• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy is my mental breakdown

Final fantasy is probably my favorite franchise. No, it it my favorite franchise. Love every game for different reasons. As I have said in many threads before I love the gameplay, music, characters, the worlds, the story, even grinding and farming is fun in most of the games. I also really like the enemy design.

The Final Fantasy games really takes you on a journey that you never want to end. At least that’s my experience. Every Final Fantasy I’ve experienced had made me totally beak down emotionally and had such a strong impact on me. I often think back on memories and on special moments I’ve had with every FF game. Haven’t played all, but most of them.

I never get tired of all the soundtracks, so many of them I can listen to on repeat. But today I realized I haven’t listened to any FF in a while.. so I started my FF playlist (a mix from all games) and the feeling wasn’t what I expected. I felt exited at first, loving the music, but then I got overwhelmed by emotions. Even though I absolutely love the Final Fantasy franchise, it’s a bittersweet feeling listening to it now. I have so many memories, moments and feelings connected to every game that some days it’s just too emotional. I think, subconsciously, I had avoided the music because of the emotional effects it has on me. But some days it’s not as emotional and it instead makes me happy.

Final Fantasy will always, no matter what, have a special place in my heart. 💚

I know many here have strong connections to games, that are special, emotional and/or a little bittersweet. To be totally honest, I don’t really know what I wanted out of this thread, haha. But why not continue the story time? Tell me a game related story. It can be a funny memory, an overall experience, something emotional, a moment that made you angry or really whatever you feel like telling!

Thank you for taking the time to read and I look forward reading your stories ❤️

Final Fantasy Otherworld GIF

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My dad died shortly before the original FFVII came out on PlayStation and a very good friend of mine at the time bought it for me because he’d read that it was an engrossing story that would take me hours and that if I wanted to, it could probably take some of the nightmare of what was happening in my real life.

I admit I threw myself into that game, levelling up every character and getting away from the real world.

It didn’t take the raw pain away but it helped and for that I am forever grateful for Final Fantasy VII.

Pejo

Final Fantasy is what got me into gaming as a hobby instead of casually playing Mario and sports games. I have a sincere fondness for 1-12, 11 is probably my favorite gaming experience of all time, but from 13 onwards they really lost me. I used to be able to buy anything with Final Fantasy on the box sight unseen and have a great time, now it's almost synonymous with disaster. Even remakes and stuff of that nature aren't safe anymore. They keep changing vital components of the games such as story, gameplay, etc - and it feels like a completely different genre/series.

I'm not too bitter about it anymore, though I used to be. Now I can just accept that I got 12 great games, a few fun spinoffs, and leave it at that.

TheAssist

I simply love that feeling of going on an adventure with a group of friends that you meet along the way. And not other series embodies this as much as the FF series.
The franchise had its fair share of downturns, but FF7 remake has reignited my love and hope for the future of the franchise.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
From the many forums I've been on it has a less-than-stellar reputation among the more hardcore jrpg fans. It is kinda seen as babby's first foray into the genre. But I digress.

None of the games are in my top 10, maybe not even top 20, but as a franchise overall yeah I'd say its my favorite. IV through X are just back-to-back solid bangers. Never got into XI but its obviously a special game for many people. Ever since XII, however, development problems have plagued these games nonstop. XII lost its director. XIII came at a time when japanese developers were getting over the HD hump. XIV and XV development histories speak for themselves. XVI is really going to be a test as to whether those days are finally over.

It is definetly one of my favorite franchises, but I find myself not really liking the later entries, XIII XV, and I didnt really play the MMO ones. But those first 9 games, I can find things within them that I really enjoy, and the changes to the systems/characters/stories from game to game, really help it stand out for me. A really great series, I hope XVI is also great, but my expectations are low.

YukiOnna

Love the franchise, better of the two between FF and DQ for me. When such a long-running one is going, you're going to have some bad apples, but I'll always judge on title by title basis since each one is so different. It's still the pinnacle title that comes to mind when I think of JRPG. FFXIV's revival came at a great time and I can't wait for XVI.

It's more recent, but FFXIV especially helped through some rough waters since the amazing journey in the story always has a lot of messages that resonated with me and an awesome community.

Final Fantasy overtook Megaman for my favorite franchise awhile back. The characters and sense of discovery and exploration are just so good.

Even my most disappointed FF game has one of the best endings ever (FFXV). The music is next to none and the presentation is always leagues above the rest.

One of my fave memories is finding out that there was a X-2 by chance hanging out at a friends place. It was dusted up under a shelf and he was like yea dude u can borrow that idc.

Was taken back at how whacky it was but 1000 Words hit soooo hard for me as a kid.

Last edited:

kikii

Same here, OP.. especially FFXIV. It gives me all those feelings. Everything from the characters, story, music.

It's the game that restored my faith in the Final Fantasy franchise.

Was listening to the Shadowbringers soundtrack on the way to work today.
ohh yes +1 =)

211W2tN.png

Final Fantasy X was my first FF game. I will never forget the amazing music, gameplay, world, visuals and monsters design. Oh and of course great story.

Auron and Lulu are my favorite. When I was a kid my parents bought me a ps2 with 2 games FF X and State of Emergency. I was 11 years old. I miss the old simple times. Too bad FF15 was an insult to the fans. Hopefully FF16 is back to the roots.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Final fantasy is probably my favorite franchise. No, it it my favorite franchise. Love every game for different reasons. As I have said in many threads before I love the gameplay, music, characters, the worlds, the story, even grinding and farming is fun in most of the games. I also really like the enemy design.

The Final Fantasy games really takes you on a journey that you never want to end. At least that’s my experience. Every Final Fantasy I’ve experienced had made me totally beak down emotionally and had such a strong impact on me. I often think back on memories and on special moments I’ve had with every FF game. Haven’t played all, but most of them.

I never get tired of all the soundtracks, so many of them I can listen to on repeat. But today I realized I haven’t listened to any FF in a while.. so I started my FF playlist (a mix from all games) and the feeling wasn’t what I expected. I felt exited at first, loving the music, but then I got overwhelmed by emotions. Even though I absolutely love the Final Fantasy franchise, it’s a bittersweet feeling listening to it now. I have so many memories, moments and feelings connected to every game that some days it’s just too emotional. I think, subconsciously, I had avoided the music because of the emotional effects it has on me. But some days it’s not as emotional and it instead makes me happy.

Final Fantasy will always, no matter what, have a special place in my heart. 💚

I know many here have strong connections to games, that are special, emotional and/or a little bittersweet. To be totally honest, I don’t really know what I wanted out of this thread, haha. But why not continue the story time? Tell me a game related story. It can be a funny memory, an overall experience, something emotional, a moment that made you angry or really whatever you feel like telling!

Thank you for taking the time to read and I look forward reading your stories ❤️

Final Fantasy Otherworld GIF
I loved FF as a kid. FFVI gave me some of my fondest gaming memories but I checked out after X and never looked back. I feel bad for you OP

Last edited:

Allandor

I loved FF as a kid. FFVI gave me aome.of my fondest gaming memories but I checked out after X and never looked back. I feel bad for you OP
Same here. FFX broke with the "open world" concept. FFX-2 was ... well fan-service but not more. FF12 ... really not my type of a game. Tried it years later and it is still weak (IMHO). FFXIII was ... well almost like X but with less story and less character development. XIII-2/3 were ... I really couldn't play them long. Just to bad. FFXV .. I played through it hoping that at some point it get's better but really never got better. It is just a bad and broken FF game. This one totally destroyed my hopes for the series.
Well for me the series died with FFX.

I played the FF VII remake a few month ago. It has some nice touches but overall it is just a whole other game and tries to be something totally different. Not enough of the original FFVII inside for me.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Same here. FFX broke with the "open world" concept. FFX-2 was ... well fan-service but not more. FF12 ... really not my type of a game. Tried it years later and it is still weak (IMHO). FFXIII was ... well almost like X but with less story and less character development. XIII-2/3 were ... I really couldn't play them long. Just to bad. FFXV .. I played through it hoping that at some point it get's better but really never got better. It is just a bad and broken FF game. This one totally destroyed my hopes for the series.
Well for me the series died with FFX.

I played the FF VII remake a few month ago. It has some nice touches but overall it is just a whole other game and tries to be something totally different. Not enough of the original FFVII inside for me.
I heard good things about 12 but couldn't be bothered after how much I hated X

base

Banned
Final Fantasy X was my first FF game. I will never forget the amazing music, gameplay, world, visuals and monsters design. Oh and of course great story.

Auron and Lulu are my favorite. When I was a kid my parents bought me a ps2 with 2 games FF X and State of Emergency. I was 11 years old. I miss the old simple times. Too bad FF15 was an insult to the fans. Hopefully FF16 is back to the roots.
FFXV wasn't an insult. Like every othe FF it was great in its own way.

Vandole

I was obsessed with the original final Fantasy as well as Final Fantasy 2/IV. In fact, I played FFIV so much that I started speed running it, and could complete the game in just under 13 hours.

And to this day, the most I've ever spent on a video game was for a FFV SFC cartridge back in 1997. I got it from an import game store and despite the fact that translated copies would come out in just a few years later, I don't regret the $85 I blew on that.

Top Bottom