• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

I don't have a problem if they change up the gameplay.. I've played the original for years.. if it's that bad (which I doubt because XII, XII, XV all have excellent combat systems) I can just go back to the original. As long as they stay true to the original narrative, I'll be content. Experiment and try new things.

I wake up and it's still real, it wasn't a dream.
I don't even need them to talk about the game until next E3, just knowing that it exists is enough for me.

Really?

I seriously doubt that.

Yes. I said this before. Why would SE all of sudden want to port FF7 to PS4, and make it such a big announcement on it. Do you really think they aren't self aware?

Kagari knew this 1 year ago.....Verendus hinted it way before as well. Projects like this don't just go from planning to announcing that quickly.

Do you know see why Hashimoto was making that expression?

No way. Nearly every one of those battle systems have been worse. Not only that, but they're responsible for the death of the vaunted "Final Fantasy feel" that everyone laments losing from the old titles.

You want one of those systems, go play a different game. There are plenty to choose from.

There's nothing wrong with, or outdated about, turn based combat. Bravely Default showed that not only can it still work and be improved, but there's still a market for it as well.

It's not gonna happen. If they wanted to create psuedo-remake with the same battle mechanics and updated visuals, they wouldn't have pulled off Nomura from FFXV.

It's clear they're serious about this, and Nomura directing basically ensures a more free-moving action combat system that he's known for.

Like others have said - If you want ATB, play the original.

I hope they talk a little bit about the direction of the game at their presser. After the euphoria of the reveal wore off I'm a little worried that this game is going to be a new FF game with the cast of FFVII... I just want a nice looking remake of the original game.

It shows the emblem and says remake. Its not a new game. Its Final Fantasy VII

That said expect some gameplay and probably story and quest changes. It needs to be updated a bit for modern times

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think people are pining for random battles as much as they are turn based ones. Turn based RPGS still come out yearly (especially on 3DS and Vita), so I think a fast paced improvement on the old style wouldn't be a regression, it would be an evolution.

The way some of the locations are designed, I can't imagine it would be a complete action based title. It won't be like Kingdom Hearts or even FFXV.

I do expect it to be a new version of ATB closer to FFXIII. That way it's still somewhat turn based while still giving the user a new degree of freedom.

I can't see them making the combat just like the old version. They are definitely going to speed it up and make it more dynamic.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I hope they talk a little bit about the direction of the game at their presser. After the euphoria of the reveal wore off I'm a little worried that this game is going to be a new FF game with the cast of FFVII... I just want a nice looking remake of the original game.

The press release calls it a full remake.

Trago

First on PS4? Alrighty then. I'm hyped. I imagine that this is stupid early, and we'll probably not hear about it for another year.

Valor

Worried he might make it overly serious like Advent Children. Hopefully they can retain the goofiness and charm of FF7.
Please make Cloud crossdress.
I do kind of wonder on a more sober note if they'll be able to retain the charm of the original with full realized 3d models and voice acting. The thing is though, and I'm sure many people will agree with this: it doesn't matter.

You aren't going to top the original. There's going to have to be some updates here and there. FF7 is a huge game and there's a lot to recreate outside of the main storyline. Choco breeding/racing, materia systems, fort condor, submarine battles, snowboarding, the battle arena, all of that. FF7 was goofy at times and very serious at others. It's a tough balancing act, to be sure. I'm really way more interested to see how the story of Final Fantasy VII is interpreted now in 2015 (2017? 2020? who the fuck cares) especially with the wealth of additional world building that's happened since. Will they namedrop Genesis? Deepground? Will they possibly even sequel bait us? New towns/areas? it's all very intriguing to me since while I know people would be happy with a 1:1 remake, I'm kind of curious to see what they would add or possibly even remove from the story.

If the trailer is anything to go by, the look of the Buster Sword is basically that from Crisis Core. They even showed off South Edge, which existed in Advent Children. I'm really excited to see what direction they bring the game in, and I just know when I finally play it and Cloud backflips off of the train to the ground and the music starts up I'm just going to lose my fucking mind, regardless of how good or bad the game will end up being.

McNum

I say speed up the ATB, keep it turn based, but make it flashy and "cinematic" for the animation, like Cloud physically runs up to the baddie and slashes him, backflips or whatever and then stands where he is. Not like a lineup where they just swing a sword and a slash mark goes across the enemy. That way people with ADD are happy that flashy action is going on, but I get to keep my sweet sweet turn based combat.

Or else just keep it turned based.

I just don't want ARPG combat. Not for this.
That's how the original FF7 did it, anyway. Cloud DOES run up and hit the enemy, then leaps backwards to his spot. I would totally like to see that again, but maybe break up the line a bit more. I'd still want front and back rows as that has some tactical use, though.

And NO Auto-Battle, Gambits or anything that makes the CPU play my characters. I control everything. Learning how to time moves, and how you can use Limit Breaks to interrupt both friend and foe, since they happen immediately, is a skill for the game. Having Tifa just waste her Limit Break because the CPU was controlling her would be annoying.

Reset

Turn based combat doesn't belong on home consoles. If they're going to keep the battle, then the game should have just been on a handheld.
action rpg or bust

Dark_castle

I doubt this is actually a shot for shot remake of the game. I bet there will be some changes, and I am curious to see how the do the battle, is it going to be ATB or action or some way we can switch between the two?

But I will buy this DAy 1 but I would much rather see those names attached to FFXVI than a remake of a game that should stay as is. I feel as if though the project wouldn't work without those names connected to it though. I just feel a lot of people may be disappointed.

As excited I am for FFVII remake, FFXVI is very much reserved to be directed none other than Hiroyuki Ito as far as I'm concerned. Character designer should be Akihiko Yoshida. Story by Yasumi Matsuno. Now that would be great.

It's odd that you mention their track record in remaking FFs when it comes to this specific question, because of what they did to FF4 starting with the GBA release. :p

You can revive almost everyone who died and use them on your final team.

Because all of those people ended up surviving whatever killed them in the original FF4 anyways. Tellah is the only party member that truly died and he stayed dead in every subsequent version. Having Aerith survive isn't worth poking the bear, especially since they would have to rewrite the game heavily to accommodate her still being around.

Meowster

Yeah. I extremely hope that random encounters are done with for good. Something like how they did it in XIII-2 would work good, enemies appearing on the field at random intervals and you choosing to run away or not. Or they could show them entirely on the field, like XII-XIII-XV but some of those enemies are just massive. I dunno if they'd be able to get that scale right.

Am excited for based Nomura. I wish Kitase still directed games though. This one was like his baby.

AgeEighty

It's not gonna happen. If they wanted to create psuedo-remake with the same battle mechanics and updated visuals, they wouldn't have pulled off Nomura from FFXV.

It's clear they're serious about this, and Nomura directing basically ensures a more free-moving action combat system that he's known for.

Except that Nomura also had a hand in ATB. Just because he's done other things since doesn't automatically mean he's going to completely throw the original system out the window. He's not a one trick pony.

I'm sure it's comforting to feel as certain about something as you clearly are about this, but I don't think Nomura's involvement "ensures" free-moving combat at all.

dramatis

They sort of have all the assets to save time as well, I mean the story is done (unless it's changed up, maybe minor translation correction here and there).
I could see a 2017/2018 happening to be honest, not like they have do redo everything from scratch (development wise, they have a lot they can use from the get go).
No.

People say, "Well they have the game design, the story, the music, the character designs, that's already most of the assets, it shouldn't take too long!" Those people don't know how little of the game production the above is. That stuff can be put down on paper and be a bible for the rest of the development team and time, but actual time, resources and effort are put into the creation of visual assets (character models, enemy models, environments, objects, etc.), the animation of said visual assets, the development of the game engine, the implementation of assets into the game engine, the implementation of the game design into the game engine, other implementations (minigames, cutscenes, etc.), and a hefty amount of time is spent just fixing technical bugs, much less say things like gameplay and balance playtesting.

Even if they are doing "static backgrounds" style of the original (or like Pillars of Eternity), they don't have the original assets for that anymore. So those have to be created anew.

Having the original design and story means very little, like maybe one month shaved off pre-production if they're rushing it. Square can definitely exert a massive amount of effort and resources to get a game done in two years, but it will come at a high cost not only financially but also from the other projects in development in their Japan studios. That's the story of FF14: ARR, and ARR development started with much of its HD assets available. It sucked up most of the resources at SE Japan for two years and probably got a bunch of other projects cancelled. And then there's the question of whether or not they can do it for a freshly built single-player title, which by example FF15 is actually demonstrating that they can't do it in a timely fashion.

On the other hand it might be possible for them to share object/environment assets between FF15 and FF7R, so there's that for saving time and resources.

That's why it's optimistic to believe in 2017 release. Ultimately whether or not they can hit that year is dependent on the kind of game they're going to remake it into. If, for instance, they do FF13-corridors for FF7R I would say SE Japan has the ability to do it. Ha.

Dark_castle

Turn based combat doesn't belong on home consoles. If they're going to keep the battle, then the game should have just been on a handheld.
action rpg or bust

That's nonsense. Persona 5 is going to be turn-based and people are hyped as shit for that game. Not to mention there're other titles like South Park: The Stick of Truth, the Atelier games and upcoming SMTxFE. JRPG turn-based battle is a rare sight on console these days, true, and it's all the more reason why FFVII remake should retain its ATB system.

daveo42

Banned
Still cannot believe this is happening. Didn't believe it, even during the trailer. Didn't think it could happen. Then it did. Then I cried. It was so beautiful.

Now I'm way more curious as to how much they actually changed to the game in terms of visuals. We have a portion of our CG intro to the city itself, but how much time and how far can they go in that time. Will it look and feel more like XV or will they scrap all the old assets and just build new ones from the ground up, keeping camera angles and shots from the original intact?

We can assume that they'd keep the battle system intact, along with the story and dialogue though that might be a bit more fleshed out in some spots. I pray they don't make too many big changes in this area just to shoehorn in new characters, but with Crisis Core and the want to milk VII as much as humanly possible, it's almost guaranteed. We can also assume an updated score, maybe 100% orchestral with a few callbacks here and there.

While I am very hyped for this game, I still have a ton of questions about how this game will eventually shake out and when we will see it in action. 2017 makes sense, but now SE has three big AAA titles going while maintaining ARR.

i feel a bit selfish for saying this, but it's being remade more than i wanted it too.

i suppose it's a good thing they've gone overboard though.

just don't touch the battle system, please.

pLow7

I'm really excited about Nomura's involvement. I can't ;-;

Yeah i'm interested too, because apparently they changed some positions.

Original (1997)

Producer: Hironobu Sakaguchi
Director : Yoshinori Kitase
Scenario Writers: Kazushige Nojima, Yoshinori Kitase
Character design, battle visual director, base story: Tetsuya Nomura

Remake (TBA)

Producer :Yoshinori Kitase
Director : Tetsuya Nomura
Scenario Writers: Kazushige Nojima

Interesting.

action rpg or bust

Ugh, everything is an action rpg nowadays, and they all suck compared to the souls series anyway. I'd rather they just used FFx-2s ATB system.

Except that Nomura also had a hand in ATB. Just because he's done other things since doesn't automatically mean he's going to completely throw the original system out the window. He's not a one trick pony.

I'm sure it's comforting to feel as certain about something as you clearly are about this, but I don't think Nomura's involvement "ensures" free-moving combat at all.
um lol Nomura didn't design the ATB nor has he ever directed a game or gameplay that used it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom