• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: The 4 Heroes of Light coming to NA/EU this fall

Volcynika

I tried to find that thread about the ESRB rating and all that, but I suck at searching, only found the old official/announcement threads. So!

http://twitter.com/SquareEnixSonia

SquareEnixSonia

Wondering if #FinalFantasy Gaiden is coming to America?Have a feelin you'll find out in the a.m. ;) Might also wanna check out @1up then too

Looks like 1UP will have the story on it later this morning.

EDIT: Coming to EU in Fall, NA date is Oct 5th

PR

Write Yourself Into the Storybook World of FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT on October 5, 2010

Square Enix Announces North American Launch of the First Original FINAL FANTASY Game for Nintendo DS
LOS ANGELES, May 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is releasing FINAL FANTASY®: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT™ in North America on October 5, 2010. Developed exclusively for Nintendo DS™, this role-playing game is the first original FINAL FANTASY title for the platform.

With FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT, the FINAL FANTASY series is rendered anew as an epic storybook adventure by the creators of the FINAL FANTASY III and FINAL FANTASY IV Nintendo DS remakes. Players will enter a beautiful fairy-tale world featuring illustrations and character designs by acclaimed character designer Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY III for DS, FINAL FANTASY XII).

In addition to the vibrant artwork, this title introduces several all-new features to the franchise, including an Action Point Combat System that allows players to unleash their most powerful attacks by saving up their action points during battle. Players will also have over 20 jobs to choose from and dozens of abilities to master with the Crown Job System – a system that also changes the appearance of characters as they are equipped with new weapons and armor.

The game tells the tale of a young boy who sets out on a journey of self-discovery with his friends, only to be tasked with saving the world from an unexpected evil. With both single and multiplayer modes, FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT challenges players to take on the roles of four endearing characters who do not always see eye to eye. The multiplayer mode allows up to four players to work together and become the Heroes of Light as they travel alongside their friends on a journey to save the world.

Story:

In the small kingdom of Horne, Brandt awakes on the morning of his 14th birthday. Today is the day he becomes an adult, and the custom of the realm says that he must go to the castle to present himself to the king.

Yet when he arrives at the castle, he finds the king distraught and the youngest princess missing, abducted by the Witch of the North. With no one else to turn to, the king makes a shocking request: will Brandt save the princess?

And thus Brandt's adventure begins ...

Features:

- The first original FINAL FANTASY title for Nintendo DS brought to life by the development team behind the Nintendo DS remakes of FINAL FANTASY III and FINAL FANTASY IV.
- Charming storybook visuals crafted under the guidance of art director and character designer Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY III for DS, FINAL FANTASY XII).
- Combat is fun and intuitive with a battle system that operates on Action Points. Requiring nothing more than a simple selection of commands, players can dive right into a classic turn-based RPG battle experience.
- The Crown Job System offers a selection of over two dozen jobs to choose from. Players can freely customize a character's abilities and magic skills no matter which crown they have equipped. The possibilities are endless!
- Help friends advance in their adventure, or join forces to conquer tough dungeons. The multiplayer mode enables cooperative play for up to four players.

FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT will be available at North American retailers for the suggested retail price of $34.99. The official website can be found at http://ff4heroes.com.

Sacha

http://www.ff4heroes.com/
October 5th for US

PAL Boxart :
ml5qtc.jpg

MNC

So much DS spin off games, I should start keeping track and see which ones I have to play! And finish FF3 and 4 too :(

Relaxed Muscle said:
I was interested in the game, GAFJapan killed it with their impressions...
Same here. When I saw the artwork and screens for this game I was really pumped, but then I read the impressions and it doesn't seem like the game is stellar.

If it's as good as Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the DS (the one that came out on the wii as well), I'd dig it.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I was interested in the game, GAFJapan killed it with their impressions...
They did. A little. But I have to buy this to support English translations/releases of jRPGs for DS. I want MORE!

The system is a little dead to me...

madara

I have to support this game even if they botched the battle system. I want a separate Final Fantasy line that is more traditional extremely bad. This might not be a 2D HD Final Fantasy in vein of 4 through 6 but who knows maybe next time.

Volcynika

Guess I should try to track down a mod to change the title!

"Final Fantasy Gaiden: The 4 Heroes of Light coming to NA/EU this fall"

Kifimbo

PR:

Write Yourself Into the Storybook World of FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT on October 5, 2010

Square Enix Announces North American Launch of the First Original FINAL FANTASY Game for Nintendo DS
LOS ANGELES, May 27 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is releasing FINAL FANTASY®: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT™ in North America on October 5, 2010. Developed exclusively for Nintendo DS™, this role-playing game is the first original FINAL FANTASY title for the platform.

With FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT, the FINAL FANTASY series is rendered anew as an epic storybook adventure by the creators of the FINAL FANTASY III and FINAL FANTASY IV Nintendo DS remakes. Players will enter a beautiful fairy-tale world featuring illustrations and character designs by acclaimed character designer Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY III for DS, FINAL FANTASY XII).

In addition to the vibrant artwork, this title introduces several all-new features to the franchise, including an Action Point Combat System that allows players to unleash their most powerful attacks by saving up their action points during battle. Players will also have over 20 jobs to choose from and dozens of abilities to master with the Crown Job System – a system that also changes the appearance of characters as they are equipped with new weapons and armor.

The game tells the tale of a young boy who sets out on a journey of self-discovery with his friends, only to be tasked with saving the world from an unexpected evil. With both single and multiplayer modes, FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT challenges players to take on the roles of four endearing characters who do not always see eye to eye. The multiplayer mode allows up to four players to work together and become the Heroes of Light as they travel alongside their friends on a journey to save the world.

Story:

In the small kingdom of Horne, Brandt awakes on the morning of his 14th birthday. Today is the day he becomes an adult, and the custom of the realm says that he must go to the castle to present himself to the king.

Yet when he arrives at the castle, he finds the king distraught and the youngest princess missing, abducted by the Witch of the North. With no one else to turn to, the king makes a shocking request: will Brandt save the princess?

And thus Brandt's adventure begins ...

Features:

- The first original FINAL FANTASY title for Nintendo DS brought to life by the development team behind the Nintendo DS remakes of FINAL FANTASY III and FINAL FANTASY IV.
- Charming storybook visuals crafted under the guidance of art director and character designer Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY III for DS, FINAL FANTASY XII).
- Combat is fun and intuitive with a battle system that operates on Action Points. Requiring nothing more than a simple selection of commands, players can dive right into a classic turn-based RPG battle experience.
- The Crown Job System offers a selection of over two dozen jobs to choose from. Players can freely customize a character's abilities and magic skills no matter which crown they have equipped. The possibilities are endless!
- Help friends advance in their adventure, or join forces to conquer tough dungeons. The multiplayer mode enables cooperative play for up to four players.

FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. FINAL FANTASY: THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT will be available at North American retailers for the suggested retail price of $34.99. The official website can be found at http://ff4heroes.com.

Sinople

Have fun guys, my favorite game of 2009 =D

Dascu said:
Not that great, sadly. Some odd design choices like not being able to target your spells.

Not a problem at all once you figure how it works. The AI is not stupid and will do what you expect. It makes battles a bit faster actually.

Stumpokapow said:
No one in GAFJapan who played it liked it.

Blackace and Sprsk apparently disagree with this statement.

So I guess that means the auto-targeting system that ruined the game according to much of J-GAF IIRC is still intact. :(

Between this, Lufia DS, and the Falcom PSP games, there's been a lot of good announcements on the localization front lately. I wish they had stuck with 4 Warriors, but otherwise that box art looks really nice. Will probably pick this up when it gets released, especially since the opinion in the Japanese thread is more positive than implied earlier here.

This game is probably one of the biggest disappointments for me in a long time in terms of my expectations versus what it actually is. Was hoping for a 9/10 classic FF revival, got a deeply flawed 6/10.

CruxisMana said:
What did GAFJapan say?
As far as I could tell, most of them just complained about things that I didn't really see a problem with.

The two big complaints were "no manual targeting" and "really limited inventory"

Which I don't really think is much of a big deal.

PataHikari said:
As far as I could tell, most of them just complained about things that I didn't really see a problem with.

The two big complaints were "no manual targeting" and "really limited inventory"

Which I don't really think is much of a big deal.
Opinions are crazy things, dude. We'll see how people react when they can't fucking pick up any treasure because the bare essentials of survival are occupying every bloody inventory space they have.

Holy crap. This game is supposed to be pretty lousy but I'm tempted to support it just to try conditioning Square-Enix to understand how stupid the SE tax was. :lol

Mael

Segata Sanshiro said:
Opinions are crazy things, dude. We'll see how people react when they can't fucking pick up any treasure because the bare essentials of survival are occupying every bloody inventory space they have.

the targeting I can leave with but inventory space?
FUCK THIS SHIT!

It looks beautiful for a DS game but the issues that posters have mentioned pretty much scared me off of buying it. I think my time would be better spent learning some rudimentary Japanese so I can actually play my imported copy of 7th Dragon.

Tucah

you speak so well
I've heard terrible things about this game, but it's nice to see that it's at least $35 instead of $40.

I think that there's been so much criticism of certain features of the JP version that there's a decent chance they've been fixed for the US and EU versions. I guess previews will answer that question, though.

Foffy

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I think that there's been so much criticism of certain features of the JP version that there's a decent chance they've been fixed for the US and EU versions. I guess previews will answer that question, though.

A chunk of Square games get revisions and improvements in their international releases, like some Kingdom Hearts games, or Dissidia.

Father_Brain said:

This actually happens shockingly rarely, in my experience (although it happened to Glory of Heracles of all the bizarre things to qualify) so I'm not gonna get my hopes up. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I'll be there day 1, of course.
I'm happy to see that even while scaling back their support for the DS, they're not quite willing to give up on it entirely. FF Gaiden, allowing Natsume to (nostalgically) pick up Lufia DS, etc.

Top Bottom