• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Persona 4. I got you there.

I lurk a lot. Why do I need to post in the threads to show interest?

Ah, so it's your fault that we're now doomed to Persona ports and remakes on PSP till the end of eternity. Gotcha! :D

Clearly so publishers can take note and know which games they need to send to die!

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Ah, so it's your fault that we're now doomed to Persona ports and remakes on PSP till the end of eternity. Gotcha! :D

Clearly so publishers can take note and know which games they need to send to die!

:(

EDarkness

I was thinking about picking this up yesterday, but decided to wait until it comes out in the States since I don't want to move my Japanese Wii upstairs. I'm surprised no one else picked it up, though. :(

ivysaur12

Banned
EDarkness said:
I was thinking about picking this up yesterday, but decided to wait until it comes out in the States since I don't want to move my Japanese Wii upstairs. I'm surprised no one else picked it up, though. :(

I thought you said you didn't like it at TGS?

EDarkness

ivysaur12 said:
I thought you said you didn't like it at TGS?

From my impressions earlier in this thread:

Overall, it was a fun game and definitely pretty looking. There were a couple things I thought felt a little clunky, but I'll end up picking it up on the 26th.

Heh, heh. I didn't have anything against the game at all and have every intention of picking it up when it comes out, but I was thinking of getting it early since I'm almost at the end of Dragon Age and shopping around for something to play. Figured I'd wait until the 26th anyway.

(Also, don't think I can convince my wife to let me get it. :( )

Mega Mike said:
The MSRP for U.S. is 45 dollars according to gamestop. This does not bode well. I think SE knows that this will not sell all too well..

Its a shame that this got mediocre reviews.

There were reviews other than the Famitsu one?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I wonder what happened, I thought a lot of GAF was excited about this game? I'm surprised no one here in Japan seemed to have bought it (or really, no one in Japan at all for that matter).

Quirky does not equal bad. There was so much attention when those small comedic trailers first started dropping, then people just seemed to get burnt out of it I guess. I want to say "overall impressions still seem positive" but we don't even have any at all :lol

Scrubking

John Harker said:
I wonder what happened, I thought a lot of GAF was excited about this game? I'm surprised no one here in Japan seemed to have bought it (or really, no one in Japan at all for that matter).

Quirky does not equal bad. There was so much attention when those small comedic trailers first started dropping, then people just seemed to get burnt out of it I guess. I want to say "overall impressions still seem positive" but we don't even have any at all :lol

Same here. This game seems sent to die and not even the people who seemed hyped for it seem to care anymore.

And I have to say that after watching the first 45 minutes I'm not impressed. It looks incredibly easy, the camera control looks clunky and it seems to be heavily scripted. I mean you can't even jump on a ledge in the overworld unless it has little flowers that indicate you can jump on it. If things don't start looking a lot better I'm not buying.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Scrubking said:
Same here. This game seems sent to die and not even the people who seemed hyped for it seem to care anymore.

And I have to say that after watching the first 45 minutes I'm not impressed. It looks incredibly easy, the camera control looks clunky and it seems to be heavily scripted. I mean you can't even jump on a ledge in the overworld unless it has little flowers that indicate you can jump on it. If things don't start looking a lot better I'm not buying.

Based on the marketing positioning (THIS IS NOT AN RPG! ITS ONLY 15 HOURS!), and some of the interviews with producers, etc..I am getting a feeling this is very very dumbed down and was developed with the extremely casual part of the Japanese userbase in mind. My hype is steadily decreasing.

Scrubking

schuelma said:
Based on the marketing positioning (THIS IS NOT AN RPG! ITS ONLY 15 HOURS!), and some of the interviews with producers, etc..I am getting a feeling this is very very dumbed down and was developed with the extremely casual part of the Japanese userbase in mind. My hype is steadily decreasing.

The Square PR guy repeatedly telling us that this was a game our grandmas could play was a red flag that I was hoping was a mistranslation. So far doesn't look like it.

ivysaur12

Banned
We've literally seen almost every part of the first 45 minutes, so I don't know why anyone would be surprised with what they've seen. The stuff shown looks fine (except for the camera) and I'm really excited to see the overworld stuff and the stuff later in the game.

But the textures on Belle's hair still annoy me. So ugly.

Scrubking said:
The Square PR guy repeatedly telling us that this was a game our grandmas could play was a red flag that I was hoping was a mistranslation. So far doesn't look like it.

Repeatedly? He said it once followed by people repeating it constantly as if it was a major point in the interview.

Noticed that before the chase scene, Blaze is one of the people standing next to the chocobo that Belle steals.

Scrubking said:

There hasnt been much released after TGS for a while now. I think that the lack of posting is due to the lack of news. I'm picking this up regardless, will make a cozy New Years gift :D

Bebpo

Banned
Dark Oni said:
so um still nobody play it yet? =/

I like it, but it's a linear mini-game collection in the FF world with great cutscene direction, excellent graphics about on FFXII level give or take advantages/disadvantages and pretty bad controls and camera that could make the game frustrating at a later point. But early on the game is easy enough that the bad camera/controls don't make you lose. The battle system isn't very good either thanks to the camera, but the non-battle stuff is pretty fun.

That probably sounds negative, but if you just go in looking to have a good time it's a lot of fun and looks nice. Just has basic problems that could make the game not so fun later on.

Then again I liked Code Age Commanders, so I enjoy this team's games despite their flaws.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Fimbulvetr said:
I need to throw someone off a bridge.

Anybody know Kandinsky's address?
Now now, let's all be calm and rational here.
I'll bring the pitch forks.

Bebpo said:
I like it, but it's a linear mini-game collection in the FF world with great cutscene direction, excellent graphics about on FFXII level give or take advantages/disadvantages and pretty bad controls and camera that could make the game frustrating at a later point. But early on the game is easy enough that the bad camera/controls don't make you lose. The battle system isn't very good either thanks to the camera, but the non-battle stuff is pretty fun.

That probably sounds negative, but if you just go in looking to have a good time it's a lot of fun and looks nice. Just has basic problems that could make the game not so fun later on.

Then again I liked Code Age Commanders, so I enjoy this team's games despite their flaws.
If it's like this, then I might as well cancel my pre-order. :(

TunaLover

I don't know if I want, in fact I want it less now :(

SE left the game in middle of nowhere, it not will call attention of the casual how thinks FF equals deep gameplay, time consuming game. But it will not call the attention of the core RPG userbase on Wii. What I mean a better bet could have being secure at leats a niche segment of the market instead shot your bullets everywhere.

madara

I would never spoil a game enough to watch 45mins but in this case I am glad some of you did. Amazon pre order canceled. Its up to the four warriors of light now, just wish they used sprites on that one instead of ds polys for a real traditional feel.

Bebpo said:

So B. going off on what you said here...Am I correct in understanding that were are playing a game we there are straight objectives with few to little deviations as to meeting them? I know with FFXII you had objectives and one path to get there. I got the must fun out of that just enjoying the trip along the way; fighting all the monsters I could and just farming for items and seeing what I could at that point. As for the camera, I honestly don't see this as a problem because I really feel I've never played a game(in this sense action/adventure/RPG) that has it.

I too have played Code Age Commanders and enjoyed and I wasn't aware this team was behind that underrated title. Shame we may never see a title like that one again if at all.

Sipowicz

Banned
Amir0x said:
LOL

fuck no

(well, I guess we need to see more of the PSP FFXIII game before I can make that statement)

i read the thread abotu 4 warriors of light and some of it sounds stupid

some of it sounds cool though

Amir0x

Banned
i like the music of it, but I think I will just buy the soundtrack - I really don't like anything about its gameplay. And it uses DS 3D, which is another automatic strike.

But off topic, etc etc.

I once heard a rumour that FFXIII Agito PSP was going to be SquareEnix's attempt to strike gold in the Monster Hunter genre, so if that's true I would indeed be hyped for it.

Well I'm not liking what I'm reading here. I really like the FFCC series and I have the game pre-ordered, but it sounds like I'll be able to pick it up for $20 by February. I'm only half done with FFIV:tAY so I suppose I'll just finish it in the meantime.

madara said:
I would never spoil a game enough to watch 45mins but in this case I am glad some of you did. Amazon pre order canceled. Its up to the four warriors of light now, just wish they used sprites on that one instead of ds polys for a real traditional feel.
I'm still deciding. I haven't watched the video but I guess I will soon enough.

Sipowicz

Banned
Amir0x said:
I once heard a rumour that FFXIII Agito PSP was going to be SquareEnix's attempt to strike gold in the Monster Hunter genre, so if that's true I would indeed be hyped for it.

that's actually dissapointing news for me. i only played the demo of monster hunter but i didnt know what was going on and a dinosaur killed me somehow. also theere was a fucking cat midget folllowing me around throwing bombs for some reason

on the plus side i found out that they've changed the fighting of agito 13 so it's not like crisis core any more

shame about crystal chronicles though

Akai

Looks like Squenix should have gone for a worldwide launch... ='D

Doesn't sound like the most amazing game in the world, but still looks and sounds like a ton of fun to play, and that's all I'm really looking for...Definitely still picking it up around launch...

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:

Linear?

Wasn't the whole point to be uh... non-linear? WTF SE?!

I am decidedly less hyped.

Will probably still pick it up since it's not about belts or hyper-emotional teenagers with guns in a techno-punk world and I'd like to support that. Not keen on the minigames when I expected a Zelda-like.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sounds like what I feared is what happened.

Instead of making a real RPG SE decided to gamble for the casual userbase in Japan. They lost, and Tales of Graces is probably going to sell 5x the copies.

Darkky

I expected a lot more when I first saw the title. But the video is just a big downer. Sigh... why must SE always toy with our feelings? ):

Bebpo

Banned
First of all, when I got it yesterday I only played maybe 2 and 1/2 hours. So these are just early impressions. I'm busy with school though and with NSMB this week, I dunno when I'll play some more FFCC. Very possibly next weekend for a bit and then maybe a large chunk over thanksgiving. So don't expect updates and I can only answer questions to the beginning of the game.

ivysaur12 said:
Linear?

Wasn't the whole point to be uh... non-linear? WTF SE?!

The first 2-3 hours is running down a straight path with cutscenes, mini-games and battles along the way. On the plus side this means the pacing is really good and fast paced. Since there is no xp or levels, there's no grinding (I can see some later on if you want drops to make accessories); this means go, go, go pace like an action game; not "I'm at a dungeon and the game just STOPS for an hour" rpg pace. Same with towns. Since you can't talk to NPCs, getting to a town means you're in & out really quick. No lingering around like normal rpgs talking to everyone and shopping (there's a tiny bit of shopping, but not much so far).

I didn't follow any of the previews so if this game is supposed to be non-linear like GTA, maybe it gets that way later on? I dunno. I heard the game is like 15 hours and at the fast linear pace the beginning goes it would make sense.

Fimbulvetr said:
And while you're at it, how bad is the camera?

Kingdom Hearts bad? Worse?

KH1 bad. Even though you can snap the camera, it's not super easy to look at an enemy you want to throw something at or look quickly at something you want to grab. Especially if that's vertically up/down and snapping won't be enough and you gotta use the d-pad camera to adjust a bit.

Controls are a bit iffy when it comes to the grab and pick up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just kinda tosses when you wanted to hold on. And then there's just dumb stuff like in the chocobo mini-game at the start where you have your pointer on the enemy, are holding the button and filling the meter to lift him and then suddenly before it's filled the camera JERKS TO THE SIDE and you lose your hold and have to start over. Kinda annoying, and later on if the mini-games actually get deadly I can see stuff like that being frustrating.

Top Bottom