• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
pCDjQoZ.png

Welcome Heroes of Light and Warriors of Darkness to GAF's Final Fantasy Community thread. This thread is designed as a catch-all to discuss anything and everything within the franchise from music, games, toys, and more. A few things to note:

1.) Let's try to avoid endless negativity and bitching. This is a thread to have fun and discuss what we love about the franchise.
2.) If you post a lot of pictures and/or gifs at once, please put them in spoilers or quotes.

VPet8sA.png

Synopsis: Princess Sarah of Cornelia was abducted by the disgraced former knight, Garland. Four heroes, each carrying a darkened crystal orb, set forth on their adventure.

Platform(s): Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom, MSX, WonderSwan Color, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Mobile Phone, PlayStation Portable, Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation Network, iOS, Windows Phone, Android, Nintendo 3DS eShop, NES Classic

Thread(s): 30th Anniversary |

Video(s): ProJared | Resonant Arc | SomeCallMeJohnny |

bVfYGcN.png

Synopsis: "A long-lived peace...is at an end. The emperor of Palamecia has called forth monsters from the underworld... and has begun his campaign for world conquest. A rebel army arose in the Kingdom of Fynn to thwart the emperor's plan. But the rebels' castle fell to an all-out assault by the empire. Left with little choice, the rebels withdrew to the remote town of Altair. Four youths from Fynn also found themselves fleeing the imperial forces. They had lost their parents at the hands of the empire. But their escape wasn't over..."

Platform(s): Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom, MSX, WonderSwan Color, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Mobile Phone, PlayStation Portable, Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android

Thread(s):

Video(s):
ProJared | Resonant Arc | SomeCallMeJohnny |

wIYBJxY.png

Synopsis: The Gulgan thus prophesied: "The earthquake was only the beginning. The great tremors that swallowed the crystals, the light of our world, only to spawn monsters from the depths of the scarred land, are nothing but harbingers of what has yet to come. Something is coming...fathomless, ominous, and full of sorrow... But hope is not yet lost. Four souls will be blessed with light, and so it shall begin..."

Platform(s): Famicom, Nintendo DS, iOS, iPad, Android, PlayStation Portable, Ouya, Windows Phone, Steam, Classic Mini Famicom

Thread(s): 30th Anniversary |

Video(s): ProJared | Resonant Arc | SomeCallMeJohnny |

3arqE6l.png

Synopsis: "After questioning his king, the dark knight Cecil was stripped of his command as the captain of the Red Wings. He and the master dragoon Kain head toward the dark valley for the village of Mist. The advent of the airship marked the realization of Baron's dreams, but also the birth of its militarism. With its Royal Air Force Red Wings, Baron soon reigned supreme. Now, as monsters multiply and stir unrest, Baron only exploits its power to collect the world's Crystals. Why? The Crystals silently shed their light..."

Platform(s): SNES/Super Famicom, PlayStation, WonderSwan Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Wii Virtual Console, Mobile Phones, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android, Steam, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS

Thread(s):

Video(s):
ProJared | Resonant Arc |

yMJ5mFB.png

Synopsis: "Fire, Water, Wind, Earth. The peace and prosperity of the world is thanks to the power of these crystals. However...that power is nearing its limit. Not far off is the day when the wind slows...the water stills...and the earth trembles and quakes...and yet, everyone remains blissfully unaware...and the grave secret hidden within the crystals remain untold..."

Platform(s): Super Famicom, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Wii Virtual Console, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android, Steam

Thread(s):

Video(s)
: ProJared | Resonant Arc |

9Zzyru0.png

Synopsis: "The ancient War of the Magi... When its flames at last receded, only the charred husk of a world remained. Even the power of magic was lost... In thousand years that followed, iron, gunpowder, and steam engines took the place of magic, and life slowly returned to the barren land... Yet there now stands one who would reawaken the magic of ages past, and use its dread power as a means by which to conquer all the world... Could anyone truly be foolish enough to repeat that mistake?"

Platform(s): SNES, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, Android, iOS, SNES Classic Edition

Thread(s):

Video(s):
ProJared | Resonant Arc |

CX0skgc.png

Synopsis: What begins as a rebellion against an evil corporation becomes much more. And what erupts goes beyond imagination.

Platform(s): PlayStation, PC, PlayStation Network, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Dive In, PlayStation Classic

Thread(s): Remake OT |

Video(s): ProJared (Original) | ProJared (Remake) | Resonant Arc (Original) |

4RYln70.png

Synopsis: A member of an elite military force, Squall is forced into conflict beyond imagination. To survive, he must contend with a desperate rival, a powerful sorceress, and his own mysterious dreams.

Platform(s): PlayStation, PC, PlayStation Network, PlayStation 4, iOS, Android, Dive In, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One

Thread(s):

Video(s):
Resonant Arc | ProJared |

MS6hN7E.png

Synopsis: The theater group Tantalus arrives in Alexandria to perform a play, but behind the scenes, a plot to kidnap Princess Garnet takes place. The fates of numerous people begin to converge and their ideals will clash throughout this once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Platform(s):PlayStation, PlayStation Network, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, Xbox One, iOS, Android

Thread(s): LTTP | 20 Years | Anniversary Interview | LTTP2 |

Video(s): Resonant Arc |

qxN8b4K.png

Synopsis: The world lies on the brink of destruction. Sin, a god-like being, risk destroying all life on planet. A young summoner is off on a pilgrimage to stop the onslaught with her guardians.

Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation Network, iOS, Android, PC, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One

Thread(s): RTTP | Fuck Me, What a Great Game |

YLHorHi.png

Synopsis: Vana'diel is a world on the brink of war. Three powerful nations rally their troops against the beastmen in a desperate bid for survival.

Platform(s): PlayStation 2, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360

Thread(s):

Video(s):

Wn1OqDA.png

Synopsis: As war looms on the horizon, the mighty Archadian Empire begins a campaign to subjugate its neighbors. The small kingdom of Dalmasca was one such neighbor, and it is here that our tale begins. In a fight for freedom, fallen royalty and unlikely allies must struggle to liberate their homeland. Trace the mysteries behind the Empire's invasion and unmask the players in a drama of justice and betrayal.

Platform(s): PlayStation 2, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC

Thread(s):

Video(s):
Resonant Arc |

phLbNvt.png

Synopsis: Cocoon, a human paradise, floats above the world of Pulse. When an ancient entity of Pulse origin awakens on the outskirts of a Cocoon city, paradise is threatened from within. Chosen by destiny, six must choose between saving mankind, and saving themselves.

Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Steam, iOS, Android

Thread(s): RTTP | Is XIII bad? |

ta5rtvP.png

Synopsis: Eorzea. A land embraced by Gods and forged by Heroes. A realm full of danger and glory, where the life of an adventurer is the pursuit of fame and fortune.

Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Mac, PC

Thread(s): Is XIV worth playing in 2021? | OT |

Video(s): SomeCallMeJohnny (A Realm Reborn) |

vQyjy9L.png

Synopsis: For hundreds of years Lucis and Niflheim have been at war. While many lands have been lost to the empire, the Lucian capital of Insomnia remains untouched due to the Wall, a transparent magic barrier maintained by the king and the Crystal's magic. Peace talks have begun in hopes of bringing an end to the conflict, one of the conditions being a marriage of Prince Noctis and Lady Lunafreya, the Oracle.

Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Stadia

Thread(s): RTTP | LTTP |

Video(s):

Attachments

• pCDjQoZ.png
    pCDjQoZ.png
    755.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not a big fan of the series, but I'm currently going through V and I'm really enjoying the ATB system and the jobs, as having that much customization is a lot of fun.

It really pisses me off i completely missed the ff11 train and played wow in stead.

I thought 14 1.0 was going to be an updated version of it, but it wasn’t. What I’d give to properly play 11.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I feel very honoured you included my 20th Anniversary thread of FF IX in the OT. 🥰🥰🥰

I'm looking forward to what Yoshi-P and his team can bring with FF XVI and I haven't been optimistic about an upcoming Final Fantasy since I was a teenager.

As am I! Shadowbringers has been some of the most gripping narrative in the franchise in years. If they can deliver even half of that with the next mainline installment, I will be very happy.

Not a big fan of the series, but I'm currently going through V and I'm really enjoying the ATB system and the jobs, as having that much customization is a lot of fun.

If you are enjoying V, then I also suggest you try out III, which introduced the Job System to the franchise. Tactics also utilizes it in a unique way, so if you have an itch for well told narratives in strategy rpgs then that may be right up your alley! Otherwise you could also try the Bravely Default series as they are spinoffs of Final Fantasy. Currently playing through Bravely Default II myself (Just reached Rimedhall) and am enjoying my time with it.

Last edited:
As am I! Shadowbringers has been some of the most gripping narrative in the franchise in years. If they can deliver even half of that with the next mainline installment, I will be very happy.

If you are enjoying V, then I also suggest you try out III, which introduced the Job System to the franchise. Tactics also utilizes it in a unique way, so if you have an itch for well told narratives in strategy rpgs then that may be right up your alley! Otherwise you could also try the Bravely Default series as they are spinoffs of Final Fantasy. Currently playing through Bravely Second myself (Just reached Rimedhall) and am enjoying my time with it.
Hey thanks for the recommendation! I played III (DS) like 10 or more years ago, and I remember enjoying it but not being able to beat it. I don't remember being too go at the game so I might give it another chance.

All the Bravely games are in my backlog, and I already have the first one ready to play. I've heard pretty good things about it's battle and job systems so I can't wait to try those out. :)

alf717

Final Fantasy played a huge role in getting me into RPGs. I'm no longer a fan of the current games but I really enjoy playing and watching speedruns of the classics. I've yet to give FF3 an honest go and look forward to when I do get the chance. Thanks for putting this thread together. I love looking back at some of the greatest RPGs of all time. Wish we could get a classic collection some day on Switch like the Mana collection.

DelireMan7

This series always fascinated me. Even before playing my first FF, I was in awe in front of VIII and IX pictures and video.

Liked most of the one I have played. Still some to go but not interested in pre VI for now.

Games played (in order) :
X, X-2, VII, XV, VI and XII.

X is my favourite and XII the least favorite so far.
X was my first real RPG and I was blown away playing it.

Next will be XIII most probably. Long time that I have an eye on it.

Really hyped for XVI.

Nice thread;)

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Best part of FF (besides it being too good) is that Ive played a lot of FF games but there are still tons I havent played, even from the main series.

Really not sure which is the next one I will play. I'm kind of leaning towards 8.

Main games I have completed

5, 6, 7, 10

Last edited:
Nice to have a general FF community thread. I was looking to post in the FFXI OT earlier today but realized it was locked and I am too lazy to make a new one.
In any case, I actually did the unthinkable and resubbed to this 18 year old game. I've been utilizing the free login periods to chip away at the story over the past few years, but I just NEEDED to know what happened next. And so, SE won and got my $13 lol
It really pisses me off i completely missed the ff11 train and played wow in stead.

I thought 14 1.0 was going to be an updated version of it, but it wasn’t. What I’d give to properly play 11.
XI hasn't gone anywhere, and playing it right now isn't an "improper" way to play it at all.

The only thing that has truly changed in XI from then and now is the absolute necessity to group up, because the game has NPCs to fill out your party now. And nothing's stopping you from grouping up with other players if you want to.

In my opinion, the only barriers to FFXI in 2021 are:
- patience & tolerance for archaic early-MMO game design
- paying a monthly sub for a nearly 20 year old game (this still hurts me lmao)

They've even streamlined the installation process recently.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Best part of FF (besides it being too good) is that Ive played a lot of FF games but there are still tons I havent played, even from the main series.

Really not sure which is the next one I will play. I'm kind of leaning towards 8.

Main games I have completed

5, 6, 7, 10
8 is definitely the weirdest game in the series and the gameplay mechanics are broken is hell. Also has a god-tier soundtrack, memorable characters, and a really unique and visually striking setting.

IMO this game is peak Tetsuya Nomura character designs.

JayK47

I have been a fan of the series since the SNES games. I would say that FF3 for the SNES (FF6 in Japan) is still my favorite. I even have the soundtrack. The music was fantastic in that game and I don't think any game since has done better. It was weird to find out that they had different numbering in Japan and the US and now that some of the previously unreleased Japanese versions have been released, it is a mess. I have skipped the online games, but have otherwise at least tried to play every release since the SNES. FF12 for whatever reason did not click for me and that was one of the few FF games I did not play through to the end. I actually really enjoyed FF15. That was a surprising entry to the series. If I had more time, I would try FF12 now that I can play it on PC with updated graphics.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Final Fantasy played a huge role in getting me into RPGs. I'm no longer a fan of the current games but I really enjoy playing and watching speedruns of the classics. I've yet to give FF3 an honest go and look forward to when I do get the chance. Thanks for putting this thread together. I love looking back at some of the greatest RPGs of all time. Wish we could get a classic collection some day on Switch like the Mana collection.

I hope so as well! My dream would be a compilation of every version of the game, including developer interviews, restored trailers and commercials, and behind the scenes concept art. So the NES/Famicom games would get a collection with the various remakes, remasters, ports and all the translations of each in tact. Then the SNES and PS1 3D Trilogy. Though this sadly won't ever happen as that would require more time and effort out of Square and seeing how they just ported over the mobile versions of DQ 1-3 onto a switch cart, we probably will get somethings similar for Final Fantasy.

Nice to have a general FF community thread. I was looking to post in the FFXI OT earlier today but realized it was locked and I am too lazy to make a new one.
In any case, I actually did the unthinkable and resubbed to this 18 year old game. I've been utilizing the free login periods to chip away at the story over the past few years, but I just NEEDED to know what happened next. And so, SE won and got my $13 lol

XI hasn't gone anywhere, and playing it right now isn't an "improper" way to play it at all.

The only thing that has truly changed in XI from then and now is the absolute necessity to group up, because the game has NPCs to fill out your party now. And nothing's stopping you from grouping up with other players if you want to.

Someday I will play XI, but sadly my time is focused on XIV for my MMO of choice and a lot of other great games releasing and in my backlog. I did hear rumblings of a remake/remaster for mobile (which would probably mean Switch at a later date). If so, that may be where I jump on.

8 is definitely the weirdest game in the series and the gameplay mechanics are broken is hell. Also has a god-tier soundtrack, memorable characters, and a really unique and visually striking setting.

IMO this game is peak Tetsuya Nomura character designs.
The setting and characters are still heavily unique and haven't been replicated in the franchise since. I think the closest we got was XIII, but even then that was only very tangentially comparable.

Kev Kev

this is awesome! great OP!

currently going through FFX and i have a lot of complaints but i'm overall really enjoying it. things are getting much better now that i've got the airship and was able to go back and capture fiends, which in turn allows me to acquire special items for upgrading weapons. seriously doubt i will spend the time to grind and fight all the hardest bosses, and from wnat i can tell it really requires multiple play troughs to fully enjoy it as you will know better what to do in subsequent runs (as any FF, really). considering going back and playing ffvii remake again as i enjoyed that quite a bit (with many criticisms, but hey nothing is perfect).

ive beaten 6-10, 15 and 7 remake. I tried 4 and 5 but couldn't get through them. i'll try those two out again one day, and i might give 12 and 13 another go one of these days as well. looking forward to 16, but square has a lot of work to do to get my money. i will be waiting for reviews and game updates to purchase.

fun OT looking forward to hangin out here. i will make sure to hang my negativity hat at he door. im down to just have fun and discuss the good stuff for a change.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Great job on the OP.
As for the current state of Final Fantasy, I'm really looking forward to more from the FF7 Remake and FF14, but I'm not very excited about FF16 at the moment... though I'm trying not to pass judgement until the game finally comes out. What we've seen so far hasn't looked very good to me though.

Also, playing Persona 5 Royal has made me hope that we get another turn based Final Fantasy some day.
But eh, I'm looking forward to the future of the franchise

Last edited:

Andyliini

I will join in as well. Being from Europe, Final Fantasy never really came here before FFVII. We only got Final Fantasy Adventure (actually a Mana series game) as Mystic Quest and the SNES game Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (as Mystic Quest Legend) before. Confused yet?

Final Fantasy VII left a huge impact on me, I probably would have not gotten into RPG's without it.

I hope one day 1-6 can come to modern consoles. In my wildest dreams, they are remade as HD-2D style, but we probably only get mobile ports, if at all. It is strange how Square-Enix seems to be bringing lots of their past title to Nintendo Switch, but classic Final Fantasy is still a no-show.

sublimit

Banned
FFVII was not only my first ever FF (due to it being the first FF that was released in Europe) but also my first RPG ever. I love the original so much yet it's not my favorite FF. That is FFX.

From the main series my top 5 are:
FFX
FFVII (i was very disappointed by the Remake though)
FFIX
FFXII
FFIV (DS)

I really want to give another chance to FFXIII however. I feel that now i will enjoy it much more than i first did. I also really want to play the rest of its trilogy as well.
Also want to start FFXV again since i haven't played too much of it and then stopped (for various reasons).

Last edited:
Someday I will play XI, but sadly my time is focused on XIV for my MMO of choice and a lot of other great games releasing and in my backlog. I did hear rumblings of a remake/remaster for mobile (which would probably mean Switch at a later date). If so, that may be where I jump on.
Unfortunately, the mobile version was canceled.

The decline of Final Fantasy is one of the most regrettable occurrences in the history of the medium. What Sakaguchi built at Square wasn't just a franchise, it was an entire stable of world-class developers who could have churned out masterpiece after masterpiece indefinitely. Square could have rivaled Nintendo. But Yoichi Wada took over the company in a coup, forced out Sakaguchi and his more gifted protégés (including Matsuno and Takahashi), and dismantled everything that he had built. Final Fantasy has been a dead franchise walking ever since.

So cool! I love this franchise so much. It is so cool that after 30+ years they are still making this franchise.

I grew up with the SNES entries. II and especially III were formative games for me as a kid. It was like playing through a novel, or a trilogy of novels. I got VII for computer when that came out, and I loved it.

Since then, there have been stumbles, but I feel like they have maintained considerable quality throughout, across over a dozen mainline titles and many more side releases.

I remember hearing so much hate towards XIII and when I finally played it, it was wonderful, a very cool game. XV I thought was very cool, and VII Remake was amazing. I say that as a fan of the original, it was well worth the wait. XVI looks super interesting as well, maybe more fantasy, more like a return to classic FF? Whatever it is I want to know more about it.

Yeah I understand you can see most of the content and level up with npc party members, but where's the fun in that? The game is slow paced and grindy. It wouldn't be very fun doing the meat of the game solo when its meant to be in a group you can interact with.

If they did something like wow classic relaunch or something that would be amazing. Or release a remaster/sequel.

Daeoc

Yeah I understand you can see most of the content and level up with npc party members, but where's the fun in that? The game is slow paced and grindy. It wouldn't be very fun doing the meat of the game solo when its meant to be in a group you can interact with.

If they did something like wow classic relaunch or something that would be amazing. Or release a remaster/sequel.
There has been a great way to experience FFXI in its prime (Treasures of Aht Urhgan) for a few years now.

Kev Kev

I really want to give another chance to FFXIII however. I feel that now i will enjoy it much more than i first did.
Make an LTTP if you ever do that. I’ve been thinking the same after playing through X, but would love to hear some impressions from people trying it again with fresh eyeballs, years after release.

Lethal01

The decline of Final Fantasy is one of the most regrettable occurrences in the history of the medium. What Sakaguchi built at Square wasn't just a franchise, it was an entire stable of world-class developers who could have churned out masterpiece after masterpiece indefinitely. Square could have rivaled Nintendo. But Yoichi Wada took over the company in a coup, forced out Sakaguchi and his more gifted protégés (including Matsuno and Takahashi), and dismantled everything that he had built. Final Fantasy has been a dead franchise walking ever since.

But how does that make you feel?

Lethal01

Make an LTTP if you ever do that. I’ve been thinking the same after playing through X, but would love to hear some impressions from people trying it again with fresh eyeballs, years after release.

I played through about half of XIII recently, I thought the combat system was absolutely fantastic while the story was meh but barrable.

7 Remakes battle system is my favourite in the series but I would take XIII combat over XV combat any day.

Last edited:

Fret Runner

This series will always have a special place in my gaming memories. Coming home after school and wasting the hours away reading text boxes of a lot of words that I didn't quite fully understand and names I could never decide how to say.
Ahh those were the days.

The music is probably my favourite part of the games. I mean that over the years I've gotten more enjoyment from the music than the games. Well, the ones up to X at least.
The games and their music were the main reason I ever picked up a guitar and started caring about music.
6,7,8,9,10 are the ones I have replayed the most over the years and still do, 7 being my favourite for both music and characters.
The remake of course blew my fucking socks off but the wait for new parts will be the fucking death of me. Aerith >Tifa

Might aswell repost these from the guitar players thread.
Nothing professional or anything, I was just dicking about with the acoustic a few weeks ago and had these tunes stuck in my head.

I guess if fun = chatting to your party then yeah, it's not as 'fun'. But gameplay-wise, Trusts are a perfectly adequate substitute for real players, and honestly preferrable IMO considering the fact that you're not at the mercy of other players not pulling their weight, going AFK, being underprepared, bailing early, or even deal with the LFG process to begin with. It's easy to see why they started to implement Trusts in FFXIV as well!

In any case, like the other poster said, there are private servers that have exactly what you want, so have at it. The mobile version was just canceled so don't hold your breath for a remaster or sequel.

ANYWAYS, someone released an HD texture pack for XI a few days ago and it looks great for the most part:
aE44KPG.jpg

Almost as good as the leaked mobile version screenshots before it was canceled. Also, ignore my silly character wearing XIV gear :p

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i used to feels that way. playing XIII trilogy..dissapointed...FFXV...same dissapointment.....until i play FFXIV. my faith and hope is restored. i can see glimmers of light at end of tunnel. that game is prove that square still have IT in them. probably what they need is proper vision and management. that division actually shoulder the franchise. there lot of things ride on those FFXVI developers and lets hope they success. the franchise need to move on to another direction of new, capable younger talent of key developers. the franchise hasnt really move foward in these past 10 years. it stuck in Fabula Nova Crystallys games. they need to break out of the Sakaguch, Kitase, Toriyama, Nomura, Nojima etc old guard veteran developers shadow and forge fresh, new start. so far i see, those younger talent in Creative Bussiness Division 3 is the best bet. these bunch also those who come from Ivalice Alliance game with tons of them is fans of Yasumi Matsuno.

Last edited:

Pejo

Just gonna get this out of the way early.

11 > 4 > 9 > 6 > 12 > 7 > 5 > 1 (PSP) > 15 > 10 > 14 > 3 > 2 > 8 > dogshit left on a heater for 3 days > 13.

Series has been technically dead since 9, but I still buy in to the hype with every single game that has "Final Fantasy" in the title. My 2c.

*edit* forgot 15.

Last edited:
I agree but having a XII avatar while saying all this is a bit weird. XII isn't really a Matsuno game nor is it a Hiroyuki Ito game.

EDIT: Also Takahashi left cuz there was no prospect for future Xenogears entries so I'm not sure that quite adds up regarding him.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I started with VI and have enjoyed most of the entries since. I'm looking forward to replaying most of the franchise once they confirm the release date for FFXVI and ones I've never played! Will always love FF and have found one or a couple that I love in each of its generations.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Palabragrís Palabragrís - I added the GT Retrospective to the OT! Forgot all about that gem of a series. Disappointing that they don't do much of these anymore over on EZA. Supposedly Resonant Arc will be redoing all of his videos on the series, so I will add them when they get published as well. SomeCallMeJohnny just did a review on the first title and is planning on doing them all as well. Lots of FF love these days!

Unfortunately, the mobile version was canceled.

That is disappointing. Can only hope that one day they make a proper offline version for people to still enjoy the story and characters.

Sorry that you feel that way, but I would have to disagree. XV had its issues, but it was still an enjoyable time. XIV has been, ever since its 2.0 relaunch, my favorite MMORPG of all time. Shadowbringers in particular has been the single greatest story since the Playstation Era for me and even then it could be debated that I enjoyed its story *more* than my all time favorites like IX and VI.

Yep! And link it here so I can post it into the OT!

cireza

Great thread. I have actually played almost all main single-player entries from the series. I remember really enjoying FF V and FF VIII, from what I consider is, the old series. Still these games feel broken to the core, and I always have some problem with this. It is an aspect I don't really like in the games. Like, for example, spells that single kills party members if your level is a multiple from 5 or 2. This is the kind of stuff I really hate in RPGs.

However, I really starting loving some of these games in the last 5 years. These games I consider some of the best games I have played, and I feel like the modern enhancements really helped.

I am talking about Final Fantasy X, which I played on Vita, and it was a blast. The turn-based battle-system in this game is one of the best ever. It is simple, well done and allows for planning and strategy. And the character variety is great, they are all very different and complementary.

Then there is Final Fantasy XV, which I played on Xbox One at launch. I absolutely loved this game from beginning to end. The world building, how elaborated the animations and interactions between the four heroes are, the freedom to explore, with tons of secondary things to find, the approach of how you roam the world, in the car while looking at the scenery. So many great ideas in this game.

And finally, the FF XIII trilogy which I highly recommend on Xbox One X, the enhancements are unbelievable. I had already played FF XIII in the past on PS3, but this time I really took the time to enjoy the game. Battle system is very good in this game, it is more about managing the team that giving direct orders. FF XIII-2 offers the freedom that FF XIII did not, and it is also a great entry. But my absolute favorite is Lightning Returns. The game-design, battle system, gameplay mechanics and how you setup your outfits for combat etc... Everything is perfect. This is definitely one of the best J-RPGs I have ever played.

Sadly, I am not too hot about FF XVI. I am not a fan of FF XII already, and XVI looks like it is going to share a lot of elements about how the world is depicted. It looks more medieval as well. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad that such a game is made nonetheless, as other players will definitely enjoy it !

Last edited:

Ixion

Speaking of music, definitely check out this album by Equip that came out a few years ago if you haven't heard it yet:

It's basically "Final Fantasy WAVE" done perfectly. It takes that old-school FF vibe and makes it even dreamier. He has a couple other really good newer albums too, but this album especially I think FF fans will love.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I am talking about Final Fantasy X, which I played on Vita, and it was a blast. The turn-based battle-system in this game is one of the best ever. It is simple, well done and allows for planning and strategy. And the character variety is great, they are all very different and complementary.

Then there is Final Fantasy XV, which I played on Xbox One at launch. I absolutely loved this game from beginning to end. The world building, how elaborated the animations and interactions between the four heroes are, the freedom to explore, with tons of secondary things to find, the approach of how you roam the world, in the car while looking at the scenery. So many great ideas in this game.

And finally, the FF XIII trilogy which I highly recommend on Xbox One X, the enhancements are unbelievable. I had already played FF XIII in the past on PS3, but this time I really took the time to enjoy the game. Battle system is very good in this game, it is more about managing the team that giving direct orders. FF XIII-2 offers the freedom that FF XIII did not, and it is also a great entry. But my absolute favorite is Lightning Returns. The game-design, battle system, gameplay mechanics and how you setup your outfits for combat etc... Everything is perfect. This is definitely one of the best J-RPGs I have ever played.
I fully agree on FFX battle system. I love the simple "true" turn based battle.
I discover the ATB after playing X and never really liked it. I feel robbed each time because I have to wait the bar to fill up to choose an action. So I will anyway loose some time before the bar start to fill up again (the time I choose my action). This hybrid turn based system doesn't work for me.

Also had a blast with FFXV. It has some issue and I am not gonna lie I was a bit disappointed at first. But I had a lot of pleasure playing it. Did another playthrough last year and damn ! I was so good. I love the characters relation, world and story.

Haven't play XIIIs yet but they are the next on my list. There is so much negativity around them that I want to see by myself because I find that usually games like that are "universally" hated are trash talked to the extreme just for the sake of it. And each I see this game, there is something that attract me to it ^^

Top Bottom