• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will most likely come to PC in 2022 as Playstation exclusivity is extended

Fbh

This confused me, that last part. Why should i as a gamer be happy that i own a game that only people who bought my console can play? like what does that even benefit me? what i am getting out from it? lets say the game is available on all consoles, or lets say its only available on the console that i own and nothing else. At the end its the same thing for me, i just played the game.
I even see comments on Twitter and on Youtube that people fight and argue with each other over who has more games? its hilarious because if the person is not part of the corporation itself why do they care if other people get to play the game or not?
Like for example Demon's Souls Remake is only available on PS5, this whole decision only benefits Sony and for someone who only plays on Sony Console they do NOT get any benefit out of it being exclusive and not releasing on other consoles.

Im really confused about this! can someone explain to me the logic behind people who have this kind of mentality about console exclusives and being "loyal" to their brand?

Well I can't speak for others, but to me consoles have 2 main appeals: A good price to performance ratio, and exclusives.
I'm certainly not buying a console for the closed ecosystem with 1 store that has a digital monopoly, the lack of regional pricing, paid multiplayer, lack of mods, more expensive games and the uncertain forward compatibility of said games.

So when a console offers a game I can only play on said console, it becomes more valuable to me. Because if I could play Demon Souls Remake, Returnal, Ratchet, Horizon 2, The next god of war, etc on Series X and PC, then why the hell do I even want a Ps5 to begin with?. I'd rather stick to PC or Series X which would give me access to everything available on ps5 + gamepass + their own exclusives which aren't on ps5, etc.

So when the console maker of the system I own is going to spend millions of dollars on games, I'd rather have them spending that money on NEW and unique games I can only play on their system, instead of money hatting third party devs so those games that would have been made and released on my console anyway don't come to other platforms.

If Sony didn't pay for a timed exclusive deal of FFXVI we'd still have gotten a FFXVI. If MS didn't pay for a timed exclusive of Scorn we'd still have gotten Scorn. It's bringing nothing special to their system or the industry at large.
But when Ms/Sony/Nintendo actually invest in making new games for their systems, they aren't just adding value to their consoles but actually enriching gaming with unique experiences we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Last edited:

kyoji

feels good to be a playstation owner i dont waste time worrying about this type stuff i know most games will be available..

bitbydeath

Sounds like a whole lot of guessing. Time exclusive timeframes were never announced previously, it’s not even a 100% known if they even exist at all.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't support exclusives. In any way, shape, or form. I never cared when PC games finally make it to console, as matter a fact I'm all for it. Unlike all the suicidal
people when they found out HZD, DS, Days Gone, etc, coming to PC.

Please point to where I even remotely claimed to be the spokesperson of PC, whatever the hell that means 😂. You realize I specifically put "I", which means me, and MY perspective. Not sure you get so triggered when people state the obvious. A more powerful machine is still more powerful. Water is wet. And thanks for being the armchair mod, that's what we all need. /s
ZnAh6OJ.gif

Krizalidx11

Banned
Nobody is buying that DLC other than 1 million really hardcore fans who wants to play a 4hrs DLC, in other words Sony stopped SE from making money off of FF7R AGAIN !!!

If you think about it, FF7 sales would be record breaking if it launched on Switch in Japan heck the whole world too even 6 months after the PS4 release, ofc SONY paid for this exclusivity deal a pretty penny but it won't be more than the numbers this game would bring if it launched on all platforms a year after it's official release, i'm one of 6million buyers of the FF7R who will get a free upgrade on PS5 and will ignore the new tiny very expensive 4hrs DLC, Yuffie and another generic made-up character are not worth the money

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Really? Your allegiance to PC shows you like game boxes.
PC is also a "plastic box".
I responded to that but I'll do it once more:
It is not because I issue a criticism that I am directly a "fanboy". I play mainly on PC yes but I also have a PS4 and I'm VERY VERY happy with it.
Tomb Raider exclusive for one year on Xbox was dumb and a sneaky move. And imo this is the same as this and it needs to be criticized.

We can disagree it's okay, stop seeing an aggression everywhere

Last edited:

Unknown?

I responded to that but I'll do it once more:
It is not because I issue a criticism that I am directly a "fanboy". I play mainly on PC yes but I also have a PS4 and I'm VERY VERY happy with it.
Tomb Raider exclusive for one year on Xbox was dumb and a sneaky move. And imo this is the same as this and it needs to be criticized.

We can disagree it's okay, stop seeing an aggression everywhere
Was just pointing out the irony. Don't think this is the same. Tomb Raider was announced as a multiplatform before it was exclusive. This was always a PS first game. If you were fine waiting a year then you can wait 1.5-2 years.

Was just pointing out the irony. Don't think this is the same. Tomb Raider was announced as a multiplatform before it was exclusive. This was always a PS first game. If you were fine waiting a year then you can wait 1.5-2 years.
The ironic thing about this, was first final fantasy was out before PlayStation was even a thing.... And it wasn't just the first one, but several of the series released, before it ever came to PlayStation. If anything, it's a Nintendo first game. Which goes to show you, it's been on several different hardware.

Money hatting a game exclusivity is not for the players or the gamers. Until people realize that, we'll constantly run into this problem. Why was so many Sony fans upset about Bethesda acquisition? I thought exclusivity was a great thing, until that happened, right?

PC should never be affected by exclusivity nonetheless. History has shown that many of us would rather wait it out, or not get something at all, than to buy hardware for a single game, just to sell it a month or two later. Not really worth it at all, especially with prices well above MSRP with ps5, and not many games to play. Square is losing out on so many sales with this deal.

MS buys a prolific third party multiplatform publisher, which results in a plethora of franchises leaving the PS platform forever - people call that "adding value to Xbox".

Sony pays for timed exclusivity of a few games - people call that "shady deals".

Hypocrisy truly knows no bounds around here.
I'm sure it depends on platform loyalty right? MS isn't keeping any games from coming to PC. Sony is. So you're probably seeing a lot of PC centric players complaining about that.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

43iv8l.jpg

I think Pathfinder Wrath Of The Righteous and Baldur's Gate 3 with their character customization, rich story telling, and deep combat will hold me over just fine this Fall.

Last edited:

Unknown?

The ironic thing about this, was first final fantasy was out before PlayStation was even a thing.... And it wasn't just the first one, but several of the series released, before it ever came to PlayStation. If anything, it's a Nintendo first game. Which goes to show you, it's been on several different hardware.

Money hatting a game exclusivity is not for the players or the gamers. Until people realize that, we'll constantly run into this problem. Why was so many Sony fans upset about Bethesda acquisition? I thought exclusivity was a great thing, until that happened, right?

PC should never be affected by exclusivity nonetheless. History has shown that many of us would rather wait it out, or not get something at all, than to buy hardware for a single game, just to sell it a month or two later. Not really worth it at all, especially with prices well above MSRP with ps5, and not many games to play. Square is losing out on so many sales with this deal.
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I didn't mean FF was PS first, I was saying THIS particular title was announced as PS first since its announcement and FF7 has always been associated as a PS exclusive despite being on PC eventually.

Completely different from Tomb Raider or Bethesda taking a game already announced as multiplatform and makeing it exclusive or making decade old multiplatform franchises exclusive.

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I didn't mean FF was PS first, I was saying THIS particular title was announced as PS first since its announcement and FF7 has always been associated as a PS exclusive despite being on PC eventually.

Completely different from Tomb Raider or Bethesda taking a game already announced as multiplatform and makeing it exclusive or making decade old multiplatform franchises exclusive.
Exclusivity is still exclusivity. It sucks for gamers as a whole. But I understand why it's a thing for consoles. Not for PC though. Stuff like this sucks for open platforms, that are generally unaffected by consoles when it comes to exclusivity. There are many games that release day and date for Xbox/PC only or PS/PC only. Now Sony wants to put it's library on PC, yet pull a stunt like this?

Handel

has nothing to do with having a job.....

Sony getting games released on there Platform and only on there Platforms means no one else can get it so it jusifies them having a playstation.... thats what it means to take care of there customers... making sure its the only Place to play the best games, or offering games that cant be had anywhere else
d737bd76a59cdb82b80fe0c0dbbc5bad.jpg

Blatant console warrior mindset.

Unknown?

Exclusivity is still exclusivity. It sucks for gamers as a whole. But I understand why it's a thing for consoles. Not for PC though. Stuff like this sucks for open platforms, that are generally unaffected by consoles when it comes to exclusivity. There are many games that release day and date for Xbox/PC only or PS/PC only. Now Sony wants to put it's library on PC, yet pull a stunt like this?
Well Sony is only putting old games on PC or games that have a sequel releasing soon. It's more an experiment to entice PC gamers rather than good will.

Well Sony is only putting old games on PC or games that have a sequel releasing soon. It's more an experiment to entice PC gamers rather than good will.
Is there any factual data on this? I've heard many repeat this, but each time I've asked for proof, there is none. We only get games closer and closer to release, and there been no factual proof as to why this won't continue. If you got anything, please post it. I've been away from my computer for a while, so I could be completely wrong and might have missed breaking new info that would refute my claim.

Last edited:
Timed exclusives are by far the worst type of exclusives.
Instead of investing in something to give your system long lasting value, you are basically just buying some short term exclusives that in a year or two will loose any added value to your system.

As a Ms fan I'd be happy about the Bethesda acquisition because it means my console of choice will get a ton of exclusive content in the future.

As a Sony fan I'd be only marginally happy about this deal because I'd rather have Sony invest in giving me more games I can only experience on Playstation instead of games I just get to play first on Playstation but I could still eventually play on every other platform if I wait for a year or 2.

LOL if timed exclusive have no value why do other platforms that have to wait complain so much about it?

Krizalidx11

Banned
so 7 is timed but 16 is fully exclusive?

I was enjoying playing through them all on Game Pass.

16 will be timed too

SE is too big to be muscled like that, they can make money without Playstation platform, it's not 1997 i mean the switch and PC are enough to eclipse the PS4/PS5 sales of this game by a long shot

I really want to play this on PC, I also want to see things get modded. Having bought the 1st Class edition + pre-ordering Intergrade (I know, it's a free upgrade, but I wanted to support the dev even more) I can wait, but they really need to be getting on the ball already.

Graciaus

Zero interest in playing until the entire thing comes out anyway.

If I wanted to replay I'd do it with 7th Heaven and a bunch of mods again.

Monster Hunter Rise outsold it in just 5 weeks on the market.

I'd be willing to wager that FFVIIR is probably nearing 7-9 million copies sold by now. Also, Monster Hunter Rise probably owes nearly 80% of those sales thanks to the Nintendo Switch lol.

LMJ

Monster Hunter Rise outsold it in just 5 weeks on the market.

One is a single player Remake and the other is a massively successful multi-player series on the hot as fire switch

hell the mobile market is basically all that exists in Japan, where MHR sold 1.6 mill of that 5 mill + figure (probably even more now)

it still doesn't take away that FF7 remake has sold nearly 7 million games (physical +digital) or take away the mindshare that Sony built on it

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Honestly, if you were very interested in the FF franchise in the first place, you’d be getting a PlayStation.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I regret having bought this game last year. Seriously overhyped with terrible combat (imo of course).

I recommend PC bros just wait until 2035 when the full game is done.

Bethesda games were coming to Xbox before
Yeah yeah just like Ghostwire, Deathloop and possible Starfield with FF that exclusivity could be extended.
Now imagine what was gonna happen if TES or Fallout were to release. Nah.

The point, which many Xbox fanboys are surprisingly incapable of grasping, is the hypocrisy of it all.
Hypocrisy in what? With MS you can play their games on everything that has browser and Android (and now even iOS).
With Playstation - 500$ console and maybe, just maybe PC.

Of course it might be another situation where people claimed that you don't need Xbox because I can play everything on PC, but as soon as MS made it so - suddenly people lost their PCs or something. At least I hope every Playstation user has TV.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't want a PS and is waiting on this port, but it feels like there isn't any hype left for this one? Like just about everyone who wanted it already owns it?

I don't really understand the "wait till the full game is done" comments. Was Mass Effect 1 not a full game?

Remake 1 is a full game. Remake 2 will also be a full game and possibly make its own changes and additions. This remake is an "adaptation" of an old game. People making these comments are just as dumb as the people who think "durr 3 discs game means it has to be three games".

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Microsoft buys Bethesda.
"Yay! Good job Phil. Now those same games will continue to be on Xbox, but not on PlayStation!"

Sony does third-party deals.
"Shady Sony. Now those games will continue to be on PlayStation, but not on Xbox. You bullies!"
What about Sony buying insomniac? Not as big a studio obviously but it’s not any different.

Corndog

Banned
It's hilarious how PC gamers want empathy because they feel entitled to every game on their platform but they show no empathy when Microsoft buys entire publishers to keep games off Playstation.
I thought they bought them for content for game pass. I have heard Xbox has no exclusive games so maybe this was Xbox getting exclusive games.

Eh....I think buying one independent studio that you already have a long decade-old relationship is a bit different then buying a major third party publisher complete with it's own development studios.

Corndog

Banned
Eh....I think buying one independent studio that you already have a long decade-old relationship is a bit different then buying a major third party publisher complete with it's own development studios.
Microsoft has a decades long relationship with Bethesda as well. They are just different sized deals.

Top Bottom