• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius has some amazing character design

Vex_

Banned
Don't worry op. I like the designs too.

But not because they are unique. In fact, that is why I like them so much. Not everything needs to be unique. Sometimes just looking cool in a typical way is alright too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I kinda think that was OPs point, he enjoys the "standard" jrpg hero design and is happy that the game has it

I love the in-game sprites, op, don't worry. I think they really nailed the character looks with them. Also agree about the text being pretty entertaining.

Don't worry op. I like the designs too.

But not because they are unique. In fact, that is why I like them so much. Not everything needs to be unique. Sometimes just looking cool in a typical way is alright too.
These guys get it. They remind me a bit of Dragon Quest protagonists - simple, VERY "generic Toriyama" style characters, but also very endearing because of that.

21771_Dragon_Quest_388137.jpg
dragonquest8_conceptart_w2QLH.jpg
dqxihero.jpg

HvySky

Kingsglaive is how I would love to have the FFXV main cast look like, in terms of character and outfit design. Sorry, OP, the BE designs aren't bad but aren't terribly inspired either.

True Fire

Looks like the love child of Star Ocean and Final Fantasy VII

These guys get it. They remind me a bit of Dragon Quest protagonists - simple, VERY "generic Toriyama" style characters, but also very endearing because of that.

Final Fantasy is supposed to have a different aesthetic with each game though. The problem is that Final Fantasy VII was too popular for its own good and VIII, X, and XIII have all tried to copy it. Not only that, pretty much every PS2/PS3 JRPG from other studios has tried to copy Final Fantasy VII to a lesser extent.

These designs look like relics of the shitty derivative "belts, big swords and pretty boys" era

Alucrid

Banned
stole clothes from serah but wants to be a white mage

just graduated from class zero but thought that half capes were cooler than full capes

zach with the fashion taste of a non bdsm caius

img_562483bfd0f95.png

This? If I saw this, I would never guess FF. That's how generic it is and how common these kind of art are in mobile games.

So looking at what is clearly Amano art for JRPG protagonists doesn't make you think of FF?

That's just silly.

Not a huge fan of the designs myself, but I don't think they are bad either. I like this style more than most of the recent FF games, outside of FFXIV which I feel has exceptional character designs.

I'm going to completely forget every single one of these designs in less than 24 hours.

JRPG char designs are never going to be consistently decent are they?

Is Amanos style even considered Manga? His Final Fantasy artwork looks so different from a lot of manga/anime styles! Is there others who have the same style as him?

Shinkawa is another one where I feel like the designs look very unique;

I know fuck all about hand drawn illustrations so I might be asking this in very poor terms.

Visceir

Love the game but don't really care much for those designs tbh.

Now the sprite-work on the other hand -- so good.
ZE6ZI7d.gif
unit_ills_206000203.png
gXpENb7.gif

Myze

The sprite work is great in the game, and looks like they put real effort into it.

Yes, the CG versions are generic, but unless far more CG cutscenes show up later on, I don't see that it matters since we never see them, not even a more detailed character portrait. Only ones I've seen are the starting 3 second look at Rain/Lasswell and the Siren/Ifrit summoning. Actually, I think that's probably a good reason WHY they aren't more complex or unique, because it would be a waste of time.

The designs look a bit narmy to me personally, but it's still interesting to see what designs are being used in other FF games, as I haven't been keeping track of Brave Exvius. As people have said, the CG models really remind me of Star Ocean. The Amano art is a bit better. (I did have to laugh, I'm used to female characters getting stuck with 'boob windows', but a belly button window is a new one. Navel window? Hmm.)

That sprite work looks lovely, though.

So looking at what is clearly Amano art for JRPG protagonists doesn't make you think of FF?

That's just silly.

Not a huge fan of the designs myself, but I don't think they are bad either. I like this style more than most of the recent FF games, outside of FFXIV which I feel has exceptional character designs.

The Amano versions look like FF characters. But the renders above (other than the armored guy) look far more like they belong in Star Ocean or some other far more anime-inspired series than FF.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I like the Kingsglaive designs better than the first picture posted.

Yeah, me too frankly...

First looks like the usual JRPG flair. Second, while nothing special, looks atleast somewhat more interesting. And FFXV would look perfect if the game was going to be a big fun ridiculous time with a bunch of J-Pop male models and not yet another poorly written self-serious melodrama...

Top Bottom