusing the materia system.

Yui

fdgsdfgsdfgdsfgdsfggok0y.gif

Fou-Lu

Say what you will about Square, but I can't think of a time I was disappointed by a Square remake or remaster, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

fertygo

I wouldn't mind new composer tbh, bet there will be outrage tho.. but I think for all the fault newer entry had, music direction never really took steep dive.

ff5 and 6 still hold up because of their pixel aesthetic. a remake for 7 is far more necessary.

and i feel that they showed it this year early to fill time for playstation's conference, thus a trailer is all we get. it's still many years off

They could still stand to get updated gameplay wise.

kurahador

I hope this remake is being made using UE4 like Kingdom Hearts 3. Otherwise, I doubt we'll see it getting release until after at least 5 years.

Nomura!!

I don't think there's a chance in hell Square puts out a slow paced turn based AAA console game in 2017/18. It'a going to get "actioned" up.

XCOM/WL2 aren't the same because it is a tactical/SRPG genre, you can't really change the speed of battle when you are thinking about where to position and when to attack or cover.

SoT, I never play it firsthand but man it is fast due to the limited skill resources and HP pool.

For FF7, I tried to play the PC version and wow, I forgot how slow it was.
A modern remake would need to be faster if they want to sell the game to the mainstream non-JRPG fans. And FF13 combat system is the closest and fastest ATB SE can use without breaking what made FF7 overall combat system so good, abusing the materia system.

They're turn based. That's all there is to it.

Turn based combat is just fine. Grandia didn't kill all Turn Based JRPGs now did it.

I hope you guys asking for an ARPG understand what you'll be getting: one controllable character at a time (Cloud) with sidekicks that fight their own way. Tifa goes in for auto-combo, Barret hangs back for rapid fire. Aeris heal, RedXIII charges in, Vincent takes single, mid-high dmg shots, etc. And all you control is Cloud. Similar system to KHII with hotlinking and psuedo-gambits. That is NOT what I want. I want a REMAKE, with tweaks and a few added bells and whistles. If they can do both, great. But if they can't, the only way to proceed is to stick to the original. Get a PC to mod it if you need an ARPG FFVII fix. Or play XV or KHIII. Do not fuck with FFVII's combat system. Its perfect as it is, micromanaging each member's attacks and materia, split-second heals and party wipes. Its FFVII, let it keep its full identity.

fertygo

I don't think there's a chance in hell Square puts out a slow paced turn based AAA console game in 2017/18. It'a going to get "actioned" up.

Turn-based can be fast too, shit I think there's a lot potential to can made it "cinematic" and probably a lot easier to do it than in action game.

I hope you guys asking for an ARPG understand what you'll be getting: one controllable character at a time (Cloud) with sidekicks that fight their own way. Tifa goes in for auto-combo, Barret hangs back for rapid fire. Aeris heal, RedXIII charges in, Vincent takes single, mid-high dmg shots, etc. And all you control is Cloud. Similar system to KHII with hotlinking and psuedo-gambits. That is NOT what I want. I want a REMAKE, with tweaks and a few added bells and whistles. If they can do both, great. But if they can't, the only way to proceed is to stick to the original. Get a PC to mod it if you need an ARPG FFVII fix. Or play XV or KHIII. Do not fuck with FFVII's combat system. Its perfect as it is, micromanaging each member's attacks and materia, split-second heals and party wipes. Its FFVII, let it keep its full identity.

Or you can design it so you can switch off characters. It doesn't have to be Kingdom Hearts.

They're definitely going to fuck with the combat system and Nomura likely knows that they don't want to have just one playable character.

There's actually an Aya cameo in the trailer - she's in the poster on one of the buildings during the cityshots.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do something with the IP down the line.

That's why I mentioned it.

Parasite Eve would also be quite a remake to behold, but I hope those who are throwing out "Xenogears" and "Final Fantasy [Not VII]" realize that this is a special circumstance and that those are not happening.

That was pure CGI, the game ain't looking like that

Right. The PS3 tech demo isn't CG. The comparisons make no sense.

Dark_castle

I think, it is going to be a very different game than what the original was.

The chasm between generations is now huge. What was once groundbreaking in FFVII, now will seem like a hassle and might even disappoint new people coming to the game.

Random encounters were great back then, but now not a lot of people will like it, as is with the entire battle system actually.

I honestly dont know how they will pull it off. It is the main reason I wasnt all that thrilled ever when remake rumors were surfacing.

Its a lose-lose situation as I see it.

SE can simply decide to improve the graphics, add a voice cast, and leave the experience intact as it was when the original was released.

Opting that route will make fans very happy. But at the same time it will make newcomers (and its been 20 years, there is a ton of newcomers) cringe with the 20 year old gameplay it will have.

Then there is the other route, that demands making huge changes overall and try to make a complete overhaul. Meaning new battle system, getting rid of old stuff while adding new, and generally "modernize" the FFVII experience.

Opting this route might give them better chances with newcomers but will probably cause a shitstorm from angry hardcore fans of the original.

Can anyone think how they can pull it off having both sides happy?
I can, for the most part.

For the battle system, retain the original Active Time Battle, but:

1) Increase the pacing of the battle. Take inspiration from Bravely Default by allowing us to speed up battle animations and such, let us skip summon animations, etc.

2) Either random encounter AND the encounter slider from Bravely Default, or visible enemies on the field with seamless encounters, like Chrono Trigger/FFXII. The former has the advantage of keeping true to the original level design of map areas, potentially making them feeling more tight and detailed looking as they don't have to accommodate the enemies. The latter means larger area and seamless encounter, but it'd be weird to see map infested with creatures and such, and the maps might be less detailed-oriented.

3) Needs a lot of balancing work. Omnislash/Mime/KOTR/Final attack+Phoenix/Double summon, all needs tweaking for the end game. At the same time, make the game more challenging, perhaps difficulty options.

4) Add more materia/weapons/armors/accesories choices. Give them interesting effects that can provide various customization possibilities and options in battles.

5) Story/character wise, new and improved translation to the same original script, no if's or buts. Voice acting optional. Remastered soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu, again optional. Cutscene skip, same thing.

6) Keep the silly/lighthearted stuff. I have no idea how they're going to make Cloud dress like a lady, but do it. Just do it. I don't even care if I'd cringe hard, but it'd be glorious.

7) World map/airship is the hardest bit. I doubt they'll make fully traversable field map like FFXV, that'd be insane.

Turn-based can be fast too, shit I think there's a lot potential to can made it "cinematic" and probably a lot easier to do it than in action game.
I didn't say they're going to turn it into an action game, they just absolutely aren't going to leave it as is.

Durante

They're turn based. That's all there is to it.
No. Seriously, that's stupid.
Turn-based combat with significant positioning is completely different from turn-based combat without significant positioning. And ATB isn't even fully turn-based in the first place.

I can, for the most part.

For the battle system, retain the original Active Time Battle, but:

1) Increase the pacing of the battle. Take inspiration from Bravely Default by allowing us to speed up battle animations and such, let us skip summon animations, etc.

2) Either random encounter AND the encounter slider from Bravely Default, or visible enemies on the field with seamless encounters, like Chrono Trigger/FFXII. The former has the advantage of keeping true to the original level design of map areas, potentially making them feeling more tight and detailed looking as they don't have to accommodate the enemies. The latter means larger area and seamless encounter, but it'd be weird to see map infested with creatures and such, and the maps might be less detailed-oriented.

3) Needs a lot of balancing work. Omnislash/Mime/KOTR/Final attack+Phoenix/Double summon, all needs tweaking for the end game. At the same time, make the game more challenging, perhaps difficulty options.

4) Add more materia/weapons/armors/accesories choices. Give them interesting effects that can provide various customization possibilities and options in battles.

5) Story/character wise, new and improved translation to the same original script, no if's or buts. Voice acting optional. Remastered soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu, again optional. Cutscene skip, same thing.

6) Keep the silly/lighthearted stuff. I have no idea how they're going to make Cloud dress like a lady, but do it. Just do it. I don't even care if I'd cringe hard, but it'd be glorious.

7) World map/airship is the hardest bit. I doubt they'll make fully traversable field map like FFXV, that'd be insane.
Good points all.

I don't think they can get away with ditching the world map/airships though. They'll just need to keep it abstract.

Aegus

Ding ding ding. If they do tweak the combat, that's probably what they'll go with.

Repost from PA forums:

SxOgj5K.png

Is it just me that prefers the "look" of the original? The PS3 demo and PS4 remake are both really grey and drab while the original has the Shinra tower brighter and more like a beacon.

Hopefully they don't forget that the original was very colourful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom