• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

ShockingAlberto said:
Not to impugn Bebpo or anything, but this is kind of how he gives impressions.:lol

Even if he really likes a game, he tells people about the flaws first and foremost so they know that going in.

Oh okay.

Because his impressions were seriously baffling me. :lol

Hopefully there are some early US reviews.

Ive read some other impressions on another forum and the person who is playing says its a very awesome adventure zelda like, with a great hub world but with lots of minigames. He says the music is very good (some epic and some fun), the graphics are awesome, the gameplay is very fun, the battles are not repetitive (he tells that they are as repetitive as fighting in Zelda or battles in any FF) and the cities are big with lots of secrets.

He has only two gripes, the camera is sometimes bad (but doesnt brake the gamre) during platforming segments in dungeons and that there is some lag in the overworld when there are lots of things happening at the same time.

EatChildren said:
Sounds kinda like Disaster, which was what I was expecting, so yay!

Just what I was going to say. And that means its going to be awesome.

faridmon

the Square Enix News for November mentioned the release date for FF CC CB to be this winter. Does that mean Q4 2009 or Q1 2010?

faridmon said:
the Square Enix News for November mentioned the release date for FF CC CB to be this winter. Does that mean Q4 2009 or Q1 2010?

26th of December. >_>

The chase scene music in nice, reminds me of a western at some parts.

faridmon

Fimbulvetr said:
26th of December. >_>

The chase scene music in nice, reminds me of a western at some parts.
Europe?

and by the way SE News is a monthly magazine-like (1 page) that is send to your Email.

Can't help but be both excited and worried at the same time for this. :lol The impressions seem to be a mixed bag of some finding it good and some finding it meh. I really hope the North American reviews start popping up soon.

I guess since the game is up now nobody really wants to check out the updated and missed this one.
55gf49.jpg

New videos that show characters in the game dressed as Leo and Chime from My Life as a King.

GoldandBlue said:
Can't help but be both excited and worried at the same time for this. :lol The impressions seem to be a mixed bag of some finding it good and some finding it meh. I really hope the North American reviews start popping up soon.

I guess since the game is up now nobody really wants to check out the updated and missed this one.
55gf49.jpg

New videos that show characters in the game dressed as Leo and Chime from My Life as a King.

Heh, nice.

Speaking of MLaaK, how good is it? I've heard positive things.

Fimbulvetr said:
Heh, nice.

Speaking of MLaaK, how good is it? I've heard positive things.
I enjoyed it a lot more then I was expecting to. Starts off kinda slow but picks up once you get more people in the Kingdom.

I was really disappointed that you had to purchase the other 3 Tribes as DLC. I did cause I'm a sucker for the FFCC series but it added nothing to the game. They don't even say anything new which is funny cause you'll talk to a female Selkie who will mention how Chime was lucky to be born part Selkie and they'll wish they could have been part Selkie too. :lol

Oxx

MLaaK is probably my favourite CC game so far.

And that was just the base game. I told myself that I would get the DLC at a later date in order to switch things up for subsequent play-throughs, but I never did.

Kandinsky

GoldandBlue said:

55gf49.jpg

Haha nice, and yeah MlaaK is a great game, i spent many hours on that one, great little gem, which also make this thing much more painful, just imagine something like MLaaK turned into an awesome rpg, with actual dungeons and combat, job system and all that, instead we got this, makes me so sad. Still im a FFCC whore and will get it day one.

sfried

BorkBork said:
People just jump on the tiniest comments and blow it all the hell out of proportion, positive or negative. Heck, even Bebpo is confused at the negativity his relatively innocuous comment was getting. Just the way things are.
I really don't understand this at all. All of a sudden "Dropping me pre-order" and such comments rose up. I mean, some people probably didn't take the time to look at the videos/search for them themselves but people are just too brash on coming to conclusions with one or two impressions.

And those screens really sold me. It's nice to know there are a healthy number of environments, but must of all that the game is very well paced, making me really think that this is the anti-post-FFVII-Midgard-FF.

I know this is GAF, but common...
Fimbulvetr said:
Disaster: Day of Hyrule?

I just found a better stream on YT, but it seems that the devs are cutting out any videos before the flying sequence and after the first "dungeon". Which sucks since I really wanna hear the intro theme more clearly. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzntqoMgg4
Argh...When will more people start recording Wii games in progressive scan? It isn't that hard to find a nice pair of VGA cables for it...

sfried said:
I really don't understand this at all. All of a sudden "Dropping me pre-order" and such comments rose up. I mean, some people probably didn't take the time to look at the videos/search for them themselves but people are just too brash on coming to conclusions with one or two impressions.

And those screens really sold me. It's nice to know there are a healthy number of environments, but must of all that the game is very well paced, making me really think that this is the anti-post-FFVII-Midgard-FF.

I know this is GAF, but common...

I'm actually waiting til NA review before I make any bold decisions.

Bebpo

Banned
I think I'm about halfway or 3/4th through at this point. The story is pretty good. Almost on par with a mainline FF, just not quite as grown up and expansive. The world is pretty small and you've been across the whole thing in the first 6-7 hours.

Really like it. Although the battle balance is terrible. I have a ton of life bars, yet if I get hit by an enemy at this point I lose 1/2 my life in 1 hit? That's with various defense+ accesories on. I only died on two battles so far and 1 had a retry option which was nice, the other one didn't and I had to start from my last save about 10 mins back. Enemies just seem to do a ridiculous amount of damage and it can be hard keeping track of all the enemies since the camera sucks.

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think I'm about halfway or 3/4th through at this point. The story is pretty good. Almost on par with a mainline FF, just not quite as grown up and expansive. The world is pretty small and you've been across the whole thing in the first 6-7 hours.

Really like it. Although the battle balance is terrible. I have a ton of life bars, yet if I get hit by an enemy at this point I lose 1/2 my life in 1 hit? That's with various defense+ accesories on. I only died on two battles so far and 1 had a retry option which was nice, the other one didn't and I had to start from my last save about 10 mins back. Enemies just seem to do a ridiculous amount of damage and it can be hard keeping track of all the enemies since the camera sucks.

Nice. Does it get serious at any points or is it still pretty high hearted?

Bebpo

Banned
It's serious and surprisingly violent for the FFCC brand. It's just not as, I guess, "emo" or "emotionally dramatic" as the mainline FFs have been since FF4. There are a lot of cutscenes too. I'd guess cutscenes make up 50% of the gametime since there aren't dungeons.

I think it's really good and better than most jrpg stories in the last few years. I think Blue Dragon's the only other jrpg that's had an enjoyable story this gen.

Bebpo said:
It's serious and surprisingly violent for the FFCC brand. It's just not as, I guess, "emo" or "emotionally dramatic" as the mainline FFs have been since FF4. There are a lot of cutscenes too. I'd guess cutscenes make up 50% of the gametime since there aren't dungeons.

I think it's really good and better than most jrpg stories in the last few years. I think Blue Dragon's the only other jrpg that's had an enjoyable story this gen.

Sounds good to me. Hype restored!

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:

Interest renewed. How are the characters?

Also, how varied are the locales? Has there anything that's just been aesthetically wowing?

Darkky

Fimbulvetr said:
Disaster: Day of Hyrule?

I just found a better stream on YT, but it seems that the devs are cutting out any videos before the flying sequence and after the first "dungeon". Which sucks since I really wanna hear the intro theme more clearly. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzntqoMgg4

Which, to be honest, looks interesting.

I liked Disaster's game mechanics as a mix between the adventure and FPS genres. I wonder which forms of gameplay will Crystal Bearers blend together this time?

Bebpo said:
Almost on par with a mainline FF

Ugh, is the dialogue well written at least?

Bebpo said:

Are the battle mechanics and monster reactions themselves good though?

Bebpo said:

I'm just wondering. With the dungeon linearity and hold-my-hand type of puzzle sequences/solving, it doesn't seem like FFCB has much difficulty, overall. Your explanation doesnt really disagree with this belief. It seems like I will just be buying it mostly on story and the wild battle system. Which is cool, but after playing so many rpgs, I really would have liked something difficult and/or different

faridmon

gamergirly said:
I'm just wondering. With the dungeon linearity and hold-my-hand type of puzzle sequences/solving, it doesn't seem like FFCB has much difficulty, overall. Your explanation doesnt really disagree with this belief. It seems like I will just be buying it mostly on story and the wild battle system. Which is cool, but after playing so many rpgs, I really would have liked something difficult and/or different
what?
the paragraph you Quote stated the inbalance of the game which makes the game tad more difficult, and you complain about the game being easy?

i really understand what is the problem?

or am i missing something? my reading comprehension is not that great thses days

Bebpo said:

How violent we talkin here? Cause the past games have shown some pretty brutal things.

Like the original
having the Black Knight stabbed by his own son.
Ring of Fates
having the main character dad die right in front of him.
and Echoes of Time
showing an entire village get massacred.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
GoldandBlue said:
How violent we talkin here? Cause the past games have shown some pretty brutal things.

Like the original
Ring of Fates
and Echoes of Time
I wouldn't describe any of those scenes as violent. They were serious though, in the goofy laughable sort of way FFCC usually portrays "serious" scenes.

faridmon said:
what?
the paragraph you Quote stated the inbalance of the game which makes the game tad more difficult, and you complain about the game being easy?

i really understand what is the problem?

or am i missing something? my reading comprehension is not that great thses days

He/She's actually through most of the game and didn't die that much. However, I wasn't referring specifically to the "late" battle difficulty but for the ENTIRE game. It doesn't seem to be very difficult, overall with dungeons and everything else factored in. That's what Ive gotten from the impressions here so far.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah the game is really easy because for the most part it's an adventure game. You can't really have difficulty when you are just running from one location to the next with no enemies between :p

Also the platforming bits catch you if you fall and bring you back up like the latest Prince of Persia, so there is no difficulty there.

The mini-games are pretty hard to fail.

Only place you can lose is in battle. But there is like 1 fight with 6-10 enemies every 30 mins and almost no bosses in the entire game.

GoldandBlue said:

Like the original
Ring of Fates
and Echoes of Time

hmmm, I forgot that bit in the original FFCC.

In here it's mainly just that the villain
kills a lot of innocent people on camera, which surprised me

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
hmmm, I forgot that bit in the original FFCC.

In here it's mainly just that the villain
kills a lot of innocent people on camera, which surprised me

Is the Yuke the main villain?

Bizzyb

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah the game is really easy because for the most part it's an adventure game. You can't really have difficulty when you are just running from one location to the next with no enemies between :p

Also the platforming bits catch you if you fall and bring you back up like the latest Prince of Persia, so there is no difficulty there.

The mini-games are pretty hard to fail.

Only place you can lose is in battle. But there is like 1 fight with 6-10 enemies every 30 mins and almost no bosses in the entire game.]

WTF?? What kind of FF game is this??

Bebpo

Banned
Bizzyb said:
WTF?? What kind of FF game is this??

It's not an RPG

It's loosely an arpg, but not really either. It's more an adventure game + mini-games + 15% arpg battling.

If you accept it for what it is, it's a good game.

ivysaur12 said:
Is the Yuke the main villain?

Now you're getting into real spoiler territory. SPOILERS
No
SPOILERS

Effect

Are the accounts of Square-Enix not doing anything significant or even on the small scale to promote this in Japan true? That they simply released it?

Bebpo

Banned
Effect said:
Are the accounts of Square-Enix not doing anything significant or even on the small scale to promote this in Japan true? That they simply released it?

They spent money on marketing. There were ads up in prominent places like the Shibuya crossing.

It's obviously not getting XIII level of marketing, but more than your average 3rd party Wii game probably.

Bebpo said:
They spent money on marketing. There were ads up in prominent places like the Shibuya crossing.

It's obviously not getting XIII level of marketing, but more than your average 3rd party Wii game probably.

And commercials.

Effect

7Th said:
I suppose this is game over for Itahana and his team...

Those sales numbers are just sad. The initial shipment was suppose to be double or triple that number as well. Should be interesting to see how it sells over time. I still don't understand why Square-Enix is releasing it in North America after Christmas. Like the day after. That still makes no sense to me. They should be releasing it the week before Christmas. So during the rush it gets bought up.

kiryogi

Banned
I think pictures are worth a thousand words and so I'm going to post mine. Going thru my shots tho, it's funny how many of them are similar to the ones Bebpo posted, so I'm gonna post what unique and maybe crap ones in comparison to his (My Chocobo shot fails)

ffcc1.png

ffcc2.png

ffcc3.png

ffcc4.png

ffcc5.png

ffcc6.png

ffcc7.png

ffcc8.png

ffcc9.png

ffcc10.png

ffcc11.png

ffcc12.png

ffcc13.png

ffcc14.png

ffcc16.png

ffcc17.png

Really though, it's the type of game that's surrounded by experiences. There's a lots of little things you can discover and experiment with.

- One example was I saw a lilty munchkin gawking at the balloon cart, so I grab one of the balloons and handed it to him and hes all happy. Or nearby there's this box that has a ball and bouquet in it. Grabbing the bouquet makes one of the local lility women chase you, and with the ball, you could give it to a kid or the woman and they'll kick it around.

- Another example, see that hot air balloon? It actually floats up and down and you can eventually just latch on for the ride. There's all sorts of interactions be it in the field or in the city.

- Some of these actions will score you reactions, and some are just little neat details. And speaking of the details, you can see that in the different moogles too. One of them was from the Echoes of Time contest winner, the other is a Layle moogle.

-Also as mentioned earlier, you can run into Chime in this game. She doesn't say anything, but it does score you an award. You can also dance with her.

Of course a big part of the experience itself is that it's really one hell of an adventure. I haven't had time to post impressions just because I've been playing it in long sessions into the morning :lol But let's see what else I can point out.

- Camera isn't bad at all IMO, but I've been always good with juggling camera systems. Z will let you center the camera. Holding it will let you go into a first person view in which you can move around and interact if you'd like. The dpad is used to adjust the camera when moving around. So I found that pretty sufficient. (I'm used to it from games like PSU)

- Motion controls I wish were a little more accurate, or I just fail at waggling in the proper direction. I find myself sometimes flinging the enemy the opposite way I wanted it to go and thus wasting more time.

- Bebpo is sorta right in that once you've traveled the world, that's all there is to it. But it's still fricken huge IMO. Really a ton of walking that's only cut down via Chocobo or with the Selkie trains.

- Battle can be frustrating in figuring out how to deal with enemies, but they do react in different ways depending how you approach them. But the big thing that gets to me is that there's a timer. You have to clear the mob within a certain time or else they go away and there goes your effort. Usually clearing an area for the first time will net you a life up.

But really what can be said for the game, Crystal Bearers is just full of charm and personality that the mainline FF has lacked for quite awhile now. I absolutely love it.

kiryogi said:
ffcc11.png

Really though, it's the type of game that's surrounded by experiences. There's a lots of little things you can discover and experiment with.

- One example was I saw a lilty munchkin gawking at the balloon cart, so I grab one of the balloons and handed it to him and hes all happy. Or nearby there's this box that has a ball and bouquet in it. Grabbing the bouquet makes one of the local lility women chase you, and with the ball, you could give it to a kid or the woman and they'll kick it around.

- Another example, see that hot air balloon? It actually floats up and down and you can eventually just latch on for the ride. There's all sorts of interactions be it in the field or in the city.

- Some of these actions will score you reactions, and some are just little neat details. And speaking of the details, you can see that in the different moogles too. One of them was from the Echoes of Time contest winner, the other is a Layle moogle.

-Also as mentioned earlier, you can run into Chime in this game. She doesn't say anything, but it does score you an award. You can also dance with her.

Of course a big part of the experience itself is that it's really one hell of an adventure. I haven't had time to post impressions just because I've been playing it in long sessions into the morning :lol But let's see what else I can point out.

- Camera isn't bad at all IMO, but I've been always good with juggling camera systems. Z will let you center the camera. Holding it will let you go into a first person view in which you can move around and interact if you'd like. The dpad is used to adjust the camera when moving around. So I found that pretty sufficient. (I'm used to it from games like PSU)

- Motion controls I wish were a little more accurate, or I just fail at waggling in the proper direction. I find myself sometimes flinging the enemy the opposite way I wanted it to go and thus wasting more time.

- Bebpo is sorta right in that once you've traveled the world, that's all there is to it. But it's still fricken huge IMO. Really a ton of walking that's only cut down via Chocobo or with the Selkie trains.

- Battle can be frustrating in figuring out how to deal with enemies, but they do react in different ways depending how you approach them. But the big thing that gets to me is that there's a timer. You have to clear the mob within a certain time or else they go away and there goes your effort. Usually clearing an area for the first time will net you a life up.

But really what can be said for the game, Crystal Bearers is just full of charm and personality that the mainline FF has lacked for quite awhile now. I absolutely love it.

Nice to hear; also, for the image I left in the quote, DAMN!

kiryogi

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Nice to hear; also, for the image I left in the quote, DAMN!

Haha that entire portion was so intense I almost forgot to take pictures even. What a thrill ride.

Also should mention that the information reel in the lower right always updates you on happenings or what's currently going on. IE during the dance portion, it'll announce what type of dance/song it's going to be. The Clavat step! The Selkie Tango! or the Alfuteria waltz! I admit that the one legit complaint famitsu has I agree with. The citizens should react a bit more when I'm messing with them. Some do, and they'll chase after me pissed off. Like I destroyed this stand at the beach, which made all the Selkies ladies chase after me and tried to kick me XD

ivysaur12

Banned
kiryogi said:

That really does sound good. How far are you into it?

Also, that cherry blossom area looks beautiful, I'd love to get a picture of it.

kiryogi

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
That really does sound good. How far are you into it?

Also, that cherry blossom area looks beautiful, I'd love to get a picture of it.

I'll make sure to grab a good one next time, and it's pretty neat in that you can grab certain types of blossoms that drop too. XD While length, I really don't know. like 12 hours in? Given I do explore/mess around a lot. Bebpo said he's much further than I am.

Bebpo

Banned
Weird, yeah I'm a decent bit past you at around 7-8 hours. What have you been doing all this time? Did you find the warp points? The good thing about Warping is that there are lots of warp points. The bad thing is you can't choose your exit point. It just warps you near your next story objective. Which is fine by me! But if you are exploring then lol.

I disagree completely about the game having the charm that's been lacking from mainline FF games. FFX and especially FFXII had a much more alive world that captured the FF magic. I get the feeling you're saying it has the happy and silly whimsicalness that's been missing from the FF mainline games...but uh, that's never really been the main FF series and I wouldn't want it to be :p FF has had silly stuff, but it's been decently serious adventures of life & death since the very first one. If I want silly whimsical I'll play Tales games.

Also there's only a timer for field areas where battles optional. In the main story dungeon(?) battles there is no timer. The timer is to add risk vs. reward. If you can clear all the enemies before the time runs out you get a heart piece.

And yeah I'll stick with that the camera is terrible. I play with my right thumb on the d-pad 90% of the time constantly adjusting the camera like I would on a dual analogue controller with my right thumb on the right analogue. Except a d-pad is awful for camera control compared to an analogue stick. It reminds me of Metal Gear Portable Ops and using the d-pad for the 3d camera.

But I agree it's a good adventure and a lot of fun. The NPCs in the world remind me of the A-life system in Nights. The characters walk around and interact with each other and you can mess with their interactions but doing various stuff. They don't have dialogue but they have emoticons indicating their mood.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
Weird, yeah I'm a decent bit past you at around 7-8 hours. What have you been doing all this time? Did you find the warp points? The good thing about Warping is that there are lots of warp points. The bad thing is you can't choose your exit point. It just warps you near your next story objective. Which is fine by me! But if you are exploring then lol.

I disagree completely about the game having the charm that's been lacking from mainline FF games. FFX and especially FFXII had a much more alive world that captured the FF magic. I get the feeling you're saying it has the happy and silly whimsicalness that's been missing from the FF mainline games...but uh, that's never really been the main FF series and I wouldn't want it to be :p FF has had silly stuff, but it's been decently serious adventures of life & death since the very first one. If I want silly whimsical I'll play Tales games.

Also there's only a timer for field areas where battles optional. In the main story dungeon(?) battles there is no timer. The timer is to add risk vs. reward. If you can clear all the enemies before the time runs out you get a heart piece.

And yeah I'll stick with that the camera is terrible. I play with my right thumb on the d-pad 90% of the time constantly adjusting the camera like I would on a dual analogue controller with my right thumb on the right analogue. Except a d-pad is awful for camera control compared to an analogue stick. It reminds me of Metal Gear Portable Ops and using the d-pad for the 3d camera.

But I agree it's a good adventure and a lot of fun. The NPCs in the world remind me of the A-life system in Nights. The characters walk around and interact with each other and you can mess with their interactions but doing various stuff. They don't have dialogue but they have emoticons indicating their mood.

I'm just right after the dance like we discussed. The portable ops thing is just psp cruelty IMO. At least the dpad here is on the other hand. So I can still move with my left on the analog and adjust with the right. Meanwhile on the PSP with MGS or Phantasy Star Portable even, it involves me having to use my left index or something to tweak the camera while my left thumb is on the nub. So I find this setup really comfortable. An analog would give it even better control in terms of precision, but it's pretty usable here.

On the whimisical note, I guess I worded that wrong. I didn't mean FF was missing it since, but I guess it's more like it's never really ventured on that side much outside of X2. But I personally love that kinda thing, that's probably why I'm a Tales player.

edit: I think what I'm looking for is that this is a "fun" Final Fantasy.

On the dungeon battles, I think there was one where it wasn't optional and it still vanished on me. It was right before the snow area. Though for you folks reading, it doesn't mean your chance to lifeup is gone forever. It just means you have to wait for the next encounter and refight all those enemies again.

Azure J

God damn, this game is beautiful. :O

That said though, would it be right to describe this game as one driven more by what a player fucks around with than it's actual progression?

Bizzyb

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's not an RPG

It's loosely an arpg, but not really either. It's more an adventure game + mini-games + 15% arpg battling.

If you accept it for what it is, it's a good game.

So then it's sorta like Twilight Princess? Not really a RPG but more like and action adventure game?

kiryogi

Banned
AzureJericho said:
God damn, this game is beautiful. :O

That said though, would it be right to describe this game as one driven more by what a player fucks around with than it's actual progression?

Depends on the player I guess. You'd still get a good ride with the main adventure, but like I said with the little details here and there. You can be kept busy for awhile if you're that type of player. I'm always exploring every nook and cranny. I'm also always trying to interact with whatever I can. If I see someone read a newspaper, you'll be damn sure that I'm going to snatch it up. If i see that an object can be interacted with, I'm going to toy around with it. If there are wanted posters, I'm going to tear them down. Actually one good example was when I found the dust chute in one of the towns. Once I figured out what it was, I tried tossing civilians in there. Low and behold, they come back all dirty and smelly. A bit later, messing with it triggers some garbage collecting moogles and suddenly makes all these bags of trash and recyclables show up. I take my time and try and dump every single one into the chute just to see if anything happens. This probably would explain the time difference between me and Bebpo tho. In fact, just found out he didn't there were enemies in a certain area. He thought it was just a town, But anyway yeah, it can be quite the experience type of game.

Bizzyb said:
So then it's sorta like Twilight Princess? Not really a RPG but more like and action adventure game?

Yeah, it's more an adventure game if anything. As Bebpo put it, it's pretty close to Zelda.

kiryogi

Banned
for ivysaur:
ffccact3.png

ffccact4.png

That's a nice fruit stand

ffccact8.png

Whoops

ffccact9.png

Uh, I don't think they appreciated that

ffccact10.png

RUN FOR IT!

ffccact11.png

That's gotta hurt

ffccact5.png

So this is the trash chute...

ffccact6.png

I wonder what happens if I tossed her in there and hit the switch...

ffccact7.png

She doesn't look too happy there.

ffccact12.png

The cow sure loves rolling that bale of hay into the wall...wait a minute is that a ghost?!

Top Bottom