• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (DS) official site opens (now with VIDEO!!)

That logic for heal spells doesn't work in practice. It's the same as Ogre Battle used, and that's the one area where the AI failed miserably.

Say you have two party members:

Priest 181/183 HP
Knight 200/350 HP

Who gets the heal? Not the person that actually needs it.
This is actually a very clever nerf to the "spam heal spell" strategy that plagues a lot of RPGs. I assume healing is triggered when you press "Cure" on the screen, and not fully automated.

What this will mean is that the best course of action is to not heal this turn, and wait until one gets damaged that will want it more. The Knight is probably packing Def, and can afford to wait to get healed anyway.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I also wonder how they'll work with not letting you aim even for a certain group of enemies. Like how will the characters decide what to kill first when there's a battle where some of the enemies only do buffs and debuffs while the rest attacks aggressively, or during a boss that has respawning minions, or two boss-type enemies at the same time with different attack patterns and characteristics (like, magic user and melee). And so on.

It would be a shame if such varied fights weren't present due to the non-targeting scheme, but then again they may come up with completely new and interesting group formations and bosses because there's non-targeting. It's pretty much like CTLance said, without more details there's not much to chew on besides the fact that at first the idea sounds weird and a bit disappointing.

Totakeke

KittenMaster said:
This is actually a very clever nerf to the "spam heal spell" strategy that plagues a lot of RPGs. I assume healing is triggered when you press "Cure" on the screen, and not fully automated.

What this will mean is that the best course of action is to not heal this turn, and wait until one gets damaged that will want it more. The Knight is probably packing Def, and can afford to wait to get healed anyway.

So the best way to nerf an effective spell is to make it more frustrating?

Yeah, no.

duckroll

Some new details from Dengeki as well:

- Tokita says that originally the expected completion time for the game was about 30 hours in the planning stage, but when the game was completed, it's closer to about 40 hours.

- Correction about inventory. It seems that each -character- can carry a total of 15 items. I believe this also includes their own equipment as well. There will be no item stacking, and gems are not counted towards this total.

- Auto-targeting in battles make the battles go by much faster.

- There will be many, many side-quests which are optional and not part of the main story.

- When you switch characters because of plot reasons (like in certain RE games I assume), you can exchange items with the previous inventory using hiding places.

duckroll said:

- Tokita says that originally the expected completion time for the game was about 30 hours in the planning stage, but when the game was completed, it's closer to about 40 hours.

- Correction about inventory. It seems that each -character- can carry a total of 15 items. I believe this also includes their own equipment as well. There will be no item stacking, and gems are not counted towards this total.

- There will be many, many side-quests which are optional and not part of the main story.

- When you switch characters because of plot reasons (like in certain RE games I assume), you can exchange items with the previous inventory using hiding places.

This all sounds pretty great to me. 15 item inventories just means the game is more like DQ than FF in terms of inventory.

duckroll said:

I like changes, so I'm still hard waiting for this one !

eggandI

Banned
The auto targeting actually sounds really good. I've fucked up a lot of boss fights in past FF games because I targeted the wrong person haha.

duckroll

Pennywise83 said:
A cam footage from TGS 09:

Wow, very nice footage. It's interesting to see how much detail this game has considering how "simple" the presentation is. The NPCs have nice minor idle animations, the minotaur boss actually loses his horns one by one as he gets damaged, the cave is initially too dark to explore unless you use a torch, etc. Looks like it could be quite a fun adventure to play. Can't wait.

duckroll said:
Wow, very nice footage. It's interesting to see how much detail this game has considering how "simple" the presentation is. The NPCs have nice minor idle animations, the minotaur boss actually loses his horns one by one as he gets damaged, the cave is initially too dark to explore unless you use a torch, etc. Looks like it could be quite a fun adventure to play. Can't wait.

Couldn't say any better.

duckroll said:

Wow, sounds like a game on the scale of FF5/FF6 if the completion time & number of sidequests comments are true. Definitely sounds great.

Hobbun

duckroll said:

Any word on something similar to the "bag" in the DQ games? I hope so, otherwise you are going to be running out of item space quickly. Especially with the 15 slots counting towards equipped items and no stacking.

Grampasso

Hobbun said:
Any word on something similar to the "bag" in the DQ games? I hope so, otherwise you are going to be running out of item space quickly. Especially with the 15 slots counting towards equipped items and no stacking.

I think this is the answer to your question:

duckroll said:
you can exchange items with the previous inventory using hiding places
or at least that's what I guessed from the informations we have until now about the game

duckroll said:

Yeah, I was wowed by the simple but impressive way that the different NPCs turn to look at you when you talk to them. This game seems like it has a ludicrous amount of polish.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Battles look a damn sight faster than FFIII, which is nice. I couldn't get through that game because of that.

Battles looked great on that! Not as fast as DQ, obviously, but still a darn sight faster than either 3D FF on DS.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm lovin' what I assume to be the battle theme.

Also, the music that starts immediately after the king scene reminds me of a Dragon Quest IX song.

batbeg

Giant baby-headed octopus will give me nightmares. Music is godly. Graphics are insane. Music is incredible. Art direction is fantastic. The music has it's hands down my pants right now.

Unf.

duckroll

I wasn't 100% sure if I would be getting this on day 1 previously, but with Alpha Protocol now delayed to 2052, it's a no brainer. :)

ethelred

neo2046 said:

That was a great trailer. I especially loved the shot of Bifrost. I have a feeling I'm really going to love the art direction and area design in this game.

Also, some pretty positive impressions from Jeremy Parish and the 1up RPG blog:

1up said:
I feel weird throwing Final Fantasy Gaiden: Four Warriors of Light in [the underdog category], but I'm going to do so just because I'm afraid it's not going to get the attention it deserves. If I recall correctly, Square Enix actually put this one on the other side of their booth, out of sight of regular showgoers. The two more prominent games were easily Final Fantasy XIII and the Crystal Bearers. But out of all the Final Fantasy games on the show floor though, I would say that Final Fantasy Gaiden was easily the most charming.

The graphics seem to have been painted in pastels, and the battle system is a throwback to the days of the original Final Fantasy. It's been described to me as "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest gone right," and I don't think that assessment is far wrong. It doesn't feel like this one is going to get a ton of attention, but it'll be a crime if it doesn't -- Four Warriors of Light looks to be one of the most refreshing Final Fantasy games in ages.

Parish said:
This game is going to be great. I think the cute art style and the streamlined combat system are throwing people off, but don't be distracted from the fact that 4 Warriors of Light is the work of the team behind the DS remakes of Final Fantasy III and IV. This time, they get to make their own classic-flavored take on Final Fantasy instead of coloring within someone else's lines. I can't wait to see what they come up with. I bet it's going to be a lot more challenging than most people expect, especially in light of the job system's seeming flexibility.

duckroll

charlequin said:
Was there a part in that trailer where it showed your party all turned into cats? OMG SO CUTE!

Either that, or at some point of the game you play from other points of view with their own party... which would also be interesting.

"If I recall correctly, Square Enix actually put this one on the other side of their booth, out of sight of regular showgoers."

So square is trying to kill CB and Gaiden?

Did Nintendo kill Wada's dog or something?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It sounds like the game is all about streamlining the battle system, and I'm all for it. Could end up being totally awesome.

d+pad

Hmmmm, the YouTube trailer listed above is now "private" and I can't seem to find any other clips of the TGS trailer on YouTube. Why would SE pull them down?

I think, or at least hope, that this game will thrive on word of mouth in case it doesn't come roaring out of the gate. DS games tend to have long legs.

duckroll

cartman414 said:
I think, or at least hope, that this game will thrive on word of mouth in case it doesn't come roaring out of the gate. DS games tend to have long legs.

Doesn't seem to help most S-E games unfortunately. 4WoL doesn't have multiplayer, or any online or wifi functions either, so it's not looking positive on that front...

duckroll

New scans have popped out. Brand new information this time.

Multiplayer mode: The game supports up to 4 players in a multiplayer mode where you can pick one of the 4 characters and join in the host player's game. This is probably wireless only, and not online.

Battle Points: Aside from exp, you also get battle points from winning battles. These points can be used to exchange for premium weapons and equipment it seems. It seems like this is another aspect which encourages multiplay, because it helps you grind for more battle points easily.

Equipment Upgrade: Like how Crowns can be leveled up by socketing gems into them, weapons and equipment also have gem slots which can be socketed to power them up. Ooooh. I wonder if their appearance will change after that...

The jobs showcased this time include: Ninja, Thief, Dancer, Magic Knight, Carouser, and Musician. The Dancer has abilities which can raise the AP of other characters, and also divide AP among the party apparently. The Carouser can use cheer, which allows party members to attack at the same time, and this increases the effectiveness of attacks. The Musician has various support abilities related to musican instruments, and there will be synergy abilities with the Bard as well. Interesting...

Top Bottom