• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Community |OT| "We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

SkylineRKR

Great thread. I have actually played almost all main single-player entries from the series. I remember really enjoying FF V and FF VIII, from what I consider is, the old series. Still these games feel broken to the core, and I always have some problem with this. It is an aspect I don't really like in the games. Like, for example, spells that single kills party members if your level is a multiple from 5 or 2. This is the kind of stuff I really hate in RPGs.

However, I really starting loving some of these games in the last 5 years. These games I consider some of the best games I have played, and I feel like the modern enhancements really helped.

I am talking about Final Fantasy X, which I played on Vita, and it was a blast. The turn-based battle-system in this game is one of the best ever. It is simple, well done and allows for planning and strategy. And the character variety is great, they are all very different and complementary.

Then there is Final Fantasy XV, which I played on Xbox One at launch. I absolutely loved this game from beginning to end. The world building, how elaborated the animations and interactions between the four heroes are, the freedom to explore, with tons of secondary things to find, the approach of how you roam the world, in the car while looking at the scenery. So many great ideas in this game.

And finally, the FF XIII trilogy which I highly recommend on Xbox One X, the enhancements are unbelievable. I had already played FF XIII in the past on PS3, but this time I really took the time to enjoy the game. Battle system is very good in this game, it is more about managing the team that giving direct orders. FF XIII-2 offers the freedom that FF XIII did not, and it is also a great entry. But my absolute favorite is Lightning Returns. The game-design, battle system, gameplay mechanics and how you setup your outfits for combat etc... Everything is perfect. This is definitely one of the best J-RPGs I have ever played.

Sadly, I am not too hot about FF XVI. I am not a fan of FF XII already, and XVI looks like it is going to share a lot of elements about how the world is depicted. It looks more medieval as well. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad that such a game is made nonetheless, as other players will definitely enjoy it !

This is exactly what makes this series so special. Some say VII is the best ever, others hate it and stick with VI. etc.

Because I'm in a different camp. I love FFX. But I hate XIII and XV. And XII is my fave FF ever. You can guess i'm looking forward to XVI. I also liked XIV a lot, and XVI is from that team and combat designer from DMC is brought in. I'm more about the medieval FF games. Though I hold VII and VIII (and X) in high regard.

FFVII remake to me felt like a better XIII. It has better characters, better story, more to do. And the battle system of VI is 10/10 for me. But all the rest, such as level design and pacing, I disliked.

DelireMan7

A community, eh? Is this like... a Final Fantasy House?

Nah more like a tent

A cottage.
I see more a fire camp
191-1914180_ffx-zanarkand-ruins-final-fantasy-x-campfire.jpg

Last edited:

Komatsu

FFVII was not only my first ever FF (due to it being the first FF that was released in Europe) but also my first RPG ever. I love the original so much yet it's not my favorite FF. That is FFX.

From the main series my top 5 are:
FFX
FFVII
FFIX
FFXII
FFIV (DS)

I really want to give another chance to FFXIII however. I feel that now i will enjoy it much more than i first did. I also really want to play the rest of its trilogy as well.
Also want to start FFXV again since i haven't played too much of it and then stopped (for various reasons).

Make an LTTP if you ever do that. I’ve been thinking the same after playing through X, but would love to hear some impressions from people trying it again with fresh eyeballs, years after release.

I am playing through it right now on my XSX. Created a RTTP thread for it - come join us!

The game looks great but the script is awful. Claw-your-eyes-out cringe.

Mopey bloke

That's a great video right there. It contains a realisation I came to after many years of Squenix. When a Japanese company brings a beloved classic back and that classic has a shitty port to some platform like Windows 9X or mobile, that's the version we're getting ported. In the case of Grandia it was the PSX version only cause that's easier than Saturn.

Komatsu

Nice to have a general FF community thread. I was looking to post in the FFXI OT earlier today but realized it was locked and I am too lazy to make a new one.
In any case, I actually did the unthinkable and resubbed to this 18 year old game. I've been utilizing the free login periods to chip away at the story over the past few years, but I just NEEDED to know what happened next. And so, SE won and got my $13 lol

So have you been enjoying it? I subbed to FFXI briefly last month and the game seemed... way less plot-focused than I remembered? I feel like the main game has barely any plot, though if I recall correctly from Rise of Zilart onwards the narrative becomes tighter and more engaging.

NahaNago

Man! FF used to be my dream hype game every time I would read a magazine article about final fantasy. I've played 6-10,12- pre-reborn 14, some of 15 and 7r. The last 3 games from 7r to 15 and 13 have just unfortunately gradually killed my enthusiasm for the series. I really need to just go back and play ff from 6-10 again. I don't have much hope for 16 unfortunately. The visuals are alright I guess but the trailer killed my hype for the game. I guess my favs would have to be 7-10. FFX was just an emotional roller coaster. FF9 had so much charm to the character's and the world, FF8's atmosphere at times was just amazing and chill, to the epic ff7 . Unfortunately I started off with 7 so even though I played 6 I barely remember most of that game.

For those who enjoy and want to know more about the series' music, here are some soundtrack analysis by 8-bit Music Theory. I really recommend watching them.

"Final Fantasy VI Analysis Series" Parts 1-3

"How Final Fantasy VII's Victory Theme Defies Expectations" (Final Fantasy VII)

"How They Remake the Mako Reactor Theme from Final Fantasy 7" (Final Fantasy VII Remake)

So have you been enjoying it? I subbed to FFXI briefly last month and the game seemed... way less plot-focused than I remembered? I feel like the main game has barely any plot, though if I recall correctly from Rise of Zilart onwards the narrative becomes tighter and more engaging.
I have! I was at the end of Wings of the Goddess (the 4th expansion) when my latest free login ended, so I'm now on the final paid expansion (Seekers of Adoulin). Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time to play as I hoped I would, but I'm still chipping away at it.

And you are correct: the base game barely has a story to speak of, and Zilart is when the story REALLY starts to pick up. The adventure and leveling up are more of the focus in the base game, I'd say. Gotta struggle on foot for quite some time, unlocking Survival Guides and Home Points in each zone for your future convenience, etc. etc.

Fushitsusha

Banned
There’s a sale for the Final Fantasy games available on Switch. Three days left, they all seemed to be 30 to about 50% off

Going to purchase FFIX for $10.49 instead of the $20 Nintendo was asking for previously
1 hour. By then you will know how you will like the rest of the game. Never a dull moment.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
A topic worth of my love, Final Fantasy fan and collector here! Also infamously known to be an irritating fanboy and defender of FFXIII on old gaf! :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
1 hour. By then you will know how you will like the rest of the game. Never a dull moment.
I’ve never done something like this before, but the thought entered my mind today to purchase FFVII through FFX/X-2 today all lol

That would essentially be the cost of a modern game, price would be around 50-60 bucks considering the sale and that’s four games that are considered the height of the series according to a number of fans. This is the power of both a great sale and the Final Fantasy series haha

FFIX is going to be great. I already know I’ll love it. The only thing that really annoys me in gaming, are cringe moments that involve characters and their dialogue, usually through voice acting. But there might be a way around that considering the only offenders in that category seem to be (maybe) FFXII or FFXIII? I remember reading some criticizing one of the two for having some cringe moments

FFIX seems like a game for the ages. I hope in-game that the developers pay homage to the man that paved the way and made everything possible in the first place, USOPP

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just downloaded FFXII on gamepass. Excited to get into this game as it's the only one I haven't played yet. For those who have played it, how does it compare to FFX, X-2 and/or FFXIII (my least favorite)

Mopey bloke

I just downloaded FFXII on gamepass. Excited to get into this game as it's the only one I haven't played yet. For those who have played it, how does it compare to FFX, X-2 and/or FFXIII (my least favorite)
Compared to XIII, which I haven't played, it seems to be the polar opposite. It has a lot to explore and much side content. The story is less dramatic. Also in this version of the game you'll have to pick a class and stick to it, which will limit what each character can use (spells, weapons). In the PS2 original, you could just use everything with any character. That version has a blue battle window with a white border though, so it is far superior to the one you own.

XII has a cool sidequest where you can hunt marks (notorious monsters that have bounties on them). So much side content and big environments that you may go for over 10 hours of game without seeing any story progress, though you don't have to. Tons of dungeon crawling. Traversal isn't too interesting in this game. Mostly just walking and activating switches.

The story itself is like a long version of the tales of early FF titles. It doesn't deliver much on anything character wise. The world-building takes the lead here.

Addendum: Early in the game you'll given an item called Clan Primer. You should read that.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My favorite series of all time! Great thread.

I've been replaying Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age on the Series X. Game runs amazingly well and looks great. It's been a few years since I last played it (on PS4 Pro) but the 60fps is worth it just by itself. I'm about 18 hours in, around half way through since I've played it a zillion times and I'm not exactly being thorough.

I also started up a new character on Final Fantasy XIV (free trial account). The lvl 30 cap on the old trial always bugged me, but 60 is fine. Playing a healer, currently level 37 and plodding through the story quests at a leisurely pace. When I get bored of healing, I've taken up botany! Also, triple triad is great so it's usually worth logging in just for that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Compared to XIII, which I haven't played, it seems to be the polar opposite. It has a lot to explore and much side content. The story is less dramatic. Also in this version of the game you'll have to pick a class and stick to it, which will limit what each character can use (spells, weapons). In the PS2 original, you could just use everything with any character. That version has a blue battle window with a white border though, so it is far superior to the one you own.

XII has a cool sidequest where you can hunt marks (notorious monsters that have bounties on them). So much side content and big environments that you may go for over 10 hours of game without seeing any story progress, though you don't have to. Tons of dungeon crawling. Traversal isn't too interesting in this game. Mostly just walking and activating switches.

The story itself is like a long version of the tales of early FF titles. It doesn't deliver much on anything character wise. The world-building takes the lead here.

Addendum: Early in the game you'll given an item called Clan Primer. You should read that.
Cool. Thanks for the insight. It seems like this game looks to mimic FFXI without it being an MMO. OPen world exploration, Notorious Monsters were a huge part of FFXI. Seeing as though FFXI is my favorite MMO, I might feel right at home here. Guess we'll find out.

XII has a cool sidequest where you can hunt marks (notorious monsters that have bounties on them). So much side content and big environments that you may go for over 10 hours of game without seeing any story progress, though you don't have to.
This was my favorite thing about Final Fantasy XII. In particular completing an elite mark quest was so satisfying. It's also a good incentive to progress through the story, which itself was pretty decent (just that Vaan is a forgettable protagonist), so you can unlock more of them to hunt.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
Been playing the series since I was a kid. 4, 6, 7 was the golden years for me. I still love the series
to this day and continue to follow it even though I thought the last couple games were bad, specially FFXV was really garbage. I mean that literally, Taiwanese xpac monsters, copy pasted NPCs everywhere, literally exact copied quest, disjointed story, zero skill battle system, ect. And even as much as square has shit on the series and shoe horned Sephiroth into any scene they could for FF7R and robbed him of all intrigue and mystery... I still like the series. Also the fact the Dissidia NT never took off is a crying shame and I think it says more about the FF community then it does about the game. One of the coolest fighting games I’ve evert played.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Bought FFVII, FFVIII Remastered, and FFIX on Switch all for $28.50 which will hold me over for a long while. It turns out the sale was half off for pretty much every game they have on there (FFVII, FFVIII Remastered, FFIX, FFX/X-2, FFXII The Zodiac Age) except for FF Crystal Chronicles which is still full price. The sale is on for another 20 hrs if anyone is interested

Komatsu

About 40h in Final Fantasy XIV right now. After many years it seems like it finally clicked with me.

I haven't been a big MMO player in many, many years but I love FFXIV's world and the plot is interesting. To make it even better, I've read through the production team's interviews on how Matsuno was a huge influence on XIV's world and plot.

The moment you face an Ascian for the first time and TORN FROM THE HEAVENS start playing... Gave me goosebumps. Such a great track.

Fushitsusha

Banned
Bought FFVII, FFVIII Remastered, and FFIX on Switch all for $28.50 which will hold me over for a long while. It turns out the sale was half off for pretty much every game they have on there (FFVII, FFVIII Remastered, FFIX, FFX/X-2, FFXII The Zodiac Age) except for FF Crystal Chronicles which is still full price. The sale is on for another 20 hrs if anyone is interested
Hard mode: beat them all before RE8 Village. Just kidding, gotta savor it.

Last edited:

John Day

Still play XIV since the original launch (although took a break since holidays now 🤣). Amazing game.

One of my favorite tracks in the game is Looping in the Deepest Fringe, the Stormblood battle theme. 🔥🔥

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Completely different beast. Its more of a offline MMO in terms of gameplay. But don't let that put you off. It has the most mature acting and writing of the series. FFXII is in fact more like Vagrant Story in some way. For me its the best FF ever made, and I also loved the gambits as I found it very satisfying to see my own created setups mopping up enemies in an efficient way.

Alebrije

Well, been playing FF games since SNES but my last was 12 on PS2 because the gameplay changes specially combat mechanics of later games.

Due to plus downloaded FF7 remake , I played the game on PS so know the story. Liked the gameplay its a mix of old turn based games and Zelda.

What other FF games after 12 share the same combat mechanics? Or is just exclusive of FF 7 Remake because this combat system nailed for me gameplay, its very good.

Also never played FF9 , what is tje best way to play it? Console/port..?

Also after the great quality of FF7 remake wonder if Square has plans for a FF3 remake. For me after 7 n , 3 is the most iconic game.of the series .

I mean the Snes 3 :

images

Last edited:

Mopey bloke

For now it's exclusive to VII Remake, and likely will be followed up with part 2 of remake. XV had a simpler action combat system, and XIII has some of those mechanics like staggering but it's entirely menu-driven. Also I have played none of those games and am actually speaking out of my behind!

Ixion

The only thing that really annoys me in gaming, are cringe moments that involve characters and their dialogue, usually through voice acting. But there might be a way around that considering the only offenders in that category seem to be (maybe) FFXII or FFXIII? I remember reading some criticizing one of the two for having some cringe moments

FF12 has pristine voice acting and dialogue, so nothing to worry about there. It's FFX that is a little rougher around the edges in the voice acting department, but it's still good for the most part or else its story wouldn't be so highly regarded. FF13 has solid voice acting, but it's the dialogue that is bad.

Komatsu

FF12 has pristine voice acting and dialogue, so nothing to worry about there. It's FFX that is a little rougher around the edges in the voice acting department, but it's still good for the most part or else its story wouldn't be so highly regarded. FF13 has solid voice acting, but it's the dialogue that is bad.

Yeah, FFXII had great VOs as well as an absolutely stellar localization by Alexander O. Smith, another frequent Matsuno collaborator.

Kev Kev

i dont hear a lot of people talking about this game but i really enjoyed it. played it quite a bit back int he day. it was a fun little puzzler but didnt take much to beat. totally worth the 5 buck or whatever that i spent on it.

Myths

Cool concept, most older title screens have the white backdrop so that would be classic. Looks good on my 4K monitor.

Last edited:
So all the talk about PS3 store being shut down made me dust off my PS3, plug it in, and try out some games. I haven't used it in 2 years so I'm glad it still works. I stopped using it because it would not longer boot Peace Walker HD.

I tried out my PS1 games and they all worked right away with no problem. I don't think the same can be said for PS2. Luckily I have a ton of PS1 games.

A while ago I bought a cd booklet of PS1 Square RPGs from a friend. I started a new game of Final Fantasy IV. The story was immediately engrossing! I might have to play through this one again. It's been a long time.

Last edited:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
i dont hear a lot of people talking about this game but i really enjoyed it. played it quite a bit back int he day. it was a fun little puzzler but didnt take much to beat. totally worth the 5 buck or whatever that i spent on it.

Ahah, I totally forgot about its existence. Thank you for reminding, I remember I had plenty of fun with it too!

Speaking of spin-offs I was totally in love with "My life as a King" and "My Life as a Darklord" on Nintendo Wii.

I actually miss the "Wada-Era (President of S-E before)" and the multiple projects involving this franchise popping here and there with momentum.
um4Ct0f.jpg
resunaf.jpg

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I hope FF16 has a combo ranking system like DMC does. lol. Gonna love the mature shift in this game, maybe future titles will too.

Anyways, I'm considering Final Fantasy a Playstation franchise.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Ahah, I totally forgot about its existence. Thank you for reminding, I remember I had plenty of fun with it too!

Speaking of spin-offs I was totally in love with "My life as a King" and "My Life as a Darklord" on Nintendo Wii.

I actually miss the "Wada-Era (President of S-E before)" and the multiple projects involving this franchise popping here and there with momentum.
um4Ct0f.jpg
resunaf.jpg

Would love to see those games return, even if cheap little 5 dollar title ports. They were oddly fun and addicting for short play sessions. Would work perfectly for something like the Switch.

Replaying Final Fantasy IV right now and it is awesome.

The paladin stuff is very cool, I like how you start the game as a Dark Knight killing people for an evil empire, and you turn against it, and it leads you onto taking on this new role as a Paladin. You even start leveling up from level 1 all over again. Some cool character progression to jump start the game. Plus now you have healing spells! Very cool.

The storyline and flow is very nice in this game. The dramatic twists and turns are cool. I like the villains, they feel very Star Wars, with the cutaways to Golbez scheming away like Darth Vader in his spaceship. The music is some of the best.

This game is for real underrated. A lot of the showier entries steal the spotlight whereas this is a very solid entry. If you haven't played through this one you really should.

Also... the airship is called The Enterprise! So cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom