• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2017: Don't talk about the #FifthJob

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wind crystal is Freelancer! HO BOY. This will be interesting, I don't think I've ever done Freelancer only until the Water crystal before.

Freelancer is really powerful in world 1 due to the weapons available to them. You can get the Ashura and Healing Staff before going to Walse, Ashura is one of the best weapons available in world 1 and the healing staff can be useful for the entire game. I got white mage from the earth crystal so whoever has that job is going to be holding it the entire game.

Up to Gilgamesh on the bridge and I'm probably going to have to grind. Sub-200HP just isn't going to cut it anymore.

So this is my first time doing the fiesta, and I got thief and berserker. I'm up to the steamship. Any advice to get through this besides grinding? Can I go steal some hi-potions anywhere?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Knight and Monk (Long time no Monk) for my jobs in both of my Berserker Risk runs.

Still no Blue Mage. All these years, all these runs. No Blue Mage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Poltergeists in the Fire Powered Ship have Hi-Potions as a common steal.

And they are a 100% encounter (sometimes two per encounter) in one of the rooms. It's the one with a chest across from the door on the other side of a conveyor belt.

You will want to stock up on a LOT of high potions with thief+berserker. That's the only place to get them before the second world, and you may end up needing a whole lot of them. The next few bosses can be a real challenge with those two jobs.

Zelias

Banned
You will want to stock up on a LOT of high potions with thief+berserker. That's the only place to get them before the second world, and you may end up needing a whole lot of them. The next few bosses can be a real challenge with those two jobs.
Heh, no kidding. Byblos has been a huge wall for me on this run.

Nairume

Banned
Started my chaos run a little while ago and just got up to the fire crystal. Hilariously, I got a water crystal job (Summoner) for my wind crystal job, so I had to go freelancer up to Garula. Of course, my reward for beating Garula was a wind crystal job (knight)

And now I'm saddled with ranger as my Fire Crystal job, so that's off the table for just a little longer. This run rocks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Freelancer has zero drawbacks in world one. It's probably the most balanced class. You don't even notice the lack of stat bonuses because you can use the best equipment to make up for it.

Zelias

Banned
Byblos sucks against Berserkers actually.
They can blow right through him.
I had to grind a bit to be able to outdamage him once he started spamming Drain. Did it eventually though. Only boss I really had a any trouble with.

Thief/Berserker/Bard/Samurai this year.

Free's drawback is not progressing. you can crush everything but you won't get any skills as a reward. it's more boring than restrictive.

I've got a Thief/Ninja/Ninja/Mystic Knight team with a fifth job coming. fastest team in the game!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
W2 crystals take forever with a death sickle. Berserker swings randomly to try to inflict death and the white mage is playing neutral healer, healing everyone with the heal staff. Both my characters and the enemies.

20 minutes and two down so far.

Three down, maybe the last one will go quicker.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
W2 crystals take forever with a death sickle. Berserker swings randomly to try to inflict death and the white mage is playing neutral healer, healing everyone with the heal staff. Both my characters and the enemies.

20 minutes and two down so far.

Three down, maybe the last one will go quicker.

Yeah it's all luck and it gets dicey if they do too much damage, even if you heal them. With a WM its not so bad as you can use Curaga if it really gets bad.

Renmyra

Got Chemist as my fifth job. Mime/Zerk/Zerk/Chem. No idea how the job works or what equipment to use. Hopefully it's good.

Nairume

Banned
Haha, I got dancer for my Earth Crystal job.

Knight, Summoner, Ranger, Dancer is going to certainly be interesting.

OmegaDL50

I just signed up for a FF1 regular run.

I got Monk, Red Mage, Red Mage, and Monk.

No high end spells but I shouldn't have problems with combat with my Monk's punching everything up. Sucks I won't have Curaga, but at least double cast will help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sandworm with all Berserkers is just rough. Doing it with one is nearly impossible without super overleveling. Four doesn't make it much easier. If I ever got that draw I'd restart it on an emulator just so I could FF.

Ourobolus

Banned
Sandworm with all Berserkers is just rough. Doing it with one is nearly impossible without super overleveling. Four doesn't make it much easier. If I ever got that draw I'd restart it on an emulator just so I could FF.
I'll have 2 Beastmasters, so it I doable just annoying since I couldn't steal and Hi-Potions

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll have 2 Beastmasters, so it I doable just annoying since I couldn't steal and Hi-Potions

Well then, not too bad.

I've decided that I'm going to do two runs every month. After the first two I'm going to try and figure out the best way to get Blue Mages again.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Last crystal was taking forever. Gave up on it and decided to try killing it outright. Would have done it earlier if not for the fact it was one of the ones that used non-reflectable magic. Shell was just enough to not die to Aqua Breath so I was able to win.

Well then, not too bad.

I've decided that I'm going to do two runs every month. After the first two I'm going to try and figure out the best way to get Blue Mages again.

750 Random? 1/3 from Wind and at least a slight chance at every other crystal.

Looks like I'm starting this year out with the Knight. So damage is pretty much taken care of, just need to hope for a source of healing from the next 3 jobs.

gardfish

Decided to give this a shot, even though I played through FF5 fairly recently. My Wind Crystal job is White Mage; happy for the healing, but not sure how damage dealing's gonna go for the first bit of the game. At the very least it should serve me well in the ship graveyard.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to give this a shot, even though I played through FF5 fairly recently. My Wind Crystal job is White Mage; happy for the healing, but not sure how damage dealing's gonna go for the first bit of the game. At the very least it should serve me well in the ship graveyard.

Make sure you get the flail at the start of the ship graveyard. That will basically be your damage output for Magissa and Garula.

atbigelow

So with a regular run, can I have any combination of jobs for my characters so long as its the ones I was assigned? Or do I just have to guarantee at least one character is using a job at any time?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So with a regular run, can I have any combination of jobs for my characters so long as its the ones I was assigned? Or do I just have to guarantee at least one character is using a job at any time?

The two rules are

1. You can only use the assigned jobs
2. Every assigned job has to be used

You can mix and match your characters, abilities, and assigned jobs however you like beyond that.

Got to the top of Exdeath's castle and beat Gilgamesh, only to realize how poorly prepared I was (no holy water, only a few phoenix downs, no high potions). At least the second trip up should be a little quicker since I don't have any chests to loot.

neoemonk

I do a run every year, and have completed this every time since 2012. Last summer I picked the game up for $8 on a Steam Sale but I had already started my run, so this is my first time playing it on Steam. I've done GBA every other time, except for once when I decided to take the PSN version for a spin.

I'm still early on in the game, but the character portraits are certainly interesting. I don't know how the overall quality of the port is, but I imagine it will be tough to top the GBA version. Still, nice to play on the monitor instead of my old DS Lite (she's getting long in the tooth).

Ourobolus

Banned
I do a run every year, and have completed this every time since 2012. Last summer I picked the game up for $8 on a Steam Sale but I had already started my run, so this is my first time playing it on Steam. I've done GBA every other time, except for once when I decided to take the PSN version for a spin.

I'm still early on in the game, but the character portraits are certainly interesting. I don't know how the overall quality of the port is, but I imagine it will be tough to top the GBA version. Still, nice to play on the monitor instead of my old DS Lite (she's getting long in the tooth).
Mobile >= GBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>PSN

EDIT: What was I thinking, that should be GBA>=Mobile>>>>>>>>>PSN

So far I've gotten Chemist/Berzerker/Chemist. I'm excited for the chemists but quadzerking through until the Earth Crystal will be a lot of grinding. Where is the best place to grind after the Fire Crystal?

neoemonk

Mobile >= GBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>PSN

The Steam reviews aren't great for FFV, but I wanted to try it once. PSN was awful with the load times and I'll never do it again.

I got Blue Mage for my first job, and I learned a spell even though it killed me. I think that's new in Steam/mobile.

agradine

Monk -> Beastmaster -> Black Mage -> Berserker

Seems like a fun party; I think my plan is:

Beastmaster with !Focus & Chicken Knife
Black Mage with Equip Whips and Fire Lash
Berserker with Black Magic and Rune Axe/Titan Hammer
Monk with... I don't know. Probably !Catch/!Release? I'm on Mobile so it's not like it's that useful. Maybe Equip Axe so they can do some actual damage?

Kyuur

g5XGswZ.jpg
AjRAQwU.jpg
hoUZR0J.jpg
XHKivVQ.jpg

Wind to Water done! Siren gave me the most trouble with only 4 potions to healbomb her undead form. Grinded a bit, got some elixir drops and ended up winning due to the fact that she forgot to cast Haste/Protect. Being able to equip shields on everybody was nice (especially for Garula and the basement) and early Whip is amazing.

Freelancer is really powerful in world 1 due to the weapons available to them. You can get the Ashura and Healing Staff before going to Walse, Ashura is one of the best weapons available in world 1 and the healing staff can be useful for the entire game. I got white mage from the earth crystal so whoever has that job is going to be holding it the entire game.

Yeah, I didn't even think about it this way. I can even break rods! Ez-mode.

Got Monk for my second job. More attack spamming lies ahead!

Ainaurdur

Getting some crap RNG in the Ship Graveyard still only have two out of four Daggers for my all Thief party. Feels like I might hit level 10 before the Skeletons release their bony grasp upon the final hilt.

Kyuur

And there goes Water to Fire! I sometimes forget how awesome Monks are. Kick clears groups like nobodies business and Focus deals out the damage (Gigas chests were super easy, avoid the counter)! Liquid Flame takedown credit to Freelancer thanks to rod breaking though: I don't even remember how the heck that boss' forms work since I seem to get a rod breaker every run. Maybe a No750 is in my future.

Dancer for my third job so this is my crew for a while. Glad I managed to pick up all the items in the castle, extra Ribbon and Main Gauche will come in handy later!

gardfish

Make sure you get the flail at the start of the ship graveyard. That will basically be your damage output for Magissa and Garula.

Man, I'm glad you told me that--15+ years of playing this game and I literally never even realized there was a flail there. Even with it, battles are dragging on, but it definitely beats everyone just holding a staff.

Beat Magissa, and I'm appreciating WM's decent early-game support moveset--Silence and Protect both served me well in that fight.

EDIT: I'm eating my words about appreciating support movesets now, lol. Got my Water Crystal job, and it's Time Mage. I could really use an offensive job or two in the mix here :p

Black Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dragoon

Did a random run and got a normal run draw.

Little bit of synergy with Rune Axe berserker + Black and Lance on the mage for infinite MP, but it's mostly going to be catch/release spam on bosses. And I can run from everything and just exp grind on shield dragons, so there's that.

Nairume

Banned
I started a second run with the ff1 rules and got Monk, Red Mage, Thief, and Black Mage. So far, just power leveling Butz as a monk let me coast enough to get Lenna into her Red Mage class.

Thief will be nice for situational stuff, but I guess he'll be the main deadweight of the party.

Top Bottom