• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Weird, I've never expected any sort of non-linearity in this game. Must have missed some comments. Good pacing is nice to hear though.

Nothing I've seen has changed my expectations honestly. I knew the camera was going to be an issue after watching some of the preview videos. Still looking forward to it.

sfried said:
How could you say that based on a few hours of gameplay?

Just being my normal self, i expect this to be a pretty decent game, no matter what the sales and famitsu say.

I am sure some were expecting the second coming...

lorddarkflare said:
Just being my normal self, i expect this to be a pretty decent game, no matter what the sales and famitsu say.

I am sure some were expecting the second coming...

I wasn't.

But I sure as hell expected a fun game.

Still some hype left, waitin' til it hits the states to decide.

I hope the game isn't as bad as it sounds. Either way, sales numbers like that probably mean the end of the Crystal Chronicles franchise but it'd be a shame to end the brand with an unambitious turd nugget.

sfried

Is there a better video than the German one? The indirect feed it's taking ages to load.

And these impressions I'm getting are just from one person. I'll wait to hear what others say.

Fimbulvetr said:
I wasn't.

But I sure as hell expected a fun game.

Still some hype left, waitin' til it hits the states to decide.

At this point, I'm just hoping the story, characters, and world are enjoyable. Considering the main character is Layle, I'm not worried.

cosmicblizzard said:
At this point, I'm just hoping the story, characters, and world are enjoyable. Considering the main character is Layle, I'm not worried.

Yeah neither am i, it is the combat that worries me.

Quadrangulum said:
I hope the game isn't as bad as it sounds. Either way, sales numbers like that probably mean the end of the Crystal Chronicles franchise but it'd be a shame to end the brand with an unambitious turd nugget.

I would hope they would have the courtesy to remaster the original before they let the series die.

Bebpo

Banned
Quadrangulum said:

I like how everyone is saying it sounds bad, yet I'm saying it's fun and well paced and looks great :lol

It's just not much of an rpg so far...so what? I actually thought I wouldn't like it going in because I'm not a fan of the artstyle particularly, but I really enjoyed the first 2 hours and I couldn't put it down. The only reason I stopped playing was because I had to! The game so far is a slightly casual fun experience. I mean wtf, Modern Warfare 2 is about as casual mainstream FPS as you can get that is totally linear and great looking and everyone is happy! They go for the same appeal with FFCC and it's a horrible horrible thing? :p

Bebpo said:
I like how everyone is saying it sounds bad, yet I'm saying it's fun and well paced and looks great :lol

It's just not much of an rpg so far...so what? I actually thought I wouldn't like it going in because I'm not a fan of the artstyle particularly, but I really enjoyed the first 2 hours and I couldn't put it down. The only reason I stopped playing was because I had to! The game so far is a slightly casual fun experience. I mean wtf, Modern Warfare 2 is about as casual mainstream FPS as you can get that is totally linear and great looking and everyone is happy! They go for the same appeal with FFCC and it's a horrible horrible thing :p

The problem is that your complaints about the camera and everything else sounded really....unflattering.

Like seriously, reread your post. You make them sound like game killer issues. :lol

7Th

Bebpo said:
I mean wtf, Modern Warfare 2 is about as casual mainstream FPS as you can get that is totally linear and great looking and everyone is happy! They go for the same appeal with FFCC and it's a horrible horrible thing? :p

Well, MW2 wasn't a total sales failure...

Bebpo

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
The problem is that your complaints about the camera and everything else sounded really....unflattering.

Like seriously, reread your post. You make them sound like game killer issues. :lol

Well like I said, as long as the game stays relatively easy they are more minor annoyances. It's only if the game gets hard and you have to depend on the camera....then it could get dicey.

And I guess it just comes down to that I can enjoy a game with not ground breaking gameplay if the presentation is good and it's fun.

7Th

TunaLover said:
And sales are relevant to gameplay mechanics. Do you play with profits or something?

Fimbulvetr said:
I'm sorry, I forgot, is this a Crystal Chronicles game?

I wasn't the one that brought the comparison to this discussion, Bebpo did.

TunaLover

7Th said:
I wasn't the one that brought the comparison to this discussion, Bebpo did.
Bebpo brought MW2 to compare linear easy to pick up gameplay, he never mentioned nothing about sales. You bring it up, it was pointless.

ecierif

Bebpo, would you say there are a lot of dungeon-like areas, or have you encountered few of those other than that one at the beginning of the game?

Bebpo

Banned
Hmmm, depends on what you consider dungeon. I mean the game is mainly chases and stuff through dungeon-like environments and fields. You could say I've done 3 dungeons, or 2 or maybe you wouldn't call them dungeons at all. I dunno. It's hard to classify. If it's anything that's not a town or connecting field than there have been like 3.

Thinking about it, I guess you could call this a Zelda-ish game. There is an overworld and there are some secrets and some subquests and when you beat stuff you get a heart piece that gives you one more lifebar. It's like Zelda except instead of a dungeon you explore with puzzles it's a straightforward room -> room -> room sequence while doing chase sequence platforming or battling or sometimes a mini-game until you get to the boss fight. Speaking of boss fights, I've only done 1 but man does the camera suck at them. In the first boss you have to
manually aim at the boss's heart, but the boss is BIG and the heart is above so you have to be moving the camera around with the d-pad and then pointing while moving around and not getting hit
. I couldn't even see half the stuff the boss was doing because he was out of the screen using the auto-correct on the camera.

Game looks nice though. Some screens with the in-game camera (wish it would take them at a higher resolution and add AA like a lot of photomodes):
FFCCTCB091114_222709.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_222513.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_221721.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_222810.jpg

First boss:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/FFCCTCB091114_221159.jpg

Linkhero1

So Bebop, you don't really explore through "dungeons" in a non-linear fashion? You just go through rooms in order? Kind of seems boring to me, but if the puzzles are entertaining I won't care that much about it.

About the camera, is it always annoying or was it for that one boss fight?

Bebpo

Banned
Played a few more hours. A few battles, a few new mini-games, a decent amount of backtracking across the zelda-ish overworld (boo; would have preferred warps or point n' click map to avoid this). I'm guessing the 15 hour marks are exaggerated and it's probably 20ish. Then again who knows.

Game is pretty funny and silly. People who take games too seriously will hate it, but so far it's the best game in the FF:CC series imo. It's kind of like FFX-2 except without the battle system/stats/dungeons and just the story/action/mini-games.

Some random pics:

FFCCTCB091114_234016.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_233617.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_234720.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_235144.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_235839.jpg

FFCCTCB091115_000637.jpg

FFCCTCB091115_002652.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_232747.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_232731.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_232718.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_232647.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_232504.jpg

FFCCTCB091114_231109.jpg

I see tanlines!

Still looking forward to this game, even if it's less a full-fledged rpg and more a minigame/adventure mesh. I'd probably buy anything with Layle in it, anyway.

sinxtanx

After Bebpo's comments(and pictures) I'm not worried that I'll not like it anymore.
SE, release this in Europe so I can buy it!

kenji

Bebpo said:
It's kind of like FFX-2 except without the battle system/stats/dungeons and just the story/action/mini-games.
oh god, is the story really with the same quality as the FFX-2 one? :|

kiryogi

Banned
I don't think it's a bad thing. My quick thought for now, I'm having super fun with the game. For probably before work later today or after. So fricken late, but man I love the game. But I don't like to think of it as minigames or anything. It seems like one big fun adventure to me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds kinda like Disaster, which was what I was expecting, so yay!

kiryogi

Banned
One last tidbit for now, it's a really decent looking game. One of the wii games out there that doesn't look like total garbage on an HDTV.

kiryogi said:
I don't think it's a bad thing. My quick thought for now, I'm having super fun with the game. For probably before work later today or after. So fricken late, but man I love the game. But I don't like to think of it as minigames or anything. It seems like one big fun adventure to me.

Who the hell do I believe? :(

shahkur

Guys, what is the actual battle sytem like if you had to compare it to any other game. Do you get new moves? New weapons? And do the bosses have actual attack patterns? Do the missions vary a lot?

TunaLover

I´m cofused, Famitsu report in its review that they would wish a more detailed map because you could easily get lost, it doesn´t happen in most linear games O__o

TunaLover said:
I´m cofused, Famitsu report in its review that they would wish a more detailed map because you easily get lost, it doesn´t happen in most linear games O__o

1) Starts off linear and opens up later.

or

2) Famitsu is dumb.

I'm guessing you have a pretty huge hub world which lead to linear objectives.

Like, you can go where you want, but you don't have a lot of choices on what to do when you get there.

shuyin_

Banned
Bebpo said:
I like it, but it's a linear mini-game collection in the FF world with great cutscene direction, excellent graphics about on FFXII level give or take advantages/disadvantages and pretty bad controls and camera that could make the game frustrating at a later point. But early on the game is easy enough that the bad camera/controls don't make you lose. The battle system isn't very good either thanks to the camera, but the non-battle stuff is pretty fun.

That probably sounds negative, but if you just go in looking to have a good time it's a lot of fun and looks nice. Just has basic problems that could make the game not so fun later on.

Then again I liked Code Age Commanders, so I enjoy this team's games despite their flaws.
What? I thought this was made by SE not Ubi :D

Bebpo said:
The first 2-3 hours is running down a straight path with cutscenes, mini-games and battles along the way. On the plus side this means the pacing is really good and fast paced. Since there is no xp or levels, there's no grinding (I can see some later on if you want drops to make accessories); this means go, go, go pace like an action game; not "I'm at a dungeon and the game just STOPS for an hour" rpg pace. Same with towns. Since you can't talk to NPCs, getting to a town means you're in & out really quick. No lingering around like normal rpgs talking to everyone and shopping (there's a tiny bit of shopping, but not much so far).
So it's really an action-adventure/Zelda clone, and not an rpg. If you had to compare, would you say it's as good as Zelda or Beyond Good and Evil?

Netto-kun

Played 2 hours of the game. I don't have anything to add since Bebpo and kiryogi already already wrote it down. Let's just say that I had a really fun time with the game and that Layle is a really cool main character.:D

Bizzyb

Banned
shahkur said:
Guys, what is the actual battle sytem like if you had to compare it to any other game. Do you get new moves? New weapons? And do the bosses have actual attack patterns? Do the missions vary a lot?

You pick shit up and hurt it at people/things

yeah... :/

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Played a few more hours. A few battles, a few new mini-games, a decent amount of backtracking across the zelda-ish overworld (boo; would have preferred warps or point n' click map to avoid this). I'm guessing the 15 hour marks are exaggerated and it's probably 20ish. Then again who knows.

Game is pretty funny and silly. People who take games too seriously will hate it, but so far it's the best game in the FF:CC series imo. It's kind of like FFX-2 except without the battle system/stats/dungeons and just the story/action/mini-games.

Some random pics:

Hmm... I'm feeling better about it now.

And the game looks really pretty. Except for Belle's hair. Why are her textures so bad?

Fimbulvetr said:
Who the hell do I believe? :(
Just wait for more impressions. I'm waiting since the game releases the day after Christmas. You got time to think about it and watch some videos before deciding.

Kandinsky said:
He is right though, oversimplification or not.

In Mario, you just jump around.

yeah.... :/

In Halo/KZ2 you just shoot stuff.

In Castlevania I you just hit stuff with your whip.

So like I was saying, gross oversimplification(in order to make something sound unflattering).

faridmon

i don't know what is the problem here. All the impressions are pointing to the direction of '' I will love the game with its not-so-big flaws''

and I will buy a Wii with this game. A black Wii since I live in Europe
Hell yeah.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
faridmon said:
i don't know what is the problem here. All the impressions are pointing to the direction of '' I will love the game with its not-so-big flaws''

and I will buy a Wii with this game. A black Wii since I live in Europe
Hell yeah.
People just jump on the tiniest comments and blow it all the hell out of proportion, positive or negative. Heck, even Bebpo is confused at the negativity his relatively innocuous comment was getting. Just the way things are.

Not to impugn Bebpo or anything, but this is kind of how he gives impressions.:lol

Even if he really likes a game, he tells people about the flaws first and foremost so they know that going in.

Good or not, I am disappointed the game wasn't what I thought I was. It remains to be seen if I'll get over it by Decembet 26th. but we shall see.

Top Bottom