• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY IV DS SCANS !

MrDaravon

Teasel said:
that's not true

four.jpg

:lol :lol

Aegus said:
Nomura-fied Zidane looks horrible.

Zidane looks better than the older one and definately better than the one designed by Yoshitaka Amano. You Nomura haters are pathetic and jaded. You guys are getting more annoying everday.

Stalfos

Odrion said:
Why can't they just skip these earlier games and remake FF6? :[

So they can make improvements on the game engine and make FF6 even better than if it were in development now?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
11 pages and no comparison shots? C'mon GAF.

Here's some I whipped up just then (hosting on lame imageshack). Some pics aren't directly in line, i.e. Misty Cave and the town shots but I couldn't find anything else really.

ffiv1hq8.png

ffiv2mr8.png

ffiv3vm9.png

ffiv4va3.png

Thanks to Namomura for supplying links to scan.

Aegus

GeneralIroh said:
Zidane looks better than the older one and definately better than the one designed by Yoshitaka Amano. You Nomura haters are pathetic and jaded. You guys are getting more annoying everday.

I'm about to explode right now because Nomura was the main character designer for my most favourite of games, FFVII. The thought of Nomura drawing Tifa's curves is causing my internal organs to form into some sort of bomb that will take out a sizeable chunk of the world....

Oh wait, I actually like the original FFVII character designs because they aren't just wearing a big zip or belt buckle and are in hindsight noticably different from the stuff he outputs now. (Probably because he seems to like doing thick black lines now)

I'm not that big a fan of Amano's when I think about it although seeing his actual designs spring to life like a painting in a game would be good money.

rod

Banned
jesus ****in christ i wake up to this!!!! i hope they follow on and remake 5 and 6 and what the hell 7 also. any release date/speculation yet for ffiv ds?

Teasel said:
that's not true

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y296/wahoninja/four.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I hope to God that this is not a spoiler. FFIV is one of the few Final Fantasies that I have yet to play. I'm really anticipating this remake.

Saoh

CurseoftheGods said:
I hope to God that this is not a spoiler. FFIV is one of the few Final Fantasies that I have yet to play. I'm really anticipating this remake.

well..... not quite.

My Chemical Mouse said:
Dissidia : Final Fantasy looks amazing. Extreme yawn @ FFIV DS, dont know why thats in the title and FF:pSP isn't. No comment on the rehashing of FFXII.

IIRC Dissidia has already had a topic of its own.

Namomura

does anyone know when the SQUARE ENIX conference will start today in Japan ? probably in a few hours from now I guess. I'm still waiting for Kingdom Hearts spin off on Nintendo DS :)

Eteric Rice

Namomura said:
does anyone know when the SQUARE ENIX conference will start today in Japan ? probably in a few hours from now I guess. I'm still waiting for Kingdom Hearts spin off on Nintendo DS :)

I thought it was supposed to be Saturday.

Namomura said:
KH on DS? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAHAHA

KH is so going to be on PSP. Quote me on it.

also
plz announce Dissidia DS with
Link
as an unlockable plzzzzzzzzz

speedpop said:
11 pages and no comparison shots? C'mon GAF.

Here's some I whipped up just then (hosting on lame imageshack). Some pics aren't directly in line, i.e. Misty Cave and the town shots but I couldn't find anything else really

Thanks to Namomura for supplying links to scan.
Nice. I'm really warming up to the style.

Aegus

CurseoftheGods said:
BTW, I think Nomura's take on Zidane is great.

I love Amano, but I prefer Nomura's character designs so far.

Please don't kill me. :(

We'll let you live for now :D

I'll say this though, Nomura designs are one of the reasons people say SE are growing stale, or rather the FF brand is. He's the character designer for 4 of the last 6 (not including 11, but including 13) FF main series games. The first 6 FFs although designed by Amano were hampered from an art perspective by their 2Dness. His designs weren't really in the games per se, but rather just the main features of the characters so people really couldn't get bored of his designs.

So yeah most people are probably just burned out from Nomura designs and SE would do well to take him off character design duties for a couple of years and put him on monster design or something.

Symytry

marsomega said:
All those FF DS screens makes me long for Panzer Dragoon remake on the DS. The whole series please....

That would be fantastic if the team was still intact. But it's not, so this would probably be a terrible idea.

Namomura

Matix said:
OOOOrly, but the details will be under a NDA right?!

No, i really don't think so. Square Enix likes japanese TV to broadcast their conference the same day.

Eteric Rice said:
Would they announce anything at the conference?

A new Kingdom Hearts game should be announced, I’m actually quite surprised we didn’t heard about it in this week jap mags. There's also a new Star Ocean maybe :)

Namomura said:
No, i really don't think so. Square Enix likes japanese TV to broadcast their conference the same day.

A new Kingdom Hearts game should be announced, I’m actually quite surprised we didn’t heard about it in this week jap mags. There's also a new Star Ocean maybe :)

KH and Star Ocean ahhhhhhh *kermit.gif

Tabris

OK, can anyone here say with a straight face that you wouldn't want a game that looks like the first part of that scan over what's in the second half of the scan?

I mean you could do a literal transation of Amano's art on PS2/PSP/Wii/GCN/XBox/360/PS3. Something like Okami, graphically, in terms of the cel-shading and colouring.

Seriousely, anywhere but the DS would have been a better choice graphically, and remakes are all about the graphics. Disappointment total.

FYI, Dissidia looks stupid too.

tnw

Banned
Aegus said:
We'll let you live for now :D

I'll say this though, Nomura designs are one of the reasons people say SE are growing stale, or rather the FF brand is. He's the character designer for 4 of the last 6 (not including 11, but including 13) FF main series games. The first 6 FFs although designed by Amano were hampered from an art perspective by their 2Dness. His designs weren't really in the games per se, but rather just the main features of the characters so people really couldn't get bored of his designs.

So yeah most people are probably just burned out from Nomura designs and SE would do well to take him off character design duties for a couple of years and put him on monster design or something.

Wasn't the whole reason they switched away from Nomura's style because it would have been too difficult to render in 3D with the limited power of the playstation etc at the time?

What's holding them back from trying to do gorgeously decadent amano game? Probably that they've built a fan base for Nomura style=Square and they don't want to lose teh monies.

Tabris said:
OK, can anyone here say with a straight face that you wouldn't want a game that looks like the first part of that scan over what's in the second half of the scan?
Yes. FFIV looks and plays archaic and it's a big stumbling block for me whenever I try to play it.

AniHawk

Johnas said:
How old are you? Just curious, serious question.

I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy an RPG from so long ago if I were playing it for the first time today.

I'm 21, and I played it for the first time about 2 years ago. The game has aged horribly from whatever fond memories people must have.

I bought VI Advance, but I'm afraid to give it a go. It's been 7 years and that's probably not as good as I remember either.

Tabris

ShockingAlberto said:
Yes. FFIV looks and plays archaic and it's a big stumbling block for me whenever I try to play it.

That's not the question though. The question is, in that japanese magazine scan, there's some amazing Amano art at top and there's SD 3D DS-style graphics below. You're telling me you wouldn't want a literal translation of that art style (with correct porportions) over this?

Tabris

AniHawk said:
I'm 21, and I played it for the first time about 2 years ago. The game has aged horribly from whatever fond memories people must have.

I bought VI Advance, but I'm afraid to give it a go. It's been 7 years and that's probably not as good as I remember either.

VI is awesome. Best music ever in a video game probabaly. I prefer Suikoden II and Xenogears more due to my tastes, but VI is third and first in general taste. It has a very cool setting (think industrial steampunk) and has some very cool scenes. It's not the best thing ever, but it's the best thing on the SNES, that's for sure.

AniHawk said:

What didn't you like about it? I am wondering if I should even bother to be excited about this remake...

AniHawk

CurseoftheGods said:
What didn't you like about it? I am wondering if I should even bother to be excited about this remake...

-Story is ridiculous, even for a Final Fantasy game
-Characters are nonexistent
-gameplay is dated
-game is less than 10 hours long (I got to the end in 8 on my first play through. ...though I dont know if IVa is easytype).

tnw

Banned
AniHawk said:

bah, you're a kid. I played right when it came out (best christmas present evar <3) and since then. It's not terrible.

And at the time, the game was absolutely gorgeous. The music was great too. The transparancies, the colors, etc. It was beautiful

Maybe to a 21 year old it's rediculous, but it wasn't to me. The fact that it actually had an evolving story, unlike FF1, was pretty special for an RPG at the time. I think you're being pretty hard on it.

AniHawk said:
-gameplay is dated
-game is less than 10 hours long (I got to the end in 8 on my first play through. ...though I dont know if IVa is easytype).

theres no way you are talking about the same game i played. 10 hours? no freaking way, not unless you were speed running.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AniHawk said:
-gameplay is dated

There are surprisingly few lines of dialog (I remembered it being much more, but hey). The story development is almost nonexistent; things are pushed along in short little dialog bursts that occur at every castle. It's not a complex story, and the characters sacrificing themselves every five minutes is unbelievable, but it's not bad. It's still a fairly entertaining story...cliched conversion, love story, betrayal, then the big surprise in the end.

What's so bad about the gameplay? Realistically it's not really all that much different from some of the other FFs.

Music is fantastic too.

It is really short, though 10 hours short?

I'm curious...did you play FF3 DS?

AniHawk said:
-gameplay is dated

Hm... No wonder they're remaking this game. I never knew it was this short. :lol

So the story is not good at all? Or is it just "shallow" like FFIII [DS]?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tabris said:
That's not the question though. The question is, in that japanese magazine scan, there's some amazing Amano art at top and there's SD 3D DS-style graphics below. You're telling me you wouldn't want a literal translation of that art style (with correct porportions) over this?
Of course I'd love an Amano graphical style game, but the game was announced for DS. If I didn't enjoy what I saw I would not buy the ****ing thing. Can we please get over this already?

AniHawk

pancakesandsex said:
theres no way you are talking about the same game i played. 10 hours? no freaking way, not unless you were speed running.

I wasn't speedrunning. I was pretty much going from place to place, killing all the bosses, sacrificing all my main players. The entire game felt like the part from Spaceballs where they fastforward the movie.

It may have been a fantastic title way back in the early 90s, but it just hasn't aged well.

Tabris

Start what? You mean trying to find out why someone would not want a closer translation of Amano's art style instead of SD art.

I mean did they hire the guy who does character designs for super robot wars? cause it looks just as dumb as that does.

Top Bottom