• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hope Gongaga is seriously fleshed out as a side town, especially after Crisis Core.

This is so awesome Sony killed it last night I was really hoping for FF7 remake. I cant wait maybe square at today's conference will give idea of when it will be released

There's no way it'd be the exact same battle system, surely. Even if they go with ATB it'll be different.

I agree with others who've said it's more about the setting, atmosphere and characters for me. I'm interested to see how they handle the gameplay regardless of how they do it.

This is the camp I'm in. I still enjoy old turn based games, but I can't imagine they won't at least speed battles up for 7R. And honestly, SE has yet to make a FF battle system I don't enjoy, so I'm not worried on that front. How are they going to handle the cartoonishly uneven tone of the first one (from epic to goofy to batshit insane and back again), that's my question. It worked in the original, but people expect more consistency w/ realistic assets.

Hyunashi

Which is wishful thinking, Square gonna increase its options. Expect this to be like Tomb Raider timed release for Xbone

Type-0 bombed pretty hard even with the draw of a FF15 demo. Maybe Square has increased its options and seen what it has gotten them.

Mendax

Which is wishful thinking, Square gonna increase its options. Expect this to be like Tomb Raider timed release for Xbone

type-0 didnt sell at all on xbone making cost of development and licensing bigger than potential profits for any future final fantasy though.

Tomb Raider has an established huge fanbase on playstation. Which is the exact opposite situation.

Type-0 bombed pretty bard eve with the draw of a FF15 demo. Maybe Square has increased its options and seen what it has gotten them.

yes. maybe they were expecting last gen situations..

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
And yet Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster seemed to sell well enough, and those games aren't nearly the fan favorite that FF7 is.

They sell well enough for a remaster. If VIIR gets the same number of sales as those two did, it'll be considered a bomb. Due to cost differences.

fertygo

Why some of you so busy about xbone release yo, I'm not gonna even making bet this surely arrive with Playstation current platform still ended with number 4.

Z3M0G

Are we still going to get the FFVII Steam>PS4 port? I'm actually hoping so... it would make the wait for this a bit easier to stomach.

We don't know the details of the deal so we can't say for sure what is happening right now.

It won't stay exclusive, that much is a given. If it comes to Xbox is a whole different matter.

I'd say this releases in 2017 in NA at the earliest, they probably want to shoot for the 20th anniversary of the USA release
I want it now :(

But who knows how long this will take

Soi-Fong

We don't know the details of the deal so we can't say for sure what is happening right now.

It won't stay exclusive, that much is a given. If it comes to Xbox is a whole different matter.

It's gonna come to PC. Even Kagari said so. XB1 is a different matter though.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
SE saying that the game is "PS4 first" and not just "PS4 exclusive" is probably their way of leaving some leeway to the whole announcement. Whether they have a deal with Sony or not, "PS 4 first" means they can:

A)Release the games on other platforms later if they want to, be it PC, Xbox or any other platforms.

OR

B)Keep it to just the PS4 and maybe the PC whenever they want to.

They won't incur the wrath of Sony fans(like they did with XIII's release on 360) by leaving some room for possibilities while focusing on the PS4 first.

Whether there's a deal with Sony or not is totally up for speculation of course.

Dark_castle

Random encounter is not all bad you guys. As long as the encounter slider from Bravely Default where player can freely change the encounter rate at will is in. And if they roll with random encounter, the level design of the original FFVII could be re-created in a more faithful manner without monsters crawling everywhere.

Arcadius

Banned
Tears fell down when I saw the playground during the trailer last night, more tears fell watching the reaction videos. This is truly amazing, I'm so happy.

FFVII doesn't even have to be your favorite, but it's the best selling Final Fantasy and that there are a toooooon of people who want this.

Let's all be happy, hype and out of this world excited for what transpired yesterday!! ~

Steejee

Downside of announcing something like this so far out with so little info is there's just so many questions about what the product will end up being. I'd rather have a $20 graphical overhaul with some translation cleanup, redone graphics (including making the overworld and battle models the same), and maybe even realtime cutscenes, and that's about it. This being SE though, I fully expect full priced 2018 release with a mishmash of heavily 'reimagined' bits and barely touched bits with no logic as to which is which.

FF7 to me was a fun, if not particularly spectacular, outing. FF6 is still the high water mark for me (with FFIX second) so I'm not too keen paying full price for a full on retelling.

kiyoaki

Cautiously optimistic about this. It'll be pretty much impossible for Square to live up to their fan base's (wildly divergent) expectations, and I can see so much going wrong with this. Still, this is the first time in a pretty long time I got goosebumps from a CG trailer.

Tigress

Gosh I hope the game plays like Final Fantasy 12 or like FF XV.

No random encounters pls.
AbdI hope it doesn't. I hated ffxii's combat system. It's a big reason I lost complete interest in FFXV when I heard it used something similar. It either was so boring cause you could just set it on auto pilot I had a hard time staying awake or it was frustrating cause I had to try to stop it doing something before it did when something changed and I wanted to do something different. I hate when they try to mesh up live action and turn based. One or the other damnit.

Ferr986

Or possibly, the PC version is indeed launching later, so the only place to play it for a while will be the ps4. SF5 on the other hand, may be launching simultaneously on ps4/pc (and if not simultaneously, maybe they didn't mention it because they gave emphasis to cross-platform play)

Yes but it's weird that they didn't make a bigger deal of being console exclusive, like other titles.

SE saying that the game is "PS4 first" and not just "PS4 exclusive" is probably their way of leaving some leeway to the whole announcement. Whether they have a deal with Sony or not, "PS 4 first" means they can:

A)Release the games on other platforms later if they want to, be it PC, Xbox or any other platforms.

OR

B)Keep it to just the PS4 and maybe the PC whenever they want to.

They won't incur the wrath of Sony fans(like they did with XIII's release on 360) by leaving some room for possibilities while focusing on the PS4 first.

Whether there's a deal with Sony or not is totally up for speculation of course.

Seems like it, yeah.

KupoNut

Wouldn't be surprised if this was more a reimagination than a full remake. FFVII with FFXV's combat system or whatever Nomura originally intended for Versus would be cool too.

ChadM

Neo Member
It's great and all that the remake is happening but I don't get the massive fan fare over a cg trailer, as far as we know, there might be only the slightest graphical upgrade.

Because we've been begging for this for 10 years and they're finally doing it. That knowledge alone is the cause of all the fanfare. They could have just said "We're remaking Final Fantasy VII" on stage and that would have gotten the same reaction.

CHn8P5WVEAE4Z9X.jpg:orig

One Winged Angel :D

jonno394

When I first watched I was adamant it was a sequel, especially with some of the stuff the narrator was saying. Happy for a remake :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's gonna come to PC. Even Kagari said so. XB1 is a different matter though.

I said it's possible, nothing for certain. It might not even do that depending on the release timeline. I'm just making a guess based on what's happened with other Sony-funded things as of late.

Godcannon

Man, what a dream come true. It's going to be interesting to see what's gonna get cut and what's gonna stay. I was definitely thinking something like XVs combat, but with party control like XII. Don't even know if that's possible. Then you have the mini games at the GS, which I hope stay. I LOVED how creepy and dark the trailer was.

RPGCrazied

I want it to stay turned based as well, even the random encounters can stay. May need to be tweaked on the frequency. I really hope they change nothing other than the localization from the PSX game and graphics obviously.

i remember people saying Nomura will leave Square Enix after that FF15 Story, and that he isn't needed anymore

Directing the most important game of this studio, doesn't sound that unimportant to me

Really looking forward to the combo of Kitase-Nomura

I always saw Final Fantasy 7 as a stage show with it's fixed camera angels, will be interesting to see how they manage to convert this to full 3d, also I hope they don't mess with the combat system :c

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But xb1 is out of the picture? I wonder why they didn't go with the "console exclusive" thing they usually do.

SE should clarify this themselves, but I would not expect it on that platform - especially given where the fanbase for FF lies (hint: not on Xbox).

jett

D-Member
Max Reacts hahaha

I want it to stay turned based as well, even the random encounters. May need to be tweaked on the frequency. I really hope they change nothing other than the localization from the PSX game and graphics obviously.

They will change a lot, I betcha. You shouldn't expect the same thing with a new coat of paint. I effectively expect a brand new experience.

I said it's possible, nothing for certain. It might not even do that depending on the release timeline. I'm just making a guess based on what's happened with other Sony-funded things as of late.

So if it's on PS4 first, potentially on PC, and probably not on Xbone...

Vita :D

Its a game thats going to come out 2017 or even later. I don't think its really decided if its exclusive or not but that PS4 is what they are focusing on. The wording Sony used is not like their other phrases (console exclusive, console debut) and I think that reflects the situation : nothing has been written in stone.

SgtCobra

Interesting, so this is Sony funded? I guess that puts the speculation about an Xbox One version to rest.

Hopefully there's more information at their E3 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom