• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Explorers : more info from Famitsu magazine

L~A

Looks like Famitsu got an article about Final Fantasy Explorers in their latest issue, with some more details (and pics I guess, but no scans allowed anyway).

Famitsu preview:

BqVq0QPCQAATGVc.jpg:large

Aw man. I never saw this. I posted this in the other thread, so I'll just move it here:

Famitsu info has popped up.

• Supports local and internet multiplayer
  • About 20 jobs. Besides the already shown knight, white mage, monk, and black mage, there's also dragoon, paladin, thief, ninja, red mage, time mage, bard, and freelancer.
  • You can assign up to 8 abilities to various buttons in combat.
  • Even though it looks like Monster Hunter, it feels more like FF11/FF14-lite. Positioning and orientation is important, and there's an ability synergy system.
  • There's a combat log that shows damage numbers and such.
  • You can swap around weapons and armor, but you can also swap around abilities too. You can learn abilities on one job and use them on others.
  • However, the cost of abilities is different if used on a job they don't come from. For example, the cost of black magic is halved on black mage compared to other jobs.
  • Set on an island with many areas that you can freely explore
  • It'll be possible to recruit monsters you defeat. You can create a party of two players and two monsters (not sure if this is the only setup, but it's what's given)
  • There's lots to do after the main story is completed. They're talking 100~200 hours of play.
  • They're developing the game to give the spirit of FF in a multiplayer RPG.

Toshiyuki Itahana is credited for the image illustration, Atsushi Hashimoto is the director (no idea who he is), and Takahiro Abe is the project manager (CT DS, FFIV DS).

Okay, more credits have popped up for the game. Along with details on the director.

Director: Atsushi Hashimoto (Lead Planner on SaGa 2 DS, planner on Kid Icarus Uprising)
Logo/Key Art Design: Yoshitaka Amano
Character Supervisor: Toshiyuki Itahana
Design Supervisor: Gen Kobayashi
Composer: Tsuyoshi Sekito
Project Manager: Takahiro Abe
Producer: Hiroyuki Miura

Quite a number of the staff seem to have been involved with the DS SaGa remakes: Miura, Abe, Kobayashi, Hashimoto.

Reminder: game is coming out on the 3DS.

Tripon

Light version of FFXI and FFXIV....

Fine, I'll get my party based RPG on.

But does this mean online functionality?

Digging the expanded class list. Hopefully it turns out to be a good game. Unfortunately it'll be hard to find people to play with.

Zerojul

Looks like Famitsu got an article about Final Fantasy Explorers in their latest issue, with some more details (and pics I guess, but no scans allowed anyway).

Siliconera translated some of the info, and here's some excerpts:

More classes confirmed: Dragoon, Paladin, Thief, Ninja, Red Mage, Time Mage, and Bard. You can assign up to 8 abilities to the various buttons.

Might give it a shot. Dragoon for me.

Aeana

Aw man. I never saw this. I posted this in the other thread, so I'll just move it here:

• About 20 jobs. Besides the already shown knight, white mage, monk, and black mage, there's also dragoon, paladin, thief, ninja, red mage, time mage, bard, and freelancer.
  • Even though it looks like Monster Hunter, it feels more like FF11/FF14-lite. Positioning and orientation is important, and there's an ability synergy system.
  • You can swap around weapons and armor, but you can also swap around abilities too. You can learn abilities on one job and use them on others.
  • However, the cost of abilities is different if used on a job they don't come from. For example, the cost of black magic is halved on black mage compared to other jobs.
  • It'll be possible to recruit monsters you defeat. You can create a party of two players and two monsters (not sure if this is the only setup, but it's what's given)
  • There's lots to do after the main story is completed. They're talking 100~200 hours of play.

L~A

• Even though it looks like Monster Hunter, it feels more like FF11/FF14-lite. Positioning and orientation is important, and there's an ability cooperation system.

Thanks a bunch, I'll add all that info in the OP instead:

• You can learn abilities on one job and use them on others.
*drools*

As for parties of two players and two monsters, it probably works just like in MH, you can't bring your felyne companion on quests with three or four players. (yes, yet another similarity, lol)

georly

If the game is fun in the first place, it'll probably be fun in single player too. Good gameplay mechanics are good gameplay mechanics.

I'm often willing to put up w/ mediocre gameplay mechanics because playing w/ friends is more fun than the game itself. Side-scrolling beat-em-ups or Diablo-type games come to mind. Incredibly boring, tedious, monotonous when playing solo but really fun when playing w/ friends. The monster hunter genre is still fun solo but 10 times more fun when playing w/ friends.

Interesting, seems a truly RPG system, unlike MH. FF 14 Battle system is great, so it really picled my intrerest.

Gambit

that sounds amazing!

I am hoping for job variety like in Bravely Default.

Maybe one day a job system will let me play as a Musketeer.

duckroll

Might as well quote my post in the other thread here as well:

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201406/17055338.html

p0O8XyY.jpg

Toshiyuki Itahana is credited for the image illustration, Atsushi Hashimoto is the director (no idea who he is), and Takahiro Abe is the project manager (CT DS, FFIV DS). There's going to be more stuff in the actual magazine feature, but the short extract in the preview article confirms that the game will have both local and online multiplayer, and that while they're aware that people think of Crystal Chronicles when they think of a multiplayer FF, this game will play differently and have more emphasis on the action. They also mention that it's similar to other "multiplayer online games" which I guess suggests it'll have a hub/lobby system which lead into missions.

Some of the info is a bit outdated now, since there is much clearer information. :)

Oh and from the Twitter account we also know that Tsuyoshi Sekito is the game's composer.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
No word yet regarding online multiplayer? I can get behind the premise, hope it turns out good and comes out in EU.

Aswell

Do we know if the online multiplayer will require players to pay a monthly fee such as they do in FFXI and FFXIV?

Top Bottom