• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup.

Characters like Vincent, Sephiroth, and Cloud did not translate well to the realism style. It's what's making me apprehensive about the remake using that style. Hopefully they can fix up the designs to make them look more accurate to the originals.

They are very likely going to look similar to the style used in Advent Children, just likely with their original costumes.
Might as well deal with it right now. :)

What are we hoping for OST wise?

Distant Worlds style or Black Mages style?

I would kill for the whole thing to be done by the Black Mages.

Dr. Buni

I wish the characters looked more anime than realistic.
I just can't with anime-like games anymore, so many gross games with anime characters ruined the style for me. So stylized realistic characters (like in Advent Children) are much better for me.

I hope it is as close to the original soundtrack as possible. No metal remixes, please.

JP

Mixed feelings about this but luckily I can completely ignore the game if I want to. They'll be treading a very fine line with what they change and what they keep the same and I think that whatever they do it's not going to be to everybody's liking.

I really hope that they pull it off though and I'll probably end up playing it whatever people think.

Miang

Full orchestral score supervised by Uematsu. Black mages would be awesome for E.g. Those Who Fight Further but not the whole soundtrack imo.

Eidan

His design in FFVII G-Bike is really good.

VlFP61d.png

I hope he looks like this.
Yep. This is much better than the original design.

Thinking more about it, I'm leaning more towards the Distant Worlds style. Black Mages are great, but doesn't really fit some of the soundtrack.

I have a horrible feeling Nobuo will be too busy to work on this...

Eh. I prefer his more stylized look. He should still be a huge, burly man. He just looks too thin there.

Exactly right, burly is the perfect word. Barret needs to be properly barrel-chested and a hulking figure. The moment you slim him down is the moment he ceases to be Barret. From the very limited screen time he has in the trailer, it does seem at least that Square Enix have designed him better than they did in AC.

Cedric

No Black Mages please, I just want it to sound the same but updated... no rock, metal, techno or whatever remixes (no dissidia style thx). Orchestra could be sweet, that one version of One Winged Angel and the Overworld theme is dope.

Scirrocco

Looks.like I'll be checking out ps4 deals this black Friday.

They said they wouldn't make it until they surpassed ff7, this either says good things about ff15 or bad things about square management.

Wazzy

Banned
I wonder how the soundtrack will sound. I personally love the original but they'll probably make it orchestrated.
They are very likely going to look similar to the style used in Advent Children, just likely with their original costumes.
Might as well deal with it right now. :)
Hey a girl can hope right? :p

Looks.like I'll be checking out ps4 deals this black Friday.

They said they wouldn't make it until they surpassed ff7, this either says good things about ff15 or bad things about square management.

Square is fine. They have mobile in Japan and consoles everywhere else.

Mobile subsidizes the Console games, so thank crappy mobile games and mobile ports for FF7 being remade.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Definitely not Black Mages style.
Indeed. Syrupy flowery keyboard-laden hard rock is just ugh. I'd like a kick-ass metal remix of Still More Fighting though, since that'd fit the style nicely. I'd be happy if they kept the all of the OST in the same style as the original but with modern production values (e.g. fully orchestral One-Winged Angel and main theme, for example).

Godcannon

Love how the characters looked exactly the same. In fact, the more they keep the same, the more likely this will be a legendary remake. I know some people are divided, but I guarantee if they keep (sort of)turn based combat and random battles it will be better, because it won't have to sacrifice as much. It needs to preserve as much as possible. Can't wait to hear more, I hope they do surveys to get feedback on what people want most. I sure as hell have 100 things I could name.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
To be honest, it wouldn't make sense to put it on Xbox anyway, ESPECIALLY long after the PS4 version. On the PC, I can understand, because VII has been there before, but the Xbox is basically null in this equation.

Japan - Many of it sales. Check

Launching on PS4 first - Many of its sales. Check

With PS4 being the market leader, and including those variables, it makes no sense at all for an X1 release. Word is it will be another SFV situation anyway, so it's seems unlikely all around.

I hope they just use updated sounds of the original. Everything metal or orchestrated would get old fast. I enjoy the varied sounds of the PSX titles.

Terra

Yeah. Guess I will be getting a PS4 down the line.

Remind you, that this is a REMAKE, not a remaster.
I guess we will se a lot of good extra stuff. I also hope the game will have optional areas and be HARD!

ConceptX

Rewatching the trailer for a few frames it seems like Cloud is wearing the original purple Shinra outfit.

Not the Advent Children black.

Oh I so hope it really is the original purple.

I like the narration too, it's about us, the players, not the games story.

Edit: Yes I'm almost certain it's the purple outfit, when the light shines off Cloud you can see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

Nice to see Roberto Ferrari being used for Character Design in this alongside Nomura ala FFXV.

Terra

Remember back in the day, there was a legend that you can save
Aeris
. With this remake, maybe they would finally put that in

It wouldn't surprise me if this was included. As a secret though.

Man. I am stoked.
This is the game that eclipses my early teens, I am so nostalgic you cannot believe it.

Rewatching the trailer for a few frames it seems like Cloud is wearing the original purple Shinra outfit.

Not the Advent Children black.

Oh I so hope it really is the original purple.

I like the narration too, it's about us, the players, not the games story.

Edit: Yes I'm almost certain it's the purple outfit, when the light shines off Cloud you can see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kznek1uNVsg

Nice to see Roberto Ferrari being used for Character Design in this alongside Nomura ala FFXV.

His sword is also the original Buster sword design I believe (not AC design)

CarJeter

Neo Member
Not a FFVII fan, but definitely excited to play this game with such improved graphics! I am not a graphic whore but the PS1 version of VII was unplayable for me because of it...

Are they just improving the gameplay, graphics etc. or are they completely remake the game with new story etc.?

I just want an evolved form of the ATB system used in the game. Something like what X-2 did with it: have characters dynamically move according to the other characters' positions and the enemies'.

MKAllDay

I assume this remake will add a little bit of side content as other remade/updated/advanced versions of Final Fantasy games have done in the past. But what do you guys think about them eventually releasing DLC for this? Obviously I mean down the line (don't want to give them any bad ideas), but in the future just adding substantial side content to a beloved classic.

Personally, I will take all the Final Fantasy VII I can get. So I would like it as long as it is tastefully done and spaced out to where it does not come off as some obvious cut content DLC cash grab.

Thinking more about it, I'm leaning more towards the Distant Worlds style. Black Mages are great, but doesn't really fit some of the soundtrack.

No Black Mages please, I just want it to sound the same but updated... no rock, metal, techno or whatever remixes (no dissidia style thx). Orchestra could be sweet, that one version of One Winged Angel and the Overworld theme is dope.

Indeed. Syrupy flowery keyboard-laden hard rock is just ugh. I'd like a kick-ass metal remix of Still More Fighting though, since that'd fit the style nicely. I'd be happy if they kept the all of the OST in the same style as the original but with modern production values (e.g. fully orchestral One-Winged Angel and main theme, for example).

Black Mage's version of Still More Fighting IS basically true to fuck to the original(probably the MOST true to the original out of ALL the Black Mages interpretations). It's basically the original with real instruments, played in Progressive Rock style, which it was meant to sound like(Uematsu's a big Prog Rock fan and seems to work in the style with some of his rock-based tunes). This versions is basically how it SHOULD sound like.

Now, I wouldn't want the Black Mages on every track, but it should be handled like Super Mario 3D World or what they plan on doing with Bloodstained, use whatever they see fit per song. Some songs should be fully orchestrated, others should be a smaller ensamble, while the more pop and rock-tunes should be played by a band.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom