• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - PS5 4K HDR Gameplay (Quality Mode)

mckmas8808

Banned
Anyone else being crippled by the choices presented in this game and R&C? I really can't decide which I want to land on, performance or quality. A part of me wishes the developer just chose and put all effort into one. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Sadly that will never be possible.

Interfectum

My main problem with PS5. I can't decide best mode for me 😭
Stay Strong Stronger Together GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Dynasty8

FFVII Remake for me is a 9/10

The intermission Yuffie DLC is a 2/10. Not even joking.

God, she is such an annoying character. The story, characters, dialogue has NEW modern Square Enix written all over it. Typical melodramatic, teenage, anime trope that just overreacts and yells stupid shit non stop. They did so good with the main cast in the Remake, but royally fucked up with this new smaller cast in the DLC. As a die hard fan of the original, I really don't feel confident in the new modern Square Enix. They always find a way to add extra cringe while trying extra hard to deviate from the original.

Gameplay wise...combat is still great. But the level design is as poor as always. Not sure why they even give you all that extra equipment/materia when the dlc itself is only a couple hours long.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FFVII Remake for me is a 9/10

The intermission Yuffie DLC is a 2/10. Not even joking.

God, she is such an annoying character. The story, characters, dialogue has NEW modern Square Enix written all over it. Typical melodramatic, teenage, anime trope that just overreacts and yells stupid shit non stop. They did so good with the main cast in the Remake, but royally fucked up with this new smaller cast in the DLC. As a die hard fan of the original, I really don't feel confident in the new modern Square Enix. They always find a way to add extra cringe while trying extra hard to deviate from the original.

Gameplay wise...combat is still great. But the level design is as poor as always. Not sure why they even give you all that extra equipment/materia when the dlc itself is only a couple hours long.
LOL Yuffie was annoying as hell in the original. The only reason she was even tolerable was because she was just a low-poly model with no VA. I always thought she’d be completely fucking insufferable as a fully voice-acted mo-capped character. You just confirmed exactly what I was suspecting.

Especially seeing her new design with that stupid moogle outfit. Great design for a stealthy ninja there!

Ugh I hate that “feisty bitchy teen girl” trope

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone else being crippled by the choices presented in this game and R&C? I really can't decide which I want to land on, performance or quality. A part of me wishes the developer just chose and put all effort into one. :messenger_loudly_crying:
Its really up to you, the performance mode imo is basically like the PS4 Pro @ 60fps
While the quality mode is, well just look at my screenshots.
tenor.gif

93xfan

Banned
One of my favourite games of last year, cant wait to platinum it again, I always said after playing it on PS4 Pro that this game was MADE for next gen, looks amazing

Loved it so much up to a late point in it. Hoping they explain themselves well and get back on track.

With that said, revisiting the world and see so much more of the characters was a truly amazing experience. I’ve never hit the share button so much in a game before.

fallingdove

Does the graphics mode have dynamic FPS? I am having difficulty seeing the frame per second difference between graphics and performance. Maybe it's just my TV.

Lethal01

Its really up to you, the performance mode imo is basically like the PS4 Pro @ 60fps
While the quality mode is, well just look at my screenshots.
tenor.gif

Nah, game looks way better already regardless of resolution.
Honestly, you could post those same screenshots in the performance mode and the difference would be extremely minimal.

This is a good thing to me, means the choice is easy since there's really no reason to play in "quality" mode. I was really worried beforehand that graphical settings would be turned down.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Square-Enix JRPGs exist on a continuum.

One extreme is stuff like FF XII and FF Tactics, where characters talk and act like grown-ups with functioning brains.

On the other extreme is stuff like Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. So up-its-own-ass you need a YouTube series to make sense of it, yet simultaneously so infantile it makes Twilight look like Shakespeare in comparison.

FF7 Remake fell way closer to the latter extreme than I was hoping :(

Shmunter

Ok so I started playing. Think this is going to be my next game.

The incredible gfx really draw you into the characters, instantly like a movie. The rpg gameplay is solid and the pace, at least so far is total bombast where I can’t stop playing.

The 60fps mode is definitely the one to go for, for most.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I played through this on the Pro before, and im playing the PS5 version again from the beginning in quality mode (graphics). It looks so damn good!!! In act 2 and the combat and everything has been super smooth, no hiccups or anything at all

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yup, it's up to me, hence crippled by choice. 60 FPS goodness or your screenshots. :messenger_loudly_crying:
At end of the day you mostly be playing the game, so game feeling much better to play is more valuable than screenshots in my eyes.

Lethal01

Do you think the DLC is over-priced? especially compared to the acclaimed DLCs out there?

I got 7 hours out of it on the first run and it was 10/10 all the way through.
EVERYTHING bad about the gameplay in part 1 was addressed in this DLC and it assures me that Part 2 will be an absolute masterpiece.

Yuffie is a love her or hate her. I think most think her cute but others hate her and find her annoying.
I think the added mini-games are great but if you skip them it will be a good bit shorter. I also held back on upgrades to make it more difficult.

I find the price to be totally reasonable and feel like Square worked hard to earn my cash so I'm happy to reward this kind of effort.

Thought I'd finish off my trophies before I transfer my save. Last save is just before the cutter and sweeper fight in chapter 9 from June last year and I have no idea what I'm doing. Probably shouldn't have left it so long lol.

Kev Kev

I got 7 hours out of it on the first run and it was 10/10 all the way through.
EVERYTHING bad about the gameplay in part 1 was addressed in this DLC

can you expand on this?

battle? Lock on camera? Side quests? Long hallways? Blue arrows everywhere? Sections where you walk 10 feet, hit a cutscene, walk 10 more feet, another cut scene, rinse repeat? Etc

Was all of that addressed? What else? I have a laundry list of complaints and can not imagine they addressed “everything”. But I would love to hear some details and specifics on what you think they fixed/altered.

Last edited:

Lethal01

can you expand on this?

battle? Lock on camera? Side quests? Long hallways? Blue arrows everywhere? Sections where you walk 10 feet, hit a cutscene, walk 10 more feet, another cut scene, rinse repeat? Etc

Was all of that addressed? What else? I have a laundry list of complaints and can not imagine they addressed “everything”. But I would love to hear some details and specifics on what you think they fixed/altered.

I was specifically talking about combat system, it's a huge improvement and now feels like perfection aside form not being hard enough. Aerial combat feels fantastic, Dodging and blocking feels more fluid and responsive, you have way more options to string together your attacks and skill, You can expend atb to have a dodge with I frames. I feel like theres more polish on the one simpler side quest that was added. I don't think I remember a section that was nothing but walking from cutscene to cutscene. There's no extended slow movement to hide loading, There was a single moment where yuffie squeze through a crack but it was literally just that, 1 second or less to move through/under something.

However, the dungeons are very noticeably improved, but I'll be the first to say they aren't the BoTW level of freedom and interaction I wish they were but I do feel like all the complaints you mentioned were noted and alleviated without doing a total overhaul.

The areas are wider, there are blue marks but they feel more like loose indicator of interactive elements instead of extremely rigid "stand here to progress". Like in the trailer I saw a clip of Yuffie wallrunning and immediately thought 'why does square even bother with pretending to support fun movement " but when I actually got to it I had to admit it was fun and felt like it was in my control and was an actual tool to use.

To be clear I would never claim the dungeons are now great and I want them to be totally changed, I just also can't pretend I can't see the clear improvement in this area.

I think the Box minigame is actually a perfect example of what they need to integrate directly into the dungeons, give the characters totally free movement and ability use like they are in battle but let them use those abilities to actually solve issues rather than hitting switches.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah, game looks way better already regardless of resolution.
Honestly, you could post those same screenshots in the performance mode and the difference would be extremely minimal.

This is a good thing to me, means the choice is easy since there's really no reason to play in "quality" mode. I was really worried beforehand that graphical settings would be turned down.
I personally notice hair artifacts during gameplay.
I wouldn't say the image was softer, just a little ruffer in places compared to the solid, clean image the quality mode offers.
I'd be interested what differences are other then resolution

Lethal01

I personally notice hair artifacts during gameplay.
I wouldn't say the image was softer, just a little ruffer in places compared to the solid, clean image the quality mode offers.
I'd be interested what differences are other then resolution

I'm pretty sure the resolution is the only difference, the hair is indeed the place I think the increased resolution is most noticeable.

vpance

I'm pretty sure the resolution is the only difference, the hair is indeed the place I think the increased resolution is most noticeable.

Agree with the hair.

At times the res difference isn't too noticeable, sometimes more. I tried jacking up the sharpness on my TV for Perf mode and it's not bad. Wish my TV had better interpolation. The game would easily be playable with that turned on for graphics mode.

Tygeezy

Agree with the hair.

At times the res difference isn't too noticeable, sometimes more. I tried jacking up the sharpness on my TV for Perf mode and it's not bad. Wish my TV had better interpolation. The game would easily be playable with that turned on for graphics mode.
Interpolation on the tv always adds input lag which would be made worse by the already higher input latency from 30 fps. What we need in the future is interpolation done from the rendering hardware like they do with virtual reality.

vpance

Interpolation on the tv always adds input lag which would be made worse by the already higher input latency from 30 fps. What we need in the future is interpolation done from the rendering hardware like they do with virtual reality.

Some of the newer Samsungs have incredibly low lag for even with interpolation on, like 20ms! Not sure if picture quality suffers noticeably though.

Tygeezy

Some of the newer Samsungs have incredibly low lag for even with interpolation on, like 20ms! Not sure if picture quality suffers noticeably though.
You're right, the Samsung's go from 10 ms to 20 ms with interpolation at 60 hz. That's pretty dang good considering 20 ms use to be very good for a tv maybe 5 years ago? The tradeoff for me here would be it's lcd instead of oled... Major bummer there. I'm curious if there are significant artifacts?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It looks insane at 60 FPS on my CX I don’t want to even bother with the quality setting. It doesn’t look soft on my tv at all.

bitbydeath

Quality all the way.
I have that as my default PS5 setting.
Frame rate never bothers me though, 30/60 it’s all the same.

Reactions: TGO

SkylineRKR

Probably buy this on sale one day. I don't care about Yuffie and I recently beat the game again via Plus. I've looked up the Intermission ending and well, this is going places isn't it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Have they upgraded all the grunting and sighing? Bet it sounds great with 3D audio. Kinda like being in the middle of a virtual bukkake

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I don't see it :messenger_expressionless:

I go on the store via my PC and see...

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE upgrade for PS4™ version owners​

Not available for purchase

I bought it last August! Am on hold with Sony right now.
Hi Soulz, any update on this? Hate crap like this.
Hopefully you’ve resolved your issue.

Pagusas

Elden Member
not sure if this is thread for it, but whats the opinion on the DLC? is it worth a buy?
Loving it. Yes it’s worth a buy.
Play in Japanese and it's got way less.
I’m still amazed with all its story oriented games and AAA quality, Square-enix is the WORSE AA+ studio when it comes to handling its voice over quality, both in recording quality and direction. Play an insomniac, naughty dog or any other AAA studio game and their voice over quality is so much better it hurts. I don’t get it, does Square just cheap out on that part? It really sounds like they outsource it and don’t care about the results.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I played both the performance and the graphics mode and I can’t see any real difference in sharpness but my god the frame rate is fuvking awful in graphics mode. My 9 year old daughter said what’s wrong with the video dad, when it was 30fps…I felt so proud. 60 FPS it is and looking like butter.

Lethal01

I’m still amazed with all its story oriented games and AAA quality, Square-enix is the WORSE AA+ studio when it comes to handling its voice over quality, both in recording quality and direction. Play an insomniac, naughty dog or any other AAA studio game and their voice over quality is so much better it hurts. I don’t get it, does Square just cheap out on that part? It really sounds like they outsource it and don’t care about the results.

Like I said this is just not a fair comparison.

You have to compare The English dub of FF7 to something like the german dub of The last of us or the japanese dub of ratchet.
The non-native language is always worse even for the best studios.

I played both the performance and the graphics mode and I can’t see any real difference in sharpness but my god the frame rate is fuvking awful in graphics mode. My 9 year old daughter said what’s wrong with the video dad, when it was 30fps…I felt so proud. 60 FPS it is and looking like butter.

I thought the framerate was stable at 30FPs. Or are you saying that 30FPs just feels bad in general.

decisions

Loving it. Yes it’s worth a buy.

It’s weird because FFXIII had such a good dub. Felt very professional. Since rhen it has felt very amateurish and weird, especially FFXV I think is a horrible dub.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

2020's Final Fantasy 7 Remake just got upgraded to take advantage of the PS5's better hardware capabilities. Thanks to this free upgrade, Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the PS5 now has the option to run at a better frame rate or at a higher resolution compared to the PS4 Pro. This is interesting because Final Fantasy 7 Remake was only released on PS4 and PS4 Pro and the potential of playing it in 60fps is definitely a mouth watering prospect.

The PS5 free upgrade adds two different modes, Performance and Graphics modes, but before we talk about them, note that we analysed the performance by taking some sample scenes from the game and running it through trdrop, an open source software. Note that this tool gives us a mere demonstration of the game’s performance, because an exact 1:1 representation of performance can only be provided by the developers themselves since they have access to a vast array of tools and profilers.

So as noted previously, Final Fantasy 7 Remake on PS5 has two modes, Graphics and Performance. The Graphics mode pushes the game at higher resolution, perhaps 4K, and runs at a stable 30 frames per second. This marks a substantial improvement in image quality compared to the PS4 Pro version which only ran at 1620p and at 30 frames per second. However, the Performance is where we are interested in.

The game runs at a stable 60 frames per second in this mode, albeit at a lower resolution, Given that the game features fast paced action, this is the best way to experience the game, at least in our opinion. 60 frames per second makes a massive difference specially when compared to 30 frames per second on the PS4 Pro. We will leave you with more frame rate tests and comparisons between different modes, so check them out and let us know your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, let us know what game you want us to test next.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Like I said this is just not a fair comparison.

You have to compare The English dub of FF7 to something like the german dub of The last of us or the japanese dub of ratchet.
The non-native language is always worse even for the best studios.
Bull shit. FF XII had infinitely better writing, direction, and voice acting. Square Enix is a massive publisher with a substantial western presence and has been for decades. They worked with lots of Hollywood actors e.g. with the kingdom hearts series.

FF VII is the way it is because this is what Tetsuya Nomura thought was cool. It has nothing to do with being lost in translation.

Lethal01

Bull shit. FF XII had infinitely better writing, direction, and voice acting. Square Enix is a massive publisher with a substantial western presence and has been for decades. They worked with lots of Hollywood actors e.g. with the kingdom hearts series.

FF VII is the way it is because this is what Tetsuya Nomura thought was cool. It has nothing to do with being lost in translation.

We are specifically talking about voice work, I've got no problems with the story really, and would take it over XII any day but that's not what we are talking about at all.

We are talking about how the English VOICE work is bad compared to the English voice work of something like Uncharted, I'm saying that for a fair comparison you need to either compare FFVII in English to Uncharted in some non-native language or compare Uncharted in English the FFVII in Japanese. I'm not even saying that the dub couldn't or shouldn't be better, I'm only saying that comparing one game in it's native language to another that's been redubbed is a bad comparison. You're comparison to FFXII is far more logical.

Also, there is absolutely tons lost in translation in both FFVII:R and FFXII and it does indeed hurt the English version..

Also, it's unlikely that Nomura had big part details of the writing and even less to do with the direction of the English Voice acting. He is pretty hands off with this game in general.

Last edited:

Arsic

Tried quality and performance, and the boost to 60FPS was far more amazing than I had anticipated. Couldn't switch back to 4k 30fps after trying 60fps. Just so much smoother and fluid !

Top Bottom