• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Noi

Honestly if anyone really wants to know you don't even have to check GAF. He was talking about it over on the Dissidia forums but he got banned there too :lol

It's how I found out he got perma'd. However I didn't recall it being about anything creepy.

That may be the "official" reason he got banned then. But the creepy stuff was definitely part of it, oh yes.

Honestly if anyone really wants to know you don't even have to check GAF. He was talking about it over on the Dissidia forums but he got banned there too :lol

It's how I found out he got perma'd. However I didn't recall it being about anything creepy.

He was being a creeper. Now let's drop it.

Wazzy

Banned
You should finish Xenobrade.
But...Pokemon..
Seifer is another great character. With Seifer you have to remember that he acts the way he does specifically because he knows he's not cut out for SeeD.

I'd have to play the game again to pay more attention to Selphie, but I'm not sure Zell really has all that much depth to them. Quistis is somewhat interesting int he beginning, but not for long after that. And Irvine ... I just can't stand the guy lol. I'm not sure if that interferes with my ability to judge his "I'm afraid to make history" failure.
I really liked Seifer. It was so disappointing his character development gets dropped at the end since it was leading to him redeeming himself.

As for Zell, I found it interesting how he's treated like garbage nearly by everyone. He's a lot like Seifer in the sense he craves attention and respect but through positive means of getting it rather than forcing it from people like Seifer.

I also liked we had a story involving adoption rather than like all the others, parentless so they joined gardens.

Wazzy

Banned
You're like a day away from finishing Xenoblade, man.
Alright, alright I'll finish it. But if you know who is still tacky and ugly when I fight them with my new party well...then I guess I'll just level up or something lol
That may be the "official" reason he got banned then. But the creepy stuff was definitely part of it, oh yes.

He was being a creeper. Now let's drop it.
Never fucking mind. Now I understand.

Lets move back to weeping about VI remake on IOS HAHAHAHAHAH...okay maybe lets not.

Noi

I've actually seen nothing about FF6 iOS. Have they already shown off what the "improved" sprites look like, or do we only have FF5 to speculate on?

rataven

First, no one said she's Sephiroths minion so I'm not even sure why that's being thrown out.

Second, I beat VII fairly recent but to show that she was actually worried he was leaving, I'll post the script.

Tifa:
I wanted to make sure...
But then I heard...you were going far away...
Tifa:
And I didn't want that...

Sure, you can say that it's false if someone is claiming her only reason for lying was this but to say it wasn't a reason at all is ridiculous.

I missed this earlier and am only coming back to it because you said, right here, and I quote:

Tifa didn't do it because she thought it was best for him. She did it because she thought she might lose him, it was pretty much a selfish act.

So, yes, I'm saying it's false.

If you don't want to try and understand Tifa's motivations and personality, and pin it all on one thing, then that's absolutely fine. But I think you miss out on understanding interesting characters, and I'm obviously going to disagree with you.

And it's not just Tifa. I think with a lot of FF characters, you have to dig a little deeper beneath the surface to get at their motivations. Whether it's the writing, the medium, or what have you -- most of them have something stirring up their actions but it might not always be apparent. And when you figure it out, sometimes it'll work for you, and other times it won't. I'm sure you remember how I feel about Squall. And when I replay VIII soon, I'm going to try and set aside those feelings and see if I can understand his motivations better. It may not work, but can't hurt to try. Rather than just holloring that "He's emo!" (which I don't even do but I think you get my point).

I actually really understand and respect Squall, at least right up until he started crying about Rinoa.

I know apparently he always liked her and just pushed her away because he didn't want to be hurt or whatever but I never got that impression.

Maybe that's because I'm imprinting my own feeling about Rinoa into Squall which ain't right. :V

The dynamic between Cloud and Tifa is actually one of my favorite things about FF7. You have to understand, after Nibelheim she lost everything. And when she found Cloud she thought she finally got something back, only it was soon revealed it came back broken. So you have to imagine how devastating this was to her, and I imagine she blames herself for the state Cloud is in. She keeps dancing around the issue of Cloud's memory because she didn't want to lose him again, so she starts playing along with his facade as well because she just didn't want him to go away again.

I thought it was great personally.

Ultratech

I've actually seen nothing about FF6 iOS. Have they already shown off what the "improved" sprites look like, or do we only have FF5 to speculate on?

Don't think they've shown anything yet.

Just hoping it doesn't look horrible.

(If I were to guess, the enemy sprites would probably look real nice like V.)

Wazzy

Banned
I missed this earlier and am only coming back to it because you said, right here, and I quote:

So, yes, I'm saying it's false.

If you don't want to try and understand Tifa's motivations and personality, and pin it all on one thing, then that's absolutely fine. But I think you miss out on understanding interesting characters, and I'm obviously going to disagree with you.
Just because I disagree with a characters decisions doesn't mean I don't understand their motivations. I understood Tifa's very well.

You're claiming it's false that she didn't lie due to being scared he was going to leave. I posted the script showing it is definitely a reason she lies about his memories.

She wasn't compeletly sure how to react when he was claiming all these false things and when she thought he might leave she panicked and worried that she would lose him AND wouldn't figure out why he was saying what he was.

I get wanting more time, I really do, but once he started beating the shit out of Aeris and then nearly kills her before she is stabbed, Tifa should have said something. Instead, she allows the most unstable person in the group to take the black materia and constantly pushes him as leader when he should have been anything but.

I don't think she's entirely to blame, though. His actions get excused by the party many times. The thing is, none of them understand why he's doing these things nor that he is lying.

A character like Tifa you either like her flaws or you don't. Same with many other FF characters. It's just funny that Tifa isn't much of a target for hers compared to someone like say, Rinoa who's flaws are something she can't actually control.

And it's not just Tifa. I think with a lot of FF characters, you have to dig a little deeper beneath the surface to get at their motivations. Whether it's the writing, the medium, or what have you -- most of them have something stirring up their actions but it might not always be apparent. And when you figure it out, sometimes it'll work for you, and other times it won't. I'm sure you remember how I feel about Squall. And when I replay VIII soon, I'm going to try and set aside those feelings and see if I can understand his motivations better. It may not work, but can't hurt to try. Rather than just holloring that "He's emo!" (which I don't even do but I think you get my point).
Hey, if you're going in with an open mind about Squall then that's great but in all honesty a lot of your posts regarding him come off as very similar to summing him up in one word rather than understanding the character and his motivations. If you change "emo" to "asshole" or "dick" then it's still the same kind of post.

I've actually tried to discuss this stuff with you before in other Final Fantasy threads but it generally went nowhere. Oh well, that's what this thread is for!

rataven

Just because I disagree with a characters decisions doesn't mean I don't understand their motivations. I understood Tifa's very well.
Cutting for length

You posted one sentence fragment from the script to back up your initial claim that the only reason Tifa didn't tell Cloud was because she selfishly didn't want to lose him. That's pretty disingenuous when you read the rest of that dialogue.

Tifa said:
"Actually, it's been seven years."
"You got your wish and joined SOLDIER, quit after the Sephiroth
incident, and now you're a mercenary..."
"You told me a lot about what happened after you left
Nibelheim..."
"But..."
"...Something's wrong. I felt there was something strange about
the things you talked about."
"All the things you didn't know that you should. And other things
you shouldn't know that you did..."
"I wanted to make sure..."
"But then I heard... you were going far away..."

"And I didn't want that..."
"I didn't know what to do. So, I thought I needed more time."
"And that's why I told you about the AVALANCHE job. I wanted to
be with you, watch you."

I mean, dude. She's clearly giving several reasons here for why she did what she did. Although based on your post this morning, it sounds like you realize this now.

Hey, if you're going in with an open mind about Squall then that's great but in all honesty a lot of your posts regarding him come off as very similar to summing him up in one word rather than understanding the character and his motivations. If you change "emo" to "asshole" or "dick" then it's still the same kind of post.

I've actually tried to discuss this stuff with you before in other Final Fantasy threads but it generally went nowhere. Oh well, that's what this thread is for!

From what I remember, the one serious conversation we had on Squall just ended up going in circles, boiling down to how willing either you or I were to excuse his actions based on the information we were given in the story. There really wasn't anything left to cover. I know I gave my reasons; if they didn't work for you then there's not much more I can do.

There's nothing wrong with summing up a character as a jerk or emo or whatever, but a lot of the time you get people making these claims with little understanding as to why they even think that. Your earlier post on Tifa seemed to knock her down to something akin to clingy or desperate without any analysis of her character.

CorvoSol

Guys I found a set of the FF7 action figures from the late 90s for like, 50 bucks. Should I buy this? I wanted this set so bad as a kid.

Wazzy

Banned
For any Canadian posters, Happy Thanksgiving!

You posted one sentence fragment from the script to back up your initial claim that the only reason Tifa didn't tell Cloud was because she selfishly didn't want to lose him. That's pretty disingenuous when you read the rest of that dialogue.
I never said it was the only reason. My post may have come off that way but that wasnt intended.

I think you also misunderstood my posting of that section of the script. You made the claim that anyone saying she didn't tell him because she was worried of losing him was false so I posted that part of the script to show it isn't,

It seems we may have misconstrued eachothers posts.

From what I remember, the one serious conversation we had on Squall just ended up going in circles, boiling down to how willing either you or I were to excuse his actions based on the information we were given in the story. There really wasn't anything left to cover. I know I gave my reasons; if they didn't work for you then there's not much more I can do.
I don't think we've actually ever had a serious discussion regarding Squall but I could be wrong. What I recall is that I pointed out something falsely claimed about him and then the conversation never went anywhere.

There's nothing wrong with summing up a character as a jerk or emo or whatever, but a lot of the time you get people making these claims with little understanding as to why they even think that. Your earlier post on Tifa seemed to knock her down to something akin to clingy or desperate without any analysis of her character.
I will actually stand by my belief that Tifa is clingy. It's just it's not only in regards to the lying. It was always noticeable that Aeris and Tifa were supposed to look opposite of what they actually felt. Aeris looked like the innocent weak willed girl but was actually emotionally confident and strong while Tifa looked tough when actually she was a lot more insecure and dependant than she let on.

She's way too defensive of Cloud and seems too afraid to confront him.

Guys I found a set of the FF7 action figures from the late 90s for like, 50 bucks. Should I buy this? I wanted this set so bad as a kid.
Do it. $50 is a pretty good deal unless you're getting only 2 characters.

rataven

I'm super sorry I skipped a lot of stuff but I didn't want to drive the thread to a level of insanity rivaling mako poisoning. I can PM you though if you want.

I will actually stand by my belief that Tifa is clingy. It's just it's not only in regards to the lying. It was always noticeable that Aeris and Tifa were supposed to look opposite of what they actually felt. Aeris looked like the innocent weak willed girl but was actually emotionally confident and strong while Tifa looked tough when actually she was a lot more insecure and dependant than she let on.

She's way too defensive of Cloud and seems too afraid to confront him.

This is actually a funny thing though, because we agree. Tifa IS afraid to confront Cloud and she CAN be clingy, but those traits stem from her unwavering loyalty to her friends. This girl just loves her friends so much she doesn't want to hurt them and almost blindly goes along with whatever they need or want her to do. We even see this is Dissidia when she displays this weird unquestionable trust in Kain. She's not necessarily insecure, but rather protective. As Meccancial mentioned, she's lost everything. She's keeping what she does have dear.

Like I said earlier, this is Tifa's strength and weakness -- thinking with her heart over her head. It doesn't always work and her friends sometimes DO get hurt, but I guess this is where we differ because I can't hate her for it -- her intentions are good, though poorly thought out. It's a very real trait.

CorvoSol

Unquestioning trust in Kain is just a thing. Cecil has been stabbed in the back by the guy so many times in the last 20 years, and he never even worries about it.

The real thing we need to talk about now is Golbez. Great God in the FF series, or better than all the Gods in the FF series?

Dissidia spoilers ensue, based in part upon now faulty memories.

In Dissidia, we learn that Golbez is the one who made the flower. He plants this flower in a place where Laguna will find it. Golbez knows Laguna doesn't care two bits about flowers, but stages it so that Firion will have that flower. Firion has the flower, and he shares knowledge of it with Lightning. Lightning, influenced by the flower, turns on Cosmos, and leads the crusade to seal the Rift. Who leaks the Rift's location? The Cloud of Darkness, after she meets LAGUNA, after he has come into contact with the flower. How is CoD alone to do this? Golbez is busy running interference with ExDeath to allow Laguna and CoD some alone time. Also, who joins Lightning's crusade? Kain, after he's KO'D most of Cosmos' team so they'll revive next round. Who puts this idea in Kain's head? Golbez. Who does Kain share this idea with? Tifa and the WoL. WoL, Cosmos' personal retainer, agrees to "yielding the round" and lets Kain do as the plan dictates. When ExDeath could have joined Garland and company to stop Lightning and team from sealing the rift, Golbez delays him again. After the Rift is sealed, and all of the warriors KO'D, the WoL is almost defeated by the Manikins, forcing Cosmos to act on his behalf and save him, shocking her into action. Basically right after this happens, Golbez goes and sees Cosmos, and convinces her to commit suicide to facilitate the warriors' acquisition of the Crystals and escape from World B. Then, during the last cycle, Golbez personally oversees Cecil's quest to acquire his crystal and advises Onion Knight in gaining his and therefore indirectly aids Terra in gaining hers. Meanwhile, Sephiroth gets wise to Golbez' game, tries to steal the rose, but plays into Golbez' hands doing so, bringing the WoL and others into contact with the rose. The rose is also brought into contact with Zidane and Cloud, and Cloud shares it with Terra, who then turns it into the world full of everyone's favorite flowers idea, which becomes the hope the heroes rally to, with their crystals, post Cosmos' death and on their way to defeating Chaos. The deaths of Cosmos and Chaos, orchestrated by Golbez, move the Great Will, Cid Lufaine, to break his covenant with the Divine Dragon, Shinryu, and release the warriors from World B.

Golbez is the best God in the series.

You know, I'm just gonna chalk the "Lightning can't feel emotions" up to a poor localization job. Cuz Lightning seems to be plenty emotional about the dying Chocobo in recent videos.

You know, I'm just gonna chalk the "Lightning can't feel emotions" up to a poor localization job. Cuz Lightning seems to be plenty emotional about the dying Chocobo in recent videos.

No man. What you are witnessing is the Other M treatment.

They specifically said they wanted to make her seem "more human" with this installment.

No man. What you are witnessing is the Other M treatment.

They specifically said they wanted to make her seem "more human" with this installment.

Maybe I'm in denial and refuse to believe that they can't understand that saying "this person can't feel emotions" actually means "This person is incapable of human emotion". It's not even a philosophical point anymore, Lightning straight up has emotion written all over her face and in her voice.

So, the "Angel of Valhalla", a white Chocobo, will lead Lightning, the Savior, to the Throne of the Goddess, the chair that Lightning bowed to in XIII-2, to fight the final battle that will decide the fate of the universe. Or so the legends say.

CorvoSol

So, the "Angel of Valhalla", a white Chocobo, will lead Lightning, the Savior, to the Throne of the Goddess, the chair that Lightning bowed to in XIII-2, to fight the final battle that will decide the fate of the universe. Or so the legends say.

Back in my day, a white chocobo refilled Cecil's MP after a long night of sexomancy.

CorvoSol

More of your IV fanfic?

Be honest: it isn't any worse than Toriyama's, now is it?

Corvo exist on a higher plane of reality than we do.

His experiences might not match our own.

*Experiences not typical of an FF4 playthrough.

So, Cecil was into beastiality?

Did we not cover this when Schala talked about Cecil getting turned into a pig? Alchemy house was an experimental period in his life.

Be honest: it isn't any worse than Toriyama's, now is it?

As long as I don't have to hunt down 4 novels/750+ pages, a radio drama, countless interviews, 3 Ultimania, and a youtube presentation despite the fact that is what the fudging in game datalog should be used for... I'll concede that it is better told than Toriyama's. You'd have to PM me the goods to review to get the thumbs up from me.

Top Bottom