• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers (TGS Trailer)

ivysaur12

Banned
5 hours in. I'm enjoying it a lot more since I've taken a break from the main story and have just been exploring and doing some side quests. There's a fun Majora's Mask Romani-type sidequest in one of the fields, and the Chocobo racing was great.

The game's at its best when I'm just throwing stuff around and watching what happens. That sounds boring, but it can be quite fun. Not as great when it's doing mini-games (though I'm 5 hours in and I'd say there've been maybe 4 or 5? If you can call them mini-games) and forcing me to battle (though I haven't tried any of the UMA stuff yet - are those more advanced monsters?). Some of the stuff from the miasma battles are kinda cool though: I just got pissed on by dogs, and
I created a mega-Skeleton by throwing three of them together.

The further I get into this game, the less I like it. It really feels like a fantastic game is trying to shine through, but wasn't really given much of a chance. I dunno.

This game is so frustrating

I want to like it, I want the game to do something to make me love because it always seems on the very cusp of it, but never quite makes it there

It seems like every so often, they made a concession to make the game simpler. And individually those concessions aren't so bad, but they pile on to make the game less than it should be and far less than it could be.

It's not that the game is BADLY made, I guess. The production values are through the roof, the characters are interesting, the tone is great, and some spots are actually pretty fun. Some people put a lot of work in to this game. It's just that the design decisions all coalesce to make the game more casual for an audience that will not look twice at the game.

There was potential here for something really amazing, something to show Square-Enix still has it in them to make Final Fantasy a trendsetting, innovative name consistently again. Instead, it's aggressively mediocre.

Yeah, I think that's actually a good way to put it. The game is trying to be mediocre.

EDarkness

ShockingAlberto said:

I want to like it, I want the game to do something to make me love because it always seems on the very cusp of it, but never quite makes it there

It seems like every so often, they made a concession to make the game simpler. And individually those concessions aren't so bad, but they pile on to make the game less than it should be and far less than it could be.

It's not that the game is BADLY made, I guess. The production values are through the roof, the characters are interesting, the tone is great, and some spots are actually pretty fun. Some people put a lot of work in to this game. It's just that the design decisions all coalesce to make the game more casual for an audience that will not look twice at the game.

There was potential here for something really amazing, something to show Square-Enix still has it in them to make Final Fantasy a trendsetting, innovative name consistently again. Instead, it's aggressively mediocre.

Yeah, I think that's actually a good way to put it. The game is trying to be mediocre.

This kind of thing is what I was afraid of when they were talking about a game "grandma" could play. No idea why these guys would sabotage their game by not making it for the audience who would be most interested in it.... It's totally sad.

MiniDitka

ShockingAlberto said:

Great description. I really wish I had rented this very disappointing game.

batbeg

I don't understand the "casual" complaints. I see it as having very sloppy gameplay, yes, but don't particularly understand how the design decisions reflect a casual nature - what do you mean by that? Just the lack of stat-crunching or tough difficulty, or...?

batbeg said:
I don't understand the "casual" complaints. I see it as having very sloppy gameplay, yes, but don't particularly understand how the design decisions reflect a casual nature - what do you mean by that? Just the lack of stat-crunching or tough difficulty, or...?

Same here. Just because it's more accessible to non-RPG players doesn't mean it's casual. I wouldn't even call the mini-games casual, at least in terms of content. I mean the very first thing you do in the game is
shoot down a bunch of dragons with a gatling gun while free falling
. You won't find that in Carnival Games.

MechaX

MiniDitka said:
Great description. I really wish I had rented this very disappointing game.

I might rent it now as well, but not solely for reasons above (although, those definitely help/hurt things). Some players on other forums mentioned that they beat the game in 8-10 hours and the game doesn't offer much replayability. For $50 for a game with some rather disappointing flaws, I could just get something like Dragon Age and get more bang for the buck. But I'm curious on the true extent of the replay value, however.

ivysaur12

Banned
Freyjadour said:
The further I get into this game, the less I like it. It really feels like a fantastic game is trying to shine through, but wasn't really given much of a chance. I dunno.

Eh, really? I'm sort of feeling the opposite. Besides forcing me to waggle for five minutes straight with little point, which might be the most heinous thing I've ever had to do in a Wii-game, it's produced some level of challenge (I still can't beat the big enemy with the sword) and some good side-quests. Then again, I've been mostly doing side quests, so maybe that's why.

I'm about 7 hours in now, and I had to stop to put it down based on the time. I'm having fun. It's definitely not perfect, not even a great game. Some of the mini-games are a lot worse than I imagined - the train and then one I just did were a complete waste of my time and I know I have more coming up. The camera is mediocre and the controls can be inpercise. But dammit, the story is great, the characters are good, and when the gameplay works, it works. The reaction system is neat and I think the medals will add a lot of replay value.

For those that finished it, I just
got back from the Yuke city.
How much longer in the main story do I have?

Almost 8 hours in. Just beat a really neat boss,
Blaze
. I wish there were more boss fights like this, especially since the whole concept of bearers is really underused in this game. Still, I'm having a blast and hope the game keeps up this pace. I'm loving the story as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished at about 12 hours, though I stopped with any of the side quests a while ago. Going to start a new game (and there are new cutscenes!) and focus just on the medals. Wooohooo.

Oh, and I liked it. High 7s, low 8s depending on the replayablity. I've recently found it's lack of a coherent map really annoying.

Bebpo

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Just finished at about 12 hours, though I stopped with any of the side quests a while ago. Going to start a new game (and there are new cutscenes!) and focus just on the medals. Wooohooo.

Oh, and I liked it. High 7s, low 8s depending on the replayablity. I've recently found it's lack of a coherent map really annoying.

Yeah when the famitsu review came out and they complain about the map it didn't make much sense...until you get to the end of the game and you're like "wait, where?" when the pointer is pointing just a general scope of land.

What kind of new cutscenes are there on new game+?

Holy crap. After killing a tonberry, I decided to wait for the monsters again. While waiting, I took a picture of the sky and the game freakin screams at me

2mqp3y8.jpg

I got a medal for it, too. o_o

ivysaur12

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah when the famitsu review came out and they complain about the map it didn't make much sense...until you get to the end of the game and you're like "wait, where?" when the pointer is pointing just a general scope of land.

What kind of new cutscenes are there on new game+?

That one part was ridiculous. I was literally sitting around throwing rubble for a solid 15 minutes trying to figure the map out.

And I just started the new game + (saved when I first got into town in the autosave), but the first cutscene before anything else is
Althea going to see her crystalized father in the battleship at night.
. The mini games also give you different options: you can have a REALLY powerful gun that shoots slow or a fast shooting weak gun in the first section, and you can change the speed of the Alexis in that mini-game. Kinda cool, and useful for getting different medals. There also is a moogle in Alfitaria where you can go and replay story-related mini-games.

kirbutashi said:
Holy crap. After killing a tonberry, I decided to wait for the monsters again. While waiting, I took a picture of the sky and the game freakin screams at me

I rushed through the game so I could get back to playing Spirit Tracks. I'm tempted now to go back and finish it so I can find stuff like this. And so I can defeat the stupid cursed nail.

Sqorgar

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

Sounds like a typical Akitoshi Kawazu game to me. I don't think he's made a game that can't be described that way... but bless his little heart, he makes some of the most unique games in the industry. That's why I love him.

This game was supposed to be released on December 26 2009 in NA, is everybody else playing the Japanese version or was the street date broken...?

Teknoman

kirbutashi said:

2mqp3y8.jpg

Everyone's Grudge?

Teknoman

Sohter.Nura said:
This game was supposed to be released on December 26 2009 in NA, is everybody else playing the Japanese version or was the street date broken...?

Gamestop has been selling it early since last week.

Teknoman said:
Everyone's Grudge?
Yes.

Also, how in the world do you kill Marlboro's? I've managed to figure out how to force open its mouth, that its tentacles leave behind giant pods, and that the fiery pods hurt it. But it heals itself quickly and I always run out of time while I fight it.

batbeg

Ten hours in now, and the game has really begun to grow on me more than I'd ever anticipated (and those who know me should realize how much that is). Once I became accustomed to the controls, my obsession with the reactions and seeking out all the mini games truly set in. Which is certainly not to say I think it's perfect by any means, but it's definitely shot up in my top ten of the year.

My one huge complaint is the time limit on the battles. Super frustrating, that is. While it's not inherently bad to make you find the correct strategy to win the fight quickly, it IS inherently bad to make you wait 5 minutes to try it again. This, in my opinion, is the only huge flaw of the game that is unforgivable, as everything else more or less just takes some getting used to.

Question: do the medals carry over to NG+?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I've got a quick question for people,

Some of the impressions have hacked away at my hype for the game, whereas my stance on the series is that I disliked the first and loved Ring of Fates, Echoes of Time didn't sell me (Ring of Fates over again is the vibe I got so I didn't bother) and the 2 wiiware games seemed bland.

Regardless of all that I was incredibly hyped for the game, especially in its uniqueness.

Now I have to ask, is it worth the hype? I know I'll get money / gift certificates as part of my Christmas presents (always do) and picking this game up shouldn't be a problem at all, its whether or not I really want it among other purchases I could make (Or just play the games I have figured out that I am getting, even though I think maybe one of them is from a list of games I am actually hyped for :lol )

batbeg

By the way, has anyone figured out how to take down the Iron Giants? I've been trying for a damn long time on them with no luck as of yet.

lsslave said:
Now I have to ask, is it worth the hype?

This is a really hard question for me now that I'm enjoying the game even more than before. But on the whole, I can offer a pretty definitive "No." The hype and expectations that people were placing on this game were never realistic, and the game simply doesn't have a chance in hell of living up to that kind of hype.

The game is great, I think. However, it is very sloppy, with a lot of unintuitive design decisions, and the camera frustrates a lot of people (I don't actually find it that bad; the IR seems more off than the camera, to me). If the game was not already on your radar and what you've been hearing doesn't sound appealing, I would say rent it or wait for the bargain bin.

batbeg

I've done that, but I can't figure out what else to do :( I've trying throwing pretty much everything at them or their cogs, speeding up or slowing down the cogs, trying to make them hit one another... I just can't figure it out. Which is kind of fun (except for when I have to wait 5 fucking minutes to try it again).

You any closer to deciding to open it or not?

I close it so it has trouble attacking me, than pelt it with magic coal and use the electric cats in the area to attack it with more electricity. Seems to bring them down just fine.

Just be sure to pummel it for quite a lot of medals. Hitting it in the head (similar to how you close its visor from the front) while its firing its laser seems to do a lot.

I was leaning toward not buying this, but after reading/watching a few reviews I think I'll stick with buying, most point out that is a flawed yet fun game, and thats okay for me.

batbeg

I'm 13 hours in and still not finished with the story, so I'm pleasantly surprised it isn't the 8 or whatever hours Bebpo had led me to believe. I've been doing a lot of additional stuff in addition to the main game, but there's also loads I've not done; the game has excellent replayability.

Why is there not an official thread for this yet?! :mad:

faridmon

batbeg said:
I'm 13 hours in and still not finished with the story, so I'm pleasantly surprised it isn't the 8 or whatever hours Bebpo had led me to believe. I've been doing a lot of additional stuff in addition to the main game, but there's also loads I've not done; the game has excellent replayability.

Why is there not an official thread for this yet?! :mad:
good news.
February can't come enough. SE EU sucks :(

Top Bottom