• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest Review Thread

Teknoman

sold 472k its first week and got a 39/40 from Famitsu (lulz Famitsu)

Fairly well received. And yeah, they can bounce back next-generation quite easily, but far from slowly dying.

Hmm, in that case it would be nice if they would at least give us a digital release...but I guess that probably wont be happening. Never thought i'd see an FF game not see a universal release these days.

Of course i'm still waiting for the SaGa DS remakes. Taking a long time with FFX remaster too...and DQX english release lol.

Haunted

Each character costs 0.99 USD, the game 3.99 USD and each extra world 3.99 USD.
There's 35 characters, so if he bought all characters and that's 34,95USD + 3.99 USD.
Amazing.

I assumed it was even worse and they allowed you to get doubles with the random characters you buy.

A brand so powerful no matter how shit the fans would purchase it.
and defend it! I respect Wazzy for at least realising that he's been fucked over by S-E with this.

Alright it sucks ass, but please don't be too harsh on those of us who blindly bought it. It had 16-bit sprite Auron for fuck's sake. 16-BIT SPRITE AURON. I'm only human, dammit!

it's actually taken so many individual battles with the final boss to beat him, that I've managed to play through the majority of the new Devil May Cry whilst waiting for my characters to return each time.

Eusis

Why would you buy all those characters? lol

You have only yourself to blame. You can finish the game and enjoy it equally without dropping a single cent.
Except, you know, the $4 to buy it.

And bullshit at dismissing those reviews as sensationalist: THEY'RE REVIEWS. You can get some amusement out of Big Rigs, I expect the GameSpot crew really did, but that doesn't mean it's protected from being torn to pieces for being a completely broken wreck of a game when seriously evaluated, and the same applies here: Maybe you can get some cheap thrill out of watching FF sprites fly around like crazy and seeing 32-bit+ stuff converted to pixel work, certainly I'd be happy to watch some Youtube videos compiling the best parts, but as a game it deserves no quarter, and as a potential business model it should be held up as an abhorrent abomination that, at an extreme, can displace or even kill the kinds of games that we came to the hobby for, albeit most likely on a company-by-company basis rather than industry wide.

Spierek

I was just about to say.. why hasn't Nomura left Square Enix yet? Is he too scared to lose his babies and start anew?

Because he still has to make TWEWY2.

And, seriously, the guy's credited as "concept designer", which probably means that he's thought up the battle system that is credited as the only decent/good thing about ATB. He probably had nothing to do with that ridiculous micropayment system.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
shrug.gif
Im just being realistic. No one is forcing you to buy the game anyway. Its a ok game for what it is supposed to achieve. Its not a full fledged RPG, but then again if you were expecting it to be I am starting to doubt your sanity. I mean, no one plays them on mobile phones for hours... thats why we have portable devices especific for gaming. And being honest despite the gameplay being kinda dull, the concept is interesting, there is a sense of progress, you dont NEED to buy the extra characters to finish the game, they are just EXTRA, there are things to collect and the spritework is really well done. There is music from all the FF's and characters alike. The basic price is convinient. People are just making it seems like a big deal when it really isn't...

reading your posts is way more enjoyable than playing the game

Cwarrior

Square enix taking advantage of weak minded very insane FF fans, it's a new low even for them.

Unfortunately I can see this becoming a huge success for them.

Could be the start of very fiendish trend in the industry among publishers evil enough to do the same.

Alchemy

And American's will give Square more money for this because it is on their phone instead of buying games like FF Type 0 and Bravely Default.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
From people who've played it, how's the balancing in this?

Do you feel that it's balanced so that you'll die sometimes or often, or is it evenly balanced where if you have more characters, your chances of victory increase? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Edit: I find it odd that you enter battles with a randomly-chosen party, as if your skillsets don't seem to matter or whatever FF characters you choose (who could probably provide defensive or attack passive skills in other games) simply don't factor in battle outside of what animations they may execute.

I have to say, though, that I like the battle backgrounds--it's interesting to see the 3D FFs in 2D like that.

LuuKyK

From people who've played it, how's the balancing in this?

Do you feel that it's balanced so that you'll die sometimes or often, or is it evenly balanced where if you have more characters, your chances of victory increase? I'm genuinely curious about this.

Im level 60, and I think your max. party is of 32 members but you keep receiving new classes. They enter randomly in your party btw. Each battle has four stages with different monsters. In each of these four the dead characters are replaced randomly by other classes. The premium characters you bought are fixed though. The fact that you cant choose which characters you include help balacing things. I died a few times in the seventh stage, so I recommend grinding a bit before facing the bosses. I think its pretty well balanced.

Dennis

Banned
Once upon a time in a far away land there was this company, Square, that made JRPGs that I wanted to play.

Now there are all these bizarre Final Fantasy games that are like tears in the rain.

Oh, and Bravely Default which is the one I really want to play. Can I play it? No.

zashga

Wow, this looks really terrible. All of the characters just attack when you tap them? Are there any distinguishing traits at all besides the sprites?

Wazzy

Banned
Each character costs 0.99 USD, the game 3.99 USD and each extra world 3.99 USD.
There's 35 characters, so if she bought all characters and the game that's 34,95USD + 3.99 USD.
Just fixing that but otherwise, yeah I spent about 30$. Awful decision on my part. I don't even get to pick my party so I'm rarely even using the characters I bought the game for.

a) A game

Yeah, okay. Let's say they reviewed it because it's a game. Fair enough. It's not like I am disagreeing with the scores or anything under the premise that the reviewers apparently expected a full fledged Final Fantasy game. The game is too short, too simple and the IAP are simply a cash-in, I agree with all of that.

But still:
WHY EVEN REVIEWING IT?

It feels like all the reviewers have a still agreement on bashing Square Enix for their tasteless yet not illegal milking of the franchise and their general mobile apps policy. I am not at all siding with Square Enix here, I just think the reviews are stupid. Under that premise IGN should review every Farting Sound Generator-App as well.

CSX

Just fixing that but otherwise, yeah I spent about 30$. Awful decision on my part. I don't even get to pick my party so I'm rarely even using the characters I bought the game for.

holy shit especially at not even getting to pick the characters you actually wanted to use

2San

You don't get to pick your party? You sure?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Wow, so they've essentially put out a game with mechanics that are pretty much just like those bubblewrap apps, and then want to charge you for the lack of any meaningful gameplay.

Oh SE, what has happened to you.

The might suck, but for Kotaku to say the franchise is dying a slow death is a little much. Its only really started it's "bad" streak this generation (or last, whatever PS3/360/Wii belong to). And even then I believe it's only outside japan...

I think Final Fantasy is slowly dying, especially to western audiences, FF13 has sold less across two platforms than FF10 did across one, and FF10 came out at the beginning of the generation and not half way through it. A quick look at some numbers and FF10-2 has apparently done better than FF13 on Playstation consoles, the way SE have been about the numbers for FF13-2 it seemingly hasn't passed a million in either the 3 main regions.

The series used to be this big name to gloat about, the fuss over FF13 going to 360 was crazy across gaming forums and sites, but I can't see MS or Sony using Final Fantasy as one of their big names next-gen for anything, exclusive or otherwise.

And personally as a fan of the series growing up, the whole thing just saddens me that a series I loved has turned to crap in the last few years.

NFreak

This is pretty disgusting. A game with absolutely no substance with this type of model. But aren't a whole lot of mobile/social games based around this exact same model?

Yeah, okay. Let's say they reviewed it because it's a game. Fair enough. It's not like I am disagreeing with the scores or anything under the premise that the reviewers apparently expected a full fledged Final Fantasy game. The game is too short, too simple and the IAP are simply a cash-in, I agree with all of that.

But still:
WHY EVEN REVIEWING IT?

It feels like all the reviewers have a still agreement on bashing Square Enix for their tasteless yet not illegal milking of the franchise and their general mobile apps policy. I am not at all siding with Square Enix here, I just think the reviews are stupid. Under that premise IGN should review every Farting Sound Generator-App as well.

Huh? Don't square enix stuff review decently on ign? I'm pretty sure chaos rings was their iOS GOTY before.

LuuKyK

Does it even matter who is in your party? Its seems like everyone just uses an attack that causes equal damage. Your party might as well be nothing but Fighters.

It does. You unlock different weapons that drop from each mosnter that alter the damage done by each class. Each class is very unique.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The fact that you cant choose which characters you include help balacing things. I died a few times in the seventh stage, so I recommend grinding a bit before facing the bosses. I think its pretty well balanced.

do you work for square?

Top Bottom