• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will most likely come to PC in 2022 as Playstation exclusivity is extended

Mato

why it has to be always "fanboys" ?

Reurnal 80€ is not true, posted it before

H46Tcgk.jpg

Sure it is. Returnal 80€ is pretty much standard, at least here in Greece.
o4MR0qz.png

yurinka

Where it's the source that mentions that the timed exclusive has been extended? As I remember, they said that the FFVIIR episodes would have a year of PS exclusive. This doesn't mean the other versions will be released exactly 1 year after the original release. It means that if there are ports coming, they can start to be released that date.

FFVIIR was released a year ago, so if the PC version could be released this year.
FFVIIR Intergrade was released this April on PS, so starting April 2022 could be released in other platforms.
If FFVII episode 2 gets released in 2022 or 2023 on PS, then starting a year later could be released in other platforms.
etc.

BootsLoader

Banned
Lost to will to care about FF7 honestly, If Square sees fair to withold games from PC gamers for many years, i can backlog them for many years as well. What goes around comes around.
Well, I mean the original FFVII was exclusive and went multiplat after many years so i guess theres no prob after all.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wonder if chapter 2 will also be a timed exclusive on PlayStation or if it will be released simultaneously on all platforms.

K' Dash

Square is one of the most incompetent devs out there, it will be nice to see them go under in flames and Sony buying them for lose change, maybe then they will be able to make a good game again.

I'm putting down $10 that say they'll be bankrup or sold before the final part of FFVIIR is done.

yazenov

I wonder if chapter 2 will also be a timed exclusive on PlayStation or if it will be released simultaneously on all platforms.

100% Guaranteed to be timed exclusive or fully exclusive. Sony is in a much stronger position with the PS5 than they were with the PS4. PS5s all literally flying off the shelves.

Its much easier to secure exclusives when your consoles are in such a high demand, and your competition is in a distant 3rd place. Its much easier to negotiate exclusive deals when games sell the most in your platform. 90% to 10% software sales in favor of PS5 for Jrpgs will have your voice heard in the negotiation meeting rooms. Furthermore, Sony will get lots of exclusives deals at a bargain given their dominance worldwide.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the "wait till the full game is done" comments. Was Mass Effect 1 not a full game?
ME1 was a full game every ME game has a ending of sort every game was written like it would be the last in the trilogy metal gear soild was the same same RE2 remake is the full game of re2 re1 remake is the same thing ff7r is barely the 1st part of ff7 ff7 is more than midgar
Yes and? I mean we can punch holes in "RE2 is a full remake" because it misses b scenarios, but that's really not the point. The only reason you are saying it's not a full game is based purely on the fact that a game from 1997 exists. VIIR is not a game from 97. It's a new game that is an adaptation of that game. Remakes can do whatever the hell they want and this one wants to expand the story to multiple games. VIIR is a full game. It doesn't tell the complete story of VII, but it's not lacking anything itself. It completes the Midgar chapter and is written and made as if it is the first part of a series. It's not designed, structured, paced, and whatnot as if "pops this is an abrupt end". As a game it feels complete.
Microsoft funded an insomniac game right?
Yes and? Again the point is that comparing the purchase of one independent developer to a Publisher is pretty stupid.

Microsoft buys Bethesda.
"Yay! Good job Phil. Now those same games will continue to be on Xbox, but not on PlayStation!"

Sony does third-party deals.
"Shady Sony. Now those games will continue to be on PlayStation, but not on Xbox. You bullies!"
Your dumb post only works when you are not the first person to say
Sony does third-party deals.
"Shady Sony. Now those games will continue to be on PlayStation, but not on Xbox. You bullies!
Should have waited a bit longer

FritzJ92

It's the same thing. MS paid for timed exclusivity and then published the game during that period.
Sony isn’t publishing anything. MS publishing the games offset costs to the developers. Sony only paid for exclusivity. Really aren’t the same thing. But street fighter is a proper comparison to what happened with Tomb Raider.

Dodkrake

Banned
Sony isn’t publishing anything. MS publishing the games offset costs to the developers. Sony only paid for exclusivity. Really aren’t the same thing. But street fighter is a proper comparison to what happened with Tomb Raider.

MS paid for exclusivity which most likely included publishing. The PS4 version is published by Square Enix.

Stop trying to justify a change in opinion based on platform. Timed exclusives suck ass no matter who does it, and here we read Xbox apologists trying to spin it like if the company they "support" didn't just buy some of the biggest studios out there and started the whole timed exclusive war.

FritzJ92

MS paid for exclusivity which most likely included publishing. The PS4 version is published by Square Enix.

Stop trying to justify a change in opinion based on platform. Timed exclusives suck ass no matter who does it, and here we read Xbox apologists trying to spin it like if the company they "support" didn't just buy some of the biggest studios out there and started the whole timed exclusive war.
I never said I liked timed exclusives. I never supported anything about them. I hate them all equally.
My point is just the best comparison to make to Tomb Raider is Street Fighter. Not FF.
By the way times exclusives crap started With the PS2/GameCube era. It isn’t some new thing going on now.

Last edited:

linkroi

It will surely be an Epic exclusive too, so 2023 to be more specific. I hope not, but since Kingdom hearts is an exclusivity for the moment and The World ends with you too, we can assume that it would be the case for FF 7.​

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned

It will surely be an Epic exclusive too, so 2023 to be more specific. I hope not, but since Kingdom hearts is an exclusivity for the moment and The World ends with you too, we can assume that it would be the case for FF 7.​

The world ends with you 2 is an exclusive?

hroerekr

They can make some "guaranteed" money with these Sony deals, but in the long run there is no advantage for the FinalFantasy brand and the future of the IP to not be on PC.
Over time they only loose mind-share amongst new generations.

Last edited:

ShadowDurza

Neo Member
Oh man. And I love Nomura games too... At least I've got the KH Collection PC ports, which I am loving (But they still should have RE:Coded and 358/2 Days. Grr...)

Corndog

Banned
Yes and? I mean we can punch holes in "RE2 is a full remake" because it misses b scenarios, but that's really not the point. The only reason you are saying it's not a full game is based purely on the fact that a game from 1997 exists. VIIR is not a game from 97. It's a new game that is an adaptation of that game. Remakes can do whatever the hell they want and this one wants to expand the story to multiple games. VIIR is a full game. It doesn't tell the complete story of VII, but it's not lacking anything itself. It completes the Midgar chapter and is written and made as if it is the first part of a series. It's not designed, structured, paced, and whatnot as if "pops this is an abrupt end". As a game it feels complete.

Yes and? Again the point is that comparing the purchase of one independent developer to a Publisher is pretty stupid.
You are entitled to your opinion.

NahaNago

Why don't they just make this full exclusive. Seems odd.
Probably cost too much, plus getting exclusivity for the first year nearly kills it on all other consoles and will have a couple of youtubers play it on playstation rather than pc. Then again 80% percent of sales were going to be on playstation anyways.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
For how big you “think” final fantasy 7 would be, with all the games and media movies etc i would imagine square would want this to be as available to as many fans as possible. Seems. A really shit move. It must have been one hell of a truck full of cash that Sony reversed up to square...

...or maybe people don’t really care about this remake as much as we thought :/

Mattyp

Gold Member
If you want to play FF games, get a PlayStation, easy as that!

But they play better on xbox 🤔

All said but, I honestly couldn’t give a fuck about this game at this point, I don’t care about Sony paying for exclusivity that’s the industry they both do it. But it has the tomb raider feel of it now it’s gone on so long, I don’t know if extending the deal achieved anymore sales of Sony hardware? Or was just knee jerk of Bethesda and MLB.

Alcibiades

I never owned a Playstation and have never played FFVII.

With a remake I might actually be interested in seeing what all the fuss was about, especially if they get it on Switch or Switch Pro at some point (although I'd probably settle for PC).

But at this point having multiple games is off-putting and confusing. Will I need to play them all to get the real experience, or is the first one good enough?

Also, is DLC necessary?

Like, the only way I'd consider it at this point is if a few years from now they released a "complete" version of all the FFVII games in one package with all DLC included.

Corndog

Banned
But they play better on xbox 🤔

All said but, I honestly couldn’t give a fuck about this game at this point, I don’t care about Sony paying for exclusivity that’s the industry they both do it. But it has the tomb raider feel of it now it’s gone on so long, I don’t know if extending the deal achieved anymore sales of Sony hardware? Or was just knee jerk of Bethesda and MLB.
Both companies are trying to fill voids and deny the other from doing the same. A lot of momentum is generated in the first couple years of a console generation.
Hopefully a few years from now things will settle down.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Bethesda games were coming to Xbox before. Microsoft buying Bethesda doesn't change their game line-up in the slightest. They only bought them to cockblock Sony. Xbox fans praise this move.

Sony makes timed exclusive deals for games that would come out to their systems anyway. Sony making those deals doesn't change their game line-up in the slightest. They only do those deals to temporarily cockblock Microsoft. Xbox fans condemn this move.

The point, which many Xbox fanboys are surprisingly incapable of grasping, is the hypocrisy of it all.

Not really, at least not right away. Sony already moneyhatted 2 Bethesda games; Ghostswire and Deathloop and was trying to moneyhat Starfield.

I'm so happy Xbox bought Bethesda so instead of waiting a year or 2 to play a new IP from my favorite WRPG developer, it's now exclusive to Xbox/PC and will also be day 1 on Game Pass.

Personally, I couldn't care less if FF7R never comes to Xbox since I can't stand Japanime RPGs. It is too bad for the people that really love FF but like Bryank75 Bryank75 said if you can't wait to play it, buy a PS5.

At this point I’m wondering why you would not own a Playstation if you’re a FF or JRPG fan. They are always guaranteed to get exclusive FF games due to their close ties and relationship and this has been the case for decades. Just go out and get a used Playstation if money is an issue. I don’t understand why people run to forums to whine about stuff like this. I own a PS5 and PC so I don’t miss out on these big AAA games so for me port begging is a foreign concept. I just buy whatever system has a game I want to play because I know these types of deals and exclusives are inevitable.

Top Bottom