• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2011: This year it's for children!

Omnicent

Link Man said:
Quick update, got to just before the underground waterway. Yay Regole and your fine Hi-Potions!

FinalFantasy5Advance_11.png

Also, chain whip is quite great considering.

Dude you have beast master. They are like batman and with prep own most bosses up til post ex-death (capture x4 breath attack monsters and watch ex-death die in 4 turns. Most satisfying fight I had from last years playtrough.

An yeah Grumpy thats what I did last year, control makes it easy to get ABP.
And yeah Megaflare is meh, just go get some sandbears and lay waste to any world 1 and a good portion of the world 2 bosses.

Here is my playlist from last year
Didn't upload world 2 though I completed it. BST cleans shop up till the Crystal fight (and even then you reck them, just needs a bit more work).

BST Action starts around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jza3aksoxU&feature=BFa&list=PL087BD75CF28D24B4&index=17

Basically release is a free 3000 - 9999 damage once you start getting good monsters.

Omnicent said:
Dude you have beast master. They are like batman

:lol

Man God said:
The script differences between the FF Anthologies release of FFV and the Advance version are incredible.

FF V on the PSX is boring and makes no sense. FFVa is hilarious and makes perfect sense. It tells you right out the whole Enuo/Exdeath scenario in a very humorous way.

Yes, some of the references are a bit deated, yes, some of the puns are terrible. But all in all, it's a fantastic localization.

I hated FFV when I first played it on the PSX. Now its probably my second favorite FF game.

Long before I'd ever played the GBA version, I had a conversation with -- I think duckroll? -- about how FFV was really written like a Shakespearean comedy -- cross-dressing, twins, pirates, people being lost at sea, the whole shebang. I said at the time that if they ever made an FF3/4-style remake* they should really play that angle up -- but the GBA translation does almost exactly what I was imagining already.

* :(

Aeana

charlequin said:
:lol

Long before I'd ever played the GBA version, I had a conversation with -- I think duckroll? -- about how FFV was really written like a Shakespearean comedy -- cross-dressing, twins, pirates, people being lost at sea, the whole shebang. I said at the time that if they ever made an FF3/4-style remake* they should really play that angle up -- but the GBA translation does almost exactly what I was imagining already.

* :(
Remake needs a laugh track.

DarkKyo

I got two knights and two summoners and I can't seem to lick the fire boss in front of the fire crystal on the ship. Any pointers? I think my guys are all level 17, is that too low or something? I could get through the dungeon with such ease which is why the boss is surprising me.

Aeana

Dechaios said:
I got two knights and two summoners and I can't seem to lick the fire boss in front of the fire crystal on the ship. Any pointers? I think my guys are all level 17, is that too low or something? I could get through the dungeon with such ease which is why the boss is surprising me.
With two summoners you should be able to destroy it with Shiva. If you don't have Shiva, she's at the back of Walse castle.

Just got the airship. The Lobster boss took two swipes of my Mystic Knight's Thundara blade. And the line that comes after is so good...

"That Lobster just got served!"

"With cheese biscuits and mashed potatoes!"

Oh man. I hate reading that while hungry. Its funny because when I first played the GBA version I had lobster and cheese biscuits for the first time together because it sounded so good. Knew I had to try it.

Hoping I don't get Samurai for my final job. Might as well give me a free ticket to beat the game.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Boney said:
@Boneysucks has gotten the Water Crystal Shards and unlocked 'Summoner'. Side quest time!

Oh man :(

I guess this is good?

zankura said:
Just got Summoner. Any tips? I have never played FFV before.

Summoners are awesome in FFV. Here's my blurb on my Summoners after beating last year's fiesta:
Summoner

The heart and soul of the team. Every single member of the party used !Summon as their second ability (except for, of course, the actual Summoner) for almost the entire game. Why? Because summons rock. Summons do awesome damage, although, like black magic, their power relative to enemy strength does wax and wane at times, but summons are so much more than dealing damage. Summons like Chocobo gave me a relatively powerful physical attack early on when I otherwise had none. Sylph, while incredibly weak, still proved useful in healing the party just barely enough to get me out of danger. And, of course, the most important summons. Golem. Carbuncle. Phoenix. These three are almost game breaking in their usefulness, especially in a party like mine that is completely lacking in white magic, making concerns about getting healing spells through reflect a non-issue. Golem is a huge boon for a party that is basically all magic. With low HP and weak physical defense, physical attacks could easily wreck my team. Hell, Exdeath's normal physicals were hitting the Golem wall for nearly DOUBLE some of my characters' max HP level. Golem completely neutralizes that concern. Carbuncle might be even more useful, the MVP of the team, due to its dual ability of both keeping my party safe from most enemy magic AND being one of my top offensive weapons. With Carbuncle reflecting the party, I could turn my multi-target black magic spells on the party and have them bounce back onto a single enemy for double the damage a normal casting of the spell would have caused for the same amount of MP. This increased my party's ability to deal damage massively, all at once. And finally, Phoenix, the get out of jail free card. Being able to revive completely rejuvenated meant it was often better to just let characters close to death stay that way. They would either die and immediately get revived with Phoenix back to full HP and MP, or they would stay alive and continue to deal damage without interruption. The MP cost of Phoenix is high, but with the entire party having access to it (and half the party wearing Gold Hairpins anyway), this cost is largely irrelevant. Oh, and can't forget Catoblepas. I didn't use you often, but when I did you suuuuuure came in handy! :lol

Simply put, if you draw Summoner, your route to beating the game is all but assured. I didn't even talk about the uber damage dealing summons!

Link Man

Banned
Omnicent said:
Dude you have beast master. They are like batman and with prep own most bosses up til post ex-death (capture x4 breath attack monsters and watch ex-death die in 4 turns. Most satisfying fight I had from last years playtrough.
I'll keep that in mind, but I think Two-Handed will be more important in the long run. Plus I have Zeninage for multiple enemies, and my Berserker will make capturing enemies a downright pain.

Boney

Banned
Dechaios said:
Errr, nevermind.
Just head south.

Now I need to find Golem. Is any Summon missable? Got Ramuh, Ifrit and Shiva and the ones you buy and I'm storming my way to get the earth crystal.

Boney said:
Now I need to find Golem. Is any Summon missable? Got Ramuh, Ifrit and Shiva and the ones you buy and I'm storming my way to get the earth crystal.

Don't quote me on this because I never use summons but I think you have all of World 1s.
Okay wait yeah there's Titan as well.

Link Man

Banned
Boney said:
Just head south.

Golem is a little bit later, in a place called Drakenvale.

Ultratech

Update: Made it past Drakenvale; boss actually didn't give me any trouble.

Ninja threw Fire Scrolls to get rid of the little plants, while I had my Blue Mage and Mystic Knight use Bio Spellblade on the main boss. Dragoon just Jumped...not like he does much else besides acting as my pseudo-Blue Mage/Knight hybrid.

And I got Bone Mail! At least it's useful with my team since my main healing right now comes from Vampire. When I get White Wind later, that still works great since it's not Holy.

Also, Level 4 Graviga and Level 5 Death are AWESOME. Did some AP and Gil farming at Bal, so I managed to get some stuff learned (from what few useful things there are to learn from my classes...at least I got Dual-Wield, !Blue, and !Spellblade). Poor Dragoon got the short end of the stick when it came to Abilities.

DarkKyo

Hmm wtf? I just got "bard" according to the twitter account but for some reason bard didn't unlock with all my other fire jobs. Wtf do I do now?

LegatoB

Have I mentioned how pleased I am with the successively crueler laughter of the bot as it assigns Berserker to people with each passing day? Nice touch.

It's time to bring down the barrier!

Went through Drakenvale, grabbed the treasures, and rescued Golem, even though I cannot use it. I was lucky enough that Berserker Bartz, equipped with a Dancing Dagger, Charmed the Bone Dragon. Bartz also managed to deal most of his damage to the enemy, Sword Dancing the Zombie Dragon, giving White Mage Galuf enough time to cast Protect on Golem a few times to reduce the effectiveness of the undead monsters' attacks. Soon, the Bone Dragon went down too, saving the Golem.

As for the Dragon Pod and Flowers boss, the non-stop !Gaia attacks from Geomancer Lenna, White Mage Galuf, and Samurai Faris, completely destroyed them. I was lucky enough to have !Gaia Earthquake come up most of the time, killing all of the flowers at once before they could attack, and extremely lucky to have !Gaia Cave-in hit the Dragon Pod when it was alone. Of course, I had to hike back down the mountain, but it was good for Gil, EXP, and ABP.

After going back to Bal Castle and curing the Wind Drake, I went off to Xezat's Castle, grabbed the treasure, bought a Poison Axe for Bartz, and a katana for my Samurai. By this time, Lenna had mastered the Geomancer class, so I changed her back to White Mage to finish mastering that Job. Faris became a Geomancer to finish mastering it, and Galuf is now a Samurai. At Xezat's Fleet, the Gobbledygooks were no trouble, since !Gaia Whirlpool and !Gaia Big Wave took care of them quickly. The battle with Gilgamesh and Enkidu went smoothly, as Enkidu is susceptible to !Gaia Whirlpool, and the physical attacks of Bartz and Galuf did quite a bit of damage against Gilgamesh himself each turn.

The Barrier Tower should be... interesting. Hope I can do well against Atomos.

DarkKyo

Oh man... this is my first playthrough and I'm loving it but since it's my first I'm so tempted to step off the track and spirit of this Fiesta and go crazy with my own job combos....

Link Man

Banned
So yeah, I just spent a very frustrating half hour trying to catch a Kornago (eventually did). As I said before, trying to use !Catch with a Berserker is almost more trouble than it's worth.

Dechaios said:
Oh man... this is my first playthrough and I'm loving it but since it's my first I'm so tempted to step off the track and spirit of this Fiesta and go crazy with my own job combos....
I'm gonna do that with my second playthrough.

Oh, FFV, why have I never played you sooner?

That's crazy.
Given the first opportunity I'd kill off the Berserker unless I was absolutely sure I had to hit things over the head.

What a cruel joke. Even the second worst class can still toss items around.

* >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Berserker.

Boney

Banned
So I'm thinking I should probably get the Flame Rings and the Coral Rings before I go to the second world right?

It's just that they're so damn expensive :(

Boney said:
So I'm thinking I should probably get the Flame Rings and the Coral Rings before I go to the second world right?
What's your party again?

Actually I just looked it up...Hmm. Having the rings won't be a huge deal I don't think. You'll get Golem and Carbuncle in world 2 and that'll give you Image and Reflect for everyone...although Carbuncle isn't until towards the very end....tough one.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Any tips on taking down the Soul Gun with Mystic Knight x 2 / White Mage / Geomancer? Do I need to buy coral angel rings or should I be able to handle it if I just level up more? I have Esuna.

Aeana

A Human Becoming said:
Any tips on taking down the Soul Gun with Mystic Knight x 2 / White Mage / Geomancer? Do I need to buy coral rings or should I be able to handle it if I just level up more? I have Esuna.
You shouldn't be having any trouble with that group. Thundara sword, use the healing staff to heal people quickly. Geomancer is going to be pretty much useless for attacking, but if s/he has !White s/he could help heal.

B.K.

I'm grinding gil now so I can get Flame Rings. I'm up to 80,000 now. It's going to take a long time to get the other 120,000....

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Aeana said:
You shouldn't be having any trouble with that group. Thundara sword, use the healing staff to heal people quickly. Geomancer is going to be pretty much useless for attacking, but if s/he has !White s/he could help heal.

Aging has been my biggest problem, but I suppose with healing staff it should be doable.

EDIT: Still getting my ass kicked. Grinding/Angel Rings for me. :\

Emitan

Cyan said:
Annnnnnd got Time Mage. I think I'd be more appreciative if I didn't already have White Mage. Dealing damage might become a problem... On the other hand, rods.
Eventually.........you get Comet which seems to be pretty decent (I have a Thief, Ranger, and Chemist, I'll take what I can get)

Kyuur

Started playing tonight with my girlfriend! Got Blue Mage for my first job. : ) She got Thief, much harder, especially considering its her first time playing through.

Aero is fun.

FNZu3.png
XomXQ.png
ZL0C8.png

ttCxN.png
4XpiY.png
sKmcj.png

3FAmw.png
I4sO0.png
albrk.png

I always liked this scene, so purty.

YuFa7.png

...and then I met this bastard again. But I stole his goods, using all my phoenix downs! MUAHAHAHA!

TXXaB.png

Decided to go for Shiva afterwards, cause she hurts. And then...

IzncC.png

xbJ2p.png

Summoner isn't bad at all! :)

As for my girlfriend... Berserker + Thief, on first playthrough. So brutal. xD

DMG-01

Update #4 (?)

CEKjy.png
S9bk5.png

As usual, Gilgamesh wasn't too much trouble aside from him statusing my party a couple times.

AV4ZS.png

On the other hand, Exdeath was a huge problem... until I farmed 50 Dragon Fangs to mix with Holy Waters for a Holy attack that did ~2000 a hit and gave everyone in my party !Mix. This was when I started to see the value in Chemists.

ZN375.png

Antlion was another "mash the A button" boss. Nothing to see here.

3hYv5.png

This will be the only group of Gargoyles that I'm going to include because all of the fights went the same way: Berserk via mixing on of them and then Break Spellblade them both, starting with the non-berserked. If they weren't susceptible to Berserk, I don't know how I'd manage to win any of the fights without ripping my hair out.

InIcC.png

I'll admit, I got lucky that Melusine decided to switch to a form nonresistant to physical damage. Basically, I Sleep Spellbladed her and berserk/haste/image'd Faris using my now favorite !Mix combination of Holy Water and Maiden's Kiss. I think I might have Samson Power'd Faris once or twice too.

EVpuA.png
6IVnU.png

Next up was Wendigo. This boss is really annoying, but I managed to win with my cheapo tactics of Ice Shield, Samson Power, Drain Spellblade, Kiss of Blessing (that one mix), and patience.

QAjI7.png
LJ6Q1.png
fxi7x.png
ie8NM.png

I didn't come into the first of the two tower fights with a strategy other than mash the A button and Kiss of Blessing Bartz. As it turned out, that's all I needed. As for the second fight, I Silence Spellbladed the boss and proceeded to normal attack him for what felt like an hour. As pictured, I was dealing ~360 a turn and he was healing ~175 every other turn.

AV3sb.png

I missed the killshot on Gogo because I was busy reading this thread. Whoops. Super hard fight, but I managed to win unscathed.

aFcId.png

This fight was similar to the Gargoyle fights in that it would have been extremely difficult for me without a weakness to exploit. Lucky for me, the triplets were weak to Odin which I summoned courtesy of the ever useful Magic Lamp.

1ln8W.png

Last on the side bosses that I'm going to fight was Leviathan. With Kiss of Blessing, Samson Power, and Thundaga Spellblade, he was a pushover. Also, I learned that you can get the tablet without fighting him. Not that I would do that though. After all, I was there to fight him, not get the useless tablet.

YTtc6.png

And after all of that tablet collecting, I ransacked the remaining 9 weapons (all of the ones not pictured).

Tomorrow: THE VOID
E7ozf.png

Teppic said:
Explain to me how to use Twitter so I can register for this.
It's in the OP, but I guess I'll help.

If you have any plans on using Twitter past this event, then go ahead and use your main email address. Otherwise, just make a new one for Twitter.

Once you've got your account all set up, follow the FF5ForFutures account. Once you've done that, click on "Home" and type the following (there's only one place to type stuff, so it's not hard to find): @FF5ForFutures #reg

Send it, then after a minute or two, you'll get a reply telling you what your first job is. Afterwards, you do the same thing replacing "#reg" with "#water/fire/earth, depending on which you've gotten so far.

Top Bottom