Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII

Jul 30, 2004
744
0
0
37
#1
Square Enix filed for the trademark ''Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII'' with the USPTO on May 1, 2006. The following is the related filing:

Word Mark FINAL FANTASY HAERESIS XIII

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software; video game software; sound recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and/or semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or fictional stories; audio visual recordings in the form of optical discs, magnetic discs and/or semiconductor ROMs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded compact discs featuring music; prerecorded video discs featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; prerecorded video cassettes featuring music and/or animated fictional stories; decorative magnets; mouse pads; straps for cellular phones; sunglasses; blank memory cards; memory card cases; CD cases; video game controllers; downloadable computer graphic software containing wallpapers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable screensavers for computers and/or mobile phones; downloadable video recordings featuring cartoon characters and/or video game characters; downloadable musical sound recordings; downloadable sound recordings using human voices featuring morning calls and/or wake-up call messages; downloadable ring tones for mobile phones; downloadable electronic publications in the nature of magazines, journals and/or newsletters in the field of computer games, video games, cartoons and/or general entertainment
IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Computer game strategy guidebooks; video game strategy guidebooks; a series of books featuring fictional stories and/or fantasy stories; graphic art books; song books; musical score books; comic books; magazines featuring computer games, video games, cartoons and/or general entertainment; posters; stickers; paper banners; calendars; post cards; pens; pencils; pencil caps; pen cases; drawing rulers; rubber stamps; notebooks; collectors' cards; trading cards; photographs; photograph stands

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Dolls; toy figures; plush toys; stuffed toys; inflatable toys; toy vehicles; toy guns; toy swords; playing cards; card games; board games; jigsaw puzzles; hand held video game units

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing on-line computer games and/or on-line video games; providing information on computer game strategies and/or video game strategies via computer networks and/or global communication networks; providing information on entertainment in the field of computer games, video games, card games, animated cartoons, comics, novels and/or magazines; providing on-line non-downloadable comics; providing on-line non-downloadable magazines in the field of computer games, video games, cartoons and/or general entertainment

Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 26.17.13 - Letters or words underlined and/or overlined by one or more strokes or lines; Overlined words or letters; Underlined words or letters
Serial Number 78873711
Filing Date May 1, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1B;44E
Original Filing Basis 1B;44E
Owner (APPLICANT) Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix (also trading as Square Enix Co., Ltd.) CORPORATION JAPAN 3-22-7 Yoyogi, Shibuya-ku Tokyo JAPAN
Attorney of Record Mark I. Peroff
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
 
Dec 27, 2005
3,902
0
0
#12
mutsu said:
They are basically using the franchise to print money.

I SINCERELY hope that this will not happen to my beloved Dragon Quest franchise. PLEASE.
As long as they can keep the integrity and quality of the main games intact, they can have at it.

It would be nice if the put those teams on some more original projects, or at least multiple other franchises though.
 
Mar 2, 2006
2,237
1
0
40
Italy
#13
I think they're doing this not to lose partnership with none of the three big houses and doing a "line of games" based on the next FF and involving probably most of the next gen consoles.
It seems similar to the "Mana Project" introduced in the Seiken Densetsu series (which involves Dawn of Mana PS2 and Children of Mana DS atm) but much more expanded.
 
Apr 15, 2005
3,399
0
0
Sydney, Australia
#14
Grampasso said:
I think they're doing this not to lose partnership with none of the three big houses and doing a "line of games" based on the next FF and involving probably most of the next gen consoles.
It seems similar to the "Mana Project" introduced in the Seiken Densetsu series (which involves Dawn of Mana PS2 and Children of Mana DS atm) but much more expanded.
PS still getting the "main" Final Fantasy games though.

All Nintendo is getting is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and Microsoft the online Final Fantasy game(s) in Final Fantasy XI.
 
Jun 12, 2004
1,856
0
0
#15
mutsu said:
They are basically using the franchise to print money.

I SINCERELY hope that this will not happen to my beloved Dragon Quest franchise. PLEASE.
Agreed. Final Fantasy really hasn't been the same since Sakaguchi left Square.

"I think they're doing this not to lose partnership with none of the three big houses and doing a "line of games" based on the next FF and involving probably most of the next gen consoles."

I think they just want an opportunity to re-use the same resources for more than one game and give the fans of the game more of what they want. I'd be surprised if the FF:XIII games weren't all for PS3.
 

Grivenger

Matsuno's Goebbels
Feb 26, 2006
1,281
89
1,100
29
Portugal
#16
Well, Square already confirmed that the FNC: FFXIII project would have more than three games. I really like the idea of this compilation: Different games, same universe and mythos.
 

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jun 18, 2004
49,330
0
1,550
#21
The development costs for the latest FFs must be enormous. It's no wonder they want to reuse assets for making spinoffs of subsequent FFs from now on.
 
Oct 9, 2005
5,285
0
0
#22
i hope all these spin-offs dont dilute and take away from the main FFXIII itself. this is the first one made with spin-offs in mind, so it kind of worries me

maybe SE is trying to spread their resources to other consoles (wii anybody?) in case nobody takes the plunge to buy a ps3 by the time the game comes out
 
Jul 27, 2005
957
0
0
#23
Maybe because that PS3 is powerful enough to make CG-like cutscene, PS3 is actually saving SE development cost. Now SE can just use PS3 to produce cutscenes and they can accomodate all those CG budget to other stuff
 

Ceb

Member
Jul 8, 2004
4,894
1
0
#24
Square Enix is all about their "three pillars" nowadays. We can just forget about a new Chrono, Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story...
 
Apr 28, 2006
1,764
0
0
#25
Anyone else feel utterly indifferent towards this..."anthology"?

Oy...the only FFs I've enjoyed are 6 and 9...and the only ones I'm looking forward to are 3 and 12...

I guess that means I'll have to wait for 15...
 
Oct 9, 2005
5,285
0
0
#26
Ceb said:
Square Enix is all about their "three pillars" nowadays. We can just forget about a new Chrono, Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story...
chrono trigger was the brain child of several top teir developers and artists that will probably never have time on their schedule to work together again or for a very long time. ... when they tried to make another one without them you got chrono cross -- which is was pretty horrible depending on who you ask

all these people clamor for chrono 3 ... but if it came they'd probably be wishing it hadnt
 
Jun 10, 2004
6,725
0
0
#27
Ceb said:
Square Enix is all about their "three pillars" nowadays. We can just forget about a new Chrono, Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story...
They're focusing on the "three pillars" because as of right now the company isn't exactly raking it in hand over fist. They need to get some profits flowing, get the initial generational transition payed for as well as resources to help cheapen the rest of game development, then we'll see them open up the playbook as it where and try to bring on new IPs. That was their strategy in the PS1 era, heavy FF with a few other titles sprinkled in until 7 and 8 had made them a killing, then they started greenlighting a lot of other stuff. It was a much more successful generation for Square than the last. Enix on the other hand has typically been real DQ heavy anyways.
 
Jul 30, 2004
744
0
0
37
#29
Drek said:
They're focusing on the "three pillars" because as of right now the company isn't exactly raking it in hand over fist. They need to get some profits flowing, get the initial generational transition payed for as well as resources to help cheapen the rest of game development, then we'll see them open up the playbook as it where and try to bring on new IPs. That was their strategy in the PS1 era, heavy FF with a few other titles sprinkled in until 7 and 8 had made them a killing, then they started greenlighting a lot of other stuff. It was a much more successful generation for Square than the last. Enix on the other hand has typically been real DQ heavy anyways.
IAWTP. I expect 13 spinoffs for FF XIII.
 
Feb 2, 2006
5,327
1
0
36
#30
-Damien- said:
Maybe because that PS3 is powerful enough to make CG-like cutscene, PS3 is actually saving SE development cost. Now SE can just use PS3 to produce cutscenes and they can accomodate all those CG budget to other stuff
Wow. just, wow.

In cg cutscenes they can create shots from one camera perspective and not worry about anything beyond. In the game world, they need to make sure you can see things from all perspectives. So by your logic, if the PS3 can produce CG quality in-game graphics, their budget will actually increase, not decrease, and by quite a bit! Producing high quality artwork is expensive, no matter how you look at it.
 
Jun 11, 2004
6,726
0
0
#31
At this point, it seems like they are just using the name Final Fantasy to make the game sell. It's really more of a Kitase/Nomura pet project series of what appear to be action/RPG games than anything else.
 
Jun 10, 2004
6,725
0
0
#35
Pellham said:
At this point, it seems like they are just using the name Final Fantasy to make the game sell. It's really more of a Kitase/Nomura pet project series of what appear to be action/RPG games than anything else.
Isn't that all FF has ever really been though? Square had Sakaguchi running the show for years. Since the PS1 era though he's been transitioning out, with Kitase and Nomura taking over. It'll now be fully realized without any of the pretenses since Sakaguchi has left.

My only question is, how does Horii and Matsuno factor into their next gen plans? Probably safe to assume Horii will continue to steer the DQ franchise, but I'd love having him give an FF title a go some time. And what about Matsuno? FFXII is getting serious acclaim, will they transition him to FFXIV or will they let him produce some non-FF titles like a new Ogre Battle, Vagrant Story, etc. in an attempt to establish something other than Kingdom Hearts, DQ, and FF as sellable IPs.

The Kingdom Hearts 2 crew is working on FFversusXIII, I'd love it if Square Enix gave Matsuno the reigns for Kingdom Hearts 3. :lol
 
Jun 6, 2004
46,403
6
1,495
US
#36
Ceb said:
Square Enix is all about their "three pillars" nowadays. We can just forget about a new Chrono, Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story...
:(

I know.

Do we really need four FF13 games.
Ugh.

FF13, Chrono, Parasite Eve and maybe another FFT or Vagrant Story-like game would just kick ass.

Why are they doing this? Geez. Whatever happened to one numbered Final Fantasy and other Square games? A new Chrono would definitely sell! Come on, Square!

This is kind of ridiculous.

Do you think we're just going to get four FF13 games over the span of five years before ANYTHING ELSE FF related?

And since there are so many spinoffs, is this gonna mess up the real FF13 since they're doing so much with the story?
 
Apr 16, 2005
16,569
0
0
#37
Hopefully for PSP!! YAY!

Also I'm happy to learn Final Fantasy XII will have a realtime battle system. Hopefully it'll also have an open world like XII
 
Jun 11, 2004
6,726
0
0
#39
Drek said:
Isn't that all FF has ever really been though? Square had Sakaguchi running the show for years. Since the PS1 era though he's been transitioning out, with Kitase and Nomura taking over. It'll now be fully realized without any of the pretenses since Sakaguchi has left.

My only question is, how does Horii and Matsuno factor into their next gen plans? Probably safe to assume Horii will continue to steer the DQ franchise, but I'd love having him give an FF title a go some time. And what about Matsuno? FFXII is getting serious acclaim, will they transition him to FFXIV or will they let him produce some non-FF titles like a new Ogre Battle, Vagrant Story, etc. in an attempt to establish something other than Kingdom Hearts, DQ, and FF as sellable IPs.

The Kingdom Hearts 2 crew is working on FFversusXIII, I'd love it if Square Enix gave Matsuno the reigns for Kingdom Hearts 3. :lol
Yeah it is pretty much what Final Fantasy has become. However there was some semblance of gameplay continuity among the games up until FF10. :p

I would assume Horii will continue to manage the DQ pillar, and Matsuno is pretty much gone if rumors are true. That would bury the Ogre series. :(

There is still the lovable Akitoshi Kawazu for quirky non-pillar Square games. I want a remake of SaGa 2 and Romancing SaGa 2!
 
#40
OK, look. If you still don't understand Square Enix's polymorphism strategy 3 years after they revealed it, you need to start paying more attention.

Let's take a look:

- Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
- World of Mana
- Code Age Commanders
- Fabula Nova Crystallis
- To a lesser extent, Full Metal Alchemist

Wow, I wonder what these franchises have in common?

That's right, they're designed from the ground up to be platform independent, medium independent IP. What's that mean? That from day 1, they're designed to be flexible concepts that can be incorporated in any entertainment medium: videogames, movies, manga, miscellaneous toys, comics, cellphone software, websites, etc.

For Square Enix, this means profit++ if executed well. FMA shows that Enix knew how to get it done, and Compilation of FFVII shows that with the right branding, the Square side can leverage it too.

For consumers and gamers, it means more games overall. Instead of investing in many different standalone games and concepts that rely on themselves to succeed, Square Enix invests in a single concept and implements that across platforms, media and genres. Instead of being stuck with Final Fantasy XIII as an RPG by the FFX-2 team (which many of you hated), you get FFXIII by the FFX-2 team, FFXIII by the KH Nomura squad, FFXIII Online for cellphones, and probably any and all other applications of FFXIII you can think of.

Is this milking? Sure. To an extent, it's designing a franchise to be milked from the ground up. But it's also great for us, because we get to see multiple facets of the same universe. We're not limited to a tiny snapshot that exists only for a short period of time after its launch. Instead we get almost every idea the development team comes up with in regard to that universe, in many different digestible forms.

I can't see many downsides to this. Fabula Nova Crystallis will no doubt allow us to explore a lot of aspects of this universe, from a traditional next-gen linear console RPG to a KH-style high grade action title and a multiplayer mobile iteration. You can take as little or as much away from it as you want.

Why is everyone complaining about it?
 
#43
Diablos said:
Because we yearn for the days of Chrono, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, FFT, etc.
No, you yearn for good games. You just happened to be younger and less jaded/experienced when you played the Squaresoft pre-2000 titles, and therefore have not only a nostalgic attachment to them, but because you played them earlier, they feel fresher.

Good games can still come from the new polymorphism model. These games can be as innovative as Chrono Trigger, as deep and intelligent as Vagrant Story or as strategic as FFT. Polymorphism doesn't attach franchises to specific development teams or platforms. If polymorphism executes well, you will get everything you need, because you'll be an audience and Square Enix will develop a title to address that audience.
 
Mar 21, 2005
22,106
1
0
#46
I love the idea. I hope it works out.

Oh... and to all the people saying "IT'S ALL BECAUSE SAKAGUCHI LEFT!!!" you might want to consider that Sakaguchi intended for FFIX to be the last 'traditional' FF and the series would start changing/evolving/taking new risks. Even though Sakaguchi is now with Mistwalker, his idea has been going forward. I find it funny when people use Sakaguchi leaving as the reason Square and FF "aren't as good as the old days" when it was his FFTSW that damn near ended the company and it took 5 years to play catch-up to it's colossal failure.

anyway, more FFXIII please. :)

must...have...more...information/screens/character designs!!!
 

Ceb

Member
Jul 8, 2004
4,894
1
0
#47
Rahul said:
Good games can still come from the new polymorphism model. These games can be as innovative as Chrono Trigger, as deep and intelligent as Vagrant Story or as strategic as FFT. Polymorphism doesn't attach franchises to specific development teams or platforms. If polymorphism executes well, you will get everything you need, because you'll be an audience and Square Enix will develop a title to address that audience.
For me polymorphic content means that even though I'm not super-interested in a new Mana, I can count on at least two or three internal divisions being wasted on it for years to come.
 
Apr 16, 2005
16,569
0
0
#48
TheJollyCorner said:
I love the idea. I hope it works out.

Oh... and to all the people saying "IT'S ALL BECAUSE SAKAGUCHI LEFT!!!" you might want to consider that Sakaguchi intended for FFIX to be the last 'traditional' FF and the series would start changing/evolving/taking new risks. Even though Sakaguchi is now with Mistwalker, his idea has been going forward. I find it funny when people use Sakaguchi leaving as the reason Square and FF "aren't as good as the old days" when it was his FFTSW that damn near ended the company and it took 5 years to play catch-up to it's colossal failure.

anyway, more FFXIII please. :)

must...have...more...information/screens/character designs!!!
I also love the idea. Completely different strylines set in the same universe. It kinda reminds of Silent Hill, where there's a different storyline in each game but they all revolve around the town.

Anyway if you don't want the spinoffs then just get FFXIII and call it a day. You won't need the other games to understand what's going on. The other games will just probably expand on the mythos.
 
Jun 11, 2004
6,726
0
0
#49
Sakaguchi leaving had no impact on S-E at all. He had already been demoted to a "window seat" after the FF movie bombing and his input into games after FF7 was minimal at best. Kitase deserves all the credit that fanboys keep lumping onto Sakaguchi.

People also talk about all the key talent that left for mistwalker. Again, a bunch of game artists and programmers leaving has no impact on S-E. The real people that would be a huge loss if they left would be Kitase, Kawazu, Horii, Nomura, etc., all of the actual game producers/directors. (I know I left some people out, but i'm not a square expert).
 
Mar 14, 2006
23,007
0
0
36
Los Angeles
#50
Diablos said:
Because we yearn for the days of Chrono, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, FFT, etc.
Those games all sold kinda meagerly/people complained about non stop. SE knows that FF sells better than anything so I'm guessing they'll deal with some griping for the increased sales the FFXIII spin offs provide over a Vagrant Story or Chrono Cross.